Combat logging and multiple characters

Clayman

• 2 weeks later...

I think you might want to clarify your question(s) if you ever want any answer.

Multiple characters will be easy to deal with if steamwork is fully integrated, I think. One alive character per account sounds like something doable.

And to prevent wild disconnection I think a cooldown would do the trick, like people could still interact with your character for 30s to 1min after you disconnect. Forcing players to DC in safe places.

Multiple characters will be easy to deal with if steamwork is fully integrated, I think. One alive character per account sounds like something doable.

It could be 4 characters (or one network connection) per account because of split-screen mode (though I suppose they could let servers have an option to decide.)

And to prevent wild disconnection I think a cooldown would do the trick, like people could still interact with your character for 30s to 1min after you disconnect. Forcing players to DC in safe places.

Character saves are client side so that probably wouldn't work at the moment.

@EnigmaGrey, what he means by combat logging is when a player disconnects or alt+f4s when they're in 'combat' to avoid death.

That's usually defeated in games via a logout timer and characters persisting in the world for some time after a crash/disconnect (some arma mods also announce to the whole server when a player 'combat' logs.)

• 2 weeks later...

I think you might want to clarify your question(s) if you ever want any answer.

Like Runescape. You can't just close the browser to avoid death, if you don't log out properly your character stands there vulnerable.

• 4 weeks later...

I believe both of these things could already be addressed with mods... well - at least a log-out timer to fight combat logging - I'm not sure if a character can so easily be made to persist server-side without a player client at present, as the server would need to record changes to the combat-logging character and apply them to the client's save-files at login.

But that in mind, I'm pretty confident you will see options for limiting the number of characters on one IP and anti-combat logging measures down the road - either in core or future mods. As soon as we have some sort of mechanism to synchronize mods from server to clients, I suspect we'll be seeing a whole slew of multiplayer mods popping up - and combat logging is something we all run into, eventually - I reckon such a mod should show up right quick.

• 1 month later...