The other tipe of end game

felipebasso

I know the only way to end game is death...

But at least we could have a death by late age right? I don't find any suggest at aging so here is my point. 

We could have some age consequences like the mandatory disadvantage after some time and a roll of chance to other stuffs (like blindness or dementia) and after a while, death.

And now the other consequences... i know, again, about the prohibition about babes ans children... and, in consequence, sex. If this is about the worry of the rated the game will have when launched, if included this category, this could easily be overcome by some new insertion of a grow character after some time of intimacy with the other gender...

But if will be way more challenge protect a female character pregnant and grow a little children in a zombie infested town... hehehehe    

I'm sorry but I don't understand your google translating. Umm. Aging? Sex? Children? Aging won't have any purpose because you always die an early death in PZ. Sex and children are big commonly suggested NO's! Please read the commonly suggested page before posting :)

I know the only way to end game is death...

But at least we could have a death by late age right? I don't find any suggest at aging so here is my point. 

We could have some age consequences like the mandatory disadvantage after some time and a roll of chance to other stuffs (like blindness or dementia) and after a while, death.

And now the other consequences... i know, again, about the prohibition about babes ans children... and, in consequence, sex. If this is about the worry of the rated the game will have when launched, if included this category, this could easily be overcome by some new insertion of a grow character after some time of intimacy with the other gender...

But if will be way more challenge protect a female character pregnant and grow a little children in a zombie infested town... hehehehe    

http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/14344-a-poll-on-who-wants-an-end-game/

There's unlikely to be any end-game other than death at this point. The game isn't really a life simulator and getting killed just because you're now a certain age just would kind of suck. :-|

Dont know for sure.

Dying of old age could be a "endgame" if the player manages to survive for very long.

In the end you die, just that you dont die by beign the "dinner", got it? ;)

There's unlikely to be any end-game other than death at this point. The game isn't really a life simulator and getting killed just because you're now a certain age just would kind of suck. :-|

Dont know for sure.

Dying of old age could be a "endgame" if the player manages to survive for very long.

And it'll still suck to die because you reach an arbitrary number. :|

Dont know for sure.

And it'll still suck to die because you reach an arbitrary number. :-|

More than dying because an future arbitrary mechanic would spawn an army of zeds in your door or something like that?

If the point of the game is to tell the story of how you died, then allowing players that manage to survive for decades inside the game to die of old age is a valid option.

Quite a bit more, yes.

Particularly since that future arbitrary mechanic used in comparison will never exist.

Ok... but you know that leaves a huge question in the air right?

"What if the player manages, without cheating, to survive for 10+ years ingame?"

I think that it sucks more if you survive for so long and the game dont end. It would seen like the devs are saying "give up and die dude, there's no other option".

tumblr_inline_mu4j34mcrf1rynlhg.gif

Whew, this is getting heated!

Anyways, I'd have to say that an uncontrollable death such as old age, while it is a cool idea, doesn't belong in the vanilla game.

But we should be able to set our age at the very least, even if it doesn't change. I've never seen a 27 year old man have white hair and a thick beard, just saying.

So.. to solve our little enigma. We just need that they SAY that we have some aging deaths as a psychological effect and the premise will be fulfilled. heheheh After all is more than unlikely that someone will survive that long...

At least we could have some aging effects like a progressive depression or other consequences of long time alone and expose. That and suicidal option (already confirmed) will be like the other end game... 

After all is more than unlikely that someone will survive that long...

Have you tried?

With the current build and options on sandbox its possible that in 1 real life year you can pass like 10 years ingame. I have made that math once.

I have see around the forums people talking about chars that have survived for more than a year already. Sure there's no competition in the form of NPCs, but then again if you stop to think about it, NPCs are as much susceptible to the zeds as you, so I doub you would need to worry that much about marauders wielding guns at your safehouse door. Too much noise, too much zeds...

Take that as a chalenge.

My current character is already past 7 months ingame, with more than 400 zeds dead by my hands and I dont wish to stop at that :lol:

Let`s supose you manage to survive long enough to die in a natural way by age, the start age of a character is 27 years, right? Now, the average hope life is like 70-80 years. Do you think you`ll manage to survive 43-53 years without being bitten? What`s more, do you think you`ll manage to do it without being murdered by a gang? Mmmm....i don`t think so, unless you post a pic of that, of course :D

I think it'd be incredibly lame if my character died randomly just because they reached a certain age. What age would you deem too old? If we're adding mechanics that take control away from the player and kills the character randomly, why wait until old age? Let's add the chance of your character suffering from a brain aneurysm without warning, or a heart attack. Add the possibility of an anvil mysteriously falling from the sky and crushing your head.

Let`s supose you manage to survive long enough to die in a natural way by age, the start age of a character is 27 years, right? Now, the average hope life is like 70-80 years. Do you think you`ll manage to survive 43-53 years without being bitten? What`s more, do you think you`ll manage to do it without being murdered by a gang? Mmmm....i don`t think so, unless you post a pic of that, of course :D

That would be a chalenge indeed. But what if you manage that?

Assuming that every ingame day takes 1 hour to pass and that you play for 6 hours each day, it would take like 2 full months to pass 1 year ingame. That would mean that in one year you could more or less survive 6 years ingame. That makes the chalenge of surviving for 40+ years to be achieved after 8 years of game. If you use the setting for 1day=30 minutes then the chalenge would take 4 years.

Its a huge chalenge? yes it is, but games are not more than chalenges thrown at you with different rules each time.

I think it'd be incredibly lame if my character died randomly just because they reached a certain age. What age would you deem too old? If we're adding mechanics that take control away from the player and kills the character randomly, why wait until old age? Let's add the chance of your character suffering from a brain aneurysm without warning, or a heart attack. Add the possibility of an anvil mysteriously falling from the sky and crushing your head.

Like the author of the thread said "other ways of end game". Dying of old age is one of then.

Every game must have a end and since people here insist on the "That's how you died" route why not "That's how you died... of old age in your bed"?

The majority of people around the world die of natural causes (ie old age) in their homes while sleeping.

Barring any accident, tragedy or disease, that's how you or me or anyone here in these forums would die in the future (hopefuly in 40+ years)

That would be a chalenge indeed. But what if you manage that?

Assuming that every ingame day takes 1 hour to pass and that you play for 6 hours each day, it would take like 2 full months to pass 1 year ingame. That would mean that in one year you could more or less survive 6 years ingame. That makes the chalenge of surviving for 40+ years to be achieved after 8 years of game. If you use the setting for 1day=30 minutes then the chalenge would take 4 years.

Its a huge chalenge? yes it is, but games are not more than chalenges thrown at you with different rules each time.

Well, survive enough now without the NPC´s added, take a pic of that and post it :) . In wilderness, that it´s the closest to apocalypse we have in real life (because there´s no law, bah jungle law, there´s no medics, and every animal is in it´s own), animals which reach old age are eaten by its predators in most of the cases. What i´m trying to say is, imagine you reach to be 70 years old, you won´t be able to run or have the same strenght when you were 30, and imagine now that you are raided by a group of bandits, you may say "if i have guns, and good shooting skills i could easily kill them all...blablabla" yes, of course, but you´re missing the big horde atracted by the gunfire, they surround you and bye bye, you´re dead. This is the most common scenario we would face and IMO what we want in the game. So i think the most common end will be the character being zombie food or killed by a group of bandits.

I think people miss that we are playing a game that´s not finished and want the game be harder when they haven´t tasted the things that have to come. NPC´s bandits will be a pain in the ass.... or that´s what i hope

Well, survive enough now without the NPC´s added, take a pic of that and post it :) . In wilderness, that it´s the closest to apocalypse we have in real life (because there´s no law, bah jungle law, there´s no medics, and every animal is in it´s own), animals which reach old age are eaten by its predators in most of the cases. What i´m trying to say is, imagine you reach to be 70 years old, you won´t be able to run or have the same strenght when you were 30, and imagine now that you are raided by a group of bandits, you may say "if i have guns, and good shooting skills i could easily kill them all...blablabla" yes, of course, but you´re missing the big horde atracted by the gunfire, they surround you and bye bye, you´re dead. This is the most common scenario we would face and IMO what we want in the game. So i think the most common end will be the character being zombie food or killed by a group of bandits.

I think people miss that we are playing a game that´s not finished and want the game be harder when they haven´t tasted the things that have to come. NPC´s bandits will be a pain in the ass.... or that´s what i hope

I got your point but you also missed mine a couple of posts earlier.

Bandids/NPCs will (hopefully) be vulnerable to zeds too. That mean that any group of bandids would have to act much like the player to survive and that means "making as little noise as possible".

Also, humans can get to old age in good fitness condition. I know some old fellows (59, 62 and 71 respectivelly) here in Brazil that could put an 30 years old guy to shame in matters of running speed, stamina and even overall strength.

If you think about the setting a little, you will notice that like in the jungle its the "Rule of the Stronger". That means that any person that do manages to live for very long is either faster, stronger or more intelligent than the rest. I can see a fellow reaching his late 50's with the physics of a athlete in this scenario if he do manage to survive that long.

Got it?

Bandids/NPCs will (hopefully) be vulnerable to zeds too. That mean that any group of bandids would have to act much like the player to survive and that means "making as little noise as possible".

Also, humans can get to old age in good fitness condition. I know some old fellows (59, 62 and 71 respectivelly) here in Brazil that could put an 30 years old guy to shame in matters of running speed, stamina and even overall strength.

If you think about the setting a little, you will notice that like in the jungle its the "Rule of the Stronger". That means that any person that do manages to live for very long is either faster, stronger or more intelligent than the rest. I can see a fellow reaching his late 50's with the physics of a athlete in this scenario if he do manage to survive that long.

Got it?

So what you're saying is, people don't age at all and then one day they drop dead? You're contradicting your own point by putting out the sentiment that old people don't lose physical attributes (not to mention the fact that clearly based on science and reality they do).

It's not a concept that adds any fun to the game. It would be an utterly arbitrary wall that would be insanely boring to reach and provide nothing in terms of gameplay.

Further, if you think there won't be NPC groups that pose a threat to the player, you've got another thing coming. If they won't use guns, they won't use axes. What's that you say, you have guns to use against them? If you're willing to use guns, so are they. The NPC's are going to be a huge threat, and it's silly to think they won't take risks sometimes (or some of them might just be insane, psychopathic, or suicidal).

Further, this would mean the devs wasting extremely valuable dev time on something that's not only completely arbitrary but also that only maybe a handful of players would ever feasibly reach. Why spend time on something so utterly pointless when they could be adding a feature everyone can enjoy?

Let me just put it this way;

If you die because you were bitten or mauled to death, it's likely due to your own miscalculations or carelessness, I.E; it's your fault. In the end, the player's ultimate goal is similar to that in any other rogue-like - to do better than your last playthrough and to survive for as long as possible.

Simply put, this isn't a life-simulator, its a game, one based around the aspect of an endless grind for survival. The main appeal to it, I believe, is that there is no 'winning', there is only holding out on that inevitable loss for longer and longer times during each run.

Even if the 'death by old age' was not dead-set on a specific age, I'd be highly frustrated and miffed if after all my effort and progress, my character suddenly fell over and the message "You lived # days before dying of old age" appeared as an explanation. There'd be no real point in putting all that effort in if my death is so far out of my control that I can't do anything to prevent it - like being careful and fortifying my base.

As a mod, if someone wants this - fine. I can see some people desiring an ending, and in fact, this is already a discussion that's been held some days ago where people were suggesting there to be a military/cure ending. That's all good and well, but in the vanilla game, that's not what the Devs aspire for the game to accomplish in terms of an experience. The game is supposed to have no ending, it ends only with you and the zombies - or a circumstantial death brought on by carelessness or helplessness (like a lack of food)... And while you might argue that age fits into it, it only really provides the player with a time-limit to their playthrough, which is very, very unappealing.

Got it?

Average people gets old, loosing fitness, strenght, etc. Why do you suposse all of your characters will reach old age being all fitness and stronger when they were younger? What about negative traits as obese? What about sportsman that die of sudden death? I can ensure you`re will be dead (your char :D :D :D) before you can make it through 8 real life years constantly playing 6 hours a day.

I think we're getting a little too philosophical with the whole aging notion.

Arbitrary, non-player influenced deaths are not what I play Zomboid for, and I doubt anyone else desires such in the vanilla build.

If you'd like a mod for that kind of thing - and I'm fairly sure 'Age' mods already exist, then by all means go for it because the idea, in itself, is not a bad one... Just not one that should be enforced on the grand majority.

I do like the concept of acquiring new traits as the game progresses, like becoming more fit or stronger, or vice versa from being inactive. But the concept of having an unavoidable timer to one's death is what kills this whole thing for me.

Let's try not to get on each others backs, this is a good idea after all, just not one I see being implemented on the base game.

Average people gets old, loosing fitness, strenght, etc. Why do you suposse all of your characters will reach old age being all fitness and stronger when they were younger? What about negative traits as obese? What about sportsman that die of sudden death? I can ensure you`re will be dead (your char :D  :D :D) before you can make it through 8 real life years constantly playing 6 hours a day.

The average guy (or girl) will not survive long in a zombie apocalypse. The same goes for obeses and people with some disability.

Have you see a comedy movie called "Zombieland"? The rules there apply perfectly to a zombie apocalypse.... well... except the one about double tap... that is wasting of ammo... :rolleyes:

My point is that the people who will manage to survive an event like the one presented in the game are the ones that:

- Have the better physical conditioning (run faster and longer, force doors, wield heavy weapons, carry more and etc)

- Can go without food and drink for reasonable periods of time. (That one varies from person to person but the record is 21 days for food (ghandi) and up to 4 days for water)

- Have the better imunologic system (to avoid diseases like flu and other)

- Dont have any cronicle condition that needs constant medication (like diabetes, high blood pressure, cardiac disease and etc)

- Are the most smart to figure out the solution to several chalenges that the day to day survival requires

or

- Have the most collection of knowledge on matters of wilderness survival, maintenance of machinery, caring of plants and chemistry.

Also, to achieve that goal (surviving for 40+ years) I would need 4-5 years of constant playing (using 30 minutes days on sandbox) and I dont play that much or that often. Thats a goal nonethless.