Living in a land of rotten food: food preservation and refurbishing

drNovikov

Actually, there is no need for food to be rotten to catch botulism. Usually people catch it by eating some home-made preserved food which was made without necessary precautions.

From the holy grail of knowledge, Wikipedia: ". . . and fermented uncooked dishes." (Discuss - Discuss!).

My point wasn't necessarily just botulism alone -- it's that many bacteria and other infectious agents can be killed by cooking, but their by-products may not be. It's the same with blue mold on cheese -- it penetrates 2-3 inches into the cheese itself, so just cutting off the visible mold isn't effective.

So, trimmin' the green part off of meat and hopin' the rest is fine is pushin' it a bit.

Ok, you guys are gonna hate me, but now soup are perishable.

Mwahahah.

I cannot consider this a good decision, because there is no other way to preserve food in the game. I can't use salt to preserve vegetables, I cannot make jerky, I cannot use sugar to preserve fruits and berries, I cannot fish... Farming is buggy, and zombie spawning bugs make farming even more difficult.

I hope it is still possible to edit items.txt and make soup non-perishable again.

Modding is always an option, but I'm sure they have plans to give us ways to make our food last longer.  I'd like to see additions that let us preserve food at higher cooking skills.  Turning fruit/berries into jam would be one good example.

I don't think it should be too easy to convert food into a non-perishable state.  You'd need a high cooking skill, for example, and a decent amount of ingredients (cooking pot, lots of sugar, fruit, cans/jars, fire, etc.).  That way we can't just convert 100% of our crops into preserves and end up with several years' worth of jam. :P

Having a system like this would be nice because it would make a failed harvest a lot less catastrophic than if all our food went bad and we starved to death waiting for our crops to grow.  A bit of preserved food combined with extra looting and the prepared survivor would be able to make it through.

• 2 months later...

Dito! First things i do is collecting soup ingredients (http://www.pzwiki.net/wiki/Soup_Ingredients) and a mass of cooking pots before all the delicious stuff begin to rot away. After this i start a big cooking session and have a lot additional non-rotting food (+25 Tasty soups).

I think this should be fixed because it's totally unbalanced like all the other non-rotting foods which normally should start rotting after a week or more.

I mean check out this list and use your brain and tell me that all these foods are "Non-Perishalbe".

http://www.pzwiki.net/wiki/Category:Non-Perishable_Food

Okie, let me share some fact about preserved food...

Chinese traditional cured/preserved vege can last for around 100 years, and amount some part of China a newly wed wife will bring some handmade preserved vegetable with her to her new family, and those vege will be opened and used to cook up a feast when she reach 80 years old. and a type of commen preserved meat called "臘肉" can last up to 2-3 years by simply keep at a dry and cool place.

Go back a few hundred years and American settlers usually had a "stew" pot going over the fire at any given time.  You just kept adding water and scraps to the pot.  The pot might get cleaned once a month!  The constant simmer killed any bacteria and kept the ingredients up to temp so they did not rot away.  They just broke down into a meat/veggie grewl.  You slopped it over bread (the original grinder) or into a bowl.

Something like this could be done in the game IF the devs would allow for a swing arm:

fire-pit-cooking.jpg

What do we need to create one of these beauties?

1. Fire pit = 2 bags of concrete + 2 buckets of water + trowl.  The character digs a trench around the pit, lines it with concrete and then adds water.  You now have a concrete "ring" to keep the fire from growing legs and burning down the place.

2.  Swing Arm = stop sign or street signs (x3) + barbed wire + crowbar.  This would give you the "tee-pee" around which you pot would suspend, tied at the top with the crowbar acting as your hook.

The Fire Pit + Swing Arm would become an "oven" in essence, just one we need to feed with a fire starter + combustables.

Lets take this one step further, outdoor bread/pizza oven:

primavera_240.jpg

1.  Ingredients to make 2 crates + 2 bags of concrete mix + 2 buckets of water + trowl + 4 sign posts.  This becomes the oven base, with the steel posts added for additional stability.

2.  4 bags of concrete mix + 4 buckets of water - oven proper

Now the player has an outdoor oven, you just need to fuel it with a combustables.