NEW ZOMBIE SPAWNING SYSTEM!

wat

Late game is not going to be fixed yet, i mean the zombie count is going to keep rising until it hits the limit of the zone, but that doesn't mean that the zombies will find you and your base and fock things up.

Unless we get hordes migration where if you make very heavy noise zombies will walk in your base direction, i dont think we are going to see late game fixed.

Also is Beginner mode already in the game?
I hope Operation Kill You Before End Game comes into full motion soon.

Boo I hate hate hate hate it.

I spent all this time clearing the area of zombies and they just spawn in the parking lot like jackasses!

I'm sure I'll get used to it, but now I'll never be able to genocide these sumbitches.

Boo I hate hate hate hate it.

I spent all this time clearing the area of zombies and they just spawn in the parking lot like jackasses!

I'm sure I'll get used to it, but now I'll never be able to genocide these sumbitches.

Turn zombie respawning off...?

I like what I've seen sofar, I stopped playing over a year ago because the spawning in square block zombie conventions were just too irritating. Now if you're meticulous in cleaning them up early game you end up with regular encounters of individuals or small groups but no busloads at the same time, kind of what you'd expect.

I also like that they seem to be migrating in small groups, even without sound events like planes and gunshots. It feels natural...

So kudo's for the devs.

NERDGASM.png

OMG!

Did late game just get fixed?

I pray to the dev gods to maintain this steady stream of awesome and to keep accelerating closer to IWBUMS

No, sadly. Provided you pick a safehouse on the outskirts of town and have a good enough carpentry skill, lategame is still pretty safe. I don't mean in the middle of the woods either - just pick the very corner house of the suburbs and you're extremely unlikely to encounter a colossal horde (unless you head into town for supplies but the whole point of late game is that you've eliminated that need - you've got a farm/fishing hole and your rain collection/river water set up so why would you need to?

It's frustrating cos I thought it was fixed too. Of course the way to "unfix" it is to not live in one of those places - set yourself the challenge of surviving in downtown or, heck, even the *middle* of the suburbs and the game is suddenly hella difficult. Sort of sucks that you have to pick an unsafe safehouse to ensure the game stays fun though.

NERDGASM.png

OMG!

I pray to the dev gods to maintain this steady stream of awesome and to keep accelerating closer to IWBUMS

No, sadly. Provided you pick a safehouse on the outskirts of town and have a good enough carpentry skill, lategame is still pretty safe. I don't mean in the middle of the woods either - just pick the very corner house of the suburbs and you're extremely unlikely to encounter a colossal horde (unless you head into town for supplies but the whole point of late game is that you've eliminated that need - you've got a farm/fishing hole and your rain collection/river water set up so why would you need to?

It's frustrating cos I thought it was fixed too. Of course the way to "unfix" it is to not live in one of those places - set yourself the challenge of surviving in downtown or, heck, even the *middle* of the suburbs and the game is suddenly hella difficult. Sort of sucks that you have to pick an unsafe safehouse to ensure the game stays fun though.

Bottom line then - they need to nerf farming.  Seriously.  Obviously it should still be viable as a way to get food in the late game, and of course when you have a colony, but in its current state it is too easy and quick to start up a farm that gives you all the food you need.

Bottom line then - they need to nerf farming.  Seriously.  Obviously it should still be viable as a way to get food in the late game, and of course when you have a colony, but in its current state it is too easy and quick to start up a farm that gives you all the food you need.

I agree - I think you shouldn't be able to plant seeds at all without the "learnt recipe/skill", similar to generators/trap. And even if you do, the smaller your farming level is, the bigger the modifier is on the starting health of a crop. (Meaning anything < 1 is 100% doomed to die out. level 1 meaning 10% survival, etc). Starting out with a farmer trait/profession, partially, eliminates the starting health modifier. Reading how to plant the specific crops from journals (assuming you don't start out with that profession) partially eliminates that modifier as well. 

Also, growing time(plants)/starting time(game) should be increased. Growing time so it's wiser to plant very early so you get the food only closer to winter (forcing you to scavenge out for food until it happens), or starting time so you couldn't effectively plant seeds if you take too long to find a trowel before winter. At least in winter stuff doesn't grow.

I agree - I think you shouldn't be able to plant seeds at all without the "learnt recipe/skill", similar to generators/trap.

No.

I'm all for nerfing farming to make long term survival a little more difficult but I cross the line at needing to read an instruction manual before you can put seeds in the ground.

I don't understand why the Devs want to kill people before they even get to late game or even why people seem to want it.

Here's my thoughts. If they didn't want ANY sort of late game, they shouldn't of added the ability. For instance...Don't want people sticking around? Remove the ability to obtain new food (I.E. once you've scavenged everything, its over)

Obviously, both players and Devs want some form of end game. Instead of improving it or adding things to do, they figure its a better idea to kill you off before then?

The only way they're going to "fix" late game is by adding NPCS, as they'd likely be smarter and more capible than zombies. Meaning they could climb up your little base in the sky and loot your stuff/kill you or simply set it all on fire.

NERDGASM.png

OMG!

My experience so far is quite the opposite, my safe houses (on the city outskirts, not downtown) are being invaded every once in a while. In fact I had to live a nomad life for some quite time due to the hordes pressing onto me relentlessly. Now I have 3 bases (I actually need that many if I wish to survive long term) and cycle between them if sh*t hits the fan.

Maybe if you mess a bit with your sandbox rules? My zombie population is on high and have them respawn every week with 80% of initial numbers. It's fun as hell, can't wait for NPCs :D

No.

I'm all for nerfing farming to make long term survival a little more difficult but I cross the line at needing to read an instruction manual before you can put seeds in the ground.

Let's experiment - when you have a spare time, try to ask a random person on the street (or someone you know) to explain in detail how to plant crops. The rules - they are not allowed to ask you, anyone else or search on the internet on how to do it. If they explain it properly and you won't find any mistakes in their words - I rest my case and admit defeat :P

I don't understand why the Devs want to kill people before they even get to late game or even why people seem to want it.

Here's my thoughts. If they didn't want ANY sort of late game, they shouldn't of added the ability. For instance...Don't want people sticking around? Remove the ability to obtain new food (I.E. once you've scavenged everything, its over)

Obviously, both players and Devs want some form of end game. Instead of improving it or adding things to do, they figure its a better idea to kill you off before then?

I think the reason they wanna kill you before the late-game because they want it to be an overwhelmingly difficult and insurmountable game, not because they're ashamed of it being bad for however long.

NERDGASM.png

OMG!

My experience so far is quite the opposite, my safe houses (on the city outskirts, not downtown) are being invaded every once in a while. In fact I had to live a nomad life for some quite time due to the hordes pressing onto me relentlessly. Now I have 3 bases (I actually need that many if I wish to survive long term) and cycle between them if sh*t hits the fan.

Maybe if you mess a bit with your sandbox rules? My zombie population is on high and have them respawn every week with 80% of initial numbers. It's fun as hell, can't wait for NPCs :D

Edge of the city or edge of the suburbs? The "totally safe" houses I've been finding are generally on the very edge of the suburbs - there should be no houses immediately behind them, a road in front and a house only on one side. 

Here is the house I survived for a merry month in, most of it spent chopping wood and sawing outside, whilst never encountering a horde. I even had meta events going on nearby and no one came to the party. When I eventually got bit, while out on a run, I actually went back to my house and fired off all my guns, ran around and yelled to see if I could attract their attention, but nada. 

My absolute dream in this game is to have my well-fortified safehouse attacked by a gigantic horde, but the problem is: if you try and build a well fortified safehouse in a built up area, you die. If you build one out of the way, you never encounter a horde (never may be going too far - I accept 27 days might not be long enough to know for sure, but I'm pretty confident that if I'd made that last run successfully, I could have lived in my little hidey-hole for an extremely long time before an unlikely confluence of metagame events brought a horde anywhere near me - indeed I'm not even sure if it's possible as I don't know if metagame events can drag zombies in from non-streamed areas).

*Recites The Holy Incantation*

One day, NPCs will fix this.  

No.

Let's experiment - when you have a spare time, try to ask a random person on the street (or someone you know) to explain in detail how to plant crops. The rules - they are not allowed to ask you, anyone else or search on the internet on how to do it. If they explain it properly and you won't find any mistakes in their words - I rest my case and admit defeat :P

First person I found stated that you buy the seeds, dig a hole in the ground with a shovel, and place the seeds within. I'm sure a farmer would have a better idea of how to go about doing it, but a regular person definitely knows the most basic of the information you need to know in order to start planting seeds.

Which is a moot point anyway, since every packet of seeds I've ever seen has had detailed instructions on the packaging telling you exactly how to plant the seeds in order to get the best result. So the instruction manual you're saying we should read before we plant the seeds already comes with the seeds we intend to plant.

I don't mean to sound harsh if I'm coming across as such, but I really think it's not a very good idea. I'd suggest nerfing farming in other ways, is all.

NERDGASM.png

OMG!

Edge of the city or edge of the suburbs? The "totally safe" houses I've been finding are generally on the very edge of the suburbs - there should be no houses immediately behind them, a road in front and a house only on one side. 

Here is the house I survived for a merry month in, most of it spent chopping wood and sawing outside, whilst never encountering a horde. I even had meta events going on nearby and no one came to the party. When I eventually got bit, while out on a run, I actually went back to my house and fired off all my guns, ran around and yelled to see if I could attract their attention, but nada. 

My absolute dream in this game is to have my well-fortified safehouse attacked by a gigantic horde, but the problem is: if you try and build a well fortified safehouse in a built up area, you die. If you build one out of the way, you never encounter a horde (never may be going too far - I accept 27 days might not be long enough to know for sure, but I'm pretty confident that if I'd made that last run successfully, I could have lived in my little hidey-hole for an extremely long time before an unlikely confluence of metagame events brought a horde anywhere near me - indeed I'm not even sure if it's possible as I don't know if metagame events can drag zombies in from non-streamed areas).

I had 2 safe houses (yup, had; character is no longer alive) - The Large Warehouse on North Muldraugh and Tavern on South Muldraugh, So yea, edge of suburbs. Had another trailor base but had to abandon the place very early on.

Seeing how much problems I had in my game with zombie invasions I recommend you to take a peek at your zombie settings. I play on high population (urban focused) with weekly respawn about 20% (just don't do 80% like I did initially, a horde of like 4 thousand overwhelmed me xD). Normal zombies otherwise with a bloodhound sense of smell and normal/pinpoint hearing (as you wish, I'm still testing what suits me most). And good luck :D

First person I found stated that you buy the seeds, dig a hole in the ground with a shovel, and place the seeds within. I'm sure a farmer would have a better idea of how to go about doing it, but a regular person definitely knows the most basic of the information you need to know in order to start planting seeds.

Which is a moot point anyway, since every packet of seeds I've ever seen has had detailed instructions on the packaging telling you exactly how to plant the seeds in order to get the best result. So the instruction manual you're saying we should read before we plant the seeds already comes with the seeds we intend to plant.

I don't mean to sound harsh if I'm coming across as such, but I really think it's not a very good idea. I'd suggest nerfing farming in other ways, is all.

In that case,

a-winner-is-you1.gif

So now it only leaves us with either making the growing times longer and more realistic (plant in spring to collect crops in fall), or make a starting point of the game much closer to winter (If you don't plant crops straight away from the start of the game, you're in for a long winter without perishable food)

I am conflicted about the new respawn systeme, yes it is more challenging but I fell it is a little too much. I am in the suburb of Muldraugh and I keep seeing group of 10 to 11 zombies all around my base. I can't go scavenge more than 2 or 3 house without being pursued by at least 20 zombies. I would be ok with this if it was in the middle of town, but I am near the wood, almost out of town, there should not be this many zombies, at least not at the start of the game.

NERDGASM.png

OMG!

Yeah I have a player that's at about a month and a half, and I've had a VASTLY different experience (in survival). I'm in the upper story of a house and there's almost ALWAYS been massive hordes wandering around outside, it's terrifying. They've broken through my first floor defenses many times (windows and doors with 3+ barricades), and at one point I spent nearly a week locked inside surviving off of dogfood until they got bored and moved on. 

Of course my safehouse is in the middle of west point, not the edges of town, so it's hard to say. I've never actually had a tough fortress get swarmed by hordes, so this is quite a change. 

post-16620-0-65909300-1433050716_thumb.p

post-16620-0-67569200-1433050769_thumb.p

Honestly I don´t think that farming is the easy way to gain food, fishing is the real problem. Don´t get me wrong, I´m also for more realistic growing times but fishing is way to easy (and honestly plain boring, just stare at a bar filling up).