The Silver Lining of NPC Delays Etc

lemmy101

Thanks for the responses enigma always helpful :P

I actually do agree on the whole put everything in place then dish it out, just seems like it takes awhile to get it dished out :P

On the topic of named guns, renaming them would be alright it just seems a little empty.... Also this whole copyright bananza has got to stop lol

Finally I think on the respawning thing it's just way too artificial for me to enjoy it :/ I have max advanced settings on movement and follow distances, they just don't move at all.... I have the distribution set to 10 hours and it still doesn't get them moving at all :/ idk just seems like there could be improvement (why do cells have to have Zombs in them?) Why not make them wander about aimlessly? Would be interesting (just make sure they don't go into the woods and are never heard from again lol)

I think there's a lot of "flavor" that needs to be in this game, a few changes, and some additions.... This game is already commanding 150 hours playtime with me and most likely will pull more, it has given me it's money's worth in my eyes.

• 1 month later...

Personally, I don't care about NPCs. If I want to play with other survivors I hop on server. It seems like a waste of resources best spent somewhere else.

Love the game & hard work, but IndieStone seem to have gotten themselves into a bad spot, because if they don't deliver on promises their reputation will be destroyed, and the longer it takes the bigger the hype/risk.

NPCs are taking forever, vehicles will take a while, too. People get very angry about long development times lol. At some point you need to constrict your goals, accomplish them, fine tune them...move on. Some of the best games could've been more, but succeeded greatly at what they were.

I don't know how you guys have done it. I'm so glad that you have, but I don't know how you have. It just occurred to me while reading that, that in the time that my busy brain has been interested, become disinterested, and again, and again, and again, you guys have lived and breathed PZ. Each time I come back to it I end up loving it that much more. I've probably dumped more hours into this game than any other game I've played. Which is really saying something considering the downright disturbing amount of time I put into Dark Souls. It's mind blowing to think that you guys have been wrapped up that entire time. Your works definitely appreciated. Keep it coming, and I'll keep playing it.

I don't know how you guys have done it. I'm so glad that you have, but I don't know how you have. It just occurred to me while reading that, that in the time that my busy brain has been interested, become disinterested, and again, and again, and again, you guys have lived and breathed PZ. Each time I come back to it I end up loving it that much more. I've probably dumped more hours into this game than any other game I've played. Which is really saying something considering the downright disturbing amount of time I put into Dark Souls. It's mind blowing to think that you guys have been wrapped up that entire time. Your works definitely appreciated. Keep it coming, and I'll keep playing it.

hahaha awesome, I remember when scouring the forums during yesteryear, reading your hastily written, and enjoying the typo laden, anecdotes from your experiences playing PZ. good stuff and welcome back, I am waiting for 1.0, and hell maybe I'll see ya sometime out on the wasteland

I honestly don't know what the developers were expecting. They made empty promises, and when it comes to stuff like this, empty promises REALLY piss people off. They were said to be finished by Q1 or Q2 of 2015... It's 2016 now and still no word on when npcs are coming out.

But it's the silence that bothers people the most. We know that NPCs are practically finished, so what gives? What's the problem? Just saying they aren't ready yet is not enough. If you tell people what the problem is, most will stop whining and understand (usually).

Here's to hoping the release NPC's before or during February.

P.S. people get really anxious after early access programs have been out this long. 5 years of development and one of the most important features is still missing. When this happens in other early access games, sales begin to dwindle and devs realize, "we already have 90% of the money we are going to make." This most definantly promotes laziness. No matter how much a dev cares about his game and community... money is still money.

I honestly don't know what the developers were expecting. They made empty promises, and when it comes to stuff like this, empty promises REALLY piss people off. They were said to be finished by Q1 or Q2 of 2015... It's 2016 now and still no word on when npcs are coming out.

But it's the silence that bothers people the most. We know that NPCs are practically finished, so what gives? What's the problem? Just saying they aren't ready yet is not enough. If you tell people what the problem is, most will stop whining and understand (usually).

Here's to hoping the release NPC's before or during February.

P.S. people get really anxious after early access programs have been out this long. 5 years of development and one of the most important features is still missing. When this happens in other early access games, sales begin to dwindle and devs realize, "we already have 90% of the money we are going to make." This most definantly promotes laziness. No matter how much a dev cares about his game and community... money is still money.

TIS was careful to inform people reading that "end of Q2 2015" date as both "not an ETA" and as something that was likely to be missed. That you failed to read this, despite it both coming before and after their optimistic date for the release of 1.0 is just further proof that such things will be held against them and shouldn't be mentioned in the future.

News about NPCs have continued right up until the end of August, when it finally became clear that no, it wasn't worth communicating with the more abusive element of the online community.  You can read it here: https://www.reddit.com/r/projectzomboid/comments/3yoskj/any_updates_on_npcs_and_npc_ideas/cyfd7gz

I doubt they'll be in by Februrary.

P.S. If that's how you really feel, then there's nothing more to be said, is there? Devs of long term projects are greedy, but satisfied with what they've earned. They're done. Thanks for lumping TIS in with them.

I think you missed my point entirely. I was explaining why the players of the the community are unhappy. You acted as if the entire thing was an insult. No. We've seen games like these before with successful early access go down the toilet all the time because they met their goal in sales before the game was finished.

This has happened many times before, and people get angry when they think they see it happening again. Early access has caused major distrust between developers and customers. TIS is a good development company, but they do not do much to distinguish themselves from others when it comes to early access.

Maybe if the devs made a short video every now and again showing how the npc's are coming along, They used to make cool videos like that, I don't know why they stopped I think the last one was a year ago, maybe if they started making dev videos like that again it would appease the community and make them feel more involved in the development process.

The mondoids are cool but I think it would be much better if instead like once a month they made a short video showing what they are working on and the plans for the future etc.

The dev team for the game I play called Trove do a really nice stream every friday where they go over what they are currently working on and what they will work on next and answer community pre-made questions about the future of the game. I think it would be awesome if the PZ dev team could maybe do a smaller scale version of that, Maybe once a month the pz dev team makes a short 10 minute video (doesn't matter if its pre-made or live) talking/showing about what they worked on, Are working on and what they will work on and maybe answer a few community questions, enigma could make a thread the previous month asking players to give questions for the video, something like that.

Maybe if the devs made a short video every now and again showing how the npc's are coming along, They used to make cool videos like that, I don't know why they stopped I think the last one was a year ago, maybe if they started making dev videos like that again it would appease the community and make them feel more involved in the development process.

The mondoids are cool but I think it would be much better if instead like once a month they made a short video showing what they are working on and the plans for the future etc.

People lose their shit every time NPCs are mentioned in a Mondoid or in a video, that's why it's stopped.

The last question-and-answer thing was the breaking point.

People lose their shit every time NPCs are mentioned in a Mondoid or in a video, that's why it's stopped.

The last question-and-answer thing was the breaking point.

I just think it would be amazing if the devs did little inside videos every so often, Where you see the devs face, hear them talk about the game and maybe show some internal gameplay of what they are working on. I'm certain it would bring the community and devs closer together and get everyone on the same page.

In trove when the community guy asks for the questions you normally get 20 pages mostly of stupid questions, But the devs pick out a few themselves and answer them, It works pretty well.

The only video I could find of the PZ team was from 2012 (very good video, watch it)

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-07-10-rezzed-sessions-project-zomboid-how-not-to-make-a-game

In it they all seem really nice and down to earth, Would love to see new videos of the pz team talking about the game :)

We can put 'more videos with devs faces please' into the suggestion pot for Mondoids, but it won't stop the NPC info blackout.

The NPC information blackout will continue till they're released. We've tried everything else to say "Seriously, they're still being worked on, the code is insanely complex, they'll be done when they done" and "please stop having a go at us every time they're mentioned".

If you think of some other way to stop the abuse that the devs receive every time they release information about NPCs, feel free to suggest it to me in a PM. Don't be surprised if we don't take you up on it though. ;)

Also, the last interview was from EGX, last year:

Besides, with a weekly mondoid, and almost a video included with each one it's not like we're in the dark. The community knows, for the most part, that the devs are super accessible and present. I for one am glad that these game developers are exceptional at their craft instead of being PR/marketing savants

They are generally super accessible too. I always tell people that when I recommend this game to them. It's insanely cool to be able to sit and have a conversation with the devs of a game you love, and make suggestions and constructive criticisms, and actually see them impact the game. Can't say I've had that experience with anything else.

..although I am still impatiently waiting for my trusty crowbar to look like a crowbar. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

They are generally super accessible too. I always tell people that when I recommend this game to them. It's insanely cool to be able to sit and have a conversation with the devs of a game you love, and make suggestions and constructive criticisms, and actually see them impact the game. Can't say I've had that experience with anything else.

..although I am still impatiently waiting for my trusty crowbar to look like a crowbar. ;)

The more people talk about the crowbar still not having it's texture, the more im reminded of people saying how Half Life 3 is not released yet..

I feel like there's a joke in there somwhere...

I got nothin'

• 5 months later...
33 minutes ago, samuk190 said:

Please, make a engine to modders do the NPC mod and more...

I think its more usefull than waiting ages!

I loved the game!! really realistic!

I'm waiting so much NPC!!!!

The code for the original NPCs are still in the game. All a modder would have to do is figure out saving / loading for the streaming world. Mind, they'd have the old states and the old bugs, though.

1 minute ago, EnigmaGrey said:

The code for the original NPCs are still in the game. All a modder would have to do is figure out saving / loading for the streaming world. Mind, they'd have the old states and the old bugs, though.

Yes i think, but idk why they can't..

Sleepmode in multiplayer IS already working, u just need enable sleep allowed and sleep need in server configuration.

But some people haven't figured yet

14 minutes ago, EnigmaGrey said:

Actually, insayne did it already. But what we can't figure out is making them do stuff independently of the player. 

Mostly if they are enabled again by someone, or someone just has it working already for their own game, (considering the NPC mod controversy) they'll be there just to make the game less lonely. Plus they might just KOS if they spawn with guns still or anything. I don't know how much different it is honestly but I definitely wouldn't like them in the game unless they were for distractions.

On 18.5.2015 at 8:31 PM, lemmy101 said:

Despite that this thread is over year old I still love you guys, you are one of the most commited developer team I ever know. Sure I would love that some updates come faster even minor ones, but I am aware of your meticulous work. This game is time consuming and pretty hard to make. I will wait and wait and eventually we will get all an awesome game. Like I said before I love you guys! Continue your super zombietastic work! . :)

On 18.5.2015 at 9:47 PM, lemmy101 said:

• 3 months later...