Snow/Rain/Fog/Ambience

RichCoconut

Simply put, it would be pretty neat to see more visual weather effects/ambience other than just rain and thunder. I think these would be great and I have complied a list below of the effects.

Snow/Blizzard

Description: Basically what rain is, except it's white dots of snow falling to the ground. If the weather is more harsh, then a blizzard will occur which will have greater effects on the player.

Effects on Player: Same effects already put in when it snows, if a blizzard, the player will feels these effects even more.

Visual Effects: White dots of snow, if blizzard, more dense pieces of snow falling.

Fog

Description: Fog is pretty much what might occur after a thunderstorm/rain, or randomly during the seasons/months.

Effects on Player: Reduced sight (Not as bad as night time, but perhaps 15-30% of that) and the chance of slight panic/anxious if your outside for too long.

Visual Effects: Transparent grey visual with a slow, creepy animation.

Ambience

Description: Basically just more ambience to bring the place to life. Perhaps some trees could drop leaves and those said leaves could be seen blowing throughout the city. Some items such as Newspapers, Papers, various garbage, etc. should also blow in the wind. Would be nice to see some of the tall grass have an animation even if it's subtle of some weather occurring. 

Let's hear some wind blowing if its thunder storming or if it's a bad storm, let's see more visuals of the wind blowing water on the roads (if it isn't too much, if so, its fine.)

Effects on Player: A more immersive experience.

Visual Effects: Self-explanitory. 

I believe little touches like this can really give a heartbeat to a beautiful game such as Project Zomboid. 

Tell me whatcha think! :-)

I think it would be a nice addition to the game.

Just probably a low priority for developers - and possibly fog (and leaves from trees) would require some game engine tweaking.

PS. Maybe blizzards and thunderstorms should have some slim chance to damage constructions and player planted crops?

I think it would be a nice addition to the game.

Just probably a low priority for developers - and possibly fog (and leaves from trees) would require some game engine tweaking.

PS. Maybe blizzards and thunderstorms should have some slim chance to damage constructions and player planted crops?

Yes! Like barricades and fortifications. If the weather is too harsh it will damage it slightly over time.

Which should then in turn let you be able to repair fortifications.

As a heads up, Snow makes it nearly impossible for player names to be read.  Not sure if that's for effect or whatever, but 

It doesn't really, snow a lot in Kentucky to warrant the effort of putting in blizzards. Maybe light snowfall but this isn't the North or something.

^^^ has a point.

Not being able to see the roads is a fine hinderance, so if it is for effect: it's a little overboard on player name visibility for the amount of snow that Kentucky ever sees.  Basically, would be nice to just toss a thin stroke on player names for those awkward bright white blind spots...

Unless they are implementing different cities from the US or other parts of the world, it will still be nice to see all four seasons.

I've never seen it rain so much on some servers and my school is literally around the corner from KY and we barely had any rain IRL. 

If we're going by real world climate in the area, then that's fine and understandable. If not, would love to see some other elements. :-)

Unless they are implementing different cities from the US or other parts of the world, it will still be nice to see all four seasons.

I've never seen it rain so much on some servers and my school is literally around the corner from KY and we barely had any rain IRL. 

If we're going by real world climate in the area, then that's fine and understandable. If not, would love to see some other elements. :-)

It was the goal to make it as close to real life as possible, which is why the map is a carbon copy of the area.

It was the goal to make it as close to real life as possible, which is why the map is a carbon copy of the area.

Then disregard that element. 

Anything that adds to the immersion automatically gets my thumbs up, and it helps that I adore foggy weather.

As Silent stated, blizzards aren't too common in the area PZ is based in, but I would like to see maybe one or two added weather effects.

Exactly! Let's add to the depth of the immersion! At least a fog and maybe cloudy skies? Kinda like how they show the rain but a loop of clouds on your screen.

• 5 months later...

The idea of fog has clouded my mind for some time, too. Wondering what it could be like in the game I painted over a screenshot from the internet:

809fcc-1446227000.jpg

cd7bd2-1446227966.jpg

It is only a rough sketch and I didn't use transparency since i don't know if it is supported. I basically used a simple filter in order to create a "roof" 1 tile over the surface, I'm sure the wonderful Zomboid-artists could create something visually more appealing :)

Gameplay-wise fog would create a creepy athmosphere i can imagine, because you don't have overview over the area anymore, zombies could sneak up on you easier.

As mentioned in the original post, fog could occur after rain and in my opinion in the mornings, too.