Food expiration date

raymond

So some (the packed one or all) food would have an inspiration date menu indicator. I think it can be done through formula: date of food creation + days which food is unperishable

Edit: oops... suggested before sry

It would be great if that mod was incorporated into the game.

Imho it should be a feature related to cooking skill:

at skill level 0-2 you would see things just like it is now: food is fresh, stale or rotten

at skill level 3-6 you would see something like: fresh for about 7 days, stale in 5 days or rotten in about 2 days

above skill level 6 it would work just like in the mod abreu20011 made

Although that would be a nice addition, in the long term (2+ years ingame) the player would be starved to dead because most crops take weeks to grow and you only harvest 1-2 of each. Without other means to acquire food like hunting or ways to preserve food for long periods, that mechanic would be a sure way to kill the character.

I am all against sure kill mechanics. It remove the "game" factor and make the entire thing a book/movie, only that we are fooled into thinking our decisions or even skill makes a difference in the end.

Although that would be a nice addition, in the long term (2+ years ingame) the player would be starved to dead because most crops take weeks to grow and you only harvest 1-2 of each. Without other means to acquire food like hunting or ways to preserve food for long periods, that mechanic would be a sure way to kill the character.

I am all against sure kill mechanics. It remove the "game" factor and make the entire thing a book/movie, only that we are fooled into thinking our decisions or even skill makes a difference in the end.

That's depressive of you... I get about 100 tomatoes from 8 plants, most go bad because I can't eat that much. Yes, you will be able to hunt soon, and also you can trap stuff and go fishing as of now... But there are so many food cans around that I just make raids in town without killing if not necessary. Maybe, if my other suggestion about zombie-survivor loot is successful, you'd be able to get extra food from zeds...

That's depressive of you... I get about 100 tomatoes from 8 plants, most go bad because I can't eat that much. Yes, you will be able to hunt soon, and also you can trap stuff and go fishing as of now... But there are so many food cans around that I just make raids in town without killing if not necessary. Maybe, if my other suggestion about zombie-survivor loot is successful, you'd be able to get extra food from zeds...

Its not that I am depressive, I am just pragmatic.

Unless you have a very high skill in farming (good luck with that) you cannot harvest that much always. Also theres the fact that most of that food will rot. so you have a lot work for a very limited return.

I adressed that problem partially in another thread. Without better ways to preserve food all your work is for nothing.

I think you just need to sow about 3 potatoes every week, and eat a quarter potato per time, switching to unperishables if necessary, migrating to the river in winter to fish. I'm working on developing a good tactics for this, I can share how it works out later.This was a topic on food expiration, btw, but I think the topic can be closed, since yeah, not that important for base game...