Toilet water - drinkable?

Sliderpro

Seriously, I just filled water from toilet, drinked it and its ok..OHH

Suggestion - toilet water - from drinkable to tainted. 

The only drinkable water is in houses kitchen and water vending. Else - tainted.

I thought that they were tainted. Guess not. Still you can collect the water from the top of toilets that are mostly clean. Its just the bacteria in the bowl that is bad. That is what i know but i may be wrong.

Ofc its not as bad as in the bowl, but still, that water is hardly drinkable, as the top isn't being cleaned as kitchen, for example and water which stays there for a long time..just not drinkable

They've actually done a few studies in comparison and determined that the water in most fast food restaurant's toilets is cleaner than the ice from the ice machines. I'm not saying stop using the ice and start drinking from toilets, just pointing out that the majority of us probably already consume more bacteria on a regular basis than what you would get from a regularly used toilet bowl.

The key phrase, though, is "regularly used". The apocalypse offers a totally different set of problems, and the fact that the water sits for ages is one of them. If you leave a glass of water out, without contaminants, it can last pretty much indefinitely. Water from a toilet that nobody has flushed in some time, however, is a breeding ground for bacteria. We ought to have to boil water not just from the toilets, but from the sinks as well after some time has passed and the water has been shut off.

They've actually done a few studies in comparison and determined that the water in most fast food restaurant's toilets is cleaner than the ice from the ice machines. I'm not saying stop using the ice and start drinking from toilets, just pointing out that the majority of us probably already consume more bacteria on a regular basis than what you would get from a regularly used toilet bowl.

The key phrase, though, is "regularly used". The apocalypse offers a totally different set of problems, and the fact that the water sits for ages is one of them. If you leave a glass of water out, without contaminants, it can last pretty much indefinitely. Water from a toilet that nobody has flushed in some time, however, is a breeding ground for bacteria. We ought to have to boil water not just from the toilets, but from the sinks as well after some time has passed and the water has been shut off.

It really depends on the cause of infection as well. Since there is no confirmation of how it was caused water could be deadly or it could be perfectly fine. Still it seems that it doesn't travel through water so it should be fine to drink but toilets should have a chance of sickness. 

Thats my point exactly.

You just can't drink water which was in a toilet for a month and be ok. 

Thats my point exactly.

You just can't drink water which was in a toilet for a month and be ok. 

Actually, you'll probably be okay if you do just that. Even if it's contaminated your immune system will probbly take care of any microbiological threat. How do you think people not only survived but thrived before basic hygiene became popular a couple of centuries ago?

Since humans are, quite literally, full of shit, ingesting (more) human fecus is (despite its obvious ew factor) not necessarily dangerous for ones health. Which is good because due to the same fact it's probably much more common than you want to believe, even in  hygiene obsessed Western societies. It's only when you ingest specific microorganisms and parasites that shit gets real. that problems arise.

And yes, there's plenty of places where people don't have access to clean water, but even there people mostly get away with it  despite the fact that dirty drinking water is one of the biggest public health issue on this rock. Also problems typically affect people with weak immune systems, like young children. If ingesting contaminated water or food would haveten/usually result in food-poisoning etc, even in the Western World people would chronically suffer from intestinal infections.

Most people say we CAN drink water from there and be ok, because our immune system or else takes care. I m not saying we CAN'T drink water from there, but:

Regarding our game-centered thread, EVERYTHING SAID ABOVE EXACTLY POINTS "TAINTED WATER" DOES IT NOT?

As far as I know, all the toilets in the game are tank-type.  The water that are in toilet tanks are as fresh and clean as the water from your faucet.  The likelyhood of bacteria, parisites, etc, making its way from the bowl into the tank are slim to none, due to gravity, and rubbers seals and all that. They would have to go pretty far through the interior of the toilet to get there. And since the lids are on, the evaporation rate will be lower.  So, end of the day, drinking toilet tank water is far safer than drinking from say, a puddle.  [/end rant]

Toilet water is actually not that tainted, believe it or not.

Oh- don't get me wrong, I wouldn't dunk my head in one and start drinking from it, but it won't kill you unless you're drinking from an improperly cleaned public restroom. Don't get me started on the potential for staff-infection if you have an open wound.

I think it'd make more sense for some toilets to remain a water source after the water-works shut off, each one offering maybe one, or two, water bottle's worth... But due to the water-works being shut down, the water's become stagnant and therefor tainted. That'd make more sense seeing as there'd be very few people cleaning them, leading to a build-up of bacteria and... Fecal matter.