The useless gun?

MrDeliberto

When I played older versions of the game with the pistol was possible to fight the zombies ... now that I'm back playing is really very difficult to hit a zombie about to unload an entire cartridge without any hit which leaves the "pistol emergency "useless.

My character is a police officer with level 5 of firearms.

Can anyone just what I can do to hit the shots?

by: Google translator XD

post-22347-0-43368200-1431281967_thumb.g

System changed a bit. With lvl 5 of firearms you should be able to hit pretty well.

Stop before shooting and aim for some time. Running and shooting is less effective now. Also aim between shoots.

Also you can try equipping pistols with some aiming upgrades (like laser etc).

by: Firefox dictionary ;)

System changed a bit. With lvl 5 of firearms you should be able to hit pretty well.

Stop before shooting and aim for some time. Running and shooting is less effective now. Also aim between shoots.

Also you can try equipping pistols with some aiming upgrades (like laser etc).

by: Firefox dictionary ;)

Thank you very much (I shoot moving away from the horde that is coming)

BY google translator

• 1 month later...

Build 32.16

Ok, guys, I'm a pistol user, and I just taught my completely amateur wife to shoot with a .45 colt revolver. A first timer, she's nothing spectacular, but at 15 yards she was able to place at least 4 out of 6 bullets in the general target area.

In the game the pistol is way hard to use. A 9 mm, at point blank, literally, point blank, I'm shooting 15 rounds into a zombie, my mouse pointer targets the head precisely, then center mass, and not a single hit.  Pistol accuracy is nerfed way out of realistic proportions. Point blank. As in within arms reach of the zed.

@Konrad Knox: I see your point, but I think that they are trying to simulate the exertion from running (breathing) + fear (leading to less than steady posture and relaxation) leading to shaky shooting. True, the guy playing as Veteran or Police Officer probably should not have nearly as much of that affecting them. Nor a lvl 5 skill person. It is a bit much, and I don't actually know whether or not the fear moodle has to be showing for it to affect shooting either, but I'd imagine panic, fear, etc, negatively impacts the shooting mechanics. At the end of the day though, the pistol does now seem pretty useless, and as time were to go on in a zombie apocalypse, I would imagine most survivors would get pretty used to it.

There ought to be a mechanic that takes into account the zombies ability to actually get to you. If I am standing on a rooftop with only sheet rope access firing on the zeds in the streets, the panic moodle shouldn't affect my aim NEARLY as much as if I was down in the streets with the horde.

IMO a small buff to accuracy would be good. Guns have already a lot of cons (lots of noise, rare ammo etc) and the only way to use them without 80% miss chance is to pick right occupation.

A buff to accuracy at close range and more traits for aim/ reloading would be welcome. So we can create non Police officer / Veteran character with some aiming exp boost (hunter trait is so expensive).

I see guns in PZ as being useless in general, except for maybe a shotgun for crowd control and even then, only if I'm away from highly populated areas.

Pistol is my #1 distraction tool, I shoot it in places I want zombies to be in. Actually using it as an effective weapon is foolish and suicidal. For many reason, One, Panic, with any of it you won't hit the broad side of a barn. Two, ammo, on hardcore reload you better carry a ton of fully loaded magazines with you, and it's really rare. Three, shots fired to deaths ratio, with a shotgun you're guaranteed to kill 1-2 zombies each shot, at level 0 with panic. With a pistol you'll maybe kill 0 zombies at no skill with panic. Five, with the new migration system a single shot can cause 1k horde to visit your position.

The only weapons more useless (Read: completely useless) are rifles, I never once used them in any way, they are basically weapons that take all the worst thing from both a pistol and a shotgun and have zero positives of their own (Range? Buahahaha, by the time you kill 1 zombie with a rifle you'll have 100 more to worry about thanks to very high noise generation and fire rate)

I'd like to see some Assault Rifles in the game, that could be interesting. They'd be pistols but maybe useful for crowd control.

Guys, I think guns are going to be a whole new ball game once NPCs are in, not to mention hostile players in multiplayer.

As for how they work now, I don't have much trouble killing zeds with them, though the shotgun is infinitely superior to the pistol. I don't really use guns at all though because the noise just isn't worth it. I'd like to see silencers, bows, and crossbows added for killing zeds at range. 

Guys, I think guns are going to be a whole new ball game once NPCs are in, not to mention hostile players in multiplayer.

As for how they work now, I don't have much trouble killing zeds with them, though the shotgun is infinitely superior to the pistol. I don't really use guns at all though because the noise just isn't worth it. I'd like to see silencers, bows, and crossbows added for killing zeds at range. 

Yup. They are too loud.

Just no shotgun silencers :P

Can we equip NPC's with pistols and will they have better aim? or do they have traits too? O__O

They probably will have traits.

I hope for personalities too. Backstab me. Come back with a shotgun! Executions! Fistfights!

Can we equip NPC's with pistols and will they have better aim? or do they have traits too? O__O

I'm thinking more along the lines of "stupid" NPCs firing off shots near your safe house and screwing you over. Or, if you run around with a firearm equipped, it's would ideally make any NPCs you run into much less likely to try to hold you up or outright attack you, unless they also have a firearm. Like if you run around with a pistol and run into an NPC with a bat, that NPC, if hostile, would act friendly and then try and hit you from behind (Giggity), instead of just coming at you with the bat and getting his brains blown out. But then maybe NPCs would do that sometimes, leaving you with no choice but to fire and attract a shitload of zeds.

Ugh I love theorycrafting about this game. Also I can see why NPCs are taking so long lol.

NPC will fix the ballance just a little bit.

One of the main problem with guns vs melee is that when you start with lvl 0 you can without a problem lvl up melee accuracy to lvl 3-4 without any xp bonus. And that lvl 3-4 will make you quite good at fighting horde. You cant do the same thing with guns coz ammo is a limiting factor here. Its not only matter of time but also finding that much ammo. You need to spend a lot of bullets if you want to lvl up guns. Another thing is that in melle you have a lot of cheap perks and occupations that give you boost to xp. In firearms you have to pick expensive occupations that give you only aiming / reloading skills or 1 trait (hunter) that is very expensive.

NPC will fix the ballance just a little bit.

Eh, idk about that, if anything they will make carrying a gun for self defense or robbing them a necessity, other than that NPCs are just going to make the game much harder if their dumbass decides that using a gun is a perfect solution for a zombie problem and they just so happen to be anywhere near your dreamy safehaven. It'll be fun!

When NPCs come in we'd better have an actual aiming mechanic as opposed to point in a direction and pray that your character thinks of the same thing as you. I wouldn't mind aiming like it was done in Fallout Tactics (when in real time you get a crosshair when mousing over an entity and know what you're shooting at) with more specific options (Aim for specific body part when shooting a human [shooting zeds defaults to head]) available at higher skill levels.

How about an auto-aiming system? not necessarily for every occupation and every level... probably as an expensive trait, or comes with a high aiming skill?

Can we also, while in melee, could we auto-target zeds nearest us? O__O what could be the repercussions?

There are obvious flaws in the project zomboid. Hit chance, damage per caliber on a soft target, aiming hit chance, range-visability, and weapon variants. While that was all done for hopefully balancing issues, some of it is a pain in the ass.

For example, the pistol is hands down currently the best general purpose weapon in the game. Highest fire rate, ammo capacity, survivabilty, ammo management, reload rate, and time to kill. Did I mention the mobility/ run and gun aspect? Its only literal downsides are weight compensation for its high ammo usage. Hence why this gun gets so much love.

The shotgun is the best zed clearer, but fails in comparison to the pistol in pvp due to its slower firing speed. Enough people have elaborated on their love of the shotgun, yet personally I'm more partial to the rifles (why I'm making this post) and would rather defend them instead.

Rifles are hand down the hardest weapon to use and learn within the game by far. High aim, insane noise per shot, and lower dps than wanted. Their asset however is range. As most player play the pistol game, they cannot cope with a rifles range whatsoever. Pick your engagements and ambushes, and you simply wont lose. From overwatch, to potshots, to assassinations there is rarely a better weapon. As it doesn't have to be your only weapon. That aspect is critical.

The current rifles are the hunting rifle and the varmient rifle. Use each rifle for what they are rated for, they both aren't useless, people just don't know how the hell to use what they have.

My last bit of wisdom, solidified from my own engagements, is that even a single bullet is deadly. It's not the lead posioning that has killed most of my victims sparing the pistol, it was bleedout. From experience most players lack the medical knowledge or resources to survive a firefight. That is an unexpected, ignored, but insanely useful piece of knowledge. Unless they are armed for bear, they still dont carry the needed medical equipment to survive a firefight because they simply don't account for it, or need the space in their bag. And THAT is more critical than what weapon you need to worship.

^I play as bandit and think a shotgun is better. One shot near the player is enough to make him bleed to die. 2 shots are just deadly.

Pistol is good too, but if you have good reload skill, in the time another player with a pistol hit you, you hit him two times xD

And yes, 1 pistol bullet is enough to kill somebody. In a RP server I got shot 1 time in the arm, I shot back and when I was taking cover noticed I was dying for the bleeding. Always carry your suture needle, tweezer and bandages. Don't forget that guys!

As a good friend of mine said: "Axe for dead, shotgun for human"

The guns are useful in MP, indispensable in PVP servers and roleplays, as bandit or for protection :)