Dropping equipped items

Sharpened Pata

I'm currently on my first playthrough, and I'm carrying a bunch of stuff around in bags.  As in, 4 bags of supplies (maybe it's overkill, or me being a klepto, or something, but still).  The current inventory system isn't too friendly with quickly switching items or just dropping them.  I know there are a few threads to this type of thing, but this is different enough I feel to warrant it's own. 

My main issue has been trying to move serveral bags at once to different areas.  I like to equip one in each hand, if I've been there before.  The problem is, if I come across a zombie, I can't quickly drop my bags and equip a weapon.  True, I could just equip the weapon with both hands, but that leaves me with nearly 50 pounds in my inventory.  Unless I take the extra 5 seconds to drop the bags, which, true, isn't long, but when your prepping to fight some zombies, that can be forever. 

Small thing I'm asking for really.  (or so it seems to me.  If that could be a coding nightmare, or something like that, please let me know!)  Being able to drop items that are equipped instead of having to unequip it, then drop it as two seperate actions.  Logically, shouldn't you just be able to drop whatever's in your hands, anyways?  That's my speal, thanks for reading!

Edit:  So, I'm still a noob, and I right click to interact with any items.  I realized if you scroll over the bag, you can drop it right away.  So, change in request, maybe simply include some of the normal options in with the right click ones?

... um why do you need seven bags... you only have two hands... and only one back...?

I take several trips.  And it's partly because I grab all the food I can (one bag down when perishables go bad, probably in a few days.)  and most long term survival items (seed packets, skill books, trowels, shovels, etc.)  so I get weighed down pretty quick.  But I'm not asking to let me carry all that at once, just to let me drop them when I need to fight.

I found a way to kind've get around that... It's not really 'faster', but... M'yeah.

Click and drag your equipped bag onto the floor-tile icon on the other inventory window. This should cause you to unequip the bag(s) and immediately proceed to drop them. Only problem is that you need to be standing still.

• 6 years later...

You should be able to drag on drop directly from main inventory window to anywhere on the ground, and you should be able to just drop it. You don't need to drag it to the secondary inventory window, anywhere on the screen that isn't part of the ui, and it should go straight to the ground.

Also handy if you find a bag on a zed, or in a trunk. Drag and drop to the ground, then you can view the contents in the inventory window without having to equip it.