RELEASED Build 32

EasyPickins

No one say anyone will be banned, we're talking, don't worry :)

It's just that, it's only 3 days of IWBUMS, and I see some complain, but hey, it's intended to be hard, it's not impossible tho, you have a learning curve, Twiggy can do it, I can do it, I'm sure plenty of others people find it challenging, not impossible.

Really, the beginner mode is here to help, it's not a shame to use it, or even go in sandbox and lower the numbers of zombies!

Again, it's only the 3rd day, we may balance this, but we won't lower it because I have 3 people telling me it's hard :D

I'm just trying to help and it was a valid concern of mine, if you don't think planned features should be kept in mind when balancing this game now, then fine, don't worry, i won't post my junk anymore.

Have a good day.

Then you have some poor timing, as it follows immediately after you state that the game, in Survival mode, is far too hard and you want it changed. It then looks like you're trying to change the topic from "I can't survive" to "NPCs and cars just won't work."

^ I feel like I can't post my opinion on the forums anymore without getting a comment like that. And if I give talk like that to a moderator I get banned. Where did "be lovely" go? Or does it only apply to people on the forums with no power? I'm not starting an argument, it's just what I've noticed lately on some replies from the devs and mods (and I understand the devs stress though). I'll leave it at that. I assume I'll get a warning point but if it's at the cost of making the forums be lovely again I don't mind.

Yet you're not banned or warned, nor have you been.

It's safe to say I find this a bit exasperating. EasyPickins has already said he'd address this issue and RobertJohnson has asked you guys to try out sandbox if survival is a bit too tough. Feedback on Steam/Reddit/TIS has been majorly positive so far, as Lemmy mentioned.

Also how do you intend to balance that with cars and npc's? You might aswell forget about them entirely, npc's won't stay alive, except if you make them cheat, and cars... well we all know it is a bad idea to drive a car through zombie infested new york city :P.

Good question. The intent of NPCs was to be able to survive the "8 months later"-Scenario for a good duration of time so I don't expect this to be a big bump in the road, really.

You have to keep in mind they are not always actually moving around like a player but - if outside of a player's streaming area - are simulated on a more abstract layer as part of the meta game. This also helps to keep a particular character alive for however the game deems him useful. Maybe someone you backstabbed. Or someone who backstabbed you, but you decided to spare him. Many more reasons.

Regarding cars, it's been mentioned that they are already actually functional. Currently, there's just a technical limitation with them being properly streamed, most notably in MP.

This is currently being worked on, possibly with the help of a third party in conjunction with proper Steam support.

As for it being a bad idea to drive through a big horde, that's an obvious error players will learn to avoid :)

Then you have some poor timing, as it follows immediately after you state that the game, in Survival mode, is far too hard and you want it changed. It then looks like you're trying to change the topic from "I can't survive" to "NPCs and cars just won't work."

First, i please quote where i said i want anything. I've said that i think it is a bit much. I'm sorry if i came across as just whining to you, that was never my intention,  i'm trying my best to give constructive feedback from my experience and point of view. I've thought that is the point of this iwbums branch.

Second, it makes alot of sense to keep planned features in mind when working on balancing the game, otherwise you might run into more problems and extra work later. So i had to wonder and ask how the dev's think this new spawn number will work out with these mentioned planned features, as i did not see it work to well with my short experience.

Third, if you have a different opinion, you can state so friendly without becoming rude. I'm not sure what i did to annoy you so much that you have to resolve to rudeness, maybe i'm posting to much or my opinion is to strong or i don't know. In any case you can stay friendly.

Also how do you intend to balance that with cars and npc's? You might aswell forget about them entirely, npc's won't stay alive, except if you make them cheat, and cars... well we all know it is a bad idea to drive a car through zombie infested new york city :P.

Good question. The intent of NPCs was to be able to survive the "8 months later"-Scenario for a good duration of time so I don't expect this to be a big bump in the road, really.

You have to keep in mind they are not always actually moving around like a player but - if outside of a player's streaming area - are simulated on a more abstract layer as part of the meta game. This also helps to keep a particular character alive for however the game deems him useful. Maybe someone you backstabbed. Or someone who backstabbed you, but you decided to spare him. Many more reasons.

Regarding cars, it's been mentioned that they are already actually functional. Currently, there's just a technical limitation with them being properly streamed, most notably in MP.

This is currently being worked on, possibly with the help of a third party in conjunction with proper Steam support.

As for it being a bad idea to drive through a big horde, that's an obvious error players will learn to avoid :)

Thank you very much for taking the time to clear that up :).

Survived for 24 dayz in Build 32 ! I like this Build very much, it´s like Robert said, hard but not impossible to survive... i even had a little farm next to the church, but i died cause i was searching for nails to build more stuff (although i had a barricaded house and shed) and killed 298 Zombies on high (not extreme) settings with 20% respawn rate > one week with many (standard) zombies and rare loot (misc,weapons,food) and electricity and water (up to 2 month). Daytime was 30 minutes and XP-mulitplier x2.0. Try this settings, it worked out for me, and i have (only) a playtime of 130hours. Thanks Developers for this awesome game (and hello to everybody, cause this is my first post here).

Survived for 24 dayz in Build 32 ! I like this Build very much, it´s like Robert said, hard but not impossible to survive... i even had a little farm next to the church, but i died cause i was searching for nails to build more stuff (although i had a barricaded house and shed) and killed 298 Zombies on high (not extreme) settings with 20% respawn rate > one week with many (standard) zombies and rare loot (misc,weapons,food) and electricity and water (up to 2 month). Daytime was 30 minutes and XP-mulitplier x2.0. Try this settings, it worked out for me, and i have (only) a playtime of 130hours. Thanks Developers for this awesome game (and hello to everybody, cause this is my first post here).

ONLY 130 hours, whaaaaat. You're already pretty much a veteran, I assume :D

Difficulty changes aside (Which are always valid - just because some people find it 'manageable' doesn't mean that's how difficult the main game mode should necessarily be. The main point is always fun, and having one where you cant go outside your starting house without having to run through the whole town to eventually escape the mass of zombies that inevitably see you isn't fun) I'd like to say that the tutorial is great. I know people have a hard time getting the basics down, and I think it did a good job of getting those across.

I'm watching a stream, a guy manage to do lot of stuff, he still survive, started to build his safehouse...

It's possible, he just avoid doing stupid stuff (well, he did used his shotgun.. regretted it, but managed to get out alive, only scratched once :D)

Difficulty changes aside (Which are always valid - just because some people find it 'manageable' doesn't mean that's how difficult the main game mode should necessarily be. The main point is always fun, and having one where you cant go outside your starting house without having to run through the whole town to eventually escape the mass of zombies that inevitably see you isn't fun) I'd like to say that the tutorial is great. I know people have a hard time getting the basics down, and I think it did a good job of getting those across.

How valid is it if only a small number of people find it unmanageable, instead of the majority, as you portray?

They can have fun in sandbox if Survival's harder difficulty is unfun. (But we'll see what EasyPickin's changes brings.)

Make the zombies have regular human strength.

With a real crowd of people, if it were properly made, they could not destroy a log wall by pounding on it( or as the animation states, headbutting it) Instead, they could never think of it. Could not push it over if it is tied together like it shows.
So basically make walls indestructable to zombies.

A real human can't get through a 2 inch wooden wall with no tools.

At all.
period.
They can make a prison cell out of wood and a person can't just headbutt their way out (unless you consider death a way out, in which case you can headbutt your way out.) 

I know it isn't balanced.
But real life isn't either.

The US having the atom bomb against japan wasn't balanced. It WAS unfair. 

Why can't it ever be unfair in OUR way.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but there's probably only a tiny fraction of the playerbase posting here anyway, and we could argue all day about if it's good now or if it needs adjustment.

I guess there will be alot more feedback once it is released.

I never thought I'd see the day that the TIS forums stamped on any dissenting opinion and mocked the holders of those opinions, but first RJ implies that anyone who can't handle the current IWBUMS Z numbers is 'stupid', then Enigma once again states that any opinion that disagrees is 'invalid'.

Since dissenting opinions aren't listened to anyway, I give up trying to feedback into what is an awesome game, hope the congratulatory circle-jerk feels worthwhile...

As one of the people who was, a month ago, whinging about the game turning into Farmville after the first week or so and also one of the people who is now whinging about there being too many zombies I just want to say this:

Thank you devs. I know this is tough. Assholes like me will never be satisfied, but we do appreciate the huge amount of work you are putting into this and your sincere desire to get it right, no matter what it takes and to do something genuinely impossible - make people like me happy :P

I'm gonna jump back in and see if I've got what it takes to survive for ooh, say, a week. Right now, I'd be damn satisfied with a week :)

but first RJ implies that anyone who can't handle the current IWBUMS Z numbers is 'stupid'

I just literally did a word search for "stupid" and the only post I found was RJ saying that "a man survived avoiding doing 'stupid' stuff." He never said that whoever can't handle the current IWBUMS is stupid, where did that come from? You can write down drinking bleach, breaking windows and staying in home during alarm to 'stupid stuff', but it isn't the same as calling people stupid.

Also, Easy Pickins said that he's already working on addressing the issue with high zombie distribution, I'd hardly call that "not listening to dissenting opinions". Even Lemmy has said that feedback was rather positive so far but they'll keep looking into it to reach a consensus. It's all up in this thread, just look harder dude.

I never thought I'd see the day that the TIS forums stamped on any dissenting opinion and mocked the holders of those opinions, but first RJ implies that anyone who can't handle the current IWBUMS Z numbers is 'stupid', then Enigma once again states that any opinion that disagrees is 'invalid'.

Since dissenting opinions aren't listened to anyway, I give up trying to feedback into what is an awesome game, hope the congratulatory circle-jerk feels worthwhile...

You're somewhat reading things in here not being said. None of the devs, nor mods are trying to stamp on your opinions, you're more than welcome to express them. Being said, this is a game designed with the express aim of Trying To Kill You Lots. It says so every time you start a run! The devs are trying to balance it right, but this *is* the alpha build of the alpha. Having a go at them is not constructive.

Woah, slow down a bit, that's quite out of proportion :D

First, RJ posted that he'd like to wait for more feedback than just three people saying the numbers are making it a bit too hard. It's valid feedback but something we have to see in a bigger picture. We can't adjust them instantly because three people said so, especially after three days of the build being out and 2 days of the fix being applied. Not once has he said someone is stupid, so I assume you've misinterpreted his post.

EnigmaGrey didn't say nor demonstrate that someone's opinion is invalid if it is the opposite of his thoughts, either. He merely underlined that it is not yet a valid claim if it has been reported by a small ammount of people, though in his typically grumpy manner. :P

We will just wait for more feedback and then adjust where need be. We need your feedback. It's not in our interest to comment on everyone's opinion and we won't. It's just that we always had people liking the numbers and people disliking the numbers of zombies. We'll find a middle ground, but for that we are waiting for more feedback on this.

I'm sorry if this causes you to not be willing to provide us with further feedback but I hope you can see it's not as harsh as you make it out to be, here.

To keep this thread free of any more unnecessary discussion about who and how, please start a PM thread with the concerned parties if it is in your interest. Off-topic posts will be removed from this thread from this point onward, so we don't have to weed through three pages of offtopic. :)

The thing i see that proves the point null of "begin too hard", is that there are people surviving now, i seen a twitch stream of a guy who is at day 22 i think, Robert already made a new record for himself, and other people on reddit has some threads about with positive feedback, i even manage to survive 16 days now but died by greediness.

I think that people surviving the game are proof that is manageable, you really need to adapt and change your whole mindset you had from previous builds now.

Before for me PZ was Farmville with a few zombies here and there, my plan of action always was:

>loot 5 houses worth of food, get a big duffebag

>go to any house in the surbs

>leave my stuff there

>dont bother to barricade, at most put sheets over the windows

>go downtown, loot trowel and whatever i need

>go home and start farming

Always while running in and out like nothing has happen, the small groups of zombies (3-6) were never a problem.

My first try at this build doing my plan of action went like this:

>loot the first house, found a big duffebag

>go outside running

>a small cluster of zombies start following me

>get inside the other house

>loot food and some stuff

>door and windows start breaking

>the small cluster sound made about 20 zombies come my way

>run the hell out of there, more zombies coming my way

>get to the church, plan to do a farm in the graveyard since that was my favorite spot to make a farm

>sleep on the chair

>wake up to open a door and see a horde inside the church with broken windows and doors

>die on the spot

From there on i learn that i have to play it more carefully now, cant draw the horde to a house i am going to sleep, need to sneak everywhere, must stay WAY the fuck off from town because if you aren't, a meta sound will screw you over.

All of this reminds me when PZ came out and there were videos about how to survive your first day/week. (the pre-alpha build)

When people shared tactics of how to survive the first week, always going to the apartments building, killing zombies with an axe and using the shotgun on the park.

Now we have way more options to survive and we have a real cause to have videos like that, not like the other builds where people were making "How to survive Project Zomboid" with small groups of 5 zombies at most in the street.

Or, just hear me out, you could move away from the massive hordes of zombies and find a quieter spot, rather than ask for the game to give you a grace period?Running is always an option.

The cabin in the woods with the well is my favourite retreat. It does get boring without many zombies though. Don't get lost on your way there though.

I can't help feeling most zombie number feedback has been pretty positive. Any other views on this?

Will go with consensus though :)

Love the new zombie numbers it makes Survival hard again. Take that with a grain of salt from a player with 600+ hours of gameplay so of course i think its at a good level..But if you want to lower the numbers thats cool to. I can always sandbox to make the numbers larger. I do think the gap between beginner mode and survival is a bit to much.

The way i look at progression in the game is start in Beginner then move to survival and lastly sand box to make it even harder.

Right now you have to go beginner then sandbox for a few games to slowly turn up the settings then to Survival and lastly back to sandbox to go beyond.

Just my 2 cents.

Make the zombies have regular human strength.

With a real crowd of people, if it were properly made, they could not destroy a log wall by pounding on it( or as the animation states, headbutting it) Instead, they could never think of it. Could not push it over if it is tied together like it shows.

So basically make walls indestructable to zombies.

A real human can't get through a 2 inch wooden wall with no tools.

At all.

period.

They can make a prison cell out of wood and a person can't just headbutt their way out (unless you consider death a way out, in which case you can headbutt your way out.)

I know it isn't balanced.

But real life isn't either.

The US having the atom bomb against japan wasn't balanced. It WAS unfair.

Why can't it ever be unfair in OUR way.

Because that'd be boring as hell. If you want it to be unfair go to sandbox and set the zombies to pathetic settings. The devs intention is to try and kill us after all.

Guys how about solve that zombie spawn in that way:

the rate we have now (build 32) is 100%

When you start a new game zombies spawn on 60-70% but within a week they will reach 100%.

So those that complain will have easy start but after a week when you go looting new areas the zombie rate will be same as it is right now.

Guys how about solve that zombie spawn in that way:

the rate we have now (build 32) is 100%

When you start a new game zombies spawn on 60-70% but within a week they will reach 100%.

So those that complain will have easy start but after a week when you go looting new areas the zombie rate will be same as it is right now.

Feels like the You Have One Day challenge, but now you have one week challenge?

Then surviving a week would be not any accomplishment?