RELEASED Build 32

EasyPickins

Can't you just up the zombie count in sandbox mode?

I'm not sure who you're referring to, but if you're talking to the people giving feedback about the zombie count, it's important that Survival mode (aka "the way it's meant to be played) is correctly balanced, as it's... well... the way it's meant to be played. Sandbox is great for people who want to play with some element different, but balancing Survival is still a primary goal.

Well yes, but how do you define balanced in this case? The experience of fun or frustration is different for people. :D

I can't help feeling most zombie number feedback has been pretty positive. Any other views on this?

Will go with consensus though :)

As i see it there are people who love it and people who dislike it, Personally i've found it a bit much, but 31 was probably a bit low, so maybe find some healthy middle ground?

But that is just my opinion.

In the end it's really up to how you want your game to be like.

Can't you just up the zombie count in sandbox mode?

I'm not sure who you're referring to, but if you're talking to the people giving feedback about the zombie count, it's important that Survival mode (aka "the way it's meant to be played) is correctly balanced, as it's... well... the way it's meant to be played. Sandbox is great for people who want to play with some element different, but balancing Survival is still a primary goal.

Well yes, but how do you define balanced in this case? The experience of fun or frustration is different for people. :D

That's the point- discussion like this is very helpful for determining what is most balanced for most people, and for tuning the challenge to the levels the devs want it. If we just point everyone at sandbox instead of discussing it, that doesn't help the devs determine the 'best' place for difficulty at all.

ZombiePopulationChange.png

The first picture is Build 31 numbers, the bug I mentioned caused the no-zombie black areas you see.

The second picture is Build 32 numbers, no more black areas where the spawn-map said there should be some zombies.

The third picture is the reduced numbers I'm considering, where there are at least a few zombies in the black areas.  The numbers are higher than Build 31, a bit less than Build 32.  Plus there's some randomness to the number (as always) so your number may be higher / lower.

Take my opinion with a grain of salt as I am not a tech guru, but I'd like to vote in favor of something inbetween picture two and picture three, leaning heavily towards picture two. Picture three seem to have a lot of open, zombieless areas where you would almost never meet more than two-three zombies unless you venture out further into the city. Two player-loaded areas worth of empty areas in the town that's considered having the most zombie population just seems like a bad deal to me. :P

I can't help feeling most zombie number feedback has been pretty positive. Any other views on this?

Will go with consensus though :)

For what is worth, it really does give the old feel of nostalgia.

Waking up in your base, open the curtains, and you see a big horde just roaming around the street in front of you.

Feels great to see that number of zombies in the game, i been attacked 3 times over the course of a week, finally i feel like barricading is a MUST to be able to sustain a attack of zombies.

Had  a great experience, some meta sound happen way north at dusk, went to my safehouse after stealing from my neighbors house, cant take the main road back so i go jumping from backyard to backyard until i reach my home.

The streets were clear with a few zombies here and there moving (like 7 in total), after a few minutes however, the i start to hear a lot of moaning, there is a MASSIVE horde coming from the main road from downtown West Point going to the farm house, as soon as i close the curtains i see a few zombies coming my way, one of them bang the door, then more banging starts, the sound from the bangs in the door draws a good portion of zombies from the horde to my house, i take whatever i can and go into the backyard and into the neighbor house, i sleep there and next morning i see all the zombies spread out in my safehouse with a broken door and broken windows, i make a Molotov and burn down the infested house, after that i realize is my third day and i almost died.

That is amazing, it made me value that day because i survived it, lost my gear but i made it though it.

That isnt what you wanted? Survival mode begin hard as hell on earth and make you value each day you are alive?

Also on my opnion on EasyPickins pictures, i like the second one more, the third one comes close to it, but has a LOT of black area near the houses i guess, i would expect it the other way around, a concentrated red dot on the middle, and spreading out thought the main roads, and the forest begin more black areas than zombies.

I beg you, please don't change it at all, don't lower the amount back to 31, i will knee before you if necessarily, don't make the game easy again, i don't want this game to be Sims 2.0 With a few groups of zombies edition.

So, is it me, or are the zombies not always affected by knockback?  I had a stout character, and I had several zombies just plow on through my golf club swing...making me be killed by 4 zombies.

Curious if anyone else is having this issue

Gold Club = Worst weapon in the game. (I can kill more zombies with a butter knife!)

So, is it me, or are the zombies not always affected by knockback?  I had a stout character, and I had several zombies just plow on through my golf club swing...making me be killed by 4 zombies.

Curious if anyone else is having this issue

Hmm i might have had something similiar happen, some zombie went straight at me biting me, always ignoring my pushing. It wouldn't react at all to it.

Hmm i might have had something similiar happen, some zombie went straight at me biting me, always ignoring my pushing. It wouldn't react at all to it.

This was an issue back in Build 31, some zombies don't react to pushing (Might have something to do with them being too close to the character when pushing them) Had it happen a few times but never died because of it so I kept forgetting about it.

As far as the "Zombies don't react to pushing", just noticed something similar myself, except it was when swinging a bat - I could hear the sound of it connecting, but the zombie just ignored it and walked through the hit. I could then push it back with the bat, but same thing kept happening...

As far as the Zombie numbers, I'm really enjoying it so far! Definitely much harder, but it does mean that you need to change your tactics, and be even more careful, (not a bad thing IMHO), nice to have them more of a constant danger...

I'm not sure about the new numbers. Perhaps I just suck but in my 8-or-so IWBUMS playthroughs so far I've barely been able to leave home without MAJOR horde drama. I know a lot of people are saying that means I ought to change my tactics but... to what exactly? I can't sneak by ALL of them. If I kill even a couple of stragglers then there's every chance I'll trigger a huge chain reaction. Most of the time I end up trying to be all sneaky and shit but ultimately having to run like fuck, at which point I end up with a colossal horde chasing me and die. I agree with a lot of people that the new numbers are fun, for a while, but when even raiding the house down the street is virtually impossible, regardless of strategy, the game gets a bit static.

I'm not sure about the new numbers. Perhaps I just suck but in my 8-or-so IWBUMS playthroughs so far I've barely been able to leave home without MAJOR horde drama. I know a lot of people are saying that means I ought to change my tactics but... to what exactly? I can't sneak by ALL of them. If I kill even a couple of stragglers then there's every chance I'll trigger a huge chain reaction. Most of the time I end up trying to be all sneaky and shit but ultimately having to run like fuck, at which point I end up with a colossal horde chasing me and die. I agree with a lot of people that the new numbers are fun, for a while, but when even raiding the house down the street is virtually impossible, regardless of strategy, the game gets a bit static.

Get a character build that fits with your tactics, if you want to sneak than Burglar profession and Inconspicuous trait should help immensely with sneaking and avoiding zombies between looting houses while zombies in houses you should be able to take out with a stabbing weapon easily.

The key is having a character to go along with how you play, I usually go for melee combat builds, it's fairly easy to kill zombies with Baseball Bats if you can lure them to you one or three at a time.

If the number of zombies i really too high you could always try sandbox with low zombie count, that's what I did when I started playing until I learned to handle multiple zombies at a time. But I see how default zombie count might be somewhat overwhelming to newer players.

I know how you feel, but is really manageable, you learn how to adapt really quick.

For me is always taking the back exit of every building possible, never go to the main roads, jump across the high walls covering backyards.

In case you want to loot a store, i found a good strategy is lure them with Q, lure them as far as possible keeping a eye out for them and a possible horde in front of you, then you must hit a Forest sooner or later, travel between the woods and go back to the store, a few zombies will be there, sneak if you can, if you cant however, you will have to rush the store, loot what you can and get the hell out.

Right now i have supplies for at least 6 days, right now i am looking for a generator for the fridge since electricity will go away soon.

You need to decide how are you going to play the game.

Edit:

I just died and i loved every second of it.

A alarm went off while trying to get some canned food and water, i went full panic mode and hid in the bathroom (normal tactic i used to use prior build 32)

fYUnAcs.jpg

I waited out a bit like i always do, waiting for them to leave or something, i though to myself there were going to be 10 zombies at most inside the house since that was the amount of zombies i saw earlier.

Then i found myself trapped in this:

Q75wkUa.jpg

This feels amazing, it felt fair because it was on my part and choice that led me to death, i love it. :wub:

As far as the "Zombies don't react to pushing", just noticed something similar myself, except it was when swinging a bat - I could hear the sound of it connecting, but the zombie just ignored it and walked through the hit. I could then push it back with the bat, but same thing kept happening...

I am having this occur as well; my stout, baseball playing fireman encountered several knockback proof zombies in his short life. They were unaffected at all melee ranges by shoves or bat/hammer swings. Is this a bug or a feature?

I am having this occur as well; my stout, baseball playing fireman encountered several knockback proof zombies in his short life. They were unaffected at all melee ranges by shoves or bat/hammer swings. Is this a bug or a feature?

Would definitely have to be a bug I'd imagine...

Would definitely have to be a bug I'd imagine...

I've noticed this as well, but so far its only when I am showing exhaustion.  Wasn't there a dev blurb about exhaustion/tiredness causing attacks to be less effective?

Is it in the tracker yet?

I noticed this as well, but realized it always occurred when I was not sufficiently charging my attacks. I was LMB too quickly which led to this happening. When I take the time to properly charge my attacks, this never happened.

I think the dev team at TIS finally found a way to punish LMB spammers.

EDIT: I do not have stout (seeing if my character will acquire it over time) and I was using a hammer with zero guard skill.

Do i have to reiterate so damn much lol?

How do i dismantle shit?

Screwdriver + item = Dismantle

Well sheit.

The one time i can not find a screwdriver.

Heading into downtown muldraugh to that car workshop to try and find a screwdriver, if not there, mccoy.

Why the fuck do you devs have to be so cryptic on the recipies to these new items?

Why not show us all the recipies instead of making us wait for those who update the wiki? (Who seem to be taking their sweet ass time)

I need to make a noisemaker.

Please tell me the crafting recipie.

I noticed this as well, but realized it always occurred when I was not sufficiently charging my attacks. I was LMB too quickly which led to this happening. When I take the time to properly charge my attacks, this never happened.

I think the dev team at TIS finally found a way to punish LMB spammers.

EDIT: I do not have stout (seeing if my character will acquire it over time) and I was using a hammer with zero guard skill.

No, definitely was charging attacks in my particular run. Had the game saved while the zombie was still alive, so loaded it up, but this time attacks were fine...Very odd, will see if I can replicate and take note if my character is tired or panicked etc....