Wells, Shovels, and Basements?

Wells seem like a sustainable source of water in-game in the long-term. Which got me wondering... why no shovels.... not a trowel but a shovel. This connects with my why are there no basements in the game but it just seems like it isn't the end of civilization unless you have a hole to dig and fall into...

http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/192-commonly-suggested-suggestions-read-before-posting-unofficial/

[y] - This is confirmed 'Yes' from the development team. This is something the definitely want to see in the game, but this does not constitute a guarantee. Please don't post about it unless you have something new or relevant to add.

[y]    Sewers and basements

Such helpful answers...

Wells are in the game already however they are extremely rare (two exist).

Where at? Can you give coordinates on this map perhaps? Is it usable?

http://pzmap.crash-override.net/

You know so I can go gaze at it... and perhaps fall down it.

I can't confirm this, but I think I heard a dev say that basements and tunnels are not possible with the current level system unfortunately. :cry:

1d75bb0932e2b3af52140ba4f010a3ba.jpg

Actually Czar seems to indicate it will come eventually... eventually... yes...

shovels in the game are referred to as Spades, and you have to have one to fill up the dirt, sand and gravel bags

Maybe I am mistaken but I understood it as a spade is the kind of shovel shape, not the size? So perhaps it should be renamed to trowel... unless that is way too exacting I more than understand.

http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/192-commonly-suggested-suggestions-read-before-posting-unofficial/

[y] - This is confirmed 'Yes' from the development team. This is something the definitely want to see in the game, but this does not constitute a guarantee. Please don't post about it unless you have something new or relevant to add.

Wow! That should be pinned to the top. *glances over* Well it should be in bold too!

Also... mine also mentions shovels! The bigger variety... yeah that sounds like a solid argument...

trowels are for digging to get worms and for gardening.

spades are for filling the 3 bags i mentioned before.

i said nothing about size or shape, but IRL a trowel is much smaller than a shovel/spade

no need to start splitting hairs on this

trowels are for digging to get worms and for gardening.

spades are for filling the 3 bags i mentioned before.

i said nothing about size or shape, but IRL a trowel is much smaller than a shovel/spade

no need to start splitting hairs on this

http://pzwiki.net/wiki/Spade

ooh... I misunderstood... well then... I think that ends this question...

Someone hit the lights on the way out.

I think digging your own well for your safe house should be considered.  Not very plausible in single player, but in MP that would be relatively easy, just time consuming.  The easiest way to make a well is to start digging a hole, then line it with bricks or stones.  Then you dig under the stones to let them sink down with the well.  As they get lower, you add more bricks or stones on top of them.  That way the well doesn't cave in on the digging team.  I saw Amish farmers dig out a well in a weekend on a trip out to the country once.

I think digging your own well for your safe house should be considered.  Not very plausible in single player, but in MP that would be relatively easy, just time consuming.  The easiest way to make a well is to start digging a hole, then line it with bricks or stones.  Then you dig under the stones to let them sink down with the well.  As they get lower, you add more bricks or stones on top of them.  That way the well doesn't cave in on the digging team.  I saw Amish farmers dig out a well in a weekend on a trip out to the country once.

YASD: Forgot to bring a rope, starved to death at the bottom of a hole I dug.

Such helpful answers...

Wells are in the game already however they are extremely rare (two exist).

Where at? Can you give coordinates on this map perhaps? Is it usable?

http://pzmap.crash-override.net/

You know so I can go gaze at it... and perhaps fall down it.

I can't confirm this, but I think I heard a dev say that basements and tunnels are not possible with the current level system unfortunately. :cry:

1d75bb0932e2b3af52140ba4f010a3ba.jpg

Actually Czar seems to indicate it will come eventually... eventually... yes...

shovels in the game are referred to as Spades, and you have to have one to fill up the dirt, sand and gravel bags

Maybe I am mistaken but I understood it as a spade is the kind of shovel shape, not the size? So perhaps it should be renamed to trowel... unless that is way too exacting I more than understand.

Wow! That should be pinned to the top. *glances over* Well it should be in bold too!

Also... mine also mentions shovels! The bigger variety... yeah that sounds like a solid argument...

I don't know where but yes they are usable (you can look it up).

one well is at 9661x8778 its next to the "cabin in the western woods"

second well is at 8657x8807 next to the "farm to the west"

i don't know much about digging wells but imo that's to much work for a single person to do. i would how ever like to see more water sources around that are not "on the grid" so people who don't have carpentry level 4 by day 14 are not screwed if they don't spend all their time getting water.

Basements just need to come before an update on the map so they don't need to revamp the entire town. Wells do exist as said before by other people. Spades or shovels exist but need more uses besides filling bags. Like digging little traps or as a decent weapon of sorts.

Spades are a very decent weapon.

Veeeery decent.

Very decent.

Basements just need to come before an update on the map so they don't need to revamp the entire town. Wells do exist as said before by other people. Spades or shovels exist but need more uses besides filling bags. Like digging little traps or as a decent weapon of sorts.

Veeeery decent.

Very decent.

You know I've found that same thing out... I hate to use my only spade up though.

On the subject of digging wells, I think that most people would not have the knowledge to dig a well. Honestly, who can tell me where the water tables are in Kentucky? How far would they have to dig? Is the water potable or is it run off from a nuclear reactor? Etc.

Veeeery decent.

Very decent.

You know I've found that same thing out... I hate to use my only spade up though.

On the subject of digging wells, I think that most people would not have the knowledge to dig a well. Honestly, who can tell me where the water tables are in Kentucky? How far would they have to dig? Is the water potable or is it run off from a nuclear reactor? Etc.

well i cant say how deep it is but the only thing that may contaminate it is a coal plant near Louisville but that's it.I don't see the water table being high enough to dig without some sort of machines. I would say its a good hundred feet below or so. Its just a rough estimation but still its to far to dig with shovels and picks. It says it higher than normal so it may rise up to around a few hundred feet but i doubt it. 

Veeeery decent.

Very decent.

also, i didn't see it to be very effective at all in game. It took a good 5-6 hits for a single kill. My regular bat takes only 2-3 and possibly a smash on the ground. Still i will take your word for it.

Wells seem like a sustainable source of water in-game in the long-term. Which got me wondering... why no shovels.... not a trowel but a shovel. This connects with my why are there no basements in the game but it just seems like it isn't the end of civilization unless you have a hole to dig and fall into...

Shovels are planned for burying people pretty sure. 

Shovels are planned for burying people pretty sure. 

possibly but as usual no ETA or confirmations. I think, right? Said that at a good time?

Well, since there are already wells in-game, and they are traditional rope-and-bucket wells, not modern pump wells, I would say the water table can't be that low.  Plus, who built the wells that are already there?  The kind of wells in game are usually hand dug, since drills can't make a hole that wide, and earth-movers can't dig straight down more than a few feet.  The well for the cabin in the woods doesn't look like it cost a lot to build, especially for some hermit living out there. 

The simplest well is just a really deep hole, the consequence of improperly strengthening the sides of the hole is a cave-in and death.  Since when does PZ skimp on ways for people to die? :evil: