Drugs

jonniemarbles

Anyone else think it would be interesting if you sometimes found drugs in-game?

Weed would reduce stress but have a chance to make you paranoid, also increase hunger.

Speed would reduce the need for sleep and increase awareness for a while, then you suddenly need to crash for like 15 hours. Prolonged use might increase paranoia. Perhaps it could also decrease your boredom threshold (OMG I NEED TO DO ALL THE THINGS) and increase the rate at which you do things like transfer inventory, build, farm, whatevs. As a side note, amphetamines could be found in army bases as well as on corpses as for reals they fucking pump soldiers full of that shit.

Coke would work similarly to the above but perhaps your panic level is reduced when facing zombies (I can take all these mothas! I AM THE GREATEST!). It would also give us a use for the sheets of paper and credit cards we keep finding :P

Ecstasy: makes you run outside and hug the nearest zombie and tell them how much you really, you know, love them, even though you've just met, you've got this real deep connection, you know?

Heroin would work as a strong painkiller, also reducing stress and totally fucking your co-ordination. You would then suffer withdrawal - a nasty cold, fever etc. Reading this description back to myself I'm not sure how useful it would be unless you needed to do some major surgery on yourself or an NPC (also I know you wouldn't really get withdrawal after one dose of heroin, but I'm guessing that, in game, it wouldn't spawn enough for you to get a proper addiction going. On which note...)

While it'd be realistic, if it was implemented I don't think you should get "addicted" to drugs (beyond there being a short term negative effect once the positive effects have worn off, which can be temporarily mitigated or postponed by taking more of the drug in question. 

Anything that raises a pegi rating needs to have a good reason for it, like its vital to gameplay or atmosphere. This probably won't be worth the pegi rating. Its not like violence is okay but mentioning drugs aren't. Its just that the game wouldn't be the same without violence and it could easily survive without drugs.

i would be ok just with the smoking animation, in the commonly suggested things topic i couldn't find this. but since alchool and cigarettes are drugs too, i would be ok with having my chracter drinking some whiskey, smoking a cigarette and then taking some ammo and facing death, i always face death after smoking once bitten, so having a proper drinking and smoking animation would be awesome

Drugs can combat depression (after all who have depression when this seeing flying ponies gold) but cause dependence with damages to health

In short: Players would not use because it would only worsen the game situation which makes adding the useless game

something like this should never be implemented in the game imo

If you truly feel the need have something that could result in the game be restricted in some areas

or to a large group of people due to laws then it would be better for you to make a mod for yourself

just my opinion  :-|

Honestly, I like the concept of a drug fueled apocalypse, the Fallout games pull it off pretty well, albeit a bit cartoony. Adds to the dispair quite a bit.

As long as there's harsh, harsh side effects, I don't see anything wrong with survivors scavenging for ingredients to make meth to trade to junkies for food and guns. Nothing wrong from a thematic standpoint anyway.

Correct me if I'm wrong but... who gives a flying fuck about pegi ratings? There is like a million 10 year olds on GTA V Online.

Well I feel sad for those kids because their parents either do not care for their child or are simply so oblivious that they should not have children!

something like this should never be implemented in the game imo

If you truly feel the need have something that could result in the game be restricted in some areas

or to a large group of people due to laws then it would be better for you to make a mod for yourself

just my opinion  :-|

The gore and violence would already ban it in some areas, as well as its portrayal of whiskey reducing unhappiness (i think?? i just use anti depressants in game). The prescription meds def need expanding upon though. Beta blockers are light anxiety meds that affect blood pressure mainly used for mild to moderate stage fright or general anxiety. The only kind of anxiety med that would work like the beta blockers in game relaxing you in the face of death are benzodiazipines, which are addictive (like a large proportion of drugs) and also impair your functions.

I think the devs said no to this. Correct me if I'm wrong. Drug use would change the pegi rating

I think that's hilarious. Repeatedly stomping on a zombie's head till it explodes? No problem! You can smoke weed in the game? WON'T SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN?

I think of the children, i want to have them in the game and them begin an big annoyance, also zombie children.

As for the drugs, the devs said no, also you would need balance for it.

I think the devs said no to this. Correct me if I'm wrong. Drug use would change the pegi rating

I think that's hilarious. Repeatedly stomping on a zombie's head till it explodes? No problem! You can smoke weed in the game? WON'T SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN?

I think of the children, i want to have them in the game and them begin an big annoyance, also zombie children.

Yeah but adding in proper anxiety meds doesn't seem like too much . Beta blockers only work for mild anxiety and concentrations in blood reach maximum in an hour or two. If you saw a group of zeds and popped 50-100 mg of a beta blocker it wouldn't do jack

Yeah but adding in proper anxiety meds doesn't seem like too much . Beta blockers only work for mild anxiety and concentrations in blood reach maximum in an hour or two. If you saw a group of zeds and popped 50-100 mg of a beta blocker it wouldn't do jack

*groans*

I like the idea but i dont see how it would be balanced.

Side effects tolerance and overdose. Even with benzodiapines it'd need to be implemented

Well i see it being useless because there are other remedies and for the fact that you cant really find these commonly the only benefit is that they can be grown.

the point of this is that most common drugs are medical stuff, that's why even the medical stuff is called drugs.
that would be something to expand the first aid skill, since you can use certain substances to fight certain conditions. for example cocaine could make someone move a broken (and splinted) limb at -let's say- 80% of its normal speed, at the cost of a way longer healing time. cannabis right now is (sigh) useless on the gameplay side: stress, boredom and being unhappy can't harm you in any way, while the hinger and thisrt you get for consuming it are real. i think they should be implemented gradually, cannabis could be great once negative moods will affect gameplay, also it's perishable, so you can farm it. eroine could help fight the pain moodle for long at the cost of coordination and perception, while used two or three times in a row will get you a day or half of disease.
i'd also love for some drugs to be useful only for the doctor or nurse class, due to requiring past studies before playing with molecules and effects

TL;DR medical use is good and welcome to me, drugs are in fact medicines that people abuse.
BUT i want my smoking animation ;_; the last cigarette before death, you can't say no to a man's last wish (or woman, no sexism)

I like the idea but i dont see how it would be balanced.

Side effects tolerance and overdose. Even with benzodiapines it'd need to be implemented

Well i see it being useless because there are other remedies and for the fact that you cant really find these commonly the only benefit is that they can be grown.
The only benefit is that what can be grown? I'm pretty sure every benzodiapine is synthetic. And xanax and klonopin aren't exactly prescribed like candy, but they definitely still are prescribed at a fair clip

The devs have said before they'd like to include drugs (I remember lemmy talking about a heroin addict survivor). I think they have an interesting element to add - short term benefits vs long term costs. Think adding addiction would be great. Psychotropic meds also have similar issues, particulary hypnotics (i.e. sleeping pills) and benzodiazapines. IRL they have very small prescibing times due to these issues. Even using benzos PRN can lead to coping atrophy without physical dependence.