Generators and electricity

HerrKazuya

I tried out a few things with generators in the latest IWBUMS branch. I'm not sure, if some things I tried out are not working, because they are intentionally designed this way or if I found a bug.

I started a new game in Westpoint with electricity shut down immediately. I set up my base at the thunder gas station. I hauled a generator from one of the nearby garages as well as some gasoline back to the gas station. I placed the generator next to one of the gas pumps, connected it and filled in some gas. When I turn the generator on, I can not use the gas pump to refill my now empty gas canister. Is this intentional?

Another thing I noticed is the behavior of the lightswitches. With the generator running, I entered the gas station, which was still dark inside and right clicked the light switch. I got the option to switch the lights off, which I did. Nothing happened. I right clicked again and this time I got the option to turn the lights on and the room got illuminated. With the lights still on, I went back outside and turned the generator off. The lights inside went out with the generator. Then I turned the generator back on, but the lights inside were still dark. I had to go back inside and switch the lights off and on to work again.

With this behavior in mind, I'm wondering if refridgerators work properly, when run by generators. So far I hadn't found the time to check whether food spoils as quickly in normal containers as in refridgerators that are powered by generators. Has anybody any experience with this yet?

Refrigerators are a yes.

Also, reported it as a bug about the gas pumps, but according to RJ its intentional, which is a shame. Most people won't be bothering trying to fill gas cans before the power goes out if their trying to build a base somewhere, and while it accomplishes making the player rush to the gas station early game (which many wouldn't bother with), it kinda discourages a player from looting a gas station as a late game goal (not to mention how dangerous it would be trying to carry a generator into potentially zombie infested territory).

Gas stations probably need to be handled differently in multiplayer as well, since most servers would probably already have the power off.

Refrigerators are a yes.

Also, reported it as a bug about the gas pumps, but according to RJ its intentional, which is a shame. Most people won't be bothering trying to fill gas cans before the power goes out if their trying to build a base somewhere, and while it accomplishes making the player rush to the gas station early game (which many wouldn't bother with), it kinda discourages a player from looting a gas station as a late game goal (not to mention how dangerous it would be trying to carry a generator into potentially zombie infested territory).

Gas stations probably need to be handled differently in multiplayer as well, since most servers would probably already have the power off.

I found plenty of Gas cans with lucky and survival loot settings for other and weapons. 3 filled and five empty.

Every full can is loading 40% of the full capacity of a generator. A generator will use about 25% gas in a day and 12% durability. Start in multiplayer and make a community of 6 houses habitated by players: one will have the generator on 24/7 (for the fridge) and the others should need it during night. You can't even last two days with those cans you have. Generators will be completely cutted off of multiplayer imo, and most of the times also from single player. i can't understand why it's intentional since it would be really hard to take gas from a pump using a generator, high risk of death and the oil isn't even infinite, it will end anyway (wich is good). I don't mean to be aggressive though, I'm just exposing my point, sorry if it sounds aggressive

Every full can is loading 40% of the full capacity of a generator. A generator will use about 25% gas in a day and 12% durability. Start in multiplayer and make a community of 6 houses habitated by players: one will have the generator on 24/7 (for the fridge) and the others should need it during night. You can't even last two days with those cans you have. Generators will be completely cutted off of multiplayer imo, and most of the times also from single player. i can't understand why it's intentional since it would be really hard to take gas from a pump using a generator, high risk of death and the oil isn't even infinite, it will end anyway (wich is good). I don't mean to be aggressive though, I'm just exposing my point, sorry if it sounds aggressive

Nah, your tone is actually just right for these forums. I hadn't realize how much gas the generators consumed, i've only used them for creating fire bombs as i utilize other ways of getting food late game rather than growing harvestables which would need to be refrigerated. 

Archived