RELEASED Build 32

EasyPickins

Guys how about solve that zombie spawn in that way:

the rate we have now (build 32) is 100%

When you start a new game zombies spawn on 60-70% but within a week they will reach 100%.

So those that complain will have easy start but after a week when you go looting new areas the zombie rate will be same as it is right now.

Feels like the You Have One Day challenge, but now you have one week challenge?

Then surviving a week would be not any accomplishment?

the 60-70% and a week part can be changed so it wont be easy but wont be too hard. the general plan is to have reduced number of zeda at start and then increase during the game.

Guys how about solve that zombie spawn in that way:

the rate we have now (build 32) is 100%

When you start a new game zombies spawn on 60-70% but within a week they will reach 100%.

So those that complain will have easy start but after a week when you go looting new areas the zombie rate will be same as it is right now.

Feels like the You Have One Day challenge, but now you have one week challenge?

Then surviving a week would be not any accomplishment?

the 60-70% and a week part can be changed so it wont be easy but wont be too hard. the general plan is to have reduced number of zeda at start and then increase during the game.

I like the idea but i cant shake the feeling that i must play though a week to get to the hell on earth difficulty, i do like the idea of zombies "migrating"  per say but i think Survival must try to kill you from day 1 to 7, ,maybe the first 3 days it ups the zombie count 10%?

Simulating that the situation is getting worse and worse by the day?

Day 0-70% (General loot and safehouse picking)

Day 1-80% (Gathering of materials)

Day 2-90% (Safehouse fortification)

Day 3-100% (Getting the lube, farming day)

Day 4-Pray to a favorite god

Day 5-You die

You know what this reminds me of?

Have you seen Dawn of the dead (Remake)? There is a speacial thing on the DVD that shows a News Special Report.

They show how as the hours passes, the infestation starts to get worse and worse thought the day and then at the last hour full on infestation.

Maybe something like that would work, but i just would prefer day 0 begin hell on earth from the go.

People will complain anyway saying that the difficulty ramps up too quickly.

Well now that I've played it I really like it, however my death wasn't really... preventable? I know that's stupid about a game where you will die, but dying from 10+ zombies surrounding you in your room after waking up was rather annoying. I did well to get the safehouse and I felt happy to actually see no zeds but I woke up due to the glass breaking but they were already around me, I managed to escape them, but I'm dead now anyway. :P 

I mean, I think it was the metagame because a gunshot went off (nothing happened for a day or two) and then a guy screamed as I was sleeping so, I'm not sure how I'd be able to put up with it if it happens often, again, only my first test and I love the majority of it except for that. I think maybe having your character wake up on any metagame event that can attract death so you have a chance to at least be up even if they're 5 seconds from breaking in your bedroom window, or if they are banging you should also wake up. Something like that would be nice I think. Don't know if anyone else had this type of death but it's the only problem I have, never happened to me before actually. Otherwise, good job, but I'd love a change to that to give a warning. :D

Well now that I've played it I really like it, however my death wasn't really... preventable? I know that's stupid about a game where you will die, but dying from 10+ zombies surrounding you in your room after waking up was rather annoying. I did well to get the safehouse and I felt happy to actually see no zeds but I woke up due to the glass breaking but they were already around me, I managed to escape them, but I'm dead now anyway. :P 

I mean, I think it was the metagame because a gunshot went off (nothing happened for a day or two) and then a guy screamed as I was sleeping so, I'm not sure how I'd be able to put up with it if it happens often, again, only my first test and I love the majority of it except for that. I think maybe having your character wake up on any metagame event that can attract death so you have a chance to at least be up even if they're 5 seconds from breaking in your bedroom window, or if they are banging you should also wake up. Something like that would be nice I think. Don't know if anyone else had this type of death but it's the only problem I have, never happened to me before actually. Otherwise, good job, but I'd love a change to that to give a warning. :D

What's more annoying is dying from zombies hugging me 1 second after I spawn. I guess I must have been chilling with him before.

Well some things to ask right off the bat.

1-How many zombies were around your house?

2-Did you put sheets over EVERY single window?

3-Did you slept upstairs or downstairs?

Also that is why the barricades are important now, they are VERY important now since the bang on the barricades will wake you up and give you a heads up to start running.

Well some things to ask right off the bat.

1-How many zombies were around your house?

2-Did you put sheets over EVERY single window?

3-Did you slept upstairs or downstairs?

Also that is why the barricades are important now, they are VERY important now since the bang on the barricades will wake you up and give you a heads up to start running.

1- I had just cleared out zombies around the surrounding area and houses, I saw none around where they got in either or heard nothing. 

2-Yep, there were curtains on and I had just got a sheet and put it up on the last window.

3- Downstairs, I wasn't able to get to a upstairs house, I was just happy to see an area to breathe.

I agree, but I wasn't able to get any due to the fact the town was so packed and I wasn't able to find an axe. Good point! I should have used barricades though so I'll have to watch out for them or someway to get them and just not sleep :P.

I think the zombie population levels are just about right on the mark. The size of the hordes and the quickness they seem to build up is pretty sweet.  Yeah there are definitely more zombies, but I got explosives and fire and big open fields to play Pied Piper in.  Seems like a fair trade off to me.

Generators, potentially heightened difficulty, traps; goodness gracious TIS you've outdone yourselves with this update. Can't wait to inevitably screw up and blow up my safehouse experiment with the new explosive means of disposing of zombies. That might help me clear downtown West Point a touch faster. Great work devs as always.

We seem to be repeating history. If you want a grace period, please, play one of the challenges or sandbox. :/

God bless You Have One Day Challange, i would like to see more of that kind of challenges now.

Hope we don't get a grace period either, lets see what happens next.

Generators, potentially heightened difficulty, traps; goodness gracious TIS you've outdone yourselves with this update. Can't wait to inevitably screw up and blow up my safehouse experiment with the new explosive means of disposing of zombies. That might help me clear downtown West Point a touch faster. Great work devs as always.

If you use explosives downtown you'll burn the whole town down

We seem to be repeating history. If you want a grace period, please, play one of the challenges or (suggest it, in the Suggestions forum, as an option for) sandbox. :/

its not grace peroid. the you have one day challenge have little to none zeds at start. my idea is to start with little bit less zeds than we have in build 32 but still more than in 31.

IMO its more fun when the difficulty ramps up during the game rather than have it at the same lvl from the start (apart from water and power shutdown)

To be frank. It would be easier to give appropiate suggestions if there was a fast way to read about what exactly the dev's have envisioned for each mode, if there is i haven't seen it.

On the one hand there is talk about how radio and tv transmissions will report about the world slowly going to hell, but then it is not appropiate to suggest a little bit of gradual increase that would fit with that. Noone said anything about wanting to have a grace peroid, it should still be hard from the start, but not stomping you right away, is all i meant. But we all are just wuss and want easy mode so we should go play sandbox right?

Whatever, it is to frustrating to try give appropiate feedback here, i opt out of iwbums, good luck with the game.

Hi! Been lurking the forums for a bit and just wanted to add my comments about zombie spawn count. I've played this game for a few months on and off before build 32, and I must agree that survival was too easy before. I approve of things being more difficult, but as someone mentioned, project zomboid builds a lot on realism. On this account, I would say the zombie spawns are too high. I would expect each house to contain 2-6 residents (ie. zombies), but it seems like before the zombie apocalypse every house in muldraugh must have been hosting large parties of 20 people at least, considering how many zombies are in and around the houses. To me this breaks the immersion and realism of the game, even if it is a good fun challenge. Just my thoughts on the subject. Thanks for a great game guys!

To be frank. It would be easier to give appropiate suggestions if there was a fast way to read about what exactly the dev's have envisioned for each mode, if there is i haven't seen it.

Lets see what i can find shall we.

From 2011 in the blog

Well the surviving for years isn’t really what this game is about. Here we’re telling the story of your death, not your triumphant survival against all odds.

The game starts with you within the confines of a quarantined city. The outside world still oblivious to the truth of what is happening, but this will change. Once they are hit by the apocalypse, those other people will be much more able to deal with the zombie threat. With time to prepare for the situation, or to flee for the frozen tundra where the Zomboids would merely freeze. They may survive. But you are inside the confines of a quarantine, squeezed in with a million zombies, and there’s no getting out. You’re fucked, if you pardon the language.

Like Dwarf Fortress, the community of which has a motto which is ‘It’s fun to lose’, what we’re offering here isn’t a game where your characters goal is to save the world, find a cure or flee to the promised land.

The goal here is purely to have the most unique and remarkable adventure leading up to your eventual and inevitable demise. One that you can tell your PZ playing mates about, or could chronicle in a blog diary, or record on youtube, or draw a web comic of. A unique and deep story of your final experiences that others will find engaging and enjoy hearing or reading about. So you’re destined to die. Pessimistic and bleak? Perhaps, but what we’re looking to accomplish here is to strip the formal ‘main quest chasing’ mentality of playing the game.

Are you on a desperate bid to locate your missing wife so you can at least be together when the end comes? Perhaps you’ll make a run at the quarantine border and see if you can get away, before being ripped apart with gunfire? Maybe you’re using the situation to your advantage and hoarding weapons and recruiting thugs to establish dominance over the remaining survivors of the city?

You make your own goals, and hell, if you play a single game long enough and are lucky enough, then you may end up surviving for many months. But there are two other cities in the tristate area you are in, and once they fall, there will be a fresh sea of undead stumbling in your direction. There’s simply no end that doesn’t involve your death.

That all said, we want to provide plenty of rewards for the player who survives longer than you’d expect an average player to. As we stated in the original feature list, at about a month after the game begins, after the zombies go worldwide, the power station providing electricity to your city goes offline. And suddenly that’s a massive game changer.

That one thing suddenly shifts how you survive and changes the game-play in a quite significant way. No longer are you raiding fridges for fresh food, or using ovens to cook it. Plunged into darkness at night means torches and batteries become a prized commodity, and the value of different items suddenly change. Some become survival musts, some become completely redundant. Canned food become the most sought after item in the city, and can openers are worth more than gold.

We have some exciting ideas on how to provide a strong but optional narrative that the player can choose to follow, for as long as they survive, that will help a lot to tie together an otherwise completely sand boxy and story-less game.

That, along with randomized NPCs and quests, will hopefully ultimately provide an environment where players can have remarkable, funny, tragic, shocking things happen to them and their companions, stories worthy of telling others.

And if you have got 5,000 likes on youtube for your hilariously botched shopping mall looting excursion, that will probably be a more satisfying game reward than getting a YES YOU SURVIVED CONGRATS. THE END screen. Ammarite?

Here they explain that surviving a month should be  milestone to be proud off, that there are going to be 2 cities that "fall" and that will make a new horde of zombies come into the quarantine zone (dunno if this is going into full effect anytime soon and what cities are going to fall.)

Then we have Operation Fix Late Game By Killing You Before You Get There by the one and only Lemmy in October 2014.

Zombies assemble! - We're going to be working at bringing back the hordes of the days of yore.

Like the proper hordes we used to have. This is all dependent on how much multiplayer traffic can handle but we're working at making more dynamic and numerous hordes.

Difficulty scales up over time instead of down. Through various balance changes, instead of the difficulty falling off as you get more supplies and clear out an area for a safehouse, the game will become more and more difficult as time goes on. Living a month or two will now be a bloody huge deal. The late game once you have a base and farming and the like will no longer get dull, because our aim is to make every night you rest your head on a pillow alive and not undead a blessing the player is thankful for and a triumph they will be proud of. Things like food, refrigeration, zombies, migration, and a whole host of other things will be severely rebalanced. Instead of having a fridge full of about three months of food, you're more likely to be looking for something to fill your belly. Likewise changes to stuff like endurance will make the effects of fatigue much more long term instead of a momentary blip.

Our plan is to perfectly balance the game to provide challenge to experienced players from beginning to end, and to squeeze the survival times to make long survival a real proud achievement, and the beginner mode means we can provide a bit more hand holding to first time players so they can figure out the mechanics without being chewed to death within the first minute of gameplay.

Here is something that caught my eye here:

Lemmy:

But the point is our aim is for PZ's difficulty graph to increase over time, but start off as close to how it is now on day 1 as possible. 

But in short, with the introduction of the beginner mode, we are finally unbound by 'make it fun for someone playing for first time' issues that led us to be way too restrained with zombie numbers and refrigerator effectiveness, loot amounts, combat difficulty etc etc. We can be truly brutal motherf**kers again.

Then we have RobertJohnson on the thread saying:

We do not intend to make the game "unbeatable", it's just that we added many way to survive (fishing, trapping, more building, foraging..) making the game easy to survive, we want to bring back the good ol' zombie apocalypse, where every step count, every mistake could be the last, where sleeping without curtains and light on mean inevitable death.

It'll still be ok to survive, you'll just have to be very carefull, the thing right now, with an axe you can survive for month, because you don't really fear a 300+ zombies horde roaming, everyone now do quickly some carpentry and then build rain barrel + farming, and well, you're set, the games can become boring for lot of people because of that.

So we have already beginner mode and the difficulty is up, i think they did warn us of how they are going to be brutal with us like when the pre-alpha demo was out, thing that everyone wanted (veteran players).

Here are the links if you have doubts:

http://web.archive.org/web/20110926032258/http://projectzomboid.com/blog/index.php/2011/04/project-zomboid-game-length-and-world-timeline/

http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/10884-operation-fix-late-game-by-killing-you-before-you-get-there/

That's not just it. Look at this. 

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=450103033

That's only about a tenth of all of them.

I dunno how many people muldraugh has, but if there's this many, i must have about 90 percent of them.

The reason i have such an issue is that before build 32 i could fire a sawed off at the same place 100 times and i'd be lucky if 30 showed up.

now if i fire it once, all the people in knox county tag along to the party.

good

Well sheit.

The one time i can not find a screwdriver.

Heading into downtown muldraugh to that car workshop to try and find a screwdriver, if not there, mccoy.

Why the fuck do you devs have to be so cryptic on the recipies to these new items?

Why not show us all the recipies instead of making us wait for those who update the wiki? (Who seem to be taking their sweet ass time)

I need to make a noisemaker.

Please tell me the crafting recipie.

May want to check your tone first, but RJ already said he didn't want the recipes listed earlier (not that I necessarily agree with that, as I think recipes that you have learned should be displayed).

Far as who updates the wiki, well, that would be YOU! The developers already said they don't update the wiki, and its left to the player base to do so. Problem is, its hard to get information out (further compounded by the problem of this being an ever-changing alpha), and usually when its asked for were told to dive into the game files ourselves, so that pretty much answers all your questions.

New version, 32.2!

• Game will now consider that's there a lot of zombies for looting if you have no zombies in sandbox (to help testing)

Thanks RJ. That might have explained some of loot issues I had when I was testing in sandbox and affected my feedback. Just curious, why is loot even tied to zombies, especially when we already have settings for loot? Makes me curious now, will you get ridiculous loot amounts if you set it to insane population + abundant?

Thanks RJ. That might have explained some of loot issues I had when I was testing in sandbox and affected my feedback. Just curious, why is loot even tied to zombies, especially when we already have settings for loot? Makes me curious now, will you get ridiculous loot amounts if you set it to insane population + abundant?

Aye, but it's caped.

Basically, the more zombies mean either the more survivors dead, so they gathered lot of ressources, or no survivor has been there, meaning lot of loots too... And it's to make a good gameplay too, the more zombies, the more difficult, but the more reward you'll have ;)