Zombie-survivor loot

raymond

I think it'd be good to have zombies drop items useful for survival (and it's pretty easily explained, since survivors die away eventually, while probably carrying supplies on them). So they might have food cans, tools, basically anything that a player would carry around. I have never found food cans on corpses yet, and rarely they had some tools on them (if ever). What I tend to find is useless stuff like lipsticks, medalions, etc. Of course, it'd have to be on rare occasion, since majority of guys died during the beginning of the Apocalypse, I guess. Maybe some of them could carry hiking bags full of that stuff... Also, that'd help them MP players a bit, because screw the respawning loot =\ What do you think?

Edit: BTW, you have to risk your avatar's life to cut through a horde before you find something useful, which would be pretty balanced, wouldn't it?

Well wouldn't zombies drop most of what they have since they no longer use tools. Besides things like dirty bandages and items that stick to the players it really doesn't seem to logical. Nice idea though.

Yes, probably most, but not everything maybe =/ still, maybe that'd be an alternative to the ungodly loot repawning 

A bag full of loot being worn imo would remain strapped to a zombified survivor would it not?

Well, with some loot tleast, not "full" of it... They already drop a lot of bags which I assume they don't carry in their hands, sometimes with stuff inside the bags... As SomeRandomGuy said, why no more useful stuff?

I support this idea; some zeds' loot should look not too different to what we're carrying.

Well, with some loot tleast, not "full" of it... They already drop a lot of bags which I assume they don't carry in their hands, sometimes with stuff inside the bags... As SomeRandomGuy said, why no more useful stuff?

They do, but those bags are empty the 99% of the time.

Some time ago, just to see what dropped what or where you could find what, I made a map with all types of items set as ''Common'' and a survivor with the ''Lucky'' trait (which is pretty imbalanced IMHO).

With that, I got zeds to drop as much as 3 Big Hiking Bags at the same time.... all of them usually empty, or in some rare cases, with a set of clothes inside.... that is. And I was honestly expecting to at least find some zed that had grabbed a bag of chips or a bottle of water, but noooo, seemed they all got killed because they were too busy collecting medicine (something which the zeds DO drop and is often an life-saver), grabbing clothes ('cuz you wanna survive with style, LOL) and useless clutter like combs and lipsticks (once again, surviving with style! :P ).

Well wouldn't zombies drop most of what they have since they no longer use tools. Besides things like dirty bandages and items that stick to the players it really doesn't seem to logical. Nice idea though.

They don't drop bags and heavy axes tho... Why dropping a 300 gram bag of chips, for example?

And I was honestly expecting to at least find some zed that had grabbed a bag of chips or a bottle of water, but noooo, seemed they all got killed because they were too busy collecting medicine (something which the zeds DO drop and is often an life-saver), grabbing clothes ('cuz you wanna survive with style, LOL) and useless clutter like combs and lipsticks (once again, surviving with style! :P ).

Must be the long dead ones... Probably in the first days there'd be a lot of panicking crowds where infection spreads quickly. People were living everyday life then suddenly died and zombified. That's where all the clutter is from.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, probably most, but not everything maybe =/ still, maybe that'd be an alternative to the ungodly loot repawning 

A bag full of loot being worn imo would remain strapped to a zombified survivor would it not?

It seems so. I also like the idea of (Dont jump to conclusions here) If it was sandbox options and a server option to have zed loot and/or item respawn.

It seems so. I also like the idea of (Dont jump to conclusions here) If it was sandbox options and a server option to have zed loot and/or item respawn.

Sure thing, the game should have more options for different preferences. I just really don't like the spawn thing =/

They don't drop bags and heavy axes tho... Why dropping a 300 gram bag of chips, for example?

because where would they keep the chips?  if they were eating it when they were killed the chips would be soggy with blood. also they would most likely drop it when they turned. and if by chance they didn't, how long have they been carrying it? they wold be leaving a trail of chips where they go or a combo of rain and zombie movement would destroy the chips.

as far as axes, hammers,trash bag its easy to see them still having a chance of holding on to it because of rigormortis of the hands. 

as far as backpacks, and hiking bags its also easy to say it just stayed on their backs. and so long as the straps didn't break it will still be on their backs when they rise. now why they don't have anything in them is another argument  (this was suggested some where else i cant find atm)

the lipstick, combs, and drugs can fit in someones pocket so they are also valid drops.

i personally think bags should have stuff in them (food, water, notebooks and such) but that would take some tricking of the loot mechanic.

this topic has been suggested here.

because where would they keep the chips? if they were eating it when they were killed the chips would be soggy with blood. also they would most likely drop it when they turned. and if by chance they didn't, how long have they been carrying it? they wold be leaving a trail of chips where they go or a combo of rain and zombie movement would destroy the chips.

as far as axes, hammers,trash bag its easy to see them still having a chance of holding on to it because of rigormortis of the hands.

as far as backpacks, and hiking bags its also easy to say it just stayed on their backs. and so long as the straps didn't break it will still be on their backs when they rise. now why they don't have anything in them is another argument (this was suggested some where else i cant find atm)

the lipstick, combs, and drugs can fit in someones pocket so they are also valid drops.

i personally think bags should have stuff in them (food, water, notebooks and such) but that would take some tricking of the loot mechanic.

this topic has been suggested here.

The topic you pointed out is basically the same as mine, only added later if I understand correctly. Speaking of zombies carrying loot in hands, well, at the moment, the character's strength governs how much they can carry in their main inventory. But I doubt that the Main Inventory reflects the thing carried only in hands, or even pockets, as you can swing baseball bat while having cans of food in main inventory, even more if you have strong perks. From RL experience, I would say it isn't possible to carry a lot of cans in hands (or in pockets, cause normal size cans just won't fit in regular pockets) while swinging a bat around with both hands . So, I come to a conclusion that the abstract "main inventory" thing reflects more than just hands or pockets - maybe some tiny bags or whatnot. Then why wouldn't the zombies have something similar for their main inventory? But yes, most of the heavy stuff should be in big bags. By the way, judging by zombie 3d models/sprites, I can't say they hold any axes in hands right now, so I wouldn't go for rigor mortis explanation.

Edit: I suggest anyone to look at that topic anyway, Svarog put a link for his mod there... Haven't checked it out, but maybe it's worth it. But personally, I think that kind of option deserves to make it into the vanilla game, as an option alternative to loot spawn.