RELEASED Build 32

EasyPickins

So, from my hour of playthrough in survival :

I think this is great, just from the storytelling aspect. I'm going to like reading all these survival stories, as they're far more epic with more zombies to contend with.

I haven't played the brand new update (it's downloading now.)  But I'm a relatively new player, maybe 30 hours.  But my main issue is...I can't fight 3 zombies with a baseball bat without dieing.  If one pulls the newly added ninja dodge move [/playful sarcasm], and grabs me, since I can't really push them, I'm dead. 

I'm not exaggerating either.  But I feel as though I cannot walk out of the house and face 1 zombie without dieing.  To me that just feels on a touch (shove) towards being unplayable.  I've read all 14 pages (so far) of this thread, and to me it seems that the devs are saying "if you can't handle survival, sandbox."  I don't want to play sandbox, honestly.  I want to play ACTUAL PZ.  I understand this is an unstable build, etc, but still.  I remember reading how someone said that we didn't need guides when there were only 5 zombies on a street.  Well, at this point, some of us do.  We die when facing as few as 3. 

I'm not that good at the game, I'm still new.  But in build 31, I could handle 5 zombies at one time with a baseball bat.  Now...I won't face even 2, because one of them is going to dodge my stout character's baseball bat. 

I'm just trying to state simply that I am frustrated with this build, and I will continue testing it regardless.  Thank you for reading this, and I'm sorry for being rude, but hey.  At the end of the day, I should be able to hit more than 2/5 zombies with my bat, in my humble opinion. 

snip

I never played Survival mode (Well, once, to test something) I always play Sandbox, even if I don't change any options. I never felt like I'm not playing Actual PZ by doing so.

And don't worry, you'll learn :P I'm the guy who kept complaining PZ was too easy in Build 31 and I was getting killed over and over when I first started playing. I used easy sandbox presets as training mode and got to a point where I can handle 10+ zombies with my Nerfed Weapons Mod (You can only hit 1 zombie at a time with it) and generally enjoy making zombies harder in sandbox.

Also, the unpushable zombies was a bug and should be fixed as of 31.2

Ahem, I should say, I'm not 100% sure that it's fixed (haven't found a blunt weapon yet...only forks.  Maybe once I get past these two hordes... :P)  But I fought 11 zombies, and four of them were a group, with my bare hands, without a hitch.  Ok, a few punches, but not bites or scratches (gotta love thick skin!)  But until I get a blunt weapon, I can't say if I think it's fixed (Gotta test what they say they did!)  It seems like it, though.  I'm not going to be sold until I get a semi-large (5) group of zombies and a baseball bat or similar weapon. 

So, hey, I'm happy now.  Though, now that I can walk a block...there ARE a lot of zombies.  Too many?  Well..let me make it 2 blocks, and I'll say haha.

And be careful with those scissors Svarog!  You might hit some precious organs if your not careful! [/terrible jokes]

Edit: oh, and I am happy with the new zombie loot.  A big hiking backpack on a zombie?  Did anyone say dead survivor? ...That, plus, you know, it's nice to have a reason to check corpses.

-snip-snip-snip-snip-

And be careful with those scissors Svarog!  You might hit some precious organs if your not careful! [/terrible jokes]

When I was a kid I accidentally executed a stupid idea in my head and cut my finger with scissors, painted the kitchen wall red (Yay for blood fountains) I've gotten better in the subtle art of operating scissors since so you don't have to worry.

Damn.... I think I Farmvilled it.

I've done a few runs on the IWBUMS build (and, overall, had way more fun than I did on the previous build) and generally never survived more than a week. So today I thought I'd make a week my target. 

The first 48 hours were, as with every other game I've played so far, pure horde hell. I'd spawned in the relatively isolated house with unclimbable fences all around it. Knowing that there is a nice 2-story nearby I decide to make my way there. The only problem was the closest thing I could find to a weapon was a damn fork. So a lot of sneaking, running, desperately trying to open locked windows - the usual hullaballo of fun. I get lucky and find myself a hammer and some nails (nails seem to spawn a lot in the trailer parks. Is there some stereotype about trailer park boys being nail aficionados I'm unaware of?) which allows me to implement a tactic I've used very successfully in previous builds - lots of houses with sheet ropes on either side, a great way to escape the ravening horde.

I don't get too far into my ingenious plan before I'm being overwhelmed and decide to high-tail it back to the only place I have successfully sheet roped, my intended safehouse, resulting in every damned window in the place getting broken making it considerably less, well, safe. I clear the place out with my trusty frying pan, put sheets on ALL the windows and make a point of only ever sleeping upstairs.

I decide, realistically my only hope of survival is to get hold of a fireaxe so I can barricade those broken windows, so off to the warehouse I go. Again, horde hell. I find if I largely stick to the park I see very few zombies and make it to the warehouse without too much fuss, at which point I immediately trip an alarm.

Fuck, I think to myself and begin to run for it before logic kicks in and I decide I'm better off staying inside the three story building and looting what I can until they arrive then hiding upstairs - after all, running away is just as likely to have me crashing straight into the huddled, brain-hungry masses as anything else I do.

No one comes. Like not a single Zombie. It's weird.

I find the fireaxe and decide to fuck the fuck off. On the way out I see what I assume was the horde responding to the alarm, a huge clump of Zs just standing around. I guess they were on their way to eat me when it stopped and they got bored? Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing... the idea of them just stopping like that is jarring to me somehow but at the same time, how long would a zombie follow a noise that isn't audible any more?

I make it back to base with a lot of damn fine loot, including my beloved fireaxe, a saw, a trowel and basically everything you need for end game.

This is where it begins to suck, and not in a good way.

I start a little routine of planting my farm in the morning and chopping wood the rest of the day, hoping to level up enough to make some rain collector barrels (hey, do you know what would make an excellent rain collection barrel? Literally anything you left outside in the rain.I'm chopping down hundreds of trees just so I can make... what exactly? What is it that makes my rain collector barrel infinitely superior to, say, the garbage can outside my front door? Or, for that matter, a damn cooking pot left on the lawn? But I digress).

This... is... dull. What makes it worse is that, despite cutting down literally a couple of hundred trees (and sawing them all up to boot) I encounter maybe 5 zombies responding to all the noise I made. OK, the new spawn system meant that, on one day, there was a horde a little too close to one side of my house... so I walked a screen or so down the street and did my chopping there. The devs, in defence of the new build, that they want you to feel grateful every day when you went to bed that you had survived. This was not that experience for me - it was tedious fucking grind, totally necessary to my long term survival because carpenters are the only people in this world with the wherewithal to collect rainwater for some reason (IMHO, even a cup left outside in the rain should collect *some* water if we want this to be a realistic zombie survival sim.)

Along with my tedious, pointless chop-tree-saw-tree-saw-plank-into-sticks routine I decide to wall off my garden. The noise of all this building also does not attract the hordes. In doing this I discover two more annoying little nuggets about the new spawn system. I've build a large walled off area and I literally only have to put the door on. I go out into the wild to get some more hinges and some nails. I return to the trailer park I had visited in the first week when it was an absolute mess of zombies and it's totally deserted. I guess the meta events etc. work so well now that the zombies clump together to the point of totally depopulating some areas. I honestly can't decide whether I think this is a good thing or a bad one but the experience of going from "Holy shit! They're everywhere"! To "where is everybody?" was certainly jarring and I don't feel like the world should be getting safer a few weeks into the game than it is on day 1-3.   

Irritating thing number 2 came when I got back to my safehouse. As I said it was all walled off apart from the doorway, so what do I find when I return? 5 Zs inside. I assume what happened was that there was a respawn while I was a way and as the spawner could find a route to those points, it spawned the zombies there. Now, on the one hand, this was the most interesting thing to happen for at least an in-game week and actually led to me running away etc. but it felt a little wrong. I'd been gardening and chopping wood in this area pretty solidly for 10 days or so and had barely a sniff of zeek, but I disappear for a day and come back to find him crawling all over my vegetable patch. If it had been a meta-game event, helicopter or whatevs, I could understand, but that would have left the place crawling with the suckers. It's a minor point really but I hope the final build is able to differentiate not just between "possible" and "impossible" places for zombies to spawn but "unlikely" ones too. This would greatly improve the barricading experience as, at present, there's little point in barricading an area unless you can totally enclose it - it's 100% protection or nothing, which again doesn't make the best experience (from my point of view.

Still, I cleared them out, built my door and a rain barrel (OK I might need 2 of these and I'm 1 garbage bag away from achieving it, so it's not totally end-game yet) and, well, it's Farmville all over again. It's only day 26 and I suppose a lot can happen... but the last 3 weeks haven't seen any hordes come knocking so I don't see why they would now.

Two additional points:

I've yet to find a recipe book (except one for a smoke bomb, which didn't actually tell me how to make a smoke bomb). Are there meant to be food recipe books in this build?

I can't make bread for some reason. Admittedly, I never made bread before but I have all the ingredients I need, just none of them offer me the option to make dough, even when I have them all in my main inventory. Bug or me being stupid?

I expect I'll jump back on tomorrow. I'll probably die doing something stupid (or trying to get those final garbage bags + box of nails I need to get to the true end game) but right now it feels like if I just sat in my little fort farming I'd live forever. 

TL;DR - The first week is hell then things get surprisingly easy again, provided you don't try and live right in the middle of town. 

Hey.... I think the population is a bit too much, considering its such a small population area I was in.  I had one alarm blast off and... Maybe a hundred or something zombies showed up (Through the streets). Sorry, if this is me moaning about an error in coding, but its a bit crazy xD 

-SNIP-

Damn, shame that the Zombie danger didn't seem to carry on later in the game - can you confirm where your safehouse was?

Pretty much any cabin in the woods would be the end of the game as well once your self - sustainable (the one near westpoint being the easiest one).

Okay, quick story: Started a survival game, started as an Axe man, standard trait settings, spawned in Muldraugh. Tried to start being sneaky, number of zombies force me to run like hell! Great fun, trying to evade the chasing zombies, breaking into houses and escaping out the back, dashing through trees etc. Finally made my way to McCoy Logging, hardly any zombies, so managed to find some great items, (3 x axes!). Carefully made my way back toward town, stopped at the big Warehouse after luring a group of zombies away. Grabbed some more supplies and headed to the North Farm. So far so good, nice and quiet there too.

Anyway, decided to go on a looting run, some very tense moments trying to sneak my way around. All was going well until I was entering a house East of Kate and Baldspot's home, then the alarm went off...and this happened:

hehehe, that was awesome fun! I did manage to get away, and am currently on day 8, no bites or scratches...yet. Just heading back to the North Farm, and can hopefully avoid setting off any more alarms!  :D

-SNIP-

Damn, shame that the Zombie danger didn't seem to carry on later in the game - can you confirm where your safehouse was?

Yes I can:

http://imgur.com/BKsDLDt

As you can see, not exactly a cabin in the woods, but being on the very edge of town may have helped. 

Sadly about 5 minutes after writing my mammoth post last night I went out looking for garbage bags and got myself bit. With anxious and nauseous Moodles jangling away I decided to grab my pistol, run into the populated area and start blasting, with the hope of actually brining some of the dead over to my place to test out my defences. I wasn't able to keep a horde following me for long enough to make this work and Jim Adams died doing what he loved - drinking bleach in his barricaded bathroom while three zombies gently bashed their heads on defences at least 2 layers of fuck you away from my actual self.

I died of stupid too - fighting one zombie when another just showed up right behind my and took a nice big bite. 

And he was just one garbage bag away from retirement *sniffs back tear*. 

My feelings regarding the challenges -

I've been playing with the challenge modes, mostly "Winter is Coming", and so far I'm liking it. I died the first time after getting snagged by a horde, but restarted on the same save. Winter set in after about 6 days, instead of 3. I'm up to 22 days and I've killed 137 zombies, so I've been using a more stealthy method.

As far as zombie amounts, I'm siding with those in favor. I like the little (sometimes rather large) pockets of hordes. I feel it makes the game more complicated and involved. I like that I now have to worry about a horde breezing through and leveling my "base" (if it can really be called that). I like that I never feel completely safe. I like that I should now have a backup plan when things do go south. It's great that things now have to be planned based on the current situation, which seems more dire. What I really like is that the game is a challenge again. With over 1100 hours put into this game, I was getting too comfortable. Personally, I don't think one should ever feel comfortable in a zombie apocalypse. 

The spawn point being only in Muldraugh is kind of a blessing and a curse. There are definitely less zombies (trust me, I tried to relocate to West Point, which is what killed me the first time through...). But, there is no body of water to fish or get water from. However, there are still wells at a few locations. For this reason, my next move is to relocate to the farm on the far west side of Muldraugh.

Apart from the zombie amounts/spawns, "Winter is Coming" has other difficulties. The item spawns are pretty low. Some of the most commonly spawned items, perishable food, provide no support or reassurance as they are all rotten. This provides a challenge in itself as some of us heavily rely on that source early in the game, saving the nonperishables for winter. With the added amounts of zombies, every scavenged resource becomes precious.

The only thing that's really bothering me is that the zombies appear to be completely unaffected by the cold, and I wasn't sure if it was intentional or an oversight (if so, I'll put it in the tracker. Just wanted to be sure first!). I think this adds to the challenge, but may be a little unfair, especially to those with lower sprinting capabilities. I chose the fitness instructor profession along with the "fit" trait and I'm still having a hard time when the "Hypothermic" moodle pops up. The zombies seem like they're moving at the same speed as they would in neutral conditions.

Overall, I'm really liking the challenges so far. I've tried the other new ones, "You Have One Day" and "Opening Hours". I managed to live over 6 days in "You Have One Day", there is a spot on the tallest building where you can stand and over 90% of the zombies will walk off the edge trying to get to you. Those that manage to reach the player can sometimes be pushed off. On the same building, there is a railing against the outer wall of the building which can be jumped over, in and out of the wall. The game eventually got so many zombies that it lagged out. When I restarted, all of my nonperishables were gone, all of my water I had left on the ground was gone, and my perishables were reset and no longer rotten. The same lag happened during the "Opening Hours" challenge. I adjusted the settings, which helped a bit, but I didn't last very long.

I like the changes made in this build, there's just one thing; Right now, in the RP server I'm playing on, there are countless of GIGANTIC hordes roaming around, and ruining every player-built thing. That's alright, in my opinion, it's what the hordes would do.

What it feels like to me, right now, is that with the new spawning system, it takes the  "Current/Cap and % growth" every [Respawn Time], as EasyPickins' post shows.

ZombiePopulationWindow.png

The problem, it seems to me, is that it refills the hordes in a certain area after this period of time, if they're under this cap.
Sound (like, guns), and ambient noises drags zombies from one area to the other, effectively increasing the amount of Zombies in one cluster of the map, and decreasing the amount in an other area. Especially if you're in the heart of Muldraugh or West Point and let loose a few shotgun rounds where zombies with strong hearing are, half the town will run there, draining all the areas of zombies, and filling up one or two chunks. Those two chunks won't respawn any new ones, but the emptied-out ones will.

My point is, in SinglePlayer this could be cope-able with, but as long as there's no way to get the amount of zombies that surpass the amount culled, Multiplayer servers that aren't going on pause will keep accumulating these gigantic hordes that are just impossible to deal with.  

Again, I understand the change, and am aware it's an IWBUMS build, along with "The point of the game is to survive, not thrive and make a farming/building sim", but this seems a bit unreasonable in my opinion. One player built an base in the middle of nowhere, a forest, and even there, ambient noises and his own building attracted such a massive horde that nobody can go and look at that area anymore without their client freezing up and crashing.

Regardless, thank you, Devs, for your ongoing work in Zomboid! I'm enjoying the new patch otherwise.

The problem, it seems to me, is that it refills the hordes in a certain area after this period of time, if they're under this cap.

Sound (like, guns), and ambient noises drags zombies from one area to the other, effectively increasing the amount of Zombies in one cluster of the map, and decreasing the amount in an other area. Especially if you're in the heart of Muldraugh or West Point and let loose a few shotgun rounds where zombies with strong hearing are, half the town will run there, draining all the areas of zombies, and filling up one or two chunks. Those two chunks won't respawn any new ones, but the emptied-out ones will.

This has not been my experience - I have instead found that zombies increasingly "cluster" as more meta-game events happen, to the point that entire areas are depopulated. One street will be deserted while the next will be filled with unimaginable hordes.

My point is, in SinglePlayer this could be cope-able with, but as long as there's no way to get the amount of zombies that surpass the amount culled, Multiplayer servers that aren't going on pause will keep accumulating these gigantic hordes that are just impossible to deal with.  

Again, I understand the change, and am aware it's an IWBUMS build, along with "The point of the game is to survive, not thrive and make a farming/building sim", but this seems a bit unreasonable in my opinion. One player built an base in the middle of nowhere, a forest, and even there, ambient noises and his own building attracted such a massive horde that nobody can go and look at that area anymore without their client freezing up and crashing.

Regardless, thank you, Devs, for your ongoing work in Zomboid! I'm enjoying the new patch otherwise.

Maybe the respawn mechanics need to take the map-wide population into account if it doesn't already. Otherwise, zombies will respawn infinitely as they move out of their starting cells and leave their starting cell's amount under its cap with no player interaction.

EDIT: Though it's definitely cool if the zombie population increases over time like, based on this, I assume it does. Not sure it was intended that way though.

I think maybe having your character wake up on any metagame event that can attract death so you have a chance to at least be up even if they're 5 seconds from breaking in your bedroom window, or if they are banging you should also wake up.

^this - there should be a 'wake from sleep' trigger (lower threshold for light sleeper) that allows a character to react to the environmental changes but also prevents characters from getting restful, meaningful sleep (a full 12 hours of uninterrupted sleep should be a reward, a goal to strive for, in a zombie apocalypse.  Heck, even make it one of those Steam Achievements)

EDIT: Though it's definitely cool if the zombie population increases over time like, based on this, I assume it does. Not sure it was intended that way though.

Yeah, I agree on that, but if there're hordes that exeed the population numbers of those individual towns, it's a bit nuts, and those can't all be roaming Zeds or hordes from other regions alone! :D

I like the changes made in this build, there's just one thing; Right now, in the RP server I'm playing on, there are countless of GIGANTIC hordes roaming around, and ruining every player-built thing. That's alright, in my opinion, it's what the hordes would do.

What it feels like to me, right now, is that with the new spawning system, it takes the  "Current/Cap and % growth" every [Respawn Time], as EasyPickins' post shows.

ZombiePopulationWindow.png

I think it's actually a couple things working in tandem- as you said, meta events dragging zombies, and then the fact that zombies attract more zombies with sound (clump) makes it so that zombies are like little magnet shavings- they all get attracted to each other and end up in giant clumps.

In theory, I'm fine with this, but it might be nice if something like 1 in 3 zombies didn't react to other zombie noises and had a much smaller range of being attracted to meta events.

I think it's actually a couple things working in tandem- as you said, meta events dragging zombies, and then the fact that zombies attract more zombies with sound (clump) makes it so that zombies are like little magnet shavings- they all get attracted to each other and end up in giant clumps.

In theory, I'm fine with this, but it might be nice if something like 1 in 3 zombies didn't react to other zombie noises and had a much smaller range of being attracted to meta events.

This, after some time the only place where lone zombies can be seen is inside houses.

I like hordes but when there is nothing but huge clumps of zeds it looks and feels wrong.

Some Tutorial Feedback RJ:

• Bleeding to death from smashing windows seems to end it earlier than intended. Perhaps a lesson needs to be added about bandaging?
  • The placement window for eating the dead mouse is in a HORRIBLE spot. Makes it hard to eat 1/4 or 1/2, and if you have looted some items can make it difficult to click on eating it at all without some extreme maneuvering around of that window.
  • Dehydration and Starving to death before the tutorial is over (or begun) is real.

Okay, quick story: Started a survival game, started as an Axe man, standard trait settings, spawned in Muldraugh. Tried to start being sneaky, number of zombies force me to run like hell! Great fun, trying to evade the chasing zombies, breaking into houses and escaping out the back, dashing through trees etc. Finally made my way to McCoy Logging, hardly any zombies, so managed to find some great items, (3 x axes!). Carefully made my way back toward town, stopped at the big Warehouse after luring a group of zombies away. Grabbed some more supplies and headed to the North Farm. So far so good, nice and quiet there too.

Anyway, decided to go on a looting run, some very tense moments trying to sneak my way around. All was going well until I was entering a house East of Kate and Baldspot's home, then the alarm went off...and this happened:

hehehe, that was awesome fun! I did manage to get away, and am currently on day 8, no bites or scratches...yet. Just heading back to the North Farm, and can hopefully avoid setting off any more alarms!  :D

I love to see that kind of action back in the game.

But man, waking up to be dropping FPS like crazy and then seeing this:

PTV5mu9.jpg

Is crazy, challenge mode does not fuck around, i tried to interconnect buildings by a air bridge, they followed me though 3 different bases, getting wood was even more crazy since i had half a day to carry logs before they found my ass.

hello there, i'm loving the new zombies :D they chase you better, and i love the fact that pushback isn't always a thing, i'd nerf it a lil bit more (i really feel like i'm avoiding death by hiding right now, and it's priceless, i want to be sure that i can't kill a group of 6+ zombie without a risk).
that said, i have a small complaint and a question about fuel pumps:
it is realist for pumps to stop workng when the power goes off, but that's the time when fuel is really needed, i did some (pathetic) math, and i think that a generator uses 25% of fuel in a whole day of work (constant working is necessary for the fridge, and 12 hours would me likely in multiplayer, due to not being able to sleep), a gas can fuels 40% of the generator's capacity.
so i thought that i could bring the generator to the fuel station, allowing the pump to work and having as a side effect the fact that bringing the generator on both trips takes a lot of inventory space, don't allow me to have a weapon equipped and lets me take way less full gas cans. that would help a lot in multiplayer, in a server with a small community this would be surely needed, due to many generators active 12/7 and one 24/7. the question is: is the amount of fuel inside a pump finite or infinite? personally i'd prefer the first one, since there is more than a fuel station, but surely a huge amount of gas.
one last thing i noticed is that the generators always use the same amount of power, it doesn't matter if you turn every light on inside. the real last thing is: i did put charcoal into the bbq but the stuff is not cooking, what am i doing wrong? i have no "turn on" option and i have a lighter on me. despite this small things, this update is awesome

No ones going to stick around when alarms go off anymore.... Hahaha xD 

I fixed two things that caused zombie numbers to be too high in this build.  In Build 31, if a chunk was not allowed to spawn zombies (because it was in a building, or all water) those chunks would not contribute to the desired population at all.  But in Build 32 I was counting zombies for those chunks and spawning the zombies elsewhere.

In Build 31 there was a random 1/3 chance that a chunk would have no zombies at all.  I'd left that out in Build 32.

With these two changes the population numbers looks like this now in part of West Point.  Quite a bit lower but still zombies everywhere.  (In my previous screenshot for Build 32, the numbers clockwise were 635, 946, 675, 746).

FixedZombieCount.png