RELEASED Build 32

EasyPickins

Respawns, generators, traps, and mp updates, that's awesome!

If generators make a lot of noise how far away can they power since it seems like it would be a bad idea to put them in a safe house if you can avoid it? I assume zombies don't attack the generator :ph34r:

Don't know if it's a build 32 thing or an existing 'feature' but I managed to get scratched and infected by zombies (a large group of them to be sure) standing 2 floors below me.  I was on an elevated wooden platform extended from an extension I built to my safehouse.  I was cheerfully taking potshots at the group below me with my shotgun, thinking that I was totally safe up here.

Except I wasn't.

Good thing I backed up, eh?   :)

As a first time poster (and who only discovered the game back in about March) just some random thoughts from me overall, if you'll indulge me - from playing predominantly build 31 and now 32

- Core of the game seems to be surviving the first 4-6 weeks - if you can do that and accumulate some basic survival and self-sustenance tools, the challenge does dissipate and it becomes 'farmville with the occasional zombie' (as I saw it so perfectly expressed earlier).   Now I like to build a world and survive more than I like to go down trying to defeat a horde of 1000 zombies, but even I got to the point where I was taking risks just to generate a thrill (if I throw myself off this roof will I make it to a splint and a place to sleep before I die?)  Try it - I highly recommend it.   Oh and a 5 day run to the mall - just to browse.

For that reason I feel like you need to add some random activity in the mid-game or late-game to shake up the status quo.  The new zombie respawn and migration mechanics will help but we need something equivalent to helicopters to make the zombies behave unpredictably and generally try and destroy your safehouse - put the struggle back into the survival once it gets too cosy

Failing that, some way to adjust the mechanics a bit mid-game to increase difficulty (maybe not decrease it though) - being a cautious sort I started in Sandbox with the settings towards the easy side, got through the first couple of weeks, got busy building my super-fort....and then nothing is happening, and there's no way to increase the danger and add the challenge back now that I'm fortified.  I survived (yes, on easier settings), got myself set up in a base and then wanted to see that tested but nada.  I didn't want to just start from scratch - I was attached to my base and didn't want to just scrap hours of gameplay hard work.

I know you can copy various map and character files into a new sandbox game with tougher settings as a workaround - which is what I did, see below - but there must be a more elegant solution of dealing with this?

- Keen to see some objects in the game that would add value without diminishing the challenge.  Umbrella - seriously - let's find ways to not have to get wet - equip secondary and increases your conspicuousness.  Some stuff is coming, like being able to move barbecues and move furniture around etc, which is cool.  And without wishing to be indelicate, where do you take a crap once the water goes off?  Portable heater - using the same fuel source as a barbecue - this also seems reasonable to help survive the winter cold snap.  Some areas a challenge has been put in - like being cold - where there's very limited capacity to solve that in-game.  If I'm in my own built shelter then I can't light a campfire, it torches the place, and I can only wear one sweater, so I'll just have to freeze or go outside, light a fire, get warm and get rained on.  Ugh.

Speaking of fire, it doesn't seem to destroy wooden walls properly - they're blackened and horrible but they're still there, unlike crates and shelves.    

Generally speaking the game allows you to defy physics with wood - long platforms floating high in the air, unsupported, etc.   My  base was 3 floors (ground, first, second), all wood.  Ground floor was enclosed, no door, no stairs, just there to support my real habitable areas on first and second floors, only accessible by sheet rope.

In the zombie horde attack on my base that I created by copying my map and character file into a new sandbox game with much harder settings (I wanted to see what would happen with the zombies set to insane, 50% daily respawn, and firing my rifle - answer - about 2,000 zombies descended and stayed far too long like unwelcome houseguests) they wiped through the wooden outer walls and destroyed the ground floor entirely - my base continued to float in mid-air.  Slightly problematic.  Also, I was based at 'Isolated House' - the Muldraugh one with a wooden high fence surrounding all it with just small gap - zombies ripped through my wooden wall that plugged that gap, but the existing in-game high fence didn't go down even with hundreds of them banging their empty heads against it.   If I'd known that earlier I'd have not built a second perimeter fence and just focused on blocking up that gap with multiple defences!

I've been playing a lot by my standards over the past couple of months - as a game it's really gripped me.  Thanks for the good work, and I can't wait to see what comes next.

I died again (and again, and again, and then some more XD) but one my latest life I've observed some very interesting behavior: all the stores in downtown West Point were missing their doors and windows, like a massive horde had walked right trough it :D It's no doubt a result of the new migration mechanics, and it looks awesome.

On another life played today, I had 2 safehouses setup on the outskirts of town in "quiet" places. I got chased out of one when zombies gathered at my barricades overnight and gave me a nice wakeup call. So I ran to my other shelter, a well barricaded house on the opposite side of town near the river (you all know the one, close to parking lot and picnic area by the river with a big shed). When I got there, all my nice barricades had been torn out :o No zombies in sight. so I reoccupied the place no problem, but I had to sleep in the next house over until I can get new doors o.O (I never did get new doors, eaten while looking for an axe :/ ) In 32.3 I lived in that same house for 3 months without ever having any visitors.

These situations are proof enough for me that the new zombie wandering works well. Safehouses don't stay safe for very long, and if you abandon a shelter you can expect to find some zombies have renovated it when you get back. I however wouldn't mind if they wandered a bit less, as sneaking about has become significantly more difficult with all those wandering zombies. Maybe have em pack tighter or something? I guess my issue is that a horde of 20 for example moves in a long stream of zombies, occupying a lot of space. By contrast, in 32.3 one would break away from the pack and call all the others to it, resulting in a tightly packed "ball" of zombies following that one "leading" zed.

Died some more, looks to me the issue with those zombie streams are a direct result of me trying to clear an area. After a bit of time they start streaming in to replace local losses and then group up again. Barricading a building is more like "I'd like to to sleep here without getting eaten for a night or 2" and less "I'd like to live here and start a little farm in the corner" now. It will certainly be an incentive to go live deep in the woods!

I like it, but it might frustrate some people. Maybe a sandbox option to make player built walls indestructible? Or maybe just have concrete walls that do that (I'm assuming those will be in someday since I keep finding concrete powder bags)? Some option or other to build a more permanent shelter.

Hello. First of all - excuse me about my english. So. Build 32.4 look fantastic! But i think that is something wrong with sandbox. I trying to play with minimum zombies, but in first 15 minutes i killed more than 100 Z only around 4 houses! Ok. I beat them and began create my safe house - but horde came up so unexpectedly that i have no chance to survive! I reed some where that a choppers and plains bewaring about hordes - but nope, no any sound and Zed`s just crash my bones. New game and ... where is any axe? I look at dozen boxes in warehouses and storage facilities - 10 generators and no axes and no ropes =(( I will try to survive once more time. And i don`t understand about movement structures - how to do this?

-snip- New game and ... where is any axe? I look at dozen boxes in warehouses and storage facilities - 10 generators and no axes and no ropes =(( I will try to survive once more time. And i don`t understand about movement structures - how to do this?

With axes it's just bad luck. Best place to look for them are indeed warehouses and crates within them.

There in no option to move furniture just yet but it's coming up soon™.

With axes it's just bad luck. Best place to look for them are indeed warehouses and crates within them.

Hm. It may be bad luck once, but in three games i found one(!!!) axe. Ok - i don`t look in Lumber Mill, but in City warehouses only - i must be a bad lucky man ever! ;)

Hm. It may be bad luck once, but in three games i found one(!!!) axe. Ok - i don`t look in Lumber Mill, but in City warehouses only - i must be a bad lucky man ever! ;)

I don't know if that's on purpose or it's just my own luck, but I usually find axes in warehouse crates that are unreachable :P I now make my first tool priority a sledgehammer, and then go axe hunting.

I don't know if that's on purpose or it's just my own luck, but I usually find axes in warehouse crates that are unreachable :P I now make my first tool priority a sledgehammer, and then go axe hunting.

In 31 build, sledgehammer and axe always can be found in one warehouse, sometimes separately, but often one axe i can find always - in 32 build, axe is problem. May be it a new feature?

Well, a Stone Axe can actually be crafted quite easily so the rarity of proper Axes might be intentional.

Edit: Might as well throw in some Build 32.4 feedback. Here it is: Waking up and going outside to see a horde casually passing through the neighborhood is fking awesome. This is officially my favorite update. Great job guys.

In 31 build, sledgehammer and axe always can be found in one warehouse, sometimes separately, but often one axe i can find always - in 32 build, axe is problem. May be it a new feature?

I have the opposite problem: always find axs, can never find a sledge.

I found both axe and sledge. Twice. In the first warehouse of mc coy, without destroying any crates on 32.4.

Seems like you had bad luck. :-/

Edit: i've got a title. Yay!

Owww. Why you no like imperfectshun? I can has only two legs and a trunk and be nice, too. D: *Phweeeeeeeet*

Build 32.5 released (mostly to fix Medical Check in multiplayer).

• Fixed trailing commas in "You survived for" text after death.
  • Fixed exception making a PeanutButter sandwich.
  • Remove zombies from the building a player spawns in when reusing an existing world.
  • Fixed virtual zombies following sounds at different day-length sandbox settings. (Issue #001767)
  • Fixed spawning zombies in underpopulated cells adjacent to overpopulated cells when those overpopulated cells hadn't been loaded already.  This could lead to too many zombies spawning.
  • Fixed "Medical Check" and "Wake Other" exceptions. (Issue #001773)
  • Fixed Sunstar Motel window sprite with glass removed. (Issue #001737)
  • Don't display "Open Window" command for perma-locked windows. (Issue #001757)
  • Display the number of files remaining (500, 400, 300, etc) during server softreset.
  • Fixed new zombie-redistribution code possibly moving zombies at z > 0.
  • Fixed fake-dead zombies being moved around by sounds and redistribution code.
  • Fixed controller bug in character-creation screen.

Eh, this had some jumpscare potential. Seeing a random dead corpse, walking to it to loot and having it be one of the accursed ankle biters.

Unless it's a different kind of fake dead zombies we're talking about :S

Eh, this had some jumpscare potential. Seeing a random dead corpse, walking to it to loot and having it be one of the accursed ankle biters.

I think they're saying that there's still fake dead zombies, but they were moving around due to the meta game sounds so they weren't faking being dead very well.

I agree, like jump scares like that. Hopefully it isn't what got fixed :mad:

Awesome bug crushing, though. Knockin' them out! :D

Yeah, if they're moving and crawling around, you'll know they ain't dead.  It would be cool to occasionally see random corpses that try to bite you when you get close though!

I just assumed they "move" virtually, not in the rendered area, meaning no animation needs to play, meaning you could basically find random dead corpses somewhere during your travels that got moved from an area you previously had a party in and didn't completely burn to the ground just to be sure nothing will get back up.