COMPLETED: Spawn 'Anywhere' On the Map

CaptKaspar

*UPDATE* 8/6/16 - Version 2.1 Completed!

*Tested in IWBUMS v35.6*

*Works for both MP and SP*

*Does not currently work with any maps other than the vanilla maps*

*bug fixes*

• spawn location in the 'Car Repair Shop' has been updated to prevent zombies from killing a player on spawn.

I have finished work on adding in over 150 additional spawn points to the spawning system.

The current version adds additional spawn points and allows for:

• A 'near' random spawn location across the entire map. Since there are over 200 spawn locations, it will appear more like it was a completely randomly generated location instead of the few permanent spawn locations that we have now and we all know. They will not be tied to a profession. All professions can spawn in all locations.
  • Professions are 'weighted' to spawn in more likely locations at about the same % that The Indie Stone had. This is a small % and is roughly around 10% (This may be balanced in the future). Chefs will more likely spawn in restaurants, police will more likely spawn at the police station, forest rangers will more likely spawn in the forest, etc. However, it is still more likely that you will spawn randomly elsewhere.
  • Likely never have the same start twice! With over 200 spawn locations on the map, you would need A LOT of play-throughs to have the same experience twice!
  • Nearly 100 new spawn locations for Muldraugh and West Point and 3 new spawning regions: 'Random, KY (entire map)', 'Dixie, KY', and 'Valley Station, KY' (names taken from Blindcoder's map or in game sprites). This will allow for a lot more diversity to game starts.
  • Spawning in a cabin in the woods, on a farm, alone in the middle of nowhere, in your office bathroom, behind a bar, or in a jail cell will now all be possible among others. This can greatly increase the RP element.
  • Less spawn camping in MP since it will be nearly impossible to be where a character will spawn.
  • Spawn locations are less likely to already be looted in MP for new characters. On the flip side some fewer will more likely already be looted.
  • Some spawn locations will be easier than others; some will be more difficult than others.
  • In MP you can choose to spawn at Twiggy's. If you and a friend want to spawn together, you can now do so! Grab a beer together and survive the apocalypse!

WARNING: OUTDOOR SPAWNS MAY RESULT IN IMMEDIATE ZOMBIE FEASTING. This is because zombies are only prevented from spawning indoors where a player spawns, not outdoors. The amount of outdoor spawns are relatively low and most are out of urban areas so you still have a good chance, but be prepared to wake up from your nap in the woods and find zombies around :)

http://imgur.com/17YHzqz

To Install: (*NOTE BEFORE INSTALLING* TO UNINSTALL DO NOT REPLACE/REWRITE THE BELOW FILES/FOLDERS. MOVE THEM TO A SAFE LOCATION BEFORE INSTALLATION. IF YOU WISH TO UNINSTALL AND DO NOT DO THIS, YOU MAY BE FORCED TO REINSTALL PROJECT ZOMBOID ENTIRELY. I can't imagine why you would want to uninstall this though, its awesome! Make your server admin install it!)

Launch Project Zomboid and enjoy!

To Uninstall:

Simply move the folders/files that you moved earlier, because of my well placed note, back to their original locations.

Edited by CaptKaspar

I tested four, two spawned in Muldraugh and two in West Point.

Btw, would it be possible to make a mod that generates completely random spawn-point? So you could spawn you literally anywhere on the map?

I tested four, two spawned in Muldraugh and two in West Point.

Btw, would it be possible to make a mod that generates completely random spawn-point? So you could spawn you literally anywhere on the map?

It might be possible, but unfortunately I don't know exactly how to do it. The game currently uses preset coordinates for spawning locations (48 of them) when the game is first launched.

If someone more savvy than me knew how to write a script that auto-generates a text file with the random map coordinates that autosaves/overwrites the current random spawn location file each time the game is launched, then I think it would work. I am not positive, but I think you would have to relaunch the game for each new totally random start. That's not the biggest deal breaker I guess.

Its a little over my head though, but maybe if I get some free time I'll look into doing this. After all we live in a day and age where ignorance is a choice :)

EDIT: another big challenge would be not spawning in some locations and limiting the randomness (which is why I think they have the current system). Imagine spawning in the far far SW corner of Muldraugh. You'd probably die of hunger or thirst before making it to any source of water. I guess you could forage for berries along the way...

EDIT: another big challenge would be not spawning in some locations and limiting the randomness (which is why I think they have the current system). Imagine spawning in the far far SW corner of Muldraugh. You'd probably die of hunger or thirst before making it to any source of water. I guess you could forage for berries along the way...

A real shitty start can be great fun, but I guess there's a bit too much forest to make it completely random. because that would mean only one in twenty spawns would be in another place than the in middle of the forest. But I guess it wouldn't be to hard to generates spawning points of limited zones around the in and around build-up areas

A real shitty start can be great fun, but I guess there's a bit too much forest to make it completely random. because that would mean only one in twenty spawns would be in another place than the in middle of the forest. But I guess it wouldn't be to hard to generates spawning points of limited zones around the in and around build-up areas

yeah we can add as many spawn locations as we want to give the 'feel' of it being totally random on the map. Right now there are 48. I don't see why we can't have say 200. Its just the tedious task of looking up locations on BlindCoder's map and putting them into the spawn locations file. Definitely doable, but it'll just take a good many hours of geeking out :P

I already have the desire to throw in some spawn locations from the Northern areas up along the river and near the mall in some of those developments.

I think it would be fun to have 10 or so totally shitty spawn locations where you spawn in and realize you're screwed, but that you don't know exactly which spot you're in since there will be 10 others like it. I agree that would be fun!

I have over 100 spawn locations in so far!

I plan to add 175-200 spawn locations so that you can spawn in 'Random' (entire map), Muldraugh, West Point, 'Dixie' (crossroads between Muldraugh and WP), and Valley Station (mall area).

You might find yourself spawning in a cabin in the woods, the woods themselves, your office bathroom, behind the bar, or in a jail cell! Who knows!

I plan to add 175-200 spawn locations so that you can spawn in 'Random' (entire map), Muldraugh, West Point, 'Dixie' (crossroads between Muldraugh and WP), and Valley Station (mall area).

You might find yourself spawning in a cabin in the woods, the woods themselves, your office bathroom, behind the bar, or in a jail cell! Who knows!

I'm really liking this idea, it only makes things way more real to the game, After all not every person would be at there home when the outbreak started. I could have been out having a beer at the bar or at the store shopping, so yea likening your ideas. If i may ask how do you create spawn point? This ive been wanting to know for a while now, and no one ever answered me when ive asked. You seem to know, so what file do i edit? and and warning's i should take when doing so, but maybe i wont have to, since you seem to be doing what ive always thought about, good work.

I'm really liking this idea, it only makes things way more real to the game, After all not every person would be at there home when the outbreak started. I could have been out having a beer at the bar or at the store shopping, so yea likening your ideas. If i may ask how do you create spawn point? This ive been wanting to know for a while now, and no one ever answered me when ive asked. You seem to know, so what file do i edit? and and warning's i should take when doing so, but maybe i wont have to, since you seem to be doing what ive always thought about, good work.

Just adding spawn points is pretty easy. The file you need to edit is in your ProjectZomboid/media/maps/(map location folder ex. West Point, KY)/spawnpoints

You will see this upon opening with Notepad:

function SpawnPoints()
    return {
        unemployed = {
            {worldX=39, worldY=22, posX=204, posY=125}, -- Medium house1
            {worldX=39, worldY=22, posX=59, posY=84}, -- Small house 1
            {worldX=39, worldY=22, posX=92, posY=186}, -- Small house 2
            {worldX=39, worldY=23, posX=196, posY=115}, -- Medium house 2
            {worldX=40, worldY=23, posX=21, posY=14}, -- Motel
            {worldX=38, worldY=23, posX=137, posY=86}, -- Small house 3
            {worldX=38, worldY=23, posX=80, posY=124}, -- Medium house 4
            {worldX=38, worldY=22, posX=243, posY=96}, -- Small house 4
            {worldX=38, worldY=22, posX=94, posY=102}, -- Medium house 5
            {worldX=38, worldY=22, posX=12, posY=124}, -- Medium house 6
            {worldX=37, worldY=22, posX=197, posY=130}, -- Small house 5
        },
        policeofficer = {
            {worldX=39, worldY=22, posX=246, posY=285}, -- Government
            {worldX=39, worldY=22, posX=72, posY=152}, -- Big house1
            {worldX=39, worldY=23, posX=206, posY=16}, -- Bank
            {worldX=39, worldY=23, posX=208, posY=49}, -- Police station
            {worldX=38, worldY=23, posX=133, posY=24}, -- Big house 2
            {worldX=38, worldY=22, posX=240, posY=277}, -- Big house 3

Just copy and paste a line while making the edits you would like. (the notes such as 'Medium house' do not matter. Only whats between { and }

Note: that the spawnpoints are broken into professions. If you want to add a spawn point for all professions; you will need to copy it into each section. I just edit the 'unemployed' and copy/paste it into each profession.

Adding new spawn regions like entire map, 'Dixie', and 'Valley Station' is a little more complicated :P

Just adding spawn points is pretty easy. The file you need to edit is in your ProjectZomboid/media/maps/(map location folder ex. West Point, KY)/spawnpoints

You will see this upon opening with Notepad:

function SpawnPoints()
    return {
        unemployed = {
            {worldX=39, worldY=22, posX=204, posY=125}, -- Medium house1
            {worldX=40, worldY=23, posX=21, posY=14}, -- Motel
            {worldX=38, worldY=23, posX=137, posY=86}, -- Small house 3
            {worldX=38, worldY=22, posX=243, posY=96}, -- Small house 4
            {worldX=38, worldY=22, posX=12, posY=124}, -- Medium house 6
            {worldX=37, worldY=22, posX=197, posY=130}, -- Small house 5
        },
        policeofficer = {
            {worldX=39, worldY=22, posX=246, posY=285}, -- Government
            {worldX=39, worldY=22, posX=72, posY=152}, -- Big house1
            {worldX=39, worldY=23, posX=206, posY=16}, -- Bank
            {worldX=39, worldY=23, posX=208, posY=49}, -- Police station
            {worldX=38, worldY=23, posX=133, posY=24}, -- Big house 2
            {worldX=38, worldY=22, posX=240, posY=277}, -- Big house 3

Just copy and paste a line while making the edits you would like. (the notes such as 'Medium house' do not matter. Only whats between { and }

Note: that the spawnpoints are broken into professions. If you want to add a spawn point for all professions; you will need to copy it into each section. I just edit the 'unemployed' and copy/paste it into each profession.

Adding new spawn regions like entire map, 'Dixie', and 'Valley Station' is a little more complicated :P

aw man it is easy i suppose, dam well thanks a bunch but you seem to have a good grasp on what your doing and i'll rather use your mod instead of doing this myself, thank you!

love this mod! it makes sandbox far more challenging :mrgreen:

but be sure to have starter pack on, i spawned in the woods and starved to death before

i could make it to town. You get more of a feeling of desperation when you are lost.

Thanks for making this mod, it's awesome!

Edit: hit post too soon >.<

• 3 weeks later...

A suggestion: delete zombies from building you spawn in? It happens often to me that I spawn and have to run instantly to save my life because there are zombies all around me.

Hey Geras,

Are you using IWBUMS 32.5 (or higher)? There was an update in 32.5 that addressed the issue of zombies being in buildings where players spawn.

Also, are you playing on MP or SP? Using a fresh SP launch each game or using a pre-existing game and loading a new character into it? This will help me track down the issue and help ya out if I'm able to. You're the first person to bring this up.

maby add another folder for downloadable map spawns?

In the next update perhaps I could include the vanilla spawn options along with my the new spawn locations as separate spawn regions. This would solve your issue I believe. Essentially you could choose Muldraugh (vanilla) and Muldraugh (expanded), etc.

I will likely update the mod once more before the new map expansion comes out. I intend to add a number of additional specific MP spawn locations so that players can have more options of spawning together in Co-op MP.

-snip-

Sorry, forgot to mention the details.

I play SP 32.6 IWBUMS.

Always a fresh game in a new world.

Hmmm... I haven't had this happen to me yet and you are the first to mention it.

I am away on vacation right now and will be home by early next week (darn it), but I'll look into reaching out to a TIS dev when I get back. I am not knowledgable on what TIS did to make sure zombies would not be in the vicinity of players when they spawn, but perhaps it only applies to the vanilla spawn points they have in game.

Which spawn region are you choosing and has this been a problem for indoor spawns as well as outdoor (vast majority of spawn points are indoors)?

Thanks for the feedback!

I think we may of misunderstand each other lol like add more spawn points to modded maps like the prison or bedford

Ah gotcha! Yeah I can probably get to work on that 'soon'. Probably best that I do before the new official map expansion hits.