RELEASED Build 32

EasyPickins

With the new zombie count i have had to turn to other means to kill zombies other then melee or guns. For the 1st time i have started to use fire traps. It works but i have 1 issue with burning zombies.

Why dose it take 5 in game hours for a zombie to die? If they are indeed a flaming ball that have flesh and cloth falling off them to start fires or are burning so hot that it starts fires. I would have to wager that at most 30 mins of in game time would pass before the brain would boil eyes pop, eardrums rupture, and the nose fall off. If they survived they would be a smoldering shell of a zombie unable to detect anything.

With the new zombie count i have had to turn to other means to kill zombies other then melee or guns. For the 1st time i have started to use fire traps. It works but i have 1 issue with burning zombies.

Why dose it take 5 in game hours for a zombie to die? If they are indeed a flaming ball that have flesh and cloth falling off them to start fires or are burning so hot that it starts fires. I would have to wager that at most 30 mins of in game time would pass before the brain would boil eyes pop, eardrums rupture, and the nose fall off. If they survived they would be a smoldering shell of a zombie unable to detect anything.

Yea, as of current if you try to use fire to kill a mob you're going to burn down the town. 

But... it's not that out of the question. A single molotov isn't going to destroy a whole horde of 50+ zeds. Think about it for a second, where the bottle goes there is going to be a major epicenter of zeds who are fully engulfed in flames, these zombies are going to die pretty fast. But the other zombies who are outside of the epicenter are going to get splash damage and some fire on them, but nothing to the degree of the center of the moli. 

So those zombies will have some fire on them, maybe on their chest, arm and legs, but their bodies won't be engufled in flames and they can easily survive if their head isn't burning. 

So while it takes too long for the epicenter zombies to die, realistically those outside of the main splash zone are going to either take longer to die, or survive out right with burning/burnt flesh. 

On a side note, zombie spawns and population are obviously on the insane high end. I had a chopper event hit on day 3 with normal zombie settings and had a 400+ horde just pop up, so some tweeking is in order for the early game. 

I'm absolutely terrified with the new build.  I think that was the point of the update, so congrats!  Nothing causes me to need a change of underwear faster than quietly reading a farming book when suddenly a horde of zombies 100+ in number are seen through my kitchen window.  "Where the F did they come from?  I cleared this block!  EEEEEEEOH,SH....."   Playing in sandbox with normal zombies, I had to abandon my normal MO of turning Cortman medical into my own private safehouse (which included the house to the north also, since I liked having the grill available).  I had about a dozen or so wall sections up before it was overrun (TWICE) by the wandering horde.  Both times they were dispatched with the Molotov-and-run-and-then-wait technique, only losing one house to the south.  By wandering horde #3, I've decided to move to the already walled house to the north-east of Muldraugh, hopefully getting the log sections up before I'm attacked again.  One thing I've noticed, which is being addressed, is that once you're on the move out of a particular area, the zombie count is practically zero as most of them are clustered elsewhere.  Off topic slightly, I'm REALLY looking forward to cars/bicycles in the future, moving a base is not easy by yourself.

Really like build 32.3 so far, especially the challenge.   Survival in 32 i not too hard.  I find it easy to moderately challenging (of course I'm one of the member who was asking to be able to save and continue a really CD DA back in 31 to play it has an alternative to a really more challenging survival mode).

I'm over 2 months in 32.3 and have a very solid base established.  I will post in a week to let you know how long I will survive (it will all depend on winter).

I love Opening Hours.  I managed to make it out of the mall (my initial plan to escape didn't work out but then I found another one as I was struggling to survive which was awesome).   Anyway now out of the mall and those homing in zombies are quite a challenge.   Is there a way to use setting to recreate similar zombie behavior in sandbox?

Anyway I really like it so far.

My goal is 1 year+ in survival and 1 month+ in Opening Hours.   If both of those are way above your intent of duration of survival, I can describe to you how I did it (and re-do it with a video - should really have been recording the Opening Hour one)...

Anyway, having a blast.   Keep up the good work and definitely not too hard in my book

Umm problem with Opening Hours.  Game reset at 08:40 when you re-load with the note that the doors are about to open (I was in the middle of the night when I save).   I know the players are not suppose to survive but anyway that can be tweak in case we do manage to get out (like I did)...   

It's similar to any house you are in catching fire in a Really CD DA.

Anyway hope you modify it so that we can continue playing it.  I really like the zombie behavior and would like to see how long I can survive without the time always resetting...

Umm problem with Opening Hours.  Game reset at 08:40 when you re-load with the note that the doors are about to open (I was in the middle of the night when I save).   I know the players are not suppose to survive but anyway that can be tweak in case we do manage to get out (like I did)...   

It's similar to any house you are in catching fire in a Really CD DA.

Anyway hope you modify it so that we can continue playing it.  I really like the zombie behavior and would like to see how long I can survive without the time always resetting...

I love this challenge, and I keep playing it. 

I would love to see some sandbox options for challenges, that can be set, such as time before opening, or other fun things for other challenges.

I also experienced some world-haulting (freezing) updates, coming from something world-mechanically-related. I must assume this has to deal with the amount of zombies in certain cells. Something relative to the time it takes to load cells that are unloaded in the mall and reloaded with a ton of live objects. This is probably a hotspot, and Im sure you are well aware of it by now Easy.

Thanks for the update. I look forward to future fixes.  

Honestly the only problem I have with this build (besides some bugs) with the hordes is that they're so close together in a circle it looks really messy and unpretty, especially when you see them jumping over fences it seems like they're in a glitch of falling through an infinite portal loop like in Portal. :P I'd love if this could be sorted out so the zeds looked more appealing when they're idle in hordes. Anyway possible if you understand what I mean?

About 500 of them just blew my walls in the Motel to pieces! It was awesome, Motel - 1 Months, 8 days. The fact I've lost my supplies actually makes me happy because it's a true struggle for survival now.

Honestly the only problem I have with this build (besides some bugs) with the hordes is that they're so close together in a circle it looks really messy and unpretty, especially when you see them jumping over fences it seems like they're in a glitch of falling through an infinite portal loop like in Portal. :P I'd love if this could be sorted out so the zeds looked more appealing when they're idle in hordes. Anyway possible if you understand what I mean?

Yeah, they go completely apeshit when they are a part of big enough horde, the center of the horde is running in circles and it looks like a zombienado. To the point where I don't know whether I should run or laugh my ass off and then run.

Having them just stand still unless something happens would be so much better.

I think otherwise. They should wander and follow noises, as all the coolest styles of zombies do.

I mean when they are in a horde, not when there is just a few of them, have you seen how they behave when they are in a horde of 100+ zombies? They spin and walk in circles, it looks ridiculous.

I think otherwise. They should wander and follow noises, as all the coolest styles of zombies do.

I mean when they are in a horde, not when there is just a few of them, have you seen how they behave when they are in a horde of 100+ zombies? They spin and walk in circles, it looks ridiculous.

have to laugh when i see some of the zombies who just keep spinning around.

they remind me of the good ol' Charlie Brown dance scenes

*WARNING* wall of text coming!

I'd never played this game before IWBUMS build 32 came out, and I downloaded this branch pretty much on day one, so I have no frame of reference when comparing this build to others. I do however have some observations I think are worth noting. All my experience so far is in survival mode.

This game is brutal and unforgiving of mistakes, and I love it :D The early game tho appears to be where all the difficulty is at a the moment. I've finally managed to get a character to live past week 2. It's in fact been 3 months, and winter is just around the corner. In that time, i've never been bothered by zombies in my home. I have in fact not seen a zed in my neigborhood since week 2. They all congregate in massive hordes of hundreds and abandon the rest of town, which kinda cuts on the mid/late game challenge. I can walk up to 90% of houses in West Point without bumping into any dead ones.

I'd suggest a mechanic of some kind to allow for dispersal of massive hordes. Maybe NPCs (Meta or in game when NPCs return) could come by and split the hordes with the sweet smell of their brains, or maybe some zombies get designated as "loud" or something and become "pack leaders", ignoring fellow zombies but calling them to it so that smaller packs break away from the main horde.

I also noticed that creeping vegetation is growing VERY fast. I'd personally tone it down a bit, feels like come spring the whole city will be a jungle and line of sight will be severely reduced. That would certainy add to the challenge, but I feel the jungle state should take over a year to achieve.

Regarding the engineering mechanics, I feel some more in game instructions might be in order. Carpentry shows you what you need, I feel like bomb parts should be listed too, maybe in the skillbook's description or something. Someone else mentioned this too, but propane tank bombs would be very nice... I want my fort rigged to blow at a moment's notice! If the dead ones take over, I'm at least having one final barbecue > :D

I downloaded the IWBUMS because I heard there were generators, so I set out to get one and the manual, but ended up disappointed with the current uses for it. I'm guessing there's more to come, but at this time I feel it's mostly about getting the fridge to run so I can extend the life of all that cabbage my fields are churning out :/ I think some powered trap tiles might be fun, like a flamethrower rigged to a motion detector, powered by the geny, or maybe a rotary blade, things like that. Adding a freezer, or appliances that require constant power and have no substitute in skills/unpowered items, something to make the risk of having that noisy thing run in the backyard worth it. Hell, let me plug in 2 or 3 of those in series so I can restart the logging factory's saws or the lift in the auto-shops for them vehicules I heard mentioned around here :D

I've also found some skill progression curves to be unbalanced. Farming, for instance, levels up at an insane rate. My first 2 cabage patches got me to lvl 1 (with skill book read), and the rest of my garden (another 6 tiles of assorted goodies) got me to lvl 2 and a good ways along lvl 3 (without reading the intermediate book). By contrast, I've had a stick trap and a crate trap setup for weeks that I monitor a few times a day (when I'm not out scavenging that is) and they barely ever yield anything, meaning I'm still lvl 0 despite a lot more effort than my garden.

I thought food mechanics to be somewhat inadequate in certain situations: I can live on a handfull of berries for days as long as I eat whenever I get peckish. Same applies to violets. I have 150 weight units (whatever they are) of non-perishable accumulated from raiding houses and businesses in west point and I have never touched them. Most of my berries (and garden foods!) end up in my compost bin (That could be an interesting feature btw, compost bin that yields fertilizer) due to the insane amounts I pull from the wilderness while looking for chipped stones (never could find an axe :( )

Sorry for the lenghty text there, just my 2 cents. Devs, if you only look at one thing in my long rant, please let it be the bit about horde dispersal mechanics, it kinda kills my fun when all the zeds from any given cell gather in one tiny corner. I feel it's key to keeping the end game dangerous and bringing the occasional horde to your doorstep. Overall I gotta say this is great gaming as is, and knowing there's more to come makes me an extremely happy customer :D

*Edit* I finished reading all the other feedback on this build, seems something is already in the works to make sure giant hordes don't leave parts of town deserted. Lots of folks mentioned the gas stations being inoperable after the power goes out, something I hadn't noticed (got a nice stockpile of fuel and no real reason to use it :/ ), but I thought a hand pump might be more appropriate than a geny. Don't want that thing to explode on top of the pump's storage tank now do you? ;) Plus, assuming eventual vehicules, a hand pump would certainly come in handy to drain abandonned cars and such or even just for water.

@Bobchaos Nice suggestions, do you think of somethiing like this with the handpump, http://tinyurl.com/oylah9c ? If yes, I think it would be a nice addition also for farmlands and construction sites, but I think cars or vehicles are far away so let´s wait - first we can maybe pull around refidgerators and things like seen in the mondoid( but when I remember my last housemoving, we nearly killed us as we tried to pull such a thing upstairs...)

Build 32 WOW!!

Was really getting bored in previous renditions, do to Z's becoming a non factor.   Not so much now.  Start blazin now and they just keep coming and coming.  Like it much better, only shoot a gun now when i want to pied piper z's away from a loot spot or safe house.

The numbers are much better, dispersal is a little odd, doesn't look/feel right.  The random points are good, but the Z's all squish up like snakes fucking in water.  

Started new game, looted 12-15 garages.  I have about 15 hammers and 5 generators.  No screwdrivers or saws.  Tools dispersal is off.  Need more saws and screwdrivers, less hammers and generators.   

Love this build.  Thanks for all your hard work and the entertainment

Is there a good way to burn corpses that doesn't burn down the entire universe?  I used to be able to burn one at a time and when it DID get out of control, it usually didn't get far.  Now I light one corpse in the middle of a highway and within ten minutes all the buildings are burning down.

What can I do?

Because burning zombies was a completely broken way to kill infinite amounts of zombies before. Sometimes realism does have to take a hit for gameplay.

I agree for the most part. And really i should be placing this in the suggestion topics but a fix like the poster bellow me said could be put in.

Snip........

But... it's not that out of the question. A single molotov isn't going to destroy a whole horde of 50+ zeds. Think about it for a second, where the bottle goes there is going to be a major epicenter of zeds who are fully engulfed in flames, these zombies are going to die pretty fast. But the other zombies who are outside of the epicenter are going to get splash damage and some fire on them, but nothing to the degree of the center of the moli. 

So those zombies will have some fire on them, maybe on their chest, arm and legs, but their bodies won't be engufled in flames and they can easily survive if their head isn't burning. 

So while it takes too long for the epicenter zombies to die, realistically those outside of the main splash zone are going to either take longer to die, or survive out right with burning/burnt flesh. 

Something like this would be a lot better give zombies hit by fire a location where the fire started.

So say they walk over a camp fire the feet are on fire it has a 50/05 chance to kill or wound the zombie(make it a crawler). If it would kill the zombie it would take say 5 hours to burn to death. 

Then do a upper body hit where the zombie has 75% chance to die if the zombie lives it becomes blind deaf and unable to smell. If a death is rolled it would take 2 hours to kill.

Then a head hit would be a 100% kill. 30 min burn time for death.

Just use the code for hit detection in multiplayer?  Boom you have a better burning mechanic with the vast majority of zombies dieing from the fire but some that live. Also the smell of all that burnt meat :) would bring even more zombies to the buffet.

I have made mods but really i have zero idea on how hard this would be to put in the game. Just a idea.

Gave build 32.3 a go today. Unemployed, thick skin and light eater. All my tries were in Muldraugh. First try I started in a trailer park and as I never really discovered this area I got cornered outside a motel and had to jump the railing which resulted in an injury to my leg and as a result the zombies catched up and killed me. Second try started in the suburbs and I knew how to get from my favourite safe house from there. My start house had a baseball bat. There were quite a few zeds but no more than you would expect in such an area. To clean the area I created my own horde and made sure they lost me in a place far enough from my safe house. Meta events did the rest.

Cleared some houses which had about 1-3 zeds in each (again nothing more than you would expect in a normal house). After the 3rd night I woke up and the house was on fire, forgot to turn off the gas, but managed to escape with just a burn injury on my leg. Cleaned and bandaged (do you bandage burns in real life? Might be an idea to make graduations, like severe and minor burns). I'm about a week in now, made my safe house in a medical building (collin or something) and there's a small group of zombies (7-8) very close but they don't move. Streets are pretty much empty but that problem is known.

What I've seen at the beginning is that the numbers are good and manageable. Yes you need a bit of luck because so far I've just found two baseball bats (1 at the start house and 1 other in my safe house), which made it all a bit easier. You have to use your wits to clear an area. I'm quite sure my thick skin saved me 3-4 times but other than that I only died or almost died because of my own mistakes. Clearing a house is scary as it should be. Once the empty places get fixed it will be awesome. After I read all the replies in this thread I expected a nightmare but it wasn't that at all. I'm not an expert but I did have to adjust my play style. I usually ran but now I just run at the beginning to clear the area, after this I sneak 90% of the time. You don't get much done but you do survive.

You just have to do everything 1 step at a time. Ahhh place is crawling with zombies, don't panic and try to clear it. I went to bed at around 1:30 the first night. Took me one day to clear an area big enough around my safe house. Just killed 2 zombies in my safe house. Next day tried to clear the neighbourhood, took me half a day and then did a loot run. 3rd-6th day looted 1-2 houses a day. 7th day time to start collecting water containers. Once I've done that I'll go for the logging company to search for some better weapons and tools to start barricading and constructing stuff. I used to be able to do all these things in a few days, now it takes more time and you have to be careful all the time. Make sure once you go inside a house that you have a few escape routes if it turns out there are too many zeds and sneak.

Build 32.4 released

• Added some map zones for foraging etc.  Fixed overlapping zones.  (Issue #001632)
  • Fixed character-creation translations.
  • Fixed vertical size of the "play tutorial?" dialog in other languages.
  • Fixed Beginner water/electricity shutoff times.
  • Add some methods to EvolvedRecipe and ItemRecipe for mods.
  • Fixed throwing traps with the controller. (Issue #001722)
  • Fixed trap-sprite size getting messed up when throwing traps quickly.
  • Fixed exceptions throwing traps. (Issue #001720)
  • Fixed SafeHouse packets bouncing between client and server endlessly. (Issue #001675)
  • Fixed not being able to add a sheetrope where one was removed in multiplayer.
  • Fixed "play the tutorial?" dialog issues.  (Issue #001691, #001701)
  • Fixed Skills panel not blinking in tutorial with other languages.
  • Removed "Save builds:" label from character creation due to space constraints.
  • Fixed Tutorial button position after resizing the game window.
  • Fixed bombs bouncing off the air when throwing above ground level. (Issue #001728)
  • Fixed teleporting through walls when climbing over fences. (Issue #001746)

Two changes were made to the zombie population stuff.  The first change is that zombies will wander to empty areas of the cell they're in once an hour.  This has the effect of spreading zombies out throughout the cell they're in after they get grouped up by sounds.

The second change affects how zombies group together in loaded parts of the map. Now zombies prefer to stand around in groups of 20 or less, and don't get attracted to each other quite so often.  When a large group of zombies does form, it will tend to break up into smaller groups fairly quickly.  This was done to fix those giant buzzing swarms of zombies that wouldn't disperse.

Two changes were made to the zombie population stuff.  The first change is that zombies will wander to empty areas of the cell they're in once an hour.  This has the effect of spreading zombies out throughout the cell they're in after they get grouped up by sounds.

The second change affects how zombies group together in loaded parts of the map. Now zombies prefer to stand around in groups of 20 or less, and don't get attracted to each other quite so often.  When a large group of zombies does form, it will tend to break up into smaller groups fairly quickly.  This was done to fix those giant buzzing swarms of zombies that wouldn't disperse.

Awesome, great stuff Easy! Quick question - with an existing save, do we need to delete "zpop_*.bin" files to use the new settings?

Just tried this new build playing in downtown West Point (My other character got eaten by a horde while scavenging the post office backroom! :o ). It's week 3 and there's still small but sizable hordes scattered everywhere, seriously limiting my mobility. It's great stuff so far, curious to see what the more familiar suburbs look like with the new dispersion mechanics. I'll be heading that way tomorrow, looking forward to dodging hordes all the way back to my new base :D

Also, maybe I just lack imagination, but I have yet to find the recipe for any of the bombs :/ don't suppose anyone can point me to a list? Nothing on the wiki yet, and I'd really like to try them out.