More uses for bleach?

Jonas_Sieni

Bleach has currently only one use: being a drink.

According to wikipedia and science tv-shows bleach is very effective as bacteria- and as a virus killer (cell killer)

I suggest that: You could use bleach to clean wounds, and because bleach is very violent cleaner it could be used to lower the change of infection (by 20-50%) in the first (5-10) minutes after being scratched or bitten.

But negative effect should be enormous pain.

I atleast think that would be somewhat realistic because bleach is strong cell killer.

And as a another suggestion bound to this is: You could fill water bottles with bleach and use them in same purpose as Bottle of disinfectant. Except it contain bleach and is stronger than disinfectant, and can't be used to sterilize rags etc.

Feel free to add something and comment.

Have you ever tried cleaning a wound with bleach or any other alkaline product? It bought a tear to my eye, just getting a minuscule amount in contact with a fresh tiny scratch - and that was not even deep enough to draw blood.

If I recall correctly, the Safety Data Sheets at work state highly alkaline products will not only kill bacteria in a wound, but also kill the new reparative cells, resulting in a slower heal and higher chance of scar tissue forming. A highly dilute solution will kill most bacteria, with minimal negative effects (though it will still hurt like heck!).

It is not a recommended method for cleaning wounds, and the use of 'ordinary' household bleach can be more harmful than useful - particularly if it's scented or 'thick' bleach.

Dilute bleach solutions are great for sterilization, but not so great if ingested or used on open wounds.

I don't know if your average person would know to dilute, or by how much to dilute their bleach before using on open wounds, and would probably do more harm than good to themselves in an apocalypse situation.

So sure, you could use bleach to clean your fresh wound, and reduce the chance of zombification. But you're probably just as likely to give yourself a slow-healing festering wound, especially if you're using enough bleach to eliminate the infection!

Have you ever tried cleaning a wound with bleach or any other alkaline product? It bought a tear to my eye, just getting a minuscule amount in contact with a fresh tiny scratch - and that was not even deep enough to draw blood.

If I recall correctly, the Safety Data Sheets at work state highly alkaline products will not only kill bacteria in a wound, but also kill the new reparative cells, resulting in a slower heal and higher chance of scar tissue forming. A highly dilute solution will kill most bacteria, with minimal negative effects (though it will still hurt like heck!).

It is not a recommended method for cleaning wounds, and the use of 'ordinary' household bleach can be more harmful than useful - particularly if it's scented or 'thick' bleach.

Dilute bleach solutions are great for sterilization, but not so great if ingested or used on open wounds.

I don't know if your average person would know to dilute, or by how much to dilute their bleach before using on open wounds, and would probably do more harm than good to themselves in an apocalypse situation.

So sure, you could use bleach to clean your fresh wound, and reduce the chance of zombification. But you're probably just as likely to give yourself a slow-healing festering wound, especially if you're using enough bleach to eliminate the infection!

Would it be reasonable to believe a doctor would know how to do that?

Then you could tie it to a perk that only the doctor has.

But why would you? If they said no to curing zombification I don't think they will let anything ingame reduce the chances.

But why would you? If they said no to curing zombification I don't think they will let anything ingame reduce the chances.

According to sirtwiggy, there already is: Cleaning and bandaging the wound QUICKLY is reducing the chance of infection. I have not verified this by code, but twiggy is one of those "usually well informed sources".

Also, even if we're not talking about the zombification, "normal" infection is still there.

According to sirtwiggy, there already is: Cleaning and bandaging the wound QUICKLY is reducing the chance of infection. I have not verified this by code, but twiggy is one of those "usually well informed sources".

Also, even if we're not talking about the zombification, "normal" infection is still there.

I think he means normal infections. I don't recall anything to lower zombie infection chances at all.

But even still why bother using bleach when it has downsides, when just bandaging and cleaning a wound like a normal person has no downsides?

Bleach still needs a better use anyway. Blood is annoying but its able to be dealt with. Bleach is one of those items only needed for suicide late game or cleaning. I could use a 3rd use but i am drawing a blank here.

Why does it need a 3rd use, it isn't some critical or important item. It's a cleaning product and does just that.