Stuff to do in the winter

Crotchfire

My best survival survivor to date, Commander Zombobash, has made it to November.  He's got a safe haven at the Large Warehouse in Muldraugh, with plenty of firewood, matches, lighters, 8 spare axes, plenty of materials for raw axes, 250 rotten cabbages, 100+ rotten tomatoes, 100+ rotten potatoes, 6 rain barrels, 10 cooking pots to boil water, 20 water bottles, and a level 10 cooking skill (not to mention a healthy supply of violets, grape leaves, rose hips, and various rotting mushrooms).

Commander Zombobash is feeling good about his chances.  He's easily got enough food and water to last the winter, he doesn't see zombies wandering over to where he is very often, and if he gets bored he can just eat some gourmet rotten vegetable salad.

Thing is, I'm kinda bored with Commander Zombobash.  I'm pretty determined to make it through the winter with him, because he'll be the first survival character I've made to date that's done it (unless I make him do something silly, of course).  After that, I want to have him make the long trek to the mall and either go out in a blaze of glory or emerge gloriously victorious.  But before that happens, I'd prefer not to be bored while I play him through the winter.

So... stuff to do in the wintertime to keep the player from getting bored with the game.  Might I suggest making simple targets with paint and planks that you can use to train your aim with weapons?  Exercises that can be done to train strength/fitness so long as your character is fed enough?  A particular skill bonus such that if you gain experience in exactly one skill over the course of a day, you get a "no distractions" exp bonus to that skill when you go to sleep?

If we're really thinking "out-there" suggestions, maybe you can dissect a zombie for a bonus to first aid, and then you could dry the skin and make a zombie-leather coat (not as a disguise; but to show any other characters you come across that you're the baddest mother****er in the apocalypse).

Yeah, I like the idea of physical training.  It complements the book-learning already present, and can have the trade-off of physical exhaustion. By the way, does anyone else feel that even after the endurance/exhaustion changes that it still needs to be reworked to be more punishing?  

Physical training and target practice all seem like a good way to fortify your base woth skill-enhancing luxuries. Especially if one could find and use a public gym or police firing range.

I'd also recommend making wild life the bigger threat during Winter; zombies would naturally succumb to the cold and become slower, but animals such as dogs and wolves would be left to roam free as the apex predators. I could imagine having to defend yourself from them being EXTREMELY hazardous, potentially enough so to make venturing outside of your home for food or firewood much more complicated and risky.

Snowmen...? Maybe?

YES TO SNOWMEN!

Craft with two tree branches, a sweater, and a carrot

And I feel like crafting a bullseye for target practice should be do-able during anytime of the year, but the ability to beef up on zombie slaying with guns without shooting zeds is hella awesome.

ammunition is a very limited resource, and at this point it does not appear the Vanilla game will have any ammo reloading.

but you want to waste it on target practice and possibly draw a horde towards you with the gunfire?

ammunition is a very limited resource, and at this point it does not appear the Vanilla game will have any ammo reloading.

but you want to waste it on target practice and possibly draw a horde towards you with the gunfire?

An intelligent survivor would conserve it. But having the ability to use it for practice would give a greater sense of freedom, I think.

I think this would be a great way to increase your skills without putting yourself in harms way. In regards to the shooting range, I think that it could be worth using the ammo if it gives more than just shooting a zombie.  It would kinda make sense too, because you would be able to see what you're doing wrong and improve more.    

My best survival survivor to date, Commander Zombobash, has made it to November.  He's got a safe haven at the Large Warehouse in Muldraugh, with plenty of firewood, matches, lighters, 8 spare axes, plenty of materials for raw axes, 250 rotten cabbages, 100+ rotten tomatoes, 100+ rotten potatoes, 6 rain barrels, 10 cooking pots to boil water, 20 water bottles, and a level 10 cooking skill (not to mention a healthy supply of violets, grape leaves, rose hips, and various rotting mushrooms).

Commander Zombobash is feeling good about his chances.  He's easily got enough food and water to last the winter, he doesn't see zombies wandering over to where he is very often, and if he gets bored he can just eat some gourmet rotten vegetable salad.

Thing is, I'm kinda bored with Commander Zombobash.  I'm pretty determined to make it through the winter with him, because he'll be the first survival character I've made to date that's done it (unless I make him do something silly, of course).  After that, I want to have him make the long trek to the mall and either go out in a blaze of glory or emerge gloriously victorious.  But before that happens, I'd prefer not to be bored while I play him through the winter.

So... stuff to do in the wintertime to keep the player from getting bored with the game.  Might I suggest making simple targets with paint and planks that you can use to train your aim with weapons?  Exercises that can be done to train strength/fitness so long as your character is fed enough?  A particular skill bonus such that if you gain experience in exactly one skill over the course of a day, you get a "no distractions" exp bonus to that skill when you go to sleep?

If we're really thinking "out-there" suggestions, maybe you can dissect a zombie for a bonus to first aid, and then you could dry the skin and make a zombie-leather coat (not as a disguise; but to show any other characters you come across that you're the baddest mother****er in the apocalypse).

I guess we`ll have to wait npc to be added, imagine bandits looking for food who suddenly spot your safehouse ready to shoot and begin a party with zeds and all the stuff.....you´ll be entertained all the winter  (fedora)  (fedora)  (fedora)