Idea: generators

Roach

If someone is up for the challenge:

++Make a generator that generates energy through a wind or gas turbine.

+ Make new rare parts for them that will have to be scavanged.

+HARDCORE+ Make it connectable to a nearby fridge.

++HARDCORE++ Add new constructable items such as lamps or killing fans that can be linked to the generator.

Good luck.

• 1 month later...

I like both of these ideas. Solar, wind and gas energy. The challenge would be plugging other items into the generator, and depending on where you placed the generator, would make the need to craft a fridge and sorts too. A little beyond realism there. None of the current professions would really have that kind of knowledge. NOW, being able to set the generator beside a house and the entire house gets powered, there ya go. The generator would make noise, lots of it, and therefore draw hordes your way. Hell, even out at the farm a generator may draw the zombies to you. BUT, this game isn't likely ever going to be survivable indefinitely. This is how you died. I'd almost prefer to let the power fail. In a real life situation, you're going to have a safehouse with said generator already hooked up, but this game randomly spawn you in a house that isn't your established safehouse—you have to find one. It'd be awesome to add a house or farm with a generator already a part of it, like the farm has a well, but to be able to craft a generator goes outside the limits of realism for me personally.

Generators and other electricity related stuff is planned. In the long term the devs hope to create something resembling Minecraft's redstone system where you can connect various components to power sources and have them do things.

No thats not an example its a generator and extension cords this is not minecraft dammit.

Generators and other electricity related stuff is planned. In the long term the devs hope to create something resembling Minecraft's redstone system where you can connect various components to power sources and have them do things.

No thats not an example its a generator and extension cords this is not minecraft dammit.

Not sure what's going on here, but it displeases me.

Please, be nice.

Please, be nice.

Sorry but im tired of all the "minecraft" talk i hear from the freshmen and sophomores all day at school

Please, be nice.

Sorry but im tired of all the "minecraft" talk i hear from the freshmen and sophomores all day at school

"something resembling Minecraft's redstone system" doesn't imply turning PZ into Minecraft. Resembling, as in, you can do similar things with it, such as "connect various components to power sources and have them do things".

More concretely, quoting Lemmy from a previous Mondoid:

Well I’m very excited about a lot, But one thing in particular that we’ve chatted about a lot yet said relatively little about publicly is the electronic / trap system we have planned, which is a natural extension of the current crafting system. We’ve talked a lot about creating a kinda UI circuit board system, where you could drag and drop components from your inventory, and connect them together with wires. Inventory items could be de-constructed into base objects that could be used on these boards.

The best example would be, for example, grabbing an automatic security light and dismantling it to get some wires, a battery, a light and a movement sensor. You could then dismantle a fire alarm to get wires, a battery and a alarm speaker. You could then connect these components up to create a movement based alarm system. With the existing base crafting we would like to allow for wires to be placed along walls, and connected to various systems, to allow for players to create all manner of traps and gizmos to help secure their safehouse. Or imagine just getting a fire alarm, getting rid of the fire sensor and replacing it with a radio receiver, to make a remote noise maker you could trigger with a walkie talkie to help lead zombies away from your safehouse. Once this system is in place we could build and build upon it, adding more and more components to allow for a lot of creativity.

This would be Zomboid’s redstone, and we don’t need to tell anyone how many exciting doors this kinda thing opens up to players.

Please, be nice.

I am pretty sure that the redstone idea resembles the wiremod for garry's mod. Boolean circuits were not invented by Notch and the concept had existed previously, how would this turn the game into minecraft?

Uh I don't know where you got that bit of info, but Generators are planned but an electricity system like Minecraft at all was never once mentioned by the devs.

I personally hope they don't. More items powered by electricity yes, and obviously a way to connect them, but I don't see the Minecraft in it.

Uh I don't know where you got that bit of info, but Generators are planned but an electricity system like Minecraft at all was never once mentioned by the devs.

I personally hope they don't. More items powered by electricity yes, and obviously a way to connect them, but I don't see the Minecraft in it.

Mondoid, 21 Oct, 2013 Or in other words APZDTISA II

Lemmy: Well I’m very excited about a lot, But one thing in particular that we’ve chatted about a lot yet said relatively little about publicly is the electronic / trap system we have planned, which is a natural extension of the current crafting system. We’ve talked a lot about creating a kinda UI circuit board system, where you could drag and drop components from your inventory, and connect them together with wires. Inventory items could be de-constructed into base objects that could be used on these boards.

The best example would be, for example, grabbing an automatic security light and dismantling it to get some wires, a battery, a light and a movement sensor. You could then dismantle a fire alarm to get wires, a battery and a alarm speaker. You could then connect these components up to create a movement based alarm system. With the existing base crafting we would like to allow for wires to be placed along walls, and connected to various systems, to allow for players to create all manner of traps and gizmos to help secure their safehouse. Or imagine just getting a fire alarm, getting rid of the fire sensor and replacing it with a radio receiver, to make a remote noise maker you could trigger with a walkie talkie to help lead zombies away from your safehouse. Once this system is in place we could build and build upon it, adding more and more components to allow for a lot of creativity.

This would be Zomboid’s redstone, and we don’t need to tell anyone how many exciting doors this kinda thing opens up to players.

Already mentioned this in another post, but, crafting your own generator isn't too hard. It's just coils of wire, some magnets, and a method of making one spin around another. Now, actually making it reliable, or producing DC instead of AC current... That's really damn fiddley. That said, muscle, wind, hydro and fossil power? Just need to connect it to the spinny bits of the generator. Wabam. Done.

Oh duh, forgot.

I wish people used less "minecraft" or "Redstone" when talking about PZ though, I get this image of seeing red powder lines in my home.

And if someone makes a generator they don't make that much damn noise e_e

My step dad has a gas one, you wouldn't hear it if you were a block away, its quieter then a lawn mower.
The catch of course being you need gas to keep it going. Does this seem reasonable to everyone? We don't need to drag Wind and Solar energy into this. Gas operated generators are bought by consumers and i see it being likely to find them in peoples garages.

Generators may not be noisy IRL, but a blance is needed... im not saying a genny should atract all the cadavers, but it should still be a good dinner bell.

Also, gennys can break, and this means repairing or moving on!

And on that gas : It is possible, if you burn wood carefully it generates a small set off gass thats combustable, you jut need a way to collect said gas and a good deal of wood!

Also, generators can be powerful, but thats only because our IRL gennys probably have all the fuel they need... A small amount of innefficient fuel can create "some" power...

Though you can allways try and store said electricity in a battery (car battery) - this lets you save up for a rainy day or save up eough to actually have any affect on the lights at all...

And who said you cant directly hook a genny up to a specific appliance?! instead of having all the lights waste power, just get the stove running!

And lastly it is possible to use a component in a vehical (im undure of its name) to convert mchanical energy into electricity (a windmill powering the convertor will make some trickles of power)

any how, i ironically had a similar idea to the OP and thus looking around some you can find my post on the topic (and thus how i think you can blanace the idea of "generators" and permanent survival)

Generators may not be noisy IRL, but a blance is needed... im not saying a genny should atract all the cadavers, but it should still be a good dinner bell.

Also, gennys can break, and this means repairing or moving on!

And on that gas : It is possible, if you burn wood carefully it generates a small set off gass thats combustable, you jut need a way to collect said gas and a good deal of wood!

Also, generators can be powerful, but thats only because our IRL gennys probably have all the fuel they need... A small amount of innefficient fuel can create "some" power...

Though you can allways try and store said electricity in a battery (car battery) - this lets you save up for a rainy day or save up eough to actually have any affect on the lights at all...

And who said you cant directly hook a genny up to a specific appliance?! instead of having all the lights waste power, just get the stove running!

And lastly it is possible to use a component in a vehical (im undure of its name) to convert mchanical energy into electricity (a windmill powering the convertor will make some trickles of power)

any how, i ironically had a similar idea to the OP and thus looking around some you can find my post on the topic (and thus how i think you can blanace the idea of "generators" and permanent survival)

There already is a balance, It requires fuel to run, and that stuff isn't common, meaning you can't have it running all the time. Obviously if zombies are the next house over its reasonable they hear something, but thats it. It should be anymore of a matter of just clearing a couple zombies outside and having that be it.

Well i guess if the gnerator gives a building power then it is reasonable to balance with scarce fuel >

Also i looked around and realised gennys can be quiet and damn loud.. so thats probably just a difficulty factor?

(say for instance in sandbox?)

By default it can be soft but not whispering-soft, players should feel free to tweak this by their own accord as they can tweak the other stats (food spawn, zombie population etc)

Though deciding on a defualt for survival mode is another story...

Anyhow, the idea that there is "some-way" to get temporary electricity is a great idea, stockpiling gas cans early game can make a world of difference.. but even that gas can be made to not be permanant and thus it is simply a worked for extension on time before power-cut which is pretty reasonable?

Solar panels ARE an option, but because you can barely power a light with a commercial sized panel setup its pretty unreasonable unless your character knows what they are doing...

Panels are fragile, houses with panels already built may be uncommon and moving panels is a ton of work...

But the plus side is to be able to have constant lighting, or a way to slowly gather power into a storage medium in hopes it will let you have "some" few minutes of true electricity? - though this is highly unlikely -

Plus, you need to keep panels clean IRL, though PZ isnt a "absolutely" realistic game, so such a balance should only be added if you need it...

otherwise, gennys are cool... :P

There are no homes with solar panels in Muldraugh or West point.

Generators can be very quiet, until your near them. I walk to a walgreens and a small brick shed building, is a few yards from the sidewalk and you can hear the generator inside, but only if your near it.