Living in a land of rotten food: food preservation and refurbishing

drNovikov

Hi, guys.

I've found a way to survive in a land of rotten food. Even if refrigerators don't work anymore or your crops were left unattended for too long, you are not completely screwed! Of course, this needs some additional tests.

1. Making your own tinned soup Smallpotofsoup.png

You can preserve food by cooking pots of soup! Put all the ingredients, even rotten, into a cooking pot filled with water, then cook it. Temperature will sterilize it's contents. According to game files, pots of soup don't have a "DaysTotallyRotten" parameter. If I am right, that means you can cook and make your own tinned soup! Collect cooking pots!

But beware! As soon as you open it and make 4 bowls of soup (adds a bonus to it's nutritional value and allows to eat 4 smaller portions instead of a whole pot), it will become susceptible to rotting again. Bowls of soup have a "DaysTotallyRotten" parameter.

Hint: if your chicken, salmon of steak became burnt, don't eat it and don't throw it away! You can use it as a soup ingredient. Just cut the bad pieces out and leave some good meat =) Adding more ingredients (meat, peas, butter, flour, sugar, eggs) increase nutritional value even more!

Smallpot.pngWater_drop.png + Chicken_Overdone.pngBroccoli.pngSmallpotofsoup.png (salvation!)

Farmers! Grow broccoli and carrot! Each can decrease hunger by 15 points, but if you combine them, make a pot of simple soup, cook it and pour into bowls, each bowl can decrease hunger by 45 points, providing additional bonus against boredom and unhappiness. If you make 4 bowls, each bowl will make you 14 points less hungry. Also, you can cook this soup in a campfire, increasing it's value even more. Growing your own cookable crops provides great sustainability!

Smallpot.png + Water_drop.png + Broccoli.png + Carrot.pngSmallpotofsoup.png (non-perishable)

Smallpotofsoup.png + 4x Soup_bowl.png = 4x Full_Soup_bowl.png (more yummy, but perishable)

Very soon I will make an little mod allowing to use potatoes and tomatoes in a soup as a third ingredient, so survivors will have a reason to grow more crops and be able to make better soups.

2. Refurbishing other food Watermelon_Slice.png

So you've got a watermelon, but it's rotten? Don't eat the rotten parts! It still got some fresh parts inside! Smash it or slice it, and you will get some fresh watermelon slices (I prefer slices) or chunks. They, in turn, will rot after some time, but right after slicing it's still edible.

I still have to double-check this, but it seems like rotten chicken, salmon and steak can be cooked. Temperature seems to kill bacteria =)

3. Bugs Dead_rat_rotten.png

While making tinned soup and cutting the fresh pieces of food is legit, there are other ways to get some fresh food from garbage.

A cheese sandwich (not grilled) does not have a "DaysTotallyRotten" parameter. I believe (haven't checked yet) it is possible to craft a fresh cheese sandwich from rotten cheese and rotten bread.

Dito! First things i do is collecting soup ingredients (http://www.pzwiki.net/wiki/Soup_Ingredients) and a mass of cooking pots before all the delicious stuff begin to rot away. After this i start a big cooking session and have a lot additional non-rotting food (+25 Tasty soups).

I think this should be fixed because it's totally unbalanced like all the other non-rotting foods which normally should start rotting after a week or more.

I mean check out this list and use your brain and tell me that all these foods are "Non-Perishalbe".

http://www.pzwiki.net/wiki/Category:Non-Perishable_Food

I think this should be fixed because it's totally unbalanced like all the other non-rotting foods which normally should start rotting after a week or more.

Unbalanced? Why do you think so? Unbalanced compared to what?

Thermal sterilization and food preservation is a very natural thing to do in a survival situation. That's how our ancestors survived long winters in Russia.

Preserving food works in real life. You can sterilize mason jars ant put some salted cucumbers and tomatoes there, add boiled brine  -- they will be safe to eat and very tasty for months! Sauerkraut (made from cabbage) and salted lard can be stored for months. Some home-made preserved food can be stored for 1-2 years if done properly.

Canned foor can be stored for years. Same thing with sugar, chockolate, jam, flour, rice, dry noodles, dry bread and crisps, dried fruits and mushrooms, jerky, vegetable oils.

I don't think that food preservation is unbalanced.

Good stuff.   But who needs cooking when you have berries?

I found them only once. Also, in real life you would not be able to get enough calories from berries and mushrooms. People need a lot more carbohydrates and fats to provide enough energy (3000-3200 kcal per day for a hard working man, which is about 9 kg of typical forrest berries, and to gather all those berries you will have to have a lot of bountiful forest area and a lot of time and energy).

I don't like these fail-safe methods. You shouldn't cook rotten food over and over again.

No, it's not that. What they mean is that if you have rotten food, and you cook it, you assume the character cuts off the bad parts of the meat and eats the newly-cooked good parts. Of course, refurbished rotten food won't have as much of a nutritional kick as regular cooked food because of the fact that there's less meat and such.

I agree with no. 1, but 2 & 3 seem a little far fetched the food would still be riddled with bacteria and such :/ Anyway soup is already non-perishable

I do it all the time in real life. You cut away the straight up rotten parts, and cook the rest, which kills the bacteria.

Depending on the type of bacteria we're discussing, things like botulism are actually a risk due to their byproduct -- cooking it doesn't  help.

Maybe have another counter after initial rotting for more severe bacteria to form over time? Like, cutting the rotten bits off of a steak about 4 days after it goes bad wouldn't be a severe risk, but about a month is just plain deadly?

Ok, you guys are gonna hate me, but now soup are perishable.

Mwahahah.

Also, the rotten watermellon should give rotten slice too, since the last version... I may re-test it to be sure... :P

Same for toten/fresh stuff, if you cook them they'll stay not fresh/rotten (but cooked :D), need to think about this more, maybe the non-fresh meat will be "ok" if you cook it...

Ok, you guys are gonna hate me, but now soup are perishable.

Mwahahah.

Also, the rotten watermellon should give rotten slice too, since the last version... I may re-test it to be sure... :P

Same for toten/fresh stuff, if you cook them they'll stay not fresh/rotten (but cooked :D), need to think about this more, maybe the non-fresh meat will be "ok" if you cook it...

Will you implement veg storage and preservation(You can store vegetables for long periods of time given the correct storage conditions)?  If you can't preserve food via soups wont that make 99% of the perishable food redundant after the first week or two?  Even the farming stuff since it will go off before you can use most of it. 

Hey Robert. Steak can actually be prepared in such a way that it can be turned from rotten to fresh. You just gotta cut off all of the rotten "skin" that accumulates on the outermost layer of the beef. The inner layers of beef aren't exposed to the air, and as such remain safe to consume so long as all contaminated tissue is removed.

You just gotta be a really really REALLY skilled cook to do it. Maybe make it a high level cooking skill requirement? Give you the option to "Prepare Rotten Steak" that cuts off all of the bad stuff. Leaves you with less meat all around, but whats left should be relatively safe to eat.