Claim Safehouse!

RobertJohnson

You could simply put a paper note on the ground, outside near the house and it'll does it?

The safehouse is not just the building but a bit of outside too, so you can drop something, other people will see it but not be able to take it.

Very true, disregard that post. Haha. I'll have to mess around with v32 when it arrives until I can really give good feedback.

If you add a feature that only turns this stuff on when you're offline, I'm all for it, but for realism sakes, I'd keep it off for the most part.

I'll keep the trespass thing off, so you'd have to barricade your house (maybe if you have a door to lock, make it impossible to pick (if you had the lockpicking mod), and windows wouldn't have the unbarricade option if you're offline), but the loot, fire, and respawn I'd keep on true. Again, only when the player is offline. If you're online, then you could return to your house being looted, burned, or attacked.

This sounds REALLY cool.

Maybe a system that allows an admin to set safehouses for players? This could alleviate the new players claiming thing, and could also be an incentive for players to donate to a server.

Also, this will help immensely with bandit control! I can't wait.

Thanks for all the continued work devs, but this seems to be quite a bold choice. This will split your player base into claim-house-servers, and non-claim-house-servers. PVP enabled or disabled servers naturally cause this split already and this option will create another. Is more choice really the wisest choice? Especially considering the emphasis on realism the game has, which goes out the "indestructible" window with this one. 

If you add a feature that only turns this stuff on when you're offline, I'm all for it, but for realism sakes, I'd keep it off for the most part.

I'll keep the trespass thing off, so you'd have to barricade your house (maybe if you have a door to lock, make it impossible to pick (if you had the lockpicking mod), and windows wouldn't have the unbarricade option if you're offline), but the loot, fire, and respawn I'd keep on true. Again, only when the player is offline. If you're online, then you could return to your house being looted, burned, or attacked.

Yeah, an option to safe the Safehouse only when the player is OFFLINE would be awesome.

Then your safehouse would be protected for a certain timespan whe you go offline.

(With this option it could be enabled on our server to prevent offline robbery.)

But even barricade/lock doors will tak roughly 10min for someone to enter the safehouse and then loot it...

Tons of people have trouble playing MP because of that, maybe not you, but you're free to not play on safehouse servers :)

Well if claming the house will just make all walls, baricades etc undestructable that will work. If you lock and baricade your house other players wont be able to destroy door -> your safe. You leave your door open -> your fault but then  again if you keep your stuff in locked crates (padlocks) they cant destroy or open them so loot will be safe ( no need for no-loot option).

The only concerns i have is that in last build you spend a lot of time cooding keys and padlocks and now no one will use them coz you can just claim house to make it 100% safe.

IMO keeping just protection vs fire and destroying parts of safehouse (doors, windows etc) will keep the realism of the game on high lvl and make keys and padlocks usefull (right now they useless in MP coz griefers will just destroy door or you crate to get the loot).

I hope i dont sount like douchebag thats trying to force hes idea :D

actually you don't even need a sledgehammer to destroy locked crates, an axe or a hammer can do it without too much effort.

we really need this imo, since it's up to the server. i'm tired of the girefers, you can't have a single pve server without people acting the wrong way, and this way it's up to the admin to set rules.

since i can't try it right now, may you tell me what happens if zombies breaks the door? will the house still be unlootable? or even untrespassable? and i heard that there is a bug that allows you to shoot through windows (couldn't try it in this build, so it may be gone and in that case, my bad and i'm sorry). in case that's true, is it exploitable to kill people hiding inside safehouses?

We have the following problem on our Win2008 Server:

I claim a safehouse, I add another player to the safehouse. The other player can't walk in the entire house just a bit on the entrance (If he is not added to the safehouse he can't get close to the house, so this option works). If I disable the trespass option, he can't use things like getting water and if he trys to loot something the inventory window closes automatically once he trys to loot.

We tried it in admin safehouse mode only and player safehouse mode only, also disabled/enabled all security options, etc.

However, the main problem is that the server starts to lag if a the "added to safehouse" player is near the house or in the house and the console spams "got packet from unknown connection". The ping for every player on the server is going up until they get kicked or when the "kick for ping" option is disabled the ping just keeps going higher and higher and the concole spam keeps going on. (When the player trying to loot/enter savehouse disconnects, the ping goes down and the console spam stops.)

We have the following problem on our Win2008 Server:

I claim a safehouse, I add another player to the safehouse. The other player can't walk in the entire house just a bit on the entrance (If he is not added to the safehouse he can't get close to the house, so this option works). If I disable the trespass option, he can't use things like getting water and if he trys to loot something the inventory window closes automatically once he trys to loot.

We tried it in admin safehouse mode only and player safehouse mode only, also disabled/enabled all security options, etc.

However, the main problem is that the server starts to lag if a the "added to safehouse" player is near the house or in the house and the console spams "got packet from unknown connection". The ping for every player on the server is going up until they get kicked or when the "kick for ping" option is disabled the ping just keeps going higher and higher and the concole spam keeps going on. (When the player trying to loot/enter savehouse disconnects, the ping goes down and the console spam stops.)

hello jester, were you using a brand new map or a "save state" of the server you had in v31.13? we're experiencing the same lag everytime something about the safehouse system is used (claim and release mostly), we already excluded that it could be a custom map issue since it happened in muldraugh too

• 4 weeks later...

@BlastedTaco, @RobertJohnson,

I agree 100% with taco on his minor adjustment to your claiming of safehouses. When online it should be your job to defend your base against players, and when you're offline, it should be there for you when you get back without being torched to the ground. This also means people will have to actually face their enemies online rather than hitting them while they're offline, and not owning it. Plus, it only makes sense to lock and trap your base if you're leaving it with nobody there anyways (making use of locks, keys, AND traps ;) awesome addition though, not knocking it, just agreeing with taco on how to best enhance this idea to not break immersion (which is awesome in this game btw)

p.s. I literally just made an acct on this site to tell you I agree with taco's standpoint <3 Keep up the awesome job!

@BlastedTaco, @RobertJohnson,

I agree 100% with taco on his minor adjustment to your claiming of safehouses. When online it should be your job to defend your base against players, and when you're offline, it should be there for you when you get back without being torched to the ground. This also means people will have to actually face their enemies online rather than hitting them while they're offline, and not owning it. Plus, it only makes sense to lock and trap your base if you're leaving it with nobody there anyways (making use of locks, keys, AND traps ;) awesome addition though, not knocking it, just agreeing with taco on how to best enhance this idea to not break immersion (which is awesome in this game btw)

p.s. I literally just made an acct on this site to tell you I agree with taco's standpoint <3 Keep up the awesome job!

I really love this idea

A few suggestions for this system:

• Let the admin block certain buildings from being claimed
  • db-entry for who is allowed to claim a safehouse, so that the admin has to unlock a player before he can claim a house
*Jumps in*

-Let us set the maximum number of tiles claimable

-Visual indicator of the boundary of a safehouse for both the owner and other players

• 4 weeks later...

How does the SafeHouseRemovalTime (default 144): If a safehouse is not visited during this time (in day) it'll be released of his safehouse status feature work? whats the max value? does restarting the server clear claimed safehouses? I havent been logged out more than 24hrs but i rebooted my server in the meantime. now my house was unclaimed

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 15 man server that is full. I have 3 admins and the claim house settings set for players and admins true. No one else is able to claim houses but admins. Anyone else having this issue?

Yes!  I am having the same problem.   Nobody is able to claim safehouses even with the value set to TRUE.  I wonder if setting both Player and Admin can claim safehouse to true is causing this? 

I tried several gamerserver providers and still having the same issue.

Any suggestions? 

Everything else works, just nobody can claim a safehouse.

• 1 month later...

- SafeHouseRemovalTime (default 144): If a safehouse is not visited during this time (in day) it'll be released of his safehouse status

- SafehouseDaySurvivedToClaim: if > 0 then only player that have survived this number are allowed to claim safehouse.

is this in game days or real days (ie 24 hours)? makes a bit of difference.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, an option to safe the Safehouse only when the player is OFFLINE would be awesome.

Then your safehouse would be protected for a certain timespan whe you go offline.

(With this option it could be enabled on our server to prevent offline robbery.)

Seconding this. There should definitely be a variable such as safehouseOfflineOnly that makes it so that the safehouse boundaries only apply when the boss of the safehouse is offline, as I feel this setting is very useful for preventing your base from being broken into while offline - But online, it serves as an OP protection against any sort of PVP looting.

• 5 months later...

This might be dead but i thought it might happen to someone:

if you add a player to your safehouse before he claims his own, he wont be able to claim one. 

Removing him from your safehouse will make it possible for him to claim a safehouse again. (33.20)