Crossbow, an iconic weapon of zombie apocalypse and a survivalist gadget

drNovikov

Hello, guys.

I tried searching for "crossbow" in suggestions forum, found no such suggesion. So I decided to suggest a crossbow. Why?

1. It is an iconic weapon of many post-apocalyptic games, films and books, because it is silent, shoots retrievable and craftable ammo. Perfect tool for a survivor.

2. It will enhance survivor's sustainability, because it's bolts can be retrieved and crafted.

3. It will enhance stealth gameplay, because it is silent.

4. It will not be overpowered, because it will require players to reload (I suggest 2-3 sec reloading) it after each shot, and because player will have to search zombie's body to get his projectile back. Also, a typical crossbow weight is about 3.5 kg, so it will limit player's carrying capacity. Also, it's range is not that great.

I think that bolts and arrows could be crafted by a player with intermediate carpentry skill.

Best regards.

I think this is a good idea, but it would also require an additional skill especially for projectile-like weapons. (Bow and crossbow)

Shooting with a crossbow or a bow is nothing like shooting a gun. The range, the "wind", the power of the damages done, etc.

Bow and crossbow could do really little damage to zombies at first, but have a chance to "cripple" them or slow them down even further. With more skill in it, it could become a close-to-one-shot weapon as each shot got a chance to one-hit the zombies. (From really hard to use to one of the most useful weapon. A classic.) The skill would affect directly if the bolt/arrow kill or not. As long as the skills in it is not high, it's a gamble weapon. The bolt/arrow could have a high chance to be broken if the zombie don't die from it.

That's my little addition to the idea.

One of crossbow's good features is that at a pistol distance you need just your basic firearm skills. Wind does not affect it that much at 10-20 meters. Also, a bolt from a good crossbow is just as deadly, as a 9 mm bullet. In Middle Ages crossbow bolts even penetrated armor!

There is actually a Fletchery Mod out atm that does let you use Bows and Arrows. However as an actual ingame features I wouldn't be oppose to bows and crossbows as a stealth weapon one bit. However I would drop the craftability for the crossbow and make it a chance find. Crossbows are complex weapons, it'd be unlikely anyone would be able to craft one that is any kind of effective.

However I would drop the craftability for the crossbow and make it a chance find. Crossbows are complex weapons, it'd be unlikely anyone would be able to craft one that is any kind of effective.

I agree on a non-craftable crossbow, but craftable arrows is a must have, in my opinion, because this is exactly what makes crossbow a "survivalist weapon".

Other "survivalist" weapons could be sticks, clubs, makeshift spears, pitchforks.

Crafted bolts would be nice.   But there should be a large damage difference between those and a proper fiberglass bolt with a steel head.    With every shot having some small chance of the bolt breaking.    Over months or a year of use you'd eventually be left with just the home-made variety.

And you certainly don't want to miss.  Then it's goodbye ammunition.

Bow and arrow and crossbows are a great idea and a very logical one.  Long range and relatively silent weapons that could potentially head shot a zombie (with lots of practice ofc) or game are very attractive.  There is a reason why we used them in the past for hunting and war and it makes a lot of sense that you would look at making these if you were forced into such a situation :D 

• 2 months later...