Claim Safehouse!

RobertJohnson

First of all, to be clear, this is not the ultimate anti-grief system and it's really non-RP, but it should help some servers. I'm trying to do my best to avoid any abuse of this system, so be warned I could remove this while I'm fixing it if I see too much abuse.

A better anti-grief system will come in time, but for now this is a solution servers can use.

Multiplayer thing only:

In build 32 you'll be able to claim a safehouse, making other players not able to walk in it, destroy it (fire, explosion...) or loot it.
It's a server option, and off by default.

Players can claim a safehouse - only existing buildings for now - and with a max size (200 tiles max for now, this allows you to take almost every house but not the warehouse, the mall, etc.), you can't also claim a spawn point house as a safehouse neither if there's people or zombies inside or really near the house you try to claim.
The first who claim the house is the boss of it, he can then allow other players to come in.

• Server options:

PlayerSafehouse and AdminSafehouse.
- PlayerSafehouse: meaning any players can claim a safehouse, as said previously, this is limited to the size of a building, and only up to 1 safehouse per player. I may also add that players who are allowed into one safehouse can't claim others to limit this, we'll see how it goes (prob another server option).

- AdminSafehouse: if true, only the admin of the server will be able to claim safehouses and add players into it.

So to be clear, if none of them are enabled, you won't be allow to claim safehouse.

The others.

- SafehouseAllowTrepass (default true): If true, allow people to walk into others people safehouse (but not loot it)
- SafehouseAllowFire (default true): If true, allow fire to spread/burn wall in safehouses
- SafehouseAllowLoot (default true): If true, allow people to loot inside containers of a safehouse
- SafehouseAllowRespawn (default false): If true, player who were allowed in a safehouse when they die will repsawn in their safehouse upon new character
- SafeHouseRemovalTime (default 144): If a safehouse is not visited during this time (in day) it'll be released of his safehouse status

- SafehouseDaySurvivedToClaim: if > 0 then only player that have survived this number are allowed to claim safehouse.

• The role of the Boss:

The boss can add and remove allowed players in his safehouse. Him and only him (well, and the admin :D) can release the safehouse. I know people will start to talk about "guilds/gangs" here; it'll come in time, I know some sort of band-things are planned for NPCs; I don't wanna walk on Lemmy's feet, but we'll see, a simple system could be done:

an UI where the boss can add/remove players in the safehouse, can set permissions/roles (some players will be able to only put stuff inside containers, but not take it, some will be allowed to recruit some other members, etc...)

• What you can and can't do to a safehouse:

As a non-allowed player? Nothing. (well, depend on server options, but by default, nothing, yeah.)

Fire won't destroy the house, you won't be able to sledgehammer neither chop down door/windows. You won't even be able to walk into it and even not right click context option on it.
Oh.. But zombies can still operate in them.. it's a damn Zombie apocalypse after all ;)

Note: If someone disconnect inside a house and when he's away this house is claimed, when he'll reconnect he'll be automatically teleported at the edge of the house (not inside).

I'm open to any suggestion, except the guild/bang/gang (not the other way, please.) as it'll prob come in the future and I won't do it for this release of the safehouse system ;)

Holy crap, this sounds fantastic!

- SafehouseAllowRespawn (default true): If true, player who were allowed in a safehouse when they die will repsawn in their safehouse upon new character

This would really help in MP, so that people can find their way back to the other players easily when they die!

Do you think this will show up in Build 32?

Hey, I just saw the Build 32 tag. Nevermind me.

I think there may be some naming issues or something at play here. 

- SafehouseAllowTrepass (default false): If true, allow people to walk into others people safehouse (but not loot it)

- SafehouseAllowFire (default false): If true, allow fire to spread/burn wall in safehouses
- SafehouseAllowLoot (default false): If true, allow people to loot inside containers of a safehouse

- SafehouseAllowRespawn (default true): If true, player who were allowed in a safehouse when they die will repsawn in their safehouse upon new character

from our conversations, pretty positive this is actually the opposite. AllowRespawn is default false, the others default true. Or that's the right way around functionally but the names are wrong and should be called 'Forbid' instead of 'Allow'

Sounds like a great idea, but hopefully it doesn't get turned into a "admin only can claim safehouse, only invites donators into them" thing.

I don't think so, the admin thing is there so they can enable the system but only players who deserved it could have a safehouse...

But again, it'll be in test in IWBUMS, we'll see how it goes, if admin abuse it, I'll remove it, as long as everyone is fairplay, it's gonna be in ;)

I like it apart from few things

I dont like the part about not beeing able to walk into other players safehouse. If they look it (knob + key, baricade windows) and you cant brake it coz of safehouse protection then its cool, if its invisible wall that keep you off the house then its lame.

Other related ideas.

1) If we get new traps in build 32 how about disable them vs team mates ? So you can place traps inside safehouse to keep thiefs off but they wont harm your friends.

2) it would be great to give more ranks not only Boss and group member, something like Boss, Officer (he can invite new ppl to the group just like boss, can destroy parts of safehouse (for rebulding)), members (regular rank, have acces to loot, cant destroy safehouse and cant recruit new members), newbe ( can walki into house, have limited acces to the loot etc)

3) Can we claim player made structures / houses / forts .

I kinda don't like this idea, it would break the immersion of trying to survive scavenging, i mean don't get me wrong, a way to protect a base would be cool and i hate people burning other people safehouse just cause, but i dont want to imagine my character walking up to a safehouse begin followed by a horde only to be hit in the nose with a force field around the house.

I would love this idea if the system could tell if a player is online or offline, if the player is online, is his job to keep his safehouse...well safe from players, if the player is offline though, the system would kick in and make the claim work thus making players not able to raid it.

And have like a timer of how much time the player has been offline, so if sometime has passed since the player made the claim but hasn't return, the claim will be gone and the safehouse would be fair game.

But that would take a lot of coding or not even possible to make.

@Zorak, please read again...

I said it's not optimum, and player can just chop down your door even if it's locked. Some players/servers like to keep their stuff and play fairplay and not having to lose everything they disconnect. Servers could allow player to walk inside safehouse but not loot them, it's up to them.

1) Traps inside your safehouse? Best way to blow it, there's no currently way to protect your team mates from them, as I said, it may come when the group/band thingy will be there

2/3) Read again.

@Blasted_Taco: Nah, that could be a good idea for a server option, safehouse are disabled if at least one player of the safehouse is connected? Or maybe only the boss?

For your 2nd point, it's already in, as Zorak, read again, you have a server option for that, so you can release a safehouse if it hasn't been visited for some time.

@Blasted_Taco: Nah, that could be a good idea for a server option, safehouse are disabled if at least one player of the safehouse is connected? Or maybe only the boss?

For your 2nd point, it's already in, as Zorak, read again, you have a server option for that, so you can release a safehouse if it hasn't been visited for some time.

I mean if there is at least  1 player that can enter the base (Boss or just some member), they have the responsibility to defend the house dont you think?

That is when traps and all the good stuff comes in, where if you go on a raid run you have the responsibility to lay down some traps to make your safehouse safe from raiding, otherwise you will think:

"I am going to hit the stores, good thing i have my house surrounded by a force field so i dont have to worry about losing my stuff because my neighbor is roaming around "

Also if that is implemented, i can see players who see someone near their base d/c so they cant enter his base, a timeout for the system would be good, like if i d/c, the system will kick in after 5/10 minutes, it would prevent people activating the force field in their safehouse as a protection method when in danger instead of actually defending their safehouse.

Sounds like a great idea, but hopefully it doesn't get turned into a "admin only can claim safehouse, only invites donators into them" thing.

I don't think so, the admin thing is there so they can enable the system but only players who deserved it could have a safehouse...

But again, it'll be in test in IWBUMS, we'll see how it goes, if admin abuse it, I'll remove it, as long as everyone is fairplay, it's gonna be in ;)

You don't have to remove the system just because some admins are going to abuse this. With the way things go, there's always going to be people who own the server that don't want fair play and keep everything to themselves/ruin fun for their own entertainment. Just like some admins abuse invisibility and god mode, there will be some who abuse this thing as well, doesn't mean that you have to get rid of invisibility and god mode though, right? :P

@Zorak, please read again...

I said it's not optimum, and player can just chop down your door even if it's locked. Some players/servers like to keep their stuff and play fairplay and not having to lose everything they disconnect. Servers could allow player to walk inside safehouse but not loot them, it's up to them.

1) Traps inside your safehouse? Best way to blow it, there's no currently way to protect your team mates from them, as I said, it may come when the group/band thingy will be there

2/3) Read again.

But if we keep only "cant destroy other players safehouse" and then those players will baricade and lock their doors it will work in the same way + it will be more realistic protection than invisible wall.

Im also not sure about that "noloot" option. If we can build carates and lock them with lockpads + other players cant destroy them it would work in more "real way".

I know those settings are optional all up to server admin but in the other hand IMO the best part of PZ is that realistic feeling, you can walk into other players safehouses see how they live, read their notes etc.

I agree that anti-grief system is needed but again imo players should  put some effort into protecting their bases (getting keys/ knobs/ padlocks) not just claim and "your safe mode" is on.

But even barricade/lock doors will tak roughly 10min for someone to enter the safehouse and then loot it...

Tons of people have trouble playing MP because of that, maybe not you, but you're free to not play on safehouse servers :)

Well if claming the house will just make all walls, baricades etc undestructable that will work. If you lock and baricade your house other players wont be able to destroy door -> your safe. You leave your door open -> your fault but then  again if you keep your stuff in locked crates (padlocks) they cant destroy or open them so loot will be safe ( no need for no-loot option).

The only concerns i have is that in last build you spend a lot of time cooding keys and padlocks and now no one will use them coz you can just claim house to make it 100% safe.

IMO keeping just protection vs fire and destroying parts of safehouse (doors, windows etc) will keep the realism of the game on high lvl and make keys and padlocks usefull (right now they useless in MP coz griefers will just destroy door or you crate to get the loot).

I hope i dont sount like douchebag thats trying to force hes idea :D

This is awesome. I just have one question. Off topic. But, if say we wanted to donate beyond having bought the game. Who or how would we donate to you guys?

I also want to run through some things that we have planned and wanted to get some opinions and approvals from you guys before moving forward. Please PM if you're interested, either Lemmy or Robert Johnson.

Thanks

This is awesome. I just have one question. Off topic. But, if say we wanted to donate beyond having bought the game. Who or how would we donate to you guys?

I also want to run through some things that we have planned and wanted to get some opinions and approvals from you guys before moving forward. Please PM if you're interested, either Lemmy or Robert Johnson.

Thanks

Just tell them to spread the words, if they really want to donate, they can buy more copy of the game and give them to their friends/make donation on stream :)

the only thing I could recommend is possibly to have a message upon walking into the front door? (or any door thats touching an outside tile of the safehosue area) Whether it's a text string or a pop-up window for players who have large groups and aren't on at all times of the day, they can still see what needs to be done, whats new about the place, loot grocery list, the owner/boss, etc.

EDIT: If I make it where city buildings don't get destroyed, will this also make peoples safe houses not also become destroyed?

Thanks

Just tell them to spread the words, if they really want to donate, they can buy more copy of the game and give them to their friends/make donation on stream :)

Okay, we have an economic system in place for the players outside of the server. We use bottle caps which can be gained by either participating normally on the forums or completing ingame events. It is currently a free system.

The bottle caps from the forums can be in turn used to get favors in game such as full heal to a box of ammo and many other things.

We would like to monetize this system and still keep it free to make it as fair a possible. The money earned will go towards monthly upkeep and future upgrades or additional servers for the game.

What we would like to do is donate a certain percentage of the earnings to were it belongs.. You guys!

From your suggestion we could do this by buying more copies of the game and doing giveaways. Which, we could do via streams.

I was thinking that we could do 30% royalties to you guys. Would that be okay?

-sorry a pain to type this out on my phone. Ultimately, I want to support you guys. By having awesome friendly servers and getting this game as much advertisement as I can give it.

I want this to succeed more than anything.

the only thing I could recommend is possibly to have a message upon walking into the front door? (or any door thats touching an outside tile of the safehosue area) Whether it's a text string or a pop-up window for players who have large groups and aren't on at all times of the day, they can still see what needs to be done, whats new about the place, loot grocery list, the owner/boss, etc.

EDIT: If I make it where city buildings don't get destroyed, will this also make peoples safe houses not also become destroyed?

Or something like a nail + note on a wooden sighn will make a pop-up window with that note simmilar to farming information when your high lvl farmer.

Thanks

There's the option to buy copies then do giveaways on sites like steamcompanion or steamgifts, just set them to a week long entry period and it'll generate a lot of exposure for PZ.

Or something like a nail + note on a wooden sighn will make a pop-up window with that note simmilar to farming information when your high lvl farmer.

Yes. A sign would also do wonders.