XP and Level Up Balance

apg504

I've been keeping a close eye on the level up system and the way XP increases with time and felt it needed a bit of balancing. Feel free to argue the points;

1) XP should increase faster. At the moment I'm getting to a point where I have loads of skills waiting to increase a level but I'm struggling to gather enough XP for a new level. Obviously the choice of skills we select should be tactical but I would have to survive for years at the moment to get a skill to level 10.

2) Some skills will never max out because there is simply not enough stuff available to achieve that. There's very little glue/tape etc. for maintenance for example. I don't think there's enough bullets to get gun skills up either. Perhaps the amount of XP per level or acquired through practice should be addressed to solve this. I don't expect to get every skill to level 10 however, just felt the process could be made easier in some cases.

3) Skills from professions should be balanced a bit better. I find the accuracy of the police officer/veteran with pistols to be too low, so perhaps they should have a greater level of that skill at the start? The carpenter isn't very good at carpentry either; he should be able to make most things straight away really. I wouldn't hire a chippy that couldn't build basic stuff!

4) The traits and abilities are already really good but I think some balancing of the numbers amongst them would help. If I'm choosing unemployed and giving them skills like first aid or carpentry it has to be worth it in balance with the negative traits that seriously affect the suvivors chances. With ten levels of skill to achieve and the current XP balance I'm not sure if it's worth it at the moment

Interested to see what others think...

I tend to agree with most of what you said. Specifically.

1)Totally agree. While I understand that profession should point you toward a path of survival that would emphasize your pre-apocalypse career, I feel this system is just too restrictive right now. A non-carpenter for example, maybe a police officer that doesn't even know how to hold a hammer would just have to improvise, getting experience in the process. I mean, it's not that difficult to build a wooden wall... maybe we should have "basic" versions of the higher tier carpentry buildings available to almost anyone... and they should help your character to develop his/her carpentry skill far more than, for example, barricading does right now.

2)Agree on this one aswell. Firearms, in particular. Grab all the ammunition and weapons you can find in Knox County, fire all that rounds into hordes of zombies, and you'll still need thousands of bullets to get half-decent with a pistol, for example. Successful kills and hits should vastly add to your experience with firearms, I think. Like... at least 10 xp for successful hit?

3)Agree. A carpenter with all possible picks for his/her profession. including handy, isn't able to build, let's say, stairs. I really wouldn't hire such a bad carpenter, not even if I had to fix a simple doghouse. The primary choice, the profession one, should add much, much more XP levels to our characters.

4)Unemployed is really hard to level up, I agree. Since you start with no major bonuses and you have to survive while you slowly level your carpenter/farming/everything else, I'd say an overhaul would really be beneficial. Maybe a flat-out bonus for unemployed characters in random skills? I mean, I may be unemployed, but that doesn't make me a total inept at everything I choose to do. 

There's very little glue/tape etc. for maintenance for example.

Maintenance skills gain XP as the weapon you are using loses durability, and reduces the chance of the weapon to lose durability per level. Repairing is based on the Carpentry skill and has nothing to do with Maintenance.

I d really want to see DEVS answers.. 

Btw I think that unemploed is mostly intended for those, whose gamestyle didn't fit into existing "professions" profiles, like mine. 

I d like a profession with carpentry, foraging and blade weapons...you know, kinda hard to get all that.. :D

So unemploed isn't that bad, but this should imo give +10, not +8 points.

Thats offtopic though/..

• 7 years later...

My two cents.  PZ lover.

I think this game will benefit largely from a small to moderate xp gain rate boost, and reading speed boost in MP (SP is fine since you can speed up time).

XP gain boost to 2.5X to start for balancing tests.  

I understand what the devs and players love about slow skill progression, but there is a better balance that can be struck here to encourage more players to stick with the game after taking on a character death and being faced with starting over their grind.  (Especially if their character died in a silly way, which happens as we all know.)

MP reading rates increased just keeps friends playing together instead of one having to effectively go AFK for a full night to read a book.  Breaks the flow of coop, and again I feel this discourages players from playing this awesome game.  People can learn to get over death, but having to get "used" to boredom isn't something that makes this game better.

Fix these two things, and this gem gets way way better in my humble opinion.

My two cents for what they're worth.

Sincerely,

me. :)

On 4/28/2015 at 8:10 PM, Sliderpro said:

So unemploed isn't that bad, but this should imo give +10, not +8 points.

You can edit that in one of the server files... so I would think also somewhere in sandbox settings for singe player?

Reading speed can be configured too in MP, but I for myself would be so much happier to see a fastforward option.

A configurable general XP boost (per skill) would be awesome! Because all the grinding sometimes really annoys me.