Makeshift roof

Trojan_Turps

Sometimes I would like to live in a hut in the woods. But I can't because I just get wet because I'm not a high level carpenter.

I understand the reasons behind needing to be a high level carpenter to build stairs. I also don't want to talk about ladders here.

I want to be able to craft a makeshift roof. A roof that I can build above my head that is not load bearing. It would keep the rain off but if somehow you try and walk on it you fall through and break yourself.

There would need to be some sort of game mechanic that stops people from making silly floating roofs. (I'm not sure how hard that would be?)

I'm thinking something like-

Tree branches + twigs = makeshift roof

This would also help clean up some of the mess made by chopping down lots of trees.

I feel you should be able to make a basic rain collector with a plastic bag and a few planks but it give less and collects less efficiently. Tarps could also be pretty handy. It would also be cool if you could use it like a gutter drain to funnel more water to a rain barrel. That or have it run off a roof near a rain collector. It would be a 2 in one. Still it wouldn't cover that big of an area. Possibly a 2x2 area or a 1x1. Still a basic rain protecting shelter isn't that hard to make.

• 5 weeks later...

I really like the lean-to idea. Or some other foragable/craftable shelter?

I shouldn't have to be carpentry level 6 to be able to put some sort of shelter over my head. Building stairs so that I can construct a 2nd level floor and tying a tarp between some trees or building a lean-to are not on the same level.

We can make log walls with no skills at all. If I can do that, I think I should be able to build a simple lean-to to get out of the rain.

Maybe if you have either +1 foraging (you find all the right length branches) or +1 carpentry (you broke the branches into the right size) you can build it? I'd be happy with that.

Cool thread... I've only been playing for a week or so now and I like to find a safe place in the woods , setup a tent and a campfire and rough it so to speak... the only problem with all of this is what you just mentioned especially when it starts to rain like heck... there is no way of staying dry =(

If anything I'd like to see and option of "Enter Tent" where your character will just enter the tent and keep himself dry, right clicky again and the option of "Exit Tent" will appear ... end of story! Saves the level 6 staircases so to speak lol 

All of your Ideas are great, I'd love to just be able to enter and exit the damned tent!!! lol 

Rock on Survivors!