The SIms Style Cutaway Walls

Etsamaru

I was showing this game off to my little cousins, (Which are now taller than me.) at my family reunion and they really liked the game. I think I got him to buy it as well but I am not sure.

The Point: He saw me look for stuff inside of the house and he said. "They should make the walls disappear or make it a toggle icon on the side like the sims."

Now in the SIMS you can make the walls just an outline on the ground. I think that would look better. Still hide the zombies behind walls and all. The walls just get in the way of seeing things most of the time and it would be a nice toggle to have. Making it easier to see. (Still make things hidden behind walls.) 

Did I mention it would help us see the Devs lovely house designs even more and appreciate the interiors?

Except for the textures on the walls, sprites of art and other decorations, .etc -- unless the walls can be toggled back.

It was discussed on the previous forum. I believe the devs suggested that, while it's interesting, it effectively means rewriting a large chunk of code to do it. The current system, though not ideal, does work as it is . . .

I would suggest then having your bubble erase a wider area of walls, also since they have already rewrote the game once i'm sure its not impossible, anything for qualities sake. Or at least have them keep the back walls and cutaway the front walls. When inside.

Yeah I was suggesting a toggle as well, like a button in the corner to toggle the walls. While it might be a lot of work it would be worth it in the end.

• 1 month later...

Visibilty it big part of the fear factor inside, think current system really encorages that, BUT if they could some howw use cut away walls in sync with a "Line of Sight" system that would be great, ie wall cuts away only when you have LOS on that wall.

This style of cutaway is another motivating factor behind the engine upgrade. It's something we've always wanted - the way it currently works is basically the best way we can currently do it without it being ludicrously expensive in terms of speed.

We'd also like roofs to turn off on a house-by-house basis rather than as a blanket all-on, all-off as they currently are.

Yeah this would be a great change, I've actually died a few times because I've walked to close to a wall and so my character has walked directly into a zombie's mouth.  Having it like the sims (as a toggle) would work really well I think, having the small 'outline' of the wall that would be hiding your character + zombies + furniture + other stuff while you're in that room, while restricting your line of sight as it usually would.

The rest of the walls in the room (the ones that aren't covering your character) would stay visible.

I like.

• 1 month later...

This style of cutaway is another motivating factor behind the engine upgrade. It's something we've always wanted - the way it currently works is basically the best way we can currently do it without it being ludicrously expensive in terms of speed.

We'd also like roofs to turn off on a house-by-house basis rather than as a blanket all-on, all-off as they currently are.

I just read the news about this now and I am excited for the new engine changes! Also nice knowing we will get the cutaway walls after all. :D

Can't wait to see all the good stuff that engine upgrade will give us! Thanks for being such great, communicative Devs.