So does every hit you take pretty much equal a chance that'll you'll die? Even endgame?

TrazLander

I'm very confused about how zombie attacks work, and am very curious about the exact code involved here. The wikis don't answer this at all, and I'm not sure how to find the code involved here...

1. Is every zombie hit a chance of a punch/scratch/bite? If so, what are the percentages of each? And how do the body parts work for that, are they random?

2. According to this wiki page: http://projectzomboid.wikia.com/wiki/Zombie guard skill can limit the chance of a scratch, so can max 10 levels into guard prevent scratches? It's annoying that wiki only lists up to level 5, so I'd love to find out the values all the way up to level 10, because it doesn't seem to always be incrementing by 2. Or, with the thick skinned trait, can it prevent scratches?

3. Also on that wiki page:
> There is always a 25 percent chance of being bitten. 
 Wtf does that mean? Just some basic testing of this, there definitely isn't a 25% chance of being bitten on every zombie hit. So either that fact is entirely false, or it's missing a lot of info to it here.

-------------

I just started this game with some friends, and so far I really like it. It's kinda slow (seriously cabbages take 14 IRL hours to grow?), but it's a great survival game. But if I spent a ton of time getting to end-game, and die due to a single misclick that makes me take a single zombie hit, which ends up killing me due to pure RNG, I think that's ridiculous. I really would like to know if that's the case before I continue playing this game.

Well if zombie attacks you there is very high chance that you will get infected and die. It's after all zombie apocalypse game and zombies are main threat to character. If you don't want to die then avoid getting hit by zombie.

It's not RNG, zombie just caught you off guard and that's the consequences of it.

PZ wiki is outdated so it's very poor source of informations.

Also cabbages in real life grow in 3 months when in game it only takes like two weeks "in game time".

So right now farming is super easy and it's the main reason why endgame is so easy in current builds.

Well if zombie attacks you there is very high chance that you will get infected and die. It's after all zombie apocalypse game and zombies are main threat to character. If you don't want to die then avoid getting hit by zombie.

It's not RNG, zombie just caught you off guard and that's the consequences of it.

Getting tired of this same stupid answer everywhere I ask this >.> I'm looking for the actual math and formulas here. Not "just play better dur". And I'm wondering where I can find this information.

Well no duh, why do you think I posted here. I'll even update the wiki with the information if I can find it.

it only takes like two weeks "in game time".

Didn't want to debate this in this topic, but alright then. You see 2 weeks in game time, while I see 14 hours of my actual life dicking around while waiting for crops to grow. I'm all for realism, but I'm not sure it's a good decision to bore their players out of the game. The default game speed just seems a bit slow to me.

Getting tired of this same stupid answer everywhere I ask this >.> I'm looking for the actual math and formulas here. Not "just play better dur". And I'm wondering where I can find this information.

Last time I checked, it was a well kept secret by the devs. I guess the only way to find a reliable answer is to dive into the java source.

I'm very confused about how zombie attacks work, and am very curious about the exact code involved here. The wikis don't answer this at all, and I'm not sure how to find the code involved here...

1. Is every zombie hit a chance of a punch/scratch/bite? If so, what are the percentages of each? And how do the body parts work for that, are they random?

2. According to this wiki page: http://projectzomboid.wikia.com/wiki/Zombie guard skill can limit the chance of a scratch, so can max 10 levels into guard prevent scratches? It's annoying that wiki only lists up to level 5, so I'd love to find out the values all the way up to level 10, because it doesn't seem to always be incrementing by 2. Or, with the thick skinned trait, can it prevent scratches?

3. Also on that wiki page:

> There is always a 25 percent chance of being bitten. 

Wtf does that mean? Just some basic testing of this, there definitely isn't a 25% chance of being bitten on every zombie hit. So either that fact is entirely false, or it's missing a lot of info to it here.

-------------

I just started this game with some friends, and so far I really like it. It's kinda slow (seriously cabbages take 14 IRL hours to grow?), but it's a great survival game. But if I spent a ton of time getting to end-game, and die due to a single misclick that makes me take a single zombie hit, which ends up killing me due to pure RNG, I think that's ridiculous. I really would like to know if that's the case before I continue playing this game.

1) Punchs barely do anything, scratches have a 36% chance to infect you, and bites have 98%

2)No skills can prevent scratches or bites, it just simply reduces the chance of getting one, and thick skinned reduces the chance of a scratch/bite breaking the skin and infecting you.

Plants require very little time to keep them growing. Just watering them once in a while and that's all. You can build your safehouse, go on loot run etc while your plants grows so i don't see any problem with this. You don't need to look at your plants 24/7 :P

Also lucky trait affects in some way chance of being infected i think but i don't know exact numbers.

Plants require very little time to keep them growing. Just watering them once in a while and that's all. You can build your safehouse, go on loot run etc while your plants grows so i don't see any problem with this. You don't need to look at your plants 24/7 :P

Also lucky trait affects in some way chance of being infected i think but i don't know exact numbers.

Actually, If I remember correctly, the lucky trait doesn't affect the chance of infection or getting scratches and bites, it actually changes the loot drop rate. For example, the chance of an axe being looted in the zombie you just killed is increased.

This is the story of how you died *shrug*

This is a very, if not the most, realistic zombie game out there. Say you were in a Z apocalypse. You have a risk of dying every time you get attacked. There is no certaint math around it. It's not shitty RNG. Well it is but that's not the point. You just died, well shit. That's the game. That's what would happen IRL. :-|

This is a very, if not the most, realistic zombie game out there. Say you were in a Z apocalypse. You have a risk of dying every time you get attacked. There is no certaint math around it. It's not shitty RNG. Well it is but that's not the point. You just died, well shit. That's the game. That's what would happen IRL. :-|

This.

Eventually we will all die at the hands of a zombie, or someone who would rather us become a zombie. *cough* bandits *cough*

If you don't like it then do a sandbox game and turn off infection, that way if you die it really was your own fault.

But I can say thick skinned will most definitely reduce your chances of getting an injury from a bite or scratch. I've had thick skinned characters get pulled into a horde and push free while taking half their HP bar in damage but come out with no actual injuries.

My two cents on the actual topic ;-)

I think it actually depends on the distance the zombie is while attacking you. As I fight groups I mostly get punched. I think the scratch happens when you are in a middle range. The times I've been bitten, I had the zombie basically over my character, both the arms closing into the toon. I think they have to get really close to bit you, and you also hear a different sound (like eating chips, lol).

Its just my theory, absolutely nothing to back it up besides my own experience (which has been mostly with a toon with thick skin, by the way)

Knowing the formulas ruin the fun and defeat the purpose of "This is how you died" xD

Friendly advice: don't wait for your plant to grow at your safe house. What you should do is plant it, water it and go on an advanture to explore, meet different undead and gathering supplies.

Add a little exciement to your life by setting up a few traps.

Right, the story is how you died, even if its old age and natural causes. I see no reason to have to die from zombies. Meh, how you died tends to be short and boring, how you survived tends to be a better story anyways.  I fully intend to survive a zombie apocalypse thank you!

Despite my disagreement with the prior, the more realistic the better. If it takes 3 months in-game time to grow crops, so be it. -its not like its high maintenance or 1 hr game time = 1 hr real life - Not everyone has the patience to grow crops anyways, and that isn't the only way to survive (Foraging and fishing/traps). If its realism is that big of a problem for someone, there are plenty of options to tweak it to your time frame.

You have the power to get the answers yourself by investigating the decompilation process for Java, rather than wasting your time being frustrated at a specific reply.

You see 2 weeks in game time, while I see 14 hours of my actual life dicking around while waiting for crops to grow. I'm all for realism, but I'm not sure it's a good decision to bore their players out of the game. The default game speed just seems a bit slow to me.

Half hour days should mean this is only 7 hours of your life . . . Or around 3 if you get impatient and set it to 15 minute days. That's the beauty of customization.

Besides, there's other things you can do beside literally watch your crops grow, as Jsnazz says.

With that over with . . . let me now remind you that the primary rule on the forum is to be lovely to one another. Please try to be more polite in the future.

Here's the best answer I can give you short of diving into the java code.

Zombies can either do very minor damage to your health, scratch, or bite.

Thick skin reduces the chance for bites and scratches, reducing them to scratches or minor damage.

Blade/Blunt Guard reduces the chance for bites and scratches like thick skin (and stacks with it) when equipped with a blade/blunt weapon respectively.

Resilient reduces the chance for you to get a "zombie" infection from bites and scratches. Unknown if it affects regular infection.

No one knows exactly what lucky does, but what it does for sure is affect loot and repair rolls. Someone would have to dive into the code to know if it affects more.

So if you want optimum survival, pick Thick Skin, Resilient, and Self-Defense Class at the start.

Sorry for not having exact numbers, but its been debated quite often and people seem to get riled up when asking for them.

The times I've been bitten, I had the zombie basically over my character, both the arms closing into the toon. I think they have to get really close to bit you, and you also hear a different sound (like eating chips, lol).

The chip sound doesn't always mean a bite, as I hear it quite often if I'm not being careful, but its probably a bite being rolled down to a scratch from Thick Skin.

Well no duh, why do you think I posted here. I'll even update the wiki with the information if I can find it.

it only takes like two weeks "in game time".

Didn't want to debate this in this topic, but alright then. You see 2 weeks in game time, while I see 14 hours of my actual life dicking around while waiting for crops to grow. I'm all for realism, but I'm not sure it's a good decision to bore their players out of the game. The default game speed just seems a bit slow to me.

We live in a day and age where ignorance is a choice. Go look up how to read the java code.

btw #1 rule in asking for help is to not be a dick.

According to the code, if you're scratched the game generates a random number between 100 and 0. If you have the trait Thick Skinned, if the number falls below 12 then you get infected. If you have the trait Thin Skinned, then you get infected if the number falls below 40. By default, if the number falls below 25 then you get infected. If you have the trait Hypochondriac (referred to as Hypocondriac in the code, for some reason), if the number falls below 80 then you get "Fake Infected."

For the biting infection chance, if you're bleeding and you get bit then you're instantly infected.

The chance value (not percentage) of a zombie to attack you with a scratch or a bite is 75. If you have the trait Thick Skinned it's 85, and if you have the trait Thin Skinned it's 65.

The chance value of a zombie to bite you is always 75, and doesn't seem to be affected by any traits.

I don't think there's an actual animation to it biting you, but I could be wrong.

For the chance of a zombie to scratch you or bite you, there's two invisible dice rolled here. First, it generates a random number between 100 and 0 as always. If that number is over your base chance (as in, attack chance) then it sets the scratch variable to true, then immediately generates another random number between 100 and 0. If the second random number is above the bite chance, it sets scratch to false and thus skipping over the scratch code and biting you. If it's below the bite chance, then the zombie scratches you.

(Sorry for being vague, I wrote that part in a rush. I'll just put the percentages below)

Anyways, now for the percentages using the above values:

Attack chances

------------Default----Thick Skinned----Thin Skinned------------

25%              15%                     35%

----------------------------------------------------------------------------  

Infection chances (if scratched)

25%               12%                      40%

According to the code, if you're scratched the game generates a random number between 100 and 0. If you have the trait Thick Skinned, if the number falls below 12 then you get infected. If you have the trait Thin Skinned, then you get infected if the number falls below 40. By default, if the number falls below 25 then you get infected. If you have the trait Hypochondriac (referred to as Hypocondriac in the code, for some reason), if the number falls below 80 then you get "Fake Infected."

For the biting infection chance, if you're bleeding and you get bit then you're instantly infected.

The chance value (not percentage) of a zombie to attack you with a scratch or a bite is 75. If you have the trait Thick Skinned it's 85, and if you have the trait Thin Skinned it's 65.

The chance value of a zombie to bite you is always 75, and doesn't seem to be affected by any traits.

I don't think there's an actual animation to it biting you, but I could be wrong.

For the chance of a zombie to scratch you or bite you, there's two invisible dice rolled here. First, it generates a random number between 100 and 0 as always. If that number is over your base chance (as in, attack chance) then it sets the scratch variable to true, then immediately generates another random number between 100 and 0. If the second random number is above the bite chance, it sets scratch to false and thus skipping over the scratch code and biting you. If it's below the bite chance, then the zombie scratches you.

(Sorry for being vague, I wrote that part in a rush. I'll just put the percentages below)

Attack chances

Either some of this information is incorrect, or there is a lot of things not working properly.

Thick and thin skinned should NOT be affecting the infection chance, that should be resilient and prone to illness.

Weapon guard should be applying to chance to be bitten or scratched, and it shouldn't solely be relying on thick or thin skinned, but a combination of both (or just weapon guard if neither is present).

The automatic infection if bleeding when bitten is interesting info, IF it is correct.......but I thought all bites caused bleeding.....so what is the actual chance to survive a bite?

I know this was posted in an attempt to provide some information on mechanics, but there is no way this is correct since several factors are missing along with some unanswered numbers (mainly the chance to survive a bite).

Attack chances

Either some of this information is incorrect, or there is a lot of things not working properly.

Thick and thin skinned should NOT be affecting the infection chance, that should be resilient and prone to illness.

Weapon guard should be applying to chance to be bitten or scratched, and it shouldn't solely be relying on thick or thin skinned, but a combination of both (or just weapon guard if neither is present).

The automatic infection if bleeding when bitten is interesting info, IF it is correct.......but I thought all bites caused bleeding.....so what is the actual chance to survive a bite?

I know this was posted in an attempt to provide some information on mechanics, but there is no way this is correct since several factors are missing along with some unanswered numbers (mainly the chance to survive a bite).

I dunno, that's just what I've seen from the code. No guard skills were listed anywhere in the code, either. What I've seen is in the IsoGameCharacter, BodyDamage and BodyPart, no other class files seem to have anything else affecting this. I don't think I missed anything, but I could be wrong, so take a look if you want.

The only code piece mentioning biting and infection does not have a random chance, it applies it instantly if you're bleeding.

I could be wrong though, because I wrote that in a rush.

Well, if that IS correct, then that means there are several non-functioning elements, since what you have listed says that resilient/prone to illness does nothing, weapon guard does nothing, and bites have a zero chance of survival (which according to others there is a chance to survive).

While appreciated, this simply causes more confusion than actually clearing up how mechanics work in relation to zombie's punches/scratches/bites.

Well, if that IS correct, then that means there are several non-functioning elements, since what you have listed says that resilient/prone to illness does nothing, weapon guard does nothing, and bites have a zero chance of survival (which according to others there is a chance to survive).

While appreciated, this simply causes more confusion than actually clearing up how mechanics work in relation to zombie's punches/scratches/bites.

Well, I wouldn't say that much. This info is actually a great starting point for the devs to clarify at least if the system is working as intended. I know these mechanics are supposed to be a big mistery in the game, but as you can see there will always be someone peaking in the code, and we are supposed to be your "Alpha Testers". We'll keep it hush-hush, no worries :)

Edit: typos!

Well, I wouldn't say that much. This info is actually a great starting points for the devs to clarify at least if the system is working as intended. I know these mechanics are supposed to be a big mistery in the game, but as you can see there will always be someone picking in the code, and we are supposed to be your "Alpha Testers". We'll keep it hush-hush, no worries :)

Yeah, I can't tell if it's a bug or it's just my noobiness at coding that's showing.