RELEASED Build 32

EasyPickins

I fixed two things that caused zombie numbers to be too high in this build.  In Build 31, if a chunk was not allowed to spawn zombies (because it was in a building, or all water) those chunks would not contribute to the desired population at all.  But in Build 32 I was counting zombies for those chunks and spawning the zombies elsewhere.

In Build 31 there was a random 1/3 chance that a chunk would have no zombies at all.  I'd left that out in Build 32.

With these two changes the population numbers looks like this now in part of West Point.  Quite a bit lower but still zombies everywhere.  (In my previous screenshot for Build 32, the numbers clockwise were 635, 946, 675, 746).

FixedZombieCount.png

So are we on 32.3 now? I don't think my IWBUMS has updated (not that I necessarily want fewer Zs right now, I'm enjoying the challenge, but I can always crank them up in sandbox :) )

hello there, i'm loving the new zombies :D they chase you better, and i love the fact that pushback isn't always a thing, i'd nerf it a lil bit more (i really feel like i'm avoiding death by hiding right now, and it's priceless, i want to be sure that i can't kill a group of 6+ zombie without a risk).

that said, i have a small complaint and a question about fuel pumps:

it is realist for pumps to stop workng when the power goes off, but that's the time when fuel is really needed, i did some (pathetic) math, and i think that a generator uses 25% of fuel in a whole day of work (constant working is necessary for the fridge, and 12 hours would me likely in multiplayer, due to not being able to sleep), a gas can fuels 40% of the generator's capacity.

so i thought that i could bring the generator to the fuel station, allowing the pump to work and having as a side effect the fact that bringing the generator on both trips takes a lot of inventory space, don't allow me to have a weapon equipped and lets me take way less full gas cans. that would help a lot in multiplayer, in a server with a small community this would be surely needed, due to many generators active 12/7 and one 24/7. the question is: is the amount of fuel inside a pump finite or infinite? personally i'd prefer the first one, since there is more than a fuel station, but surely a huge amount of gas.

Currently, pumps not working with generators is intended according to RJ. I would like to hopefully see it reconsidered, as it removes a late game looting target, and its already dangerous enough having to carry a generator to the intended target gas station (as well as the many empty cans).

Pumps are also finite in how much gas they each have as well (which really confuses me as to why using a generator to power them back on is a problem).

hello there, i'm loving the new zombies :D they chase you better, and i love the fact that pushback isn't always a thing, i'd nerf it a lil bit more (i really feel like i'm avoiding death by hiding right now, and it's priceless, i want to be sure that i can't kill a group of 6+ zombie without a risk).

that said, i have a small complaint and a question about fuel pumps:

it is realist for pumps to stop workng when the power goes off, but that's the time when fuel is really needed, i did some (pathetic) math, and i think that a generator uses 25% of fuel in a whole day of work (constant working is necessary for the fridge, and 12 hours would me likely in multiplayer, due to not being able to sleep), a gas can fuels 40% of the generator's capacity.

so i thought that i could bring the generator to the fuel station, allowing the pump to work and having as a side effect the fact that bringing the generator on both trips takes a lot of inventory space, don't allow me to have a weapon equipped and lets me take way less full gas cans. that would help a lot in multiplayer, in a server with a small community this would be surely needed, due to many generators active 12/7 and one 24/7. the question is: is the amount of fuel inside a pump finite or infinite? personally i'd prefer the first one, since there is more than a fuel station, but surely a huge amount of gas.

Currently, pumps not working with generators is intended according to RJ. I would like to hopefully see it reconsidered, as it removes a late game looting target, and its already dangerous enough having to carry a generator to the intended target gas station (as well as the many empty cans).

Pumps are also finite in how much gas they each have as well (which really confuses me as to why using a generator to power them back on is a problem).

alot of places force gas stations to have pumps that can work off of generators.

Devs, please add it in. It makes it seem like you are trying to make things harder than they would be in real life.

It makes all the work you did with generators suddenly useless after a while, because all it does is delay the electricity runout in the houses you have generators. 

indeed, it's hard as hell to do this well: no weapons equipped, slowed down by the weight, you can take half the gas you'd take without the generator in the inventory, the generator's noises will surely drag zombies that you'll have to lure away and on the way back you'll have to sneak like never before. that looks like a great adventure to me, and adds purposes to having generators in multiplayers (i suggest this again since now i know pumps aren't infinite, wich is great)

I fixed two things that caused zombie numbers to be too high in this build.  In Build 31, if a chunk was not allowed to spawn zombies (because it was in a building, or all water) those chunks would not contribute to the desired population at all.  But in Build 32 I was counting zombies for those chunks and spawning the zombies elsewhere.

In Build 31 there was a random 1/3 chance that a chunk would have no zombies at all.  I'd left that out in Build 32.

With these two changes the population numbers looks like this now in part of West Point.  Quite a bit lower but still zombies everywhere.  (In my previous screenshot for Build 32, the numbers clockwise were 635, 946, 675, 746).

FixedZombieCount.png

I will try it out tomorrow, seems like a bit more of black areas in the map, hope this doesn't mean the end of the hordes in the game.

Build 32.3 released:

• Force the player to walk to a gas pump before taking fuel. (Issue #001694).
  • Added translations for some things.
  • Moved the "Random" button in the first character-creation screen down beside the "Play" button (same as it is on the profession screen).
  • Fixed window sprites not changing after removing broken glass.  (Issues #001690, #001698)
  • Fixed zombies spawning in water and other weird places due to the chunkdata_X_Y.bin files needing to be reexported with a fixed WorldEd. (Issue #001692)
  • Expose Vector2 and Vector3 Java classes for Lua modders.
  • Fixed two bugs with desired zombie population calculation.
  • Fixed exception with null ItemContainer in IsoDeadBody.reanimate(). (Issue #001675)

RJ and I were talking about ramping up the zombie population over the first several days.  I'm also going to experiment with migrating zombies from overpopulated cells to underpopulated cells.

EDIT: If you have an existing savegame and want to reset all the zombies to the new levels, delete the zpop_*.bin files in the save directory.

Build 32.3 released:

RJ and I were talking about ramping up the zombie population over the first several days.  I'm also going to experiment with migrating zombies from overpopulated cells to underpopulated cells.

EDIT: If you have an existing savegame and want to reset all the zombies to the new levels, delete the zpop_*.bin files in the save directory.

I would certainly be fine with that, It make sense, also. 

This is my simple logic..but what about "invisible" meta-game events close to the over-populated cells, to slowly move them out  to the more rural areas?    Or small meta-events, I don't know.  Ignore the rambling part, and take the useful pieces that remain of this paragraph, if any.

If I reset the count, because I'm curious, would they basically spawn like in the beginning of the game?  (I.E. in houses, my new base, behind me...)

And, if I just loaded it up without deleting it, would the zombie count rise to build 32.3 levels?  I'm saying would the respawn make it rise to regular levels?

Cool, will be interesting to see how your experimenting goes - I wonder if the zombie population needs to ramp up later in the game as well, say a few weeks in, to simulate food sources for the zombies being depleted and some zombies/hordes start migrating in search of food?

How about implementing sandbox options as to the limitations of generators.

Like How much gas they use daily, if you can plug one into a gas pump, ect. ???

sounds more like a mod work to me, they're already balanced enough with the pump working, let's wait for a dev answering to the plea :)

again, i can see a team working on this, with a guy operating the generator and another helping him fueling all the cans the have, and 3 or 4 companions luring and maybe killing the zombies that are attracted by the noise :) it sounds fun as hell to me

FixedZombieCount.png

I will try it out tomorrow, seems like a bit more of black areas in the map, hope this doesn't mean the end of the hordes in the game.

I tried it. It definitely doesn't. Alarms are still a huge deal and so is firing weapons. Plus plenty of "NOPE" style hordes lurking around as you traverse the map. 

FixedZombieCount.png

I tried it. It definitely doesn't. Alarms are still a huge deal and so is firing weapons. Plus plenty of "NOPE" style hordes lurking around as you traverse the map.

But is it less ridiculous than before?

FixedZombieCount.png

But is it less ridiculous than before?

A little less ridiculous, yes, but I had already built my strategy for dealing with the new Z numbers, and they are still high enough to totally own me if I don't stick to it - stay away from main streets, be extremely careful downtown, sneak and hide like crazy or you will die. 

My personal new strategy is to try and pick off the stragglers until the horde is gone/small enough to engage.  Takes a while, and after a certain number, there's no point in trying.

Are you using a character build that's good with weapons? I wouldn't try that shit with a goddamn fireaxe, getting in fights always seems to attract attention these days.

My personal new strategy is to try and pick off the stragglers until the horde is gone/small enough to engage.  Takes a while, and after a certain number, there's no point in trying.

Are you using a character build that's good with weapons? I wouldn't try that shit with a goddamn fireaxe, getting in fights always seems to attract attention these days.

And really, why bother engage at all?  They are just going to re-spawn anyways, so unless you need to make a *very* temporary path through them just bypass them all.

And really, why bother engage at all?  They are just going to re-spawn anyways, so unless you need to make a *very* temporary path through them just bypass them all.

Yeah... with the current respawn rates there's little point in trying to "clear" an area. I'm not going to kill 100 zombies a day *and* get food, water, supplies and most importantly not bitten to fuck. I'd prefer to see respawn rates at something like 3% - so an area will repopulate itself gradually over a month. With avg 500 zombies in a cell you'd still need to kill 15 a day just to keep the numbers flat. 

Better yet: instead of respawning X % of the desired population, the game respawns X% of the *current* population (perhaps with a modifier if this number gets too low so the respawn rate never gets too manageable). That would A.) make there be a point to culling zombie numbers and B.) have an element of realism - zombies tend to be attracted by other zombies what with the moaning and all, so it would make sense that an area with very few zombies would grow more slowly than one that already has lots. 

Then again, the way I play I kill < 10 zombies a day, even on a pretty busy day, and I could see the above being overpowered if it allowed people to just roll into downtown, throw a few well placed molotovs and have the area loot-safe for the next month. 

Maybe the system could do X% of current population, unless current population is less than X% of desired population?

For example, a specific cell's desired population could be 500 zombies.  If the population is 100 or above, it spawns 20% of the current population of the set intervals (rounded up for decimals).  If it is less than 100, it spawns 25 zombies, period.  So, if they killed 100 zombies after spawn (so there is 400), the next day 80 zombies respawn.  If they killed 400, so 100 are left, 20 spawn.  But if they kill all 500 (in one day, is impressive,) it would spawn 25, and take 4 days to get to 100.  If they leave 99, the next day they will have 124.

It seems balanced to me, anyways.  Once horde migration is properly implemented, it would basically make the inner city areas "hives," spawning zombie hordes on a fairly regular basis.  It would also make it so that if you completely clear out an area, the zombie levels would be manageable, and not escalate so quickly if you didn't sweep for a few days.

Maybe the system could do X% of current population, unless current population is less than X% of desired population?

For example, a specific cell's desired population could be 500 zombies.  If the population is 100 or above, it spawns 20% of the current population of the set intervals (rounded up for decimals).  If it is less than 100, it spawns 25 zombies, period.  So, if they killed 100 zombies after spawn (so there is 400), the next day 80 zombies respawn.  If they killed 400, so 100 are left, 20 spawn.  But if they kill all 500 (in one day, is impressive,) it would spawn 25, and take 4 days to get to 100.  If they leave 99, the next day they will have 124.

It seems balanced to me, anyways.  Once horde migration is properly implemented, it would basically make the inner city areas "hives," spawning zombie hordes on a fairly regular basis.  It would also make it so that if you completely clear out an area, the zombie levels would be manageable, and not escalate so quickly if you didn't sweep for a few days.

Perhaps I'm a wuss but these numbers seem so high to me. You need to be killing 80-100 to start with even to make a tiny impact on the local population. 

BTW I liked this idea so much I made a thread for it over in suggestions (hope this is ok, mods, if not please let me know and I won't pull this punk shit again). 

I was honestly using the numbers as an example.  Not a set in stone kinda thing, just easy numbers to show how the math would work.

For those that love algebra, here you go! 

(x = desired population, y = current population, z = percentage set, a = zombie count cut off, B = Arbitrary number of zombies to spawn.)

If Y >/= X, spawn 0.

If Y < X, check if Y > A, (yes Y * Z + Y.) if Y < A, spawn B.

This is a random post of randomness, read at your own risk.

FixedZombieCount.png

Ah, thank you... I felt like I was a Zomboid Pro, then all the zombies came.... Haha, I felt like a beginner for a little bit.... Thanks bud! :D 

Is it just me, or if you go into sandbox and select the beginner preset, are the water and electricity shutoff left blank?

Not just you, replicated the issue as well:

6NDGzPI.png

Well spotted! Remember you can use the Bug Tracker to post about issues you discover etc

:)