Latest Mondoid on "tripping"

silents429

"On top of this panicked or clumsy survivors will soon find themselves tripping over when running, turning corners and vaulting fences at high speeds – as well as scrambling along the floor trying to get back to their feet. This will all be done with animation driven movement, and should make for some really exciting gameplay moments"

I am going to write this. Then reorganize it. Then rewrite this. So hopefully this isn't a mess of words.

Edit- Holy crap much support, I feel bad this is terribly worded.

Now. I always thought it was widely accepted that taking control away from the player was a bad thing. We have had tripping discussions before only for the majority to agree we wouldn't want something to take control out of us, to let the game decide if we should live or die. From my understanding it was bad game design and would take away from the games immersion. I know they are trying to make it not a huge deal by allowing you to quickly fumble up or whatever. But this can still end a game pretty easily.

So I am going to attempt to collect a list of reasons why I am against this. That way if anyone wants to add to this they can just quote one or more of whichever to respond too.

1. Takes from the immersion for a lot of people.

Let's be honest. How often do you trip? Like ever? It isn't that common. And as a survivor in the apocalypse you are only going to get stronger and more athletic as time goes on further reducing your chances of ever falling, your senses are going to be enhanced and while I am hoping they know not to make it so you just topple over while running down a road which in a panic. I honestly can't think of a way this isn't just going to be that one mechanic in the game. Yes it is immersion breaking for panic to cause you to trip, why? Because unless you have a panic attack the only thing panicking is doing is making you run your ass out of where ever you are much faster then usual, it invokes an adrenaline rush which is going to heighten your senses.

2. A gameplay mechanic that adds nothing.

This is a game where when you die, it is your fault, it is your story, you learn from your death and try again. Adding in a random factor to something like this is going to just be a thing for people to blame instead of themselves. And yes this will come to shock but no one wants to die in this game just because they fell, it isn't fulfilling all it does is induce rage. And while we can say don't pick the clumsy trait or be in a panicked, well that can't really be helped. All this mechanic does is serve to annoy you and tell you the killed you, not yourself.

3. Panic is poorly done.

The panic moodle is so implemented poorly at the moment, you can't really prevent something like this without downing a bottle of pills or simply never encountering zombies. Every person in the world handles panic differently some people can keep calm in a thick of things, others cry in the corner, and many more just get afraid. Why would it be reasonable to assume someone becomes clumsy when afraid? Fear isn't going to make you imbalanced, it is going to affect your logic and reasoning, it is going to make you louder and run faster, and the problem is people associate running faster with falling down, or we assume panic is like the TV cliche where the character never looks forward, sounds louder then a jet engiine, breathes heavier then your neighbors wife, and can't stand up and run like a human.

If we are basing this game off real life and gameplay, this mechanic fits neither on. This doesn't fit with real life fear (panic) and this isn't a gameplay mechanic that adds anything other then a big F you from the game when it kills you off.

4. Adding this means rebalance the clumsy trait.

When this change occurs the clumsy trait is going to be a death sentence worth +2.

Your guy not only risks tripping, but he is going to be loud when moving around. Far from worth it. I can't say much for this, but adding 2 major downers to 1 trait and making it worth so little is problematic to me, and wrecks a trait that wasn't that bad.

5. Can lead down a bad road in the future.

Adding a gameplay mechanic like this is going to be a changer to the game and to the community and any future implementations. I saw a thread where since we have this mechanic coming they deemed it a good idea to make your character actually freeze up sometimes, or have your character run around in terror occasionally, if they are in panic.

I am worried because adding more ideas like this, and taking more from the player is going to turn the games gameplay into something that will get old real fast, it won't be about how good you are just how lucky you got with the games coding.

Overall. I probably will do anything in my power to disable the code for this next patch for my own play. And I am in full doubt anything I saw will change anything, they got the code in and animations no reason to waste it at this point. But all I can really say is they best change how panic works and make it something manageable to make tripping as in the players control as they can. Because I refuse to accept that the badass I spent an in game year creating has a chance of simply falling over and dieing is not my idea of good game design or fun, and I won't look at the game as fair, just annoying.

I think this is a great mechanic, particularly for those of us who find the game too easy, and you said it yourself, just avoid the clumsy trait... Anyway, I like the idea because have you ever broken out running in terror or excitement faster than you've ever run before? I have, and the scars on my knees can tell you better than anything that running out of nowhere past your speed limit coupled with emotion does sometimes result in a massive trip and fall or tumble. Or maybe I'm just clumsy irl (although I haven't tripped for awhile now), which I think would give me reason to talk about this if I am clumsy.

Breaking immersion? Come on.. it's perfect! I would like to see more things happen when your character is panicked because as of right now all that happens is that your character swings his gun around at everything BUT anything that is A FOOT AWAY from you and somehow turns an axe or a spiked baseball bat into a plastic knife or spoon. Tell me how that doesn't break immersion, using any guys in this game is not worth it anymore because you can rarely hit anything which counts it out for using against hordes. It's especially bad with the shotgun when panicked. JUST BECAUSE I'M SCARED DOESN'T MEAN MY SHOTGUN DOES LESS DAMAGE DAEFF??! you can't even kill anything with a shotgun when injured or scared... trust me. Anyway, back on topic. I think there are many options as to how panic can affect your character. I think anger should have a similar "take away control" effect when NPC's are added. Like if an NPC pisses you off beyond comprehension you do what some of us do irl which is lose complete control of your body and your brain and instincts just drive you, doing random stuff, good or bad (stole the idea from Hardtime: Prison Sim, don't judge).

I could maybe see this attached to clumsy if it gets bumped to a 6 or 8 point trait, but just because a character hit panic state? I've never in my life broken out into a run just because I'm afraid, or tripped and fallen just because I was afraid. The ONLY way I could see this happening is if a character is surrounded by a sea of zombies and spinning around rapidly to shoot them, then yes, the combination of panic plus the disorientation from spinning around so quickly could easily result in them taking a tumble and having a hard time getting back to their feet.

By the same token, the brave trait should nullify the whole "trip and fall" thing from panic. And since desensitized prevents panic entirely....well, you know.

Traits like graceful and gymnast should also prevent tripping and falling whether you're in panic mode or not. Might make them actually worth using.

I think that the tripping thing is very exciting!

1. How often do you trip?

Simply running over rough ground would make you trip. Things like long grass, curbs and rubbish would make things hard. Then add panic, the dark and zombies.

Also people fall over all the time in zombie movies and that's what the games trying to be like!?

2. I want to die because I tripped over. I want to fear the horde, not just run off. Tripping over will make you panic when It happens. This can only be a good thing. It probably won't happen very time you try and run when panicking anyway.

3. The panic system could be better. I don't like how quickly it goes away and the gun stuff could be different.

4. Clumsy trait would need changing but alot of the traits are going to be changed anyway.

5. Leads down a bad road....

I think it leads down a good road. The devs know that people don't like losing control but they are still putting this in the game because they are sticking to their vision of what the game should be. PZ is great because the devs are doing things differently to all the other teams making zombie games right now! Don't stop them by judging a feature before you have tried it. Tripping might be great... It might be crap...

But I'm just happy that it's being tested.

Adding a gameplay mechanic like this is going to be a changer to the game and to the community and any future implementations. I saw a thread where since we have this mechanic coming they deemed it a good idea to make your character actually freeze up sometimes, or have your character run around in terror occasionally, if they are in panic.

These kind of suggestions have been around since the dawn of time.

I'm all for tripping, I don't see how that takes control away from the player : you're free to pay attention to what you're doing not to trip, don't walk backward while you're panicky, mind the crawlers grabbing your ankles in the high grass, don't run mindlessly in the rain, level up your nimble skill if you want to run & climb stuff safely etc...

It does add something : more danger & stress. Why would you be against it if it adds nothing ?

It would actually be more immersive, as long as it's not too frequent.

I used to hate the idea of tripping but as time's gone on I've started to see how it could benefits the game.

Firstly: if it's avoidable (i.e. it's not the random falling over that many people have suggested in the past), then I don't really have a problem with it because looking where one is going and managing one's panic should both be an important element of the game. If panic will causes problems then maybe people will start to care about it.

Secondly: it sounds as though it'll be a minor setback rather than a fall-on-your-arse-and-slowly-get-back-up type thing. The post talks about how survivors will be "scrambling along the floor trying to get back to their feet". To me this implies that survivors will stumble, possibly slow down a bit but keep moving fairly fast whilst trying to get back up at the same time. The zombies in this game don't even move very fast so if you get caught, even with stumbling, it's hardly the game's fault.

Finally: it would add to the whole living through a zombie film feel that it sounds as though NPCs will add. If you were running away from a horde (because you decided to make zombies into sprinters for some reason) and one of your mates stumbled and eaten that'd be cool because that's exactly the type of thing that happens to stir up drama in zombie films.

1)    As long as I don't trip for no reason, then I am ok with tripping. I am fine with being extremely panicked, over-burdened, exhausted, not looking where I am going, the dark, or surfaces being wet causing my character to trip. If I take the time to make sure that I am in a good state for fighting/running, then I don't think I should trip. But, if I am careless about the scenario (its wet out, dark, or im exhausted from being overburdened) then I look at that as my fault for being in that situation and I need to accept the consequences for my decisions. I understand that you can't say that 100% of the time you won't trip, but if you take the time to be careful, then the chances of tripping should be greatly reduced. In my normal, non-panicked, not running around like a madman life, I haven't tripped in a long long time (years). I did fall down my stairs recently though because it was dark and I was drunk!

2)    Panic could use some tweaking. I admit I don't have any great suggestions, but maybe panic should be more scenario based (noises in the dark, being caught in the rain, random gunshots) and not just based on the number of zombies around.

3)   What about a dizzy moodle? Lets face it; anyone who survives for more than a few days in this game spends alot of time with the 'sneak/charge' button held down and spinning around scanning their surroundings. That much spinning would cause havoc on our sense of balance with the fluid in our inner ears and would cause spatial disorientation/dizziness. Tripping while dizzy makes a lot of sense to me. I challenge anyone to go outside with a baseball bat cocked and ready to swing, spin around in circles while walking in a general direction, and see what happens. Please set up a video camera first though and share it on YouTube, cause I bet it is going to be good for a laugh :)

I think this would be a great mechanic... if added and handled with great care. Taking away control from the player, even for a brief moment, can make sense in sporadic occasions, having a character tripping everytime his panic level is higher than X would be... uhm, quite a deal breaker. For me, at least.

It really hurts me to agree with Silents.

Am fine with stuff backed up by the game mechanics, generally, rather than just random (as many have suggested in the past) but this seems to straddle that intangible line for me.

On the other hand . . . I want to see the cool animation. :-|

I'm confident they know what they're doing if we consider they're position on the matter in the past :)

some good points being made in here, a few i disagree with vehemently...but so be it.

here is what i know, if i actually lose a long lived character because he tripped while trying to get away from something he should have been trying to avoid...if i'm doing things the way we should by avoiding the confrontation and i trip, and pay the price for doing that....the Rage Quit will be real. and second thoughts would creep into my head instantly about trying again.

I think this is a great mechanic, particularly for those of us who find the game too easy, and you said it yourself, just avoid the clumsy trait... Anyway, I like the idea because have you ever broken out running in terror or excitement faster than you've ever run before? I have, and the scars on my knees can tell you better than anything that running out of nowhere past your speed limit coupled with emotion does sometimes result in a massive trip and fall or tumble. Or maybe I'm just clumsy irl (although I haven't tripped for awhile now), which I think would give me reason to talk about this if I am clumsy.

Breaking immersion? Come on.. it's perfect! I would like to see more things happen when your character is panicked because as of right now all that happens is that your character swings his gun around at everything BUT anything that is A FOOT AWAY from you and somehow turns an axe or a spiked baseball bat into a plastic knife or spoon. Tell me how that doesn't break immersion, using any guys in this game is not worth it anymore because you can rarely hit anything which counts it out for using against hordes. It's especially bad with the shotgun when panicked. JUST BECAUSE I'M SCARED DOESN'T MEAN MY SHOTGUN DOES LESS DAMAGE DAEFF??! you can't even kill anything with a shotgun when injured or scared... trust me. Anyway, back on topic. I think there are many options as to how panic can affect your character. I think anger should have a similar "take away control" effect when NPC's are added. Like if an NPC pisses you off beyond comprehension you do what some of us do irl which is lose complete control of your body and your brain and instincts just drive you, doing random stuff, good or bad (stole the idea from Hardtime: Prison Sim, don't judge).

I shall reply to you first.

Now I understand some people actually do trip, the point I was I guess poorly communicated but that not everyone does this, I would go as far as to say most people get to a point where they never really trip. I mean we have walked almost our entire lives constantly why would we essentially be throwing that out the window because of getting scared? Not to say it doesn't happen to some people but most people can't fathom how it becomes hard to just run, and I know I am not the only one to think when watching horror movies "Run bitch run!" Fear doesn't cause your senses to plummet or any agility of any kind.

For immersion. This is a problem with the panic trait. It needs to be changed to something that works out better, as I said make your character much louder, run a tad faster, and reduce your healing affects a bit. If you are injured already it might even make the injury worse but you won't feel the pain from it right away. But can you imagine in a game like Bioshock 2 having your guy just topple over randomly? Things like that work great in a cutscene for immersion but this game isn't suppose to be a cinematic experience it is suppose to be a story of how you died.

I think that the tripping thing is very exciting!

1. How often do you trip?

Simply running over rough ground would make you trip. Things like long grass, curbs and rubbish would make things hard. Then add panic, the dark and zombies.

Also people fall over all the time in zombie movies and that's what the games trying to be like!?

2. I want to die because I tripped over. I want to fear the horde, not just run off. Tripping over will make you panic when It happens. This can only be a good thing. It probably won't happen very time you try and run when panicking anyway.

3. The panic system could be better. I don't like how quickly it goes away and the gun stuff could be different.

4. Clumsy trait would need changing but alot of the traits are going to be changed anyway.

5. Leads down a bad road....

I think it leads down a good road. The devs know that people don't like losing control but they are still putting this in the game because they are sticking to their vision of what the game should be. PZ is great because the devs are doing things differently to all the other teams making zombie games right now! Don't stop them by judging a feature before you have tried it. Tripping might be great... It might be crap...

But I'm just happy that it's being tested.

1. Exciting? I guess? I can't really comment I know the risk would be interesting to have hanging over me but the once you do fall it isn't exciting you just got your ass handed to the horde by the game and their was nothing you could do about it. That is rage inducing and annoying not exciting. And no the game bases its lore on the movies but not what happens in those movies, we base it off of realism not if they managed to secure all those military weapons in a small rural town why can't we do that in project zomboid?

2. You want to fear the horde, not have an unstoppable risk to force you to fear it. This is a separate problem entirely the horde needs to be a threat outside of just making a player fall randomly when running from them. You can say you want to die now but the day you have a decent game going and you are doing your best and being careful only to have your guy get jumped by a zombie in the closet then topple over and get bit, Your computer is going to be thrown across the room, and you won't be thinking about how exciting it was just how dumb that was. You won't have to acknowledged you messed up just say the game did.

3. Adding a tremble to guns when your heart rate is increasing is not inaccurate at all. Accuracy if anything shouldn't be as low as it is now. But other affects added to it as I mentioned in my post above.

4. Considering they already did the trait overhaul I am not sure why you think that.

5. You must have a distorted view on what the game is about. It is about your survival story and me personally that doesn't involve falling over to my doom, it is meant to be a hard game but a fair game, when you die now you are meant to see the mistake you made. Adding in a feature like this is going to destroy that. And while I have some faith if they do add this into the game it might be added in a way that isn't obnoxious it does still pave a road for other problematic additions in the future.

These kind of suggestions have been around since the dawn of time.

I'm all for tripping, I don't see how that takes control away from the player : you're free to pay attention to what you're doing not to trip, don't walk backward while you're panicky, mind the crawlers grabbing your ankles in the high grass, don't run mindlessly in the rain, level up your nimble skill if you want to run & climb stuff safely etc...

It does add something : more danger & stress. Why would you be against it if it adds nothing ?

Right but now those suggestions are able to get a foundation to stand on.

I don't think you understand what taking control from the player is if you don't see how tripping is taking control from the player. It is doing a character action you didn't tell him to do. Unless you told your character to fall over for some reason then it is just taking control.

The freedom you are describing when it comes to not tripping isn't going to be in the game, and just makes the mechanic more tedious, not dangerous. You are in danger of falling and dieing yes, but this isn't the kind of dangerous the rest of the game displays that makes it actually fun.

This is when we hit the line between Gameplay and Realism.

It would be more immersive to force us to wash clothes, bathe daily, brush our teeth, go to the bathroom etc. But why the hell would we want to do that? It doesn't add anything, and adds a bit of danger to your game giving a chance to be jumped while doing such things.

But I hope you see why things like that are bad and why a similar wasted mechanic is also bad. It really does add nothing to the game but it is still going to be noticeable and annoying to deal with, with no fun attached and in the end this is a video game and our enjoyment is important.

I used to hate the idea of tripping but as time's gone on I've started to see how it could benefits the game.

Firstly: if it's avoidable (i.e. it's not the random falling over that many people have suggested in the past), then I don't really have a problem with it because looking where one is going and managing one's panic should both be an important element of the game. If panic will causes problems then maybe people will start to care about it.

Secondly: it sounds as though it'll be a minor setback rather than a fall-on-your-arse-and-slowly-get-back-up type thing. The post talks about how survivors will be "scrambling along the floor trying to get back to their feet". To me this implies that survivors will stumble, possibly slow down a bit but keep moving fairly fast whilst trying to get back up at the same time. The zombies in this game don't even move very fast so if you get caught, even with stumbling, it's hardly the game's fault.

Finally: it would add to the whole living through a zombie film feel that it sounds as though NPCs will add. If you were running away from a horde (because you decided to make zombies into sprinters for some reason) and one of your mates stumbled and eaten that'd be cool because that's exactly the type of thing that happens to stir up drama in zombie films.

1. Unfortunately with how it is described it will just be a random element to the game. I am seeing a trend here where people want panic to matter but we need to actually go a different direction then what tripping is. Right now from what they said we have a chance to fumble over when in a panic or if we have a clumsy trait. so it is a random based event that you have no real control over.

2. Maybe not a problem if you see a horde in the distance, but what about in close quarters? I know I am not the only one to jump occasionally when a zombie is right outside a door, or inside a closet etc. You trip and fall their it takes a split second for them to chomp or bite you. Then it becomes far more problematic.

3. But this isn't a movie, the game isn't suppose to be based on what happens on TV it is based on how things work in real life. People don't topple over when running from something, they don't turn around constantly to look at what is chasing them, they don't scream while running. Tripping in movies and shows is just a cheap way of adding any drama or tension to the what the viewer is watching, and that is fine in a film but not in a game that was priding itself on being punishing to anything the player did wrong.

1) As long as I don't trip for no reason, then I am ok with tripping. I am fine with being extremely panicked, over-burdened, exhausted, not looking where I am going, the dark, or surfaces being wet causing my character to trip. If I take the time to make sure that I am in a good state for fighting/running, then I don't think I should trip. But, if I am careless about the scenario (its wet out, dark, or im exhausted from being overburdened) then I look at that as my fault for being in that situation and I need to accept the consequences for my decisions. I understand that you can't say that 100% of the time you won't trip, but if you take the time to be careful, then the chances of tripping should be greatly reduced. In my normal, non-panicked, not running around like a madman life, I haven't tripped in a long long time (years). I did fall down my stairs recently though because it was dark and I was drunk!

2) Panic could use some tweaking. I admit I don't have any great suggestions, but maybe panic should be more scenario based (noises in the dark, being caught in the rain, random gunshots) and not just based on the number of zombies around.

3) What about a dizzy moodle? Lets face it; anyone who survives for more than a few days in this game spends alot of time with the 'sneak/charge' button held down and spinning around scanning their surroundings. That much spinning would cause havoc on our sense of balance with the fluid in our inner ears and would cause spatial disorientation/dizziness. Tripping while dizzy makes a lot of sense to me. I challenge anyone to go outside with a baseball bat cocked and ready to swing, spin around in circles while walking in a general direction, and see what happens. Please set up a video camera first though and share it on YouTube, cause I bet it is going to be good for a laugh :)

1. The way described in my post which quotes the article they made means it will occur randomly when you have a clumsy trait or panic moodle. So it will be random.

2. Panic really needs an overhaul and you made a few good ideas with scenarios though I don't see rain ever causing someone to panic.

3. Well hopefully you were joking with this one, this is just how the sneaking and combat work, they encourage the cautious approach, it would be backwards to punish you for doing what you are suppose to do.

some good points being made in here, a few i disagree with vehemently...but so be it.

here is what i know, if i actually lose a long lived character because he tripped while trying to get away from something he should have been trying to avoid...if i'm doing things the way we should by avoiding the confrontation and i trip, and pay the price for doing that....the Rage Quit will be real. and second thoughts would creep into my head instantly about trying again.

Check a house, remember those times where you open a door to find a zombie waiting for you and it lunges at you and that loud ass jump scare sound plays? Imagine tripping at that moment. It was unavoidable and the zombie has plenty of time to bite/scratch you now.

Check a house, remember those times where you open a door to find a zombie waiting for you and it lunges at you and that loud ass jump scare sound plays? Imagine tripping at that moment. It was unavoidable and the zombie has plenty of time to bite/scratch you now.

yeah? and? (i turn the sounds down to 1 or 2, so don't remember the sound that well...but i get the idea)

that has nothing to do with what i wrote. in the case you describe, logically, we would never open a door all the way without first cracking it an inch or two to peak in first. most likely with one foot or leg behind the door to provide a way to keep the door from getting slammed open by anything in the room.

for clarity, i'll say it again. if i see a potential confrontation with a horde or rival NPC, and wind up getting killed by the NPC or eaten by the horde when i was doing nothing more than trying to avoid the problem by turning around and moving away from it....that i have a real problem with

The crawling/scrambling along the ground makes this a tolerable game mechanic for me. Will have to reserve final judgement for when I've seen it for myself, but if it works like I'm thinking it'll work than I can put up with it. It might even be enjoyable once I get used to it.

So long as tripping doesn't arrest forward movement completely, I am content.

I would love to see a zombie fall on top of or otherwise tackle a prone survivor, though. Could add in some struggling animations where the survivor tries to fight off the zombie on top of them. Would be so awesome and could add some really tense moments.

yeah? and? (i turn the sounds down to 1 or 2, so don't remember the sound that well...but i get the idea)

that has nothing to do with what i wrote. in the case you describe, logically, we would never open a door all the way without first cracking it an inch or two to peak in first. most likely with one foot or leg behind the door to provide a way to keep the door from getting slammed open by anything in the room.

for clarity, i'll say it again. if i see a potential confrontation with a horde or rival NPC, and wind up getting killed by the NPC or eaten by the horde when i was doing nothing more than trying to avoid the problem by turning around and moving away from it....that i have a real problem with

You mentioned avoiding it, but you can't really avoid the confrontations in homes, no way to crack open a door and peak inside. And you have a chance of falling if the panic moodle is in affect or you have the clumsy trait.

@silents429

Just give tripping a chance. it can't be all that bad. you never know you might just like it. i imagine most of the animations that they add will just be visual. tripping might just slow you down a bit, if your really close to a horde then you deserve to trip over and die.

the whole point of tripping is that it is an action that you are not in control of. its a very minor element to the game that will probably be more visual than physical. yeah it might get you killed on a rare occasion but you have to die somehow. the game needs more ways to die at the moment. after the first week of surviving things start to get a bit boring.... thats not a problem as long as they keep adding little things to keep us on our toes :)

i might be in the minority but i like losing control. when i'm in control i can just be really safe. too safe! i normally die because i get bored and do stupid stuff to get my self killed. thats not because i'm really good at the game but because i know the basics of the game. at some point the game needs to start pushing you towards your death. it needs to do this gently with out raining flaming zombies on you... tripping is a good start in my opinion.

when you learn how tripping works you wont die from it. DON'T PANIC about it :P

am i right in thinking that you believe that this game is based on reality???? seriously? i can only assume i have misunderstood you........  

I'm not a 14 year old kid! i will not smash up my computer because i died playing a game thats all about me dying!?!? 

And I honeslty think the impact on character control won't be much harsher than having a drunk character for exemple. It's "control loss" for a very short amount of time, not complete "control removal". I think you're making too big of a deal out of it, have some thrust in the devs :)

Just give tripping a chance. it can't be all that bad. you never know you might just like it. i imagine most of the animations that they add will just be visual. tripping might just slow you down a bit, if your really close to a horde then you deserve to trip over and die.

I don't really accept the you won't know until you try idea. The problems I am detailing aren't just from not trying it out they would still apply regardless. The game dictating when you should trip is a bad idea.

the whole point of tripping is that it is an action that you are not in control of. its a very minor element to the game that will probably be more visual than physical. yeah it might get you killed on a rare occasion but you have to die somehow. the game needs more ways to die at the moment. after the first week of surviving things start to get a bit boring.... thats not a problem as long as they keep adding little things to keep us on our toes :)

It isn't a minor event it is a shift in the gameplay, and any future gameplay changes, Most peoples reasons for having these in is either trying to make panic better or trying to make the game kill you. These are problems that don't require tripping to be added they have a whole slew of other changes that can be done to make panic better or the game harder.

i might be in the minority but i like losing control. when i'm in control i can just be really safe. too safe! i normally die because i get bored and do stupid stuff to get my self killed. thats not because i'm really good at the game but because i know the basics of the game. at some point the game needs to start pushing you towards your death. it needs to do this gently with out raining flaming zombies on you... tripping is a good start in my opinion.

No. You really are the minority. Tripping is not the way to push you towards death, NPC's and Lemmy's supposedly "Operation Fix Late" changes are going to make it this way. We don't need an RNG mechanic to make the game hard.

when you learn how tripping works you wont die from it. DON'T PANIC about it :P

am i right in thinking that you believe that this game is based on reality???? seriously? i can only assume i have misunderstood you........

I'm not a 14 year old kid! i will not smash up my computer because i died playing a game thats all about me dying!?!?

I don't understand, I have in my thread at the top a quote from them on how this will work, are you not reading it? You can't just avoid it, you can't learn how it works and stop it. You WILL have a chance of tripping when you are clumsy or have the panic moodle, This can occur when running, hopping fences at high speeds, or taking corners. You can't prevent these unless you plan to walk away from all the zombie encounters you have.

The last 2 lines I am not sure if you are trying to irritate me, but excessive???!??!????? Is just obnoxious to read and unneeded.

am i right in thinking that you believe that this game is based on reality???? seriously? i can only assume i have misunderstood you........ z

No you didn't misunderstand me, go ahead and read like. Any thread suggestion, any new addition. The current game etc. Taking out the zombie apocalypse factor in this, the entire game is aiming to be as realistic as possible without sacrificing the gameplay. And I don't know why you have yet to see this when in a dozen instances the devs will even admit to the realism goals.

As if 14 year olds and smashing computers are mutually exclusive.

Or for some reason you think anyone who ever says they are going to smash their keyboard isn't just using colorful wording to help them express what they are trying to say. But take it serious if you want.

I'd like for this mechanic to trigger when running through hordes of a zombie gets a hand on you. It's MUCH more reasonable and would actually directly correlate to a bad choice on the part of the player rather than an unavoidable RNG machine "screw you."

I wouldn't mind it so much then but I thought the Zombies already grabbed and slowed your guy down if you were to run through or next to a horde in grabbing range.

If were talking about a major fall then i think there should probably be a reason. if its just a visual trip and stagger kind of thing i don't mind when it happens...

We are talking about you falling down, the getting to your feet. It will be done in haste but will slow your character down by a few precious seconds still. And you have no control over it.

And I honeslty think the impact on character control won't be much harsher than having a drunk character for exemple. It's "control loss" for a very short amount of time, not complete "control removal". I think you're making too big of a deal out of it, have some thrust in the devs :)

I don't know if being drunk in the game currently but past versions just reversed the controls. Making it difficult to control but. Still giving you control over your character.

I have no fear, the devs have done a rather excellent job so far :)

I haven't witnessed a trainwreck from them yet, but I don't think this is a feature that had any real demand.