The Silver Lining of NPC Delays Etc

lemmy101

Good to see you back though Oddzball! Always nice to see familiar names resurface :)

Yep Yep.. Full time college has been kicking my butt, plus side projects. Learning to program in assembly and restoring old computers right now. Just got done repairing and cleaning an old C64 and a Sinclair 1000 (ZX81). I'm in the process of designing a new rougelike, since I kinda got tired of working on Cataclysm DDA. But I'm trying to bring rougelikes back to retro, so programming them in 8k BASIC.. fun times trying to see what you can do with old hardware.

Guest easy AI opponent

I'm going to need someone to explain this one to me.

ok let me explain the obvious to you:

This is a picture of medicine because he is sick of waiting for NPCs. I guess this is what Saul wanted to express...

Guest easy AI opponent

It's about the name probably VapoRub because NPCs are like vaporware, did I get that reference right? Can I have another cookie?

Sorry no, my explanation is better. The cookie is also mine.

Just read the first post and I can understand the frustration it takes to be a game developer and wanting at the same time to deliver.

But it's better to deliver with a small spoon instead of throwing everything out and choking the eaters...

Just read the first post and I can understand the frustration it takes to be a game developer and wanting at the same time to deliver.

But it's better to deliver with a small spoon instead of throwing everything out and choking the eaters...

Past experience tells us otherwise, ignoring that nothing has been thrown out.

When I first started playing this game I was always impatient for NPC's.

For me, I had always thought of game development as easy. I thought all it took was a few lines of code to have working NPC's.

When I started modding this game and learned how to code, I realized how much of a f*cking nightmare making games is, especially when a small team starts making the most advanced NPC system to exist.

Mass kudos to The Indie Stone. Bugtesting something THAT large and complex, where so many things can and will go wrong, and with a small development team, must be utterly mind shattering.

It took Bethesda 7 years in total to make and bugfix Skyrim's NPC system, and they were a massive AAA studio. I'm amazed at the progress that a small team has managed to do, and I can put my mind at ease knowing the devs care and weren't just grabbing my $16 to use on cocaine and hookers instead of working on the game (cough Day Z cough)

Seriously, thanks.

I don't think many of the regular forum goers have a problem with waiting. I personally don't mind, I just know when they come, they will be great. Take as long as you guys need to make sure they are ready, If they were rushed and released early, and didn't work meaning they had to be taken out again, people would just complain. I've not had one complaint with this game, keep it up! :)

What still no npcs back? Burn Muldraugh!!!

Just kidding!

I swear I told myself I would stop playing until NPCs were put back in but the game is just so good even without them I just couldn't fight the urges anymore and picked it up again. What I found was that because of the difficulty spike between when I last played and now, adding npcs is no longer as important to the fun of the game at the moment.

So take your time to ensure they live up to impressive standards of the rest of the game. I don't think anyone will disagree with that.

Rumor has it, there is one NPC in the game, out to get you. When you think the coast is clear... he's watching. When you move to clear an upper floor, he's there, waiting, and gone too soon. Some players have reported seeing this mythical NPC wandering the streets, unaware of the player's presence - but any noise or attempt at interaction causes him to run off-screen. 

Someone tried to shoot him, once. 

He wouldn't die.

His name is 

If he's out to get me then why does he run away when he hears or sees me?

stealth game logic

Rumor has it, there is one NPC in the game, out to get you. When you think the coast is clear... he's watching. When you move to clear an upper floor, he's there, waiting, and gone too soon. Some players have reported seeing this mythical NPC wandering the streets, unaware of the player's presence - but any noise or attempt at interaction causes him to run off-screen.

Someone tried to shoot him, once.

He wouldn't die.

His name is

If he's out to get me then why does he run away when he hears or sees me?

stealth game logic
He has to get you when the time has come...