The other tipe of end game

felipebasso

I think we're getting a little too philosophical with the whole aging notion.

Arbitrary, non-player influenced deaths are not what I play Zomboid for, and I doubt anyone else desires such in the vanilla build.

If you'd like a mod for that kind of thing - and I'm fairly sure 'Age' mods already exist, then by all means go for it because the idea, in itself, is not a bad one... Just not one that should be enforced on the grand majority.

I do like the concept of acquiring new traits as the game progresses, like becoming more fit or stronger, or vice versa from being inactive. But the concept of having an unavoidable timer to one's death is what kills this whole thing for me.

Let's try not to get on each others backs, this is a good idea after all, just not one I see being implemented on the base game.

I understand your feeling, but that's also the premise of the "That's how you Died" thing.

The game assumes that you, the player, will ultimately die in the end of the game. That's already arbitrary and outside of player control.

The idea of the author of the thread is for other ways to die besides being chomped by the zombies, killed by an NPC (when implemented) or comiting suicide by drinking bleach (you are giving up then... lame)... Old age is just one.

Its outside player control? Yes it is, but then again you cant control when you die in real life (outside of suicide that's it).

No, no it isn't . . . If you put yourself int he way of the zombies or fail to procure enough food to survive, you die.

The game doesn't go out of it's way to just decide "Hey, you reached X years! Congratulations. /Dead"

And again if you dont do those foolish things (and players that manage to survive long in this game rarely will) you go on forever and ever...

Every game must have a end. Its up to the devs to decide how and when... In this matter they already decided how...

"That's how you Died"...

Now there's only the matter of "when"...

No, no it isn't . . . If you put yourself int he way of the zombies or fail to procure enough food to survive, you die.

The game doesn't go out of it's way to just decide "Hey, you reached X years! Congratulations. /Dead"

And again if you dont do those foolish things (and players that manage to survive long in this game rarely will) you go on forever and ever...

Every game must have a end. Its up to the devs to decide how and when... In this matter they already decided how...

"That's how you Died"...

So the game should just throw up its hands and quit on the player just becuase the player is good at it?

"That's how you Died"...

That's a completely irrational presumption. The game can and will put you in situations where you won't survive. There's still choice in the matter- you have no idea that opening THAT bathroom door has a crawler that lunges out and bites you- but you won't survive. If the game is somehow allowing you to survive for a presumably infinite amount of time, then the game is not doing its job.

And you still haven't addressed the problem of wasting valuable dev time on something the vast, vast majority of players could never hope to accomplish. Nor have you addressed the problem that should surviving that long even be possible, you'd likely be bored to death by that time anyways- again a case of the game not doing its job.

Average people gets old, loosing fitness, strenght, etc. Why do you suposse all of your characters will reach old age being all fitness and stronger when they were younger? What about negative traits as obese? What about sportsman that die of sudden death? I can ensure you`re will be dead (your char :D  :D :D) before you can make it through 8 real life years constantly playing 6 hours a day.

The average guy (or girl) will not survive long in a zombie apocalypse. The same goes for obeses and people with some disability.

Have you see a comedy movie called "Zombieland"? The rules there apply perfectly to a zombie apocalypse.... well... except the one about double tap... that is wasting of ammo... :rolleyes:

My point is that the people who will manage to survive an event like the one presented in the game are the ones that:

- Have the better physical conditioning (run faster and longer, force doors, wield heavy weapons, carry more and etc)

- Can go without food and drink for reasonable periods of time. (That one varies from person to person but the record is 21 days for food (ghandi) and up to 4 days for water)

- Have the better imunologic system (to avoid diseases like flu and other)

- Dont have any cronicle condition that needs constant medication (like diabetes, high blood pressure, cardiac disease and etc)

- Are the most smart to figure out the solution to several chalenges that the day to day survival requires

or

- Have the most collection of knowledge on matters of wilderness survival, maintenance of machinery, caring of plants and chemistry.

Also, to achieve that goal (surviving for 40+ years) I would need 4-5 years of constant playing (using 30 minutes days on sandbox) and I dont play that much or that often. Thats a goal nonethless.

I think the problem is that you´re comparing PZ with Zombieland, i like that movie but it´s a kind of joke to zombie movies, literature, etc. I would compare PZ with The Walking Dead (the comic) the world is fucked, no one will survive, and your destiny is to die or to be eaten, at least is what we saw in the story, no one has died of old, even a character like Abraham, a marine, that is supposed to be trained to survive in most dificult scenarios. Even Rick when he was captured by the governor, if he wasn´t the main character i can assure he would be dead. I don´t know, my opinon is the game should be difficult enough to prevent we die of old, as other said, it´s kind of ridiculous if someday it says "Hey, you reached X years! Congratulations. /Dead"

that's why we have The Governor coming into the game, to be sure it gets too hard to survive. and so much OTHER stuff that the Devs intend to be as deadly as possible, to kill us quickly. talking about surviving for X amount of time in a game that is unfinished, with stuff we may not even be aware of due to show up, is pointless.

if the Devs see they have a "problem" with people surviving too long, they will deal with it one way or the other.

So the game should just throw up its hands and quit on the player just becuase the player is good at it?

No. That's not what I am talking about.

I am talking about other ways to end the game that dont deal with the types of death I mentioned earlier. Just that.

"That's how you Died"...

That's a completely irrational presumption. The game can and will put you in situations where you won't survive. There's still choice in the matter- you have no idea that opening THAT bathroom door has a crawler that lunges out and bites you- but you won't survive. If the game is somehow allowing you to survive for a presumably infinite amount of time, then the game is not doing its job.

And you still haven't addressed the problem of wasting valuable dev time on something the vast, vast majority of players could never hope to accomplish. Nor have you addressed the problem that should surviving that long even be possible, you'd likely be bored to death by that time anyways- again a case of the game not doing its job.

Irrational? No, its the complete opposite.

I dont believe that game will be "rigged" so that there will be no way to survive a given event inside the game. It will be a matter of luck and skill but the chance will be there.

Its a game after all so it will be, as for all games no matter how hard, a combination of skill and luck.

The devs will not need, if you feel its a waste of time, to develop an incredible mechanic. They just need to give, after a random amount of time after the "end game", a black screen like the one we get at the start of the game, telling how long we survived and how we died based on the skill levels of the player. Quite simple.

Just my sugestion to end the infinite grind it can become if the player is too skillful or stubborn to play the game for so long without dying

Average people gets old, loosing fitness, strenght, etc. Why do you suposse all of your characters will reach old age being all fitness and stronger when they were younger? What about negative traits as obese? What about sportsman that die of sudden death? I can ensure you`re will be dead (your char :D  :D :D) before you can make it through 8 real life years constantly playing 6 hours a day.

The average guy (or girl) will not survive long in a zombie apocalypse. The same goes for obeses and people with some disability.

Have you see a comedy movie called "Zombieland"? The rules there apply perfectly to a zombie apocalypse.... well... except the one about double tap... that is wasting of ammo... :rolleyes:

My point is that the people who will manage to survive an event like the one presented in the game are the ones that:

- Have the better physical conditioning (run faster and longer, force doors, wield heavy weapons, carry more and etc)

- Can go without food and drink for reasonable periods of time. (That one varies from person to person but the record is 21 days for food (ghandi) and up to 4 days for water)

- Have the better imunologic system (to avoid diseases like flu and other)

- Dont have any cronicle condition that needs constant medication (like diabetes, high blood pressure, cardiac disease and etc)

- Are the most smart to figure out the solution to several chalenges that the day to day survival requires

or

- Have the most collection of knowledge on matters of wilderness survival, maintenance of machinery, caring of plants and chemistry.

Also, to achieve that goal (surviving for 40+ years) I would need 4-5 years of constant playing (using 30 minutes days on sandbox) and I dont play that much or that often. Thats a goal nonethless.

I think the problem is that you´re comparing PZ with Zombieland, i like that movie but it´s a kind of joke to zombie movies, literature, etc. I would compare PZ with The Walking Dead (the comic) the world is fucked, no one will survive, and your destiny is to die or to be eaten, at least is what we saw in the story, no one has died of old, even a character like Abraham, a marine, that is supposed to be trained to survive in most dificult scenarios. Even Rick when he was captured by the governor, if he wasn´t the main character i can assure he would be dead. I don´t know, my opinon is the game should be difficult enough to prevent we die of old, as other said, it´s kind of ridiculous if someday it says "Hey, you reached X years! Congratulations. /Dead"

that's why we have The Governor coming into the game, to be sure it gets too hard to survive. and so much OTHER stuff that the Devs intend to be as deadly as possible, to kill us quickly. talking about surviving for X amount of time in a game that is unfinished, with stuff we may not even be aware of due to show up, is pointless.

if the Devs see they have a "problem" with people surviving too long, they will deal with it one way or the other.

That's all a matter of skill and luck on the part of the player. Just that.

You are talking to complete a game without being killed, like complete the last of us in hardcore mode without being killed at least one time. What i mean is, the game has to be difficult enough to kill us, it´s ridiculous if we could survive through 4-8 years in real life playing 6 hours a day, if that happens the game is missing something, And as i said before, if you can survive that long take a pic and upload it. You said before "The average guy (or girl) will not survive long in a zombie apocalypse. The same goes for obeses and people with some disability." well, we are the average guy/girl, that´s the idea.

you also said "That's all a matter of skill and luck on the part of the player." you can´t have good luck all the time. If that happens, again, the game is failing at something.

Ultimately, the difference is me - the player - going; "Can I stop this from happening?"

Getting mauled by zombies? Yes

Starving? Yes

Aging? No

You forgot something, getting killed by NPC? Maybe, and something else, Getting mauled by zombies? Yes.... How do you know this will happen all the time? I would say maybe. Is something you don´t control

Ultimately, the difference is me - the player - going; "Can I stop this from happening?"

Getting mauled by zombies? Yes

Starving? Yes

Aging? No

You forgot something, getting killed by NPC? Maybe, and something else, Getting mauled by zombies? Yes.... How do you know this will happen all the time? I would say maybe. Is something you don´t control

Over-simplifiying.

There is no avoiding or working around age. NPCs and zombies can be worked around.