Brave experience thingy

Jonas_Sieni

We have normal experience but if we would have character courage experience.

Normally when you don't have "brave" trait, and you see 2 zombies close to you, you get Slight Panic.

So here comes the story: My character has 110 zombie kills, and I went to school gym hall with my friend in multiplayer. We "dragged" 5 zombies there and my character gets Extreme Panic mood and misses almost all shots with his baseball bat.
 Just let me get this straight: Dude has killed 110 zombies with a melee weapon... But he still gets almost a hearth attack when he sees 5 zombies... Excuse me but what ?

So the idea is this: The more zombies the player kills the more he can resist panic.

Because IRL I would become more chilled around zombies if I had already killed 110 of them...

The math could go like this: (let's just think that 2 zombies nearby gives the slight panic.)

zomb.png

How many zombies thing means that how many zombies there must be for a Slight Panic effect to occur.

Or it could be exponential growth or what ever... This is just an example....

Because again I don't think that anyone on this planet would be afraid of 2 zombies after they have killed 110 or even 200 zombies...

AFAIK there is a similar system implemented but it does not work (unfortunately) with the amount of zombies killed but with time survived. There were no exact numbers posted or anything.

Anyway: I'd like to see something like this working with kill count.

On my latest game I survived for 3 months, killed around 2000 zombies and my character was still freaking out at mere sight of a zombie and got extremely panicked when there was more than 5 of them.

Like silents said, panic needs an overhaul. Currently, it is a broken mess that works in a really weird way. Personally, I don't think it has any effect on melee combat, I only started using beta blockers when I started clearing out big areas that had tons of zombies using pistol and shotgun and there panic causes the character to not be able to hit a broad side of a fking barn at point blank range.

I was expecting to get a Desensitized trait at some point because, seriously, I painted half of Muldraugh red and went to bed afterwards like nothing happened but nope, 3 months into a zombie apocalypse, 2000 zombies killed and my character is still panicking as if he never saw blood in his life.

I don't think I've ever gotten past the first level of panic when facing down a horde with pistol or blade. Though I agree that zombies probably shouldn't cause panic as the player becomes more experienced.

Fortunately, as mentioned above, that system is supposed to be in now. That it doesn't work as intended is a disappointment, but let's not get carried away here, guys.

Like silents said, panic needs an overhaul. Currently, it is a broken mess that works in a really weird way. Personally, I don't think it has any effect on melee combat, I only started using beta blockers when I started clearing out big areas that had tons of zombies using pistol and shotgun and there panic causes the character to not be able to hit a broad side of a fking barn at point blank range.

Your to-hit chance is more complex than just "panic = miss."

Your to-hit chance is more complex than just "panic = miss."

Uh, I've been playing PZ long enough to know that. But it is the thing that has the most effect on whether or not I'll hit or miss. I didn't try to shoot zombies with Aiming level 0, but even at level 4-5 trying to shoot while panicked is straight up wasting ammunition.

Without Panic I get 90% hits most of the time, with Panic I can maybe get 30% hits and since I only ever use guns to kill big hordes, extreme panic is almost always an issue. But I have Beta Blockers which completely erase that issue so, whatever I guess.

Killing hundreds of zombies could make you desensitized but I'm sure it could also cause all sorts of other mental health problems. I'm not an expert on this so I don't really know what negative effects this would have? But I'm sure it would mess you up.

The effects of zombies wouldn't. The effects of being alone would for -some- people.

Realistically if we were to have some mental issues early on it would be the stages of grief over the apocalypse, but unfortunately this game doesn't start you at the beginning of the apocalypse so it wouldn't make sense that your guy is just now coming to grips with what happened. But I can say zombies, killing zombies, killing bandits etc. Wouldn't mess you up as much as you think, because a lot of mental issues usually conflict with what is considered normal, and at this point that is all normal for survivors to be doing, so you wouldn't view it as a problem and think you are insane.

Killing hundreds of zombies could make you desensitized but I'm sure it could also cause all sorts of other mental health problems. I'm not an expert on this so I don't really know what negative effects this would have? But I'm sure it would mess you up.

The effects of zombies wouldn't. The effects of being alone would for -some- people.

Realistically if we were to have some mental issues early on it would be the stages of grief over the apocalypse, but unfortunately this game doesn't start you at the beginning of the apocalypse so it wouldn't make sense that your guy is just now coming to grips with what happened. But I can say zombies, killing zombies, killing bandits etc. Wouldn't mess you up as much as you think, because a lot of mental issues usually conflict with what is considered normal, and at this point that is all normal for survivors to be doing, so you wouldn't view it as a problem and think you are insane.

Except that for most of your existence, this wouldn't have been considered the norm. Thus, you're going up against your entire wealth of experience when mauling bandits (whom happen to be people) and zombies (whom happened to be people, once).

Regardless of the machismo and show Hollywood has made of war and killing in general, for everyone but psychopaths, killing never gets easy. Ever. The fiction of carelessly murdering people left and right without a shred of care is just that- fiction. People without severe pre-existing mental disorders don't just become heartless killers because they're in a rough situation

As this is a computer game and it's meant to be fun and rewarding to play, I wouldn't mind a system in place that allows you to become desensitized overtime. Although I think it could be interesting to have some negative effects come with it.

Anxiety, easy to anger, restless sleeper, depression, loss of social skills, crazy stare???

Regardless of the machismo and show Hollywood has made of war and killing in general, for everyone but psychopaths, killing never gets easy. Ever. The fiction of carelessly murdering people left and right without a shred of care is just that- fiction. People without severe pre-existing mental disorders don't just become heartless killers because they're in a rough situation

But if you think. Murdering people of your kind brings mental stuff. But would you feel sorry for a zombie? Who is trying to kill you. Who has not been human for a long time.

Someone said here about normal and un-normal stuff. People are born as racist (everything what is not normal is a threat), so normally person would not feel connection between him/her and the zombie, and in the same time would not regret or feel sorry.

But I'm not saying that there will not be any consequenses, I'm just saying that whatever mental issues there may develope aren't so massive due the stuff above.

But if you think. Murdering people of your kind brings mental stuff. But would you feel sorry for a zombie? Who is trying to kill you. Who has not been human for a long time.

Someone said here about normal and un-normal stuff. People are born as racist (everything what is not normal is a threat), so normally person would not feel connection between him/her and the zombie, and in the same time would not regret or feel sorry.

But I'm not saying that there will not be any consequenses, I'm just saying that whatever mental issues there may develope aren't so massive due the stuff above.

People are traumatized by constant exposure to life or death situations, regardless of whether they empathize with the enemy they're fighting or not.

Kill your zombie friends, family, neighbours and co-workers is going to seriously affect most people. We don't really know what zombies are? But at some point they were somebody.

They look, sound and move like people. I feel like it would be hard not to associate them with people.

This is a pretty perspective-heavy topic, to be honest. Personally, I prefer it being based with time and exposure. Becoming desensitized by seeing, experiencing, and tuning-out the apocalyptic world around you.

I can't imagine your first, or second, or even third kill being the milestone that makes you into a braver soul. Some people don't handle combat very well, period - see; Pacifist trait. But even those people might become more level-headed when faced with a horde chasing after them if they've been around for a year.

As far as trauma goes... -And this is a long-shot suggestion. But I can see characters suffering from night terrors or acquiring the Insomnia perk if constantly exposed to Zeds on a day-to-day basis.

While I don't deny a psychological response to everything that happens trauma only forms if you are unable to find a way of coping, its when you can't cope and the stress continues to overwhelm you causing trauma.

Fun fact if you experience a big enough trauma during or before puberty you have a high chance of becoming a psychopath.

While I don't deny a psychological response to everything that happens trauma only forms if you are unable to find a way of coping, its when you can't cope and the stress continues to overwhelm you causing trauma.

Fun fact if you experience a big enough trauma during or before puberty you have a high chance of becoming a psychopath.

I can see that working hand-in-hand with circumstances that causes a character to be in a state of high panic for long enough. Longer lasting effects caused by extremely stressful scenarios that either hinder sleep, cause shock, or just renders your character essentially crippled from an emotional/psychological stand-point. I wouldn't want this to become something overly burdening, of course.

Just some basic thing what came to my mind about this matter:

Every person is born as a racist, it has been confirmed in "baby studies". So everything different is a threat and harming one who is different is okay. But our overall education shapes us to what we are.

What I learned when I went to GB: One time in GB (year 1700?). There were family who ate other people they kidnapped, and in that case I don't believe they felt sorry for what they did. And in that family there were 2 kids who ate other people too, and I'm pretty sure they weren't born as "psychopath killers", and I think they valued their family and so on (what makes them not psychopaths).

What I'm trying to say is that your education/upbringing you get from your family shapes you a lot. So it is possible that your upbringing blocks you from eating carrots cause it's murder.

So it's up to your education/upbringing how you react to zombie or how you react if you would kill one.

And your mental status has effect too, if you are angry to whatever is against you, you are less likely to feel sorry for them.

And again if someone attacks you and is trying to kill you by any means and wouldn't stop untill you or it dies, what would you do? And if you would kill it, would you feel guilty?

This is that kind of thing where is no correct or false answers, because these are personal opinions based on your morals. (which radiates from your education/upbringing)

Did not spell check, did in a hurry.