Guns, Injuries and more!

Axelyoder12

Hello everyone! you may remember me a few years back posting some ideas, it was a pretty popular thread, well i'm back with new ideas. Here we go!

Respectful constructive criticism is appreciated!

New game mechanics and medical issues!

They're big, they're bad, and they can either help you to a great base, or lead you into your ultimate demise. Here's some game mechanics that i think should be added, and why:

Renaming weapons: Have you ever wanted a gun named after you? Well today is your lucky day! In this feature you'd be enabled to rename guns and melee weapons, but unless you put a note next to it in a container saying "I AM HEAVY WEAPONS GUY, AND THIS IS MY WEAPON", others won't see the name as its a personal name.

Reduced accuracy during night: Typically, if you go outside in day with a gun, and shoot a target, you'll do well. If you go outside at midnight without any lights, and try to shoot a target, especially a moving one, you won't do very well.

Chronic pains: Sometimes, if you break a bone, or lose a large piece of your body, e.g. your hand or arm, It may mess with your body, to a point where you'll get chronic pains. Today, surgeries are available to correct this, except for ghost pains, but in the zombie apocalypse, the only surgery you can get with great success is your disembowelment via zombies. They sure love them intestines!

Bone breaks that pierce the skin: Generally, this happens when the bone is entirely broken and the bone is moved out of place, and goes into the skin. If its sharp, it cuts it open, and causes incredible agony.

Readable newspapers and pre-made journals: Although the devs won't add a starting time before the apocalypse, or while its happening, (at least not yet, they're full of surprises) this doesn't mean there's no backstory, or can't be! In order to help this, there should be readable newspapers and pre-made journals by other survivors, which can be taken from NPCs and their bases, or zombies you've killed. This would go very well with the new TV and Radio stations they're putting in soon, and NPCs could talk about it too!

Weapons causing impaired turning: If you're holding a large gun, or something like a sledgehammer, you're gonna turn slightly slower than you would without it. In this case, a lighter gun, like a pistol or SMG would mean faster turning, and a bigger gun, like a large rifle or machine gun (which i highly doubt would be added) 

Dislocations: If you carry a very heavy load, or move a joint in a way its not supposed to move, sometimes it'll pop out of place. This will cause some pretty nasty pain and will need to be popped back into place. There are some tricks to pop a joint back in, depending on where it is, But if you throw out your back or pop your hip out of place, well, just hope you're not in a horde of zombies, and the next guy that finds you won't kill you.

Guns, guns, guns!

Guns, oh guns, the lifeblood of video games. Here's some that would make a good addition to the game, in my opinion, and a reason why:

Semi-Auto AR-15: Yes, maybe it could be counted as "overpowered", but its a simple AR-15, semi auto, heck, maybe even with 20 round mag, plus they're pretty common! I think it would be good to bring at least one assault rifle, low powered at least, to the game.

Potato cannon/Squirt gun: Why not? When you run out of bullets and melee weapons, use water and plants!

Different type rifles, most older style, like M14s or M24s: They'd give a better variety to the guns alone, and give a more realistic feeling to it, but i could imagine them being rare.

SMGs, Typically, smaller/weaker ones, like an MP7 20 round or an MP5k: This will give a new weapon variety, next to the AR-15, and other assault rifles if they're added, that may or may not be more common, and although would have a faster firing rate, they'd have more recoil and less accuracy, and they're low powered, since they use 9mm, and some 45. ACP.

I'll explain more spawns for these in the new locations in this thread, so keep reading!

New weapon accessories:

Foregrip: Reduces recoil and muzzle climb. Gives a more solid grip on the weapon. Can be broken if using a plastic foregrip while panicked.

Tactical Flashlight: Pretty self explanatory.

Heavy barrel: A heavier variant of your current barrel, depending on the weapon. Reduces muzzle climb and improves overall accuracy.

Retractable stock: Reduces carry weight and improves mobility. can increase or reduce recoil depending on skill with guns.

Ergonomic grip: Reduces recoil. Increased comfort while using gun.

Lighted sights: increased accuracy during night.

Perhaps someone can mod in things like suppressors and what not if they haven't already, although the devs won't add it, it'd still be a great addition imo.  (clyde)

New locations!

Fort Knox: Yes i know this sounds a bit far-fetched, but i looked at muldraugh on google earth to compare it to the in game version, and i noticed, fort knox is right there (yes, i didn't know where it was, but i knew it was in kentucky), So it could be implemented in the game as a major military location, and yes, they're all dead. 

A military base, big or small, square or round: No zombie apocalypse is complete without a lootable military base. This, and Ft. knox, could be the house to a wide variety of weapons, including assault rifles, battle rifles, sniper rifles, SMGs, ect. And yes, they'd be a hotspot for hordes since generally when a zombie apocalypse happens, people are gonna run to the military for protection, which in this case, ultimately failed.

Butcher's shops: A major place for all sorts of meats, with the exception of restaurants having them, but restaurants are overrated these days. When i was playing PZ once, we survived off  of meat for five days!

no, not really, but still, a butchery.

Factories: Do you ever go to a warehouse and think "I wonder who put that there..." .....no? just me? Well, here's the solution: Factories! Although there wouldn't be many of them, a few would do a lot of good, and be a good place for finding, well, whatever they once produced or manufactured. Maybe a gun factory, to give parts for guns? *hint hint*

Different types of animals, for when they're added.

Here's some ideas:

Horses: Tamed and/or tamable, they're a great method of transportation, but can be kinda loud, and can panic and run away, get sick, and all that bad stuff. Plus, you may want to ensure yours isn't eaten by a horde near a destroyed tank, which you'll have to crawl into to survive.

oh i'm clever at references

Dogs, but more in depth, different breeds and their unique skills: Some dog breeds have their own skills, most into which they were bred for. Lets talk about some of those:

Golden retrievers: Well, its in their name. They find animals, and bring them to you. They're also great fetch players!

German Sheppards and Pitbulls: Strong and loyal, these dogs will always win the fight! ... providing its a 1v1 situation.

Chihuahuas: Great lapdogs! They're very nice and comforting, and can help if you're in pain or panicked/stressed, or just bored, you can play with them! But they don't fight too well, but they can bark as a warning of intruders, like all the other dogs, but still!

Coyotes: I know this isn't a "Dog" technically, but it sort of is. These guys can be found somewhat deep into the woods, and tend to come in packs, but this is uncommon due to hunting and now the zombie threat. They can tend a pretty big threat anyways, as wolves can easily run you down and maul you, and can give you rabies if you survive. But maybe not... who knows?

Now for other animals:

Bears: Typically alone, and live deeeeeeep in the woods, they're incredibly strong and pretty fast, and unless you play dead, the probability of surviving is practically zero. But they're pretty big, so you would probably kill them before they kill you... hopefully.

Snakes: They live in the woods, and some in the suburbs, and can be deadly, or just an annoyance. There are all types of snakes, and some can be poisonous, but they make some good eatin!

The rest i would recommend would already be added, like deer and other such hunting animals, or don't live in that part of the country, so.

Next: Zombies. Now you may be thinking "But aaaaxeeeellll, they won't put in any different zombies except for crawlers!" Yep, i know that, but they never said anything on where they can be! What i'd like to talk about today is where they can be, and how it can affect you, the survivor. Now, generally, you can find zombies in houses locked in a place like a bathroom or bedroom, and typically, when you don't see anything, you go in. But, what if they weren't just standing around? I think it would be a good idea to allow zombies to spawn, or be put into things like Dressers and showers, or stuffed in a fairly large cabinet or crate, and under the furniture, especially. Now although this used to be a feature, but seemed a bit of an annoyance to be mauled by an opponent you can't see, so my plan to resolve this, is have them be more visible, and have an option to look under furniture, or reinstate the option to move them. Generally, zombies are sloppy creatures, they don't have the intelligence to hide well or camo themselves, so the best they can do to hide under a bed is lay down however they may be, and chill out there for awhile. In turn, you can probably see an arm or a leg sticking out from under the bed, which is a telltale sign that you're not alone here. So, next time you loot a house and think you might spend the night, look under the beds and couches, they might be waiting for you.

And now, our second to last topic for this post. In this, i'd like to talk about realism, even more in depth. Although i'd put up an argument saying that guns and ammo are incredibly common, ect, that would get rid of the challenge quite a bit. so, instead, we're gonna talk about your character. You're character is a survivor, one of the last humans possibly on earth, but what happens if hes not really what he seems? I think it would be a good idea to add different mental disorders, like Paranoia or OCD, which can affect your mood. This can add a ton more realism to the players and NPCs alike, and forge even better personalities for the characters.

And for the last suggestion, NPC traits and what not

Now, when i say traits, you may think like the traits you pick when you make a new character. Now, partially, yes, but not only that, but some jobs and current occupations and what not. Here's some:

The Vet (animal vet, that is): Although he can't help people too much in first aid, he specializes in treating animals, like horses,dogs, cats, ect.

The Convict: When the apocalypse started, everything went to hell pretty quickly, and in the midst of this, he/she was able to escape his confinement, and go out to this new, hellish world. But what was he convicted of, and how will it affect your group? Was he a murderer, a thief, or worse...? Now to explain further as requested, There would be a specific set of the criminals most likely, and they'd have their own trait sets to follow, including the possibility of one or two unrelated skills. For example, Thieves would have lightfooted and other skills to help them remain undetected, while Murderers would have slightly more strength and speed, but aren't very mentally stable.

And yes, there's going to be all the other ones, like the ex-military, the doctor, the cop, the firefighter, the construction worker, ect.

Plus, with the NPCs would come with a moral system, based on leadership and current situations, and if moral gets too low, or you just have a bad mix of survivors, well, just hope things don't go too badly, and keep your pistol with you. Loaded.

Well, that's about it for now, i'll probably update this or post another suggestion thread if i get some better ideas, and i hope these would be taken in consideration by the devs, these are things i'd love to see in the game! And yes, i know NPCs and animals and what not are already being added. Again, respectful, constructive criticism is appreciated. Tell me what you guys think and what you'd like to see the comments. Have a good day/night/apocalypse everyone!

A few quick notes. More specific guns is a no go. Maybe a revolver could happen but it's not going to get as specific as you're wishing. The devs have said their word on that. Also RJ didn't want to add suppressors due to many reasons told in many threads. You can search them for why.

Fort Knox is planned or at least the devs want to add that. A military presence is something they've been planning for a long time, it'll happen if they have enough resources, aka time and money.

I like the butcher's shop, it'd be a fun addition imo. There's actually already a sort of factory here. It's marked as a warehouse, but I've always thought of it more as a factory of some sorts.

Infected animals is also a confirmed no by the devs. It doesn't fit their thinking of the lore. I think they're going to go with the animals die when infected as with Max Brooks lore.

Crawlers used to spawn "under" beds (they were conceiled by the bed sprite) at one point and personally I thought it was hilarious, but many people thought it was annoying as hell to have your great save ruined by an enemy you couldn't see or know that was there.

Mental health has had many conversations and in the times of the old forums lemmy had said that it'd be interesting to have people with drug addictions etc. The idea might have been tossed since then though. Mental disorders are definitely interesting in a zombie apocalypse, but I'm not sure they fit the average joe thingy. I look at it as the other side of the coin compared to rare professions like blacksmiths etc.

And from that we get to your professions ideas, which I think, with the exception of the vet, fall into that category. I think they'd be too rare occupations to add to the game. The convict could be a maybe, but we already have a burglar... A convict is too far from a single proffesion imo. I mean a convict can be as you said a murderer, a tax fraud, a pot dealer or anything in between so it's quite a large generalization. How would one add traits to that?

As a hint, but this is just my opinion, you could form better and deeper discussions on your subjects if you first search what has already been said about them. Also it's generally a good idea to have one discussion per subject to get more input on it. You can also necro post on old threads, if you feel like you have something to add to those conversations. :)

Also, nice to see less active forumites return and share ideas after a long time. It really shows that the game has enough interest to keep a lot more people than just the active community members coming back to the game.

Last, if you can't find any of the older threads I can try and search for them and give you links on what's already been said about these ideas on other topics. :)

Welcome back! :P(clyde)

Thank you everyone for your opinions, I however was not aware that some of these ideas were a confirmed yes/no by the devs, as i've only recently started reading the mondoids and what not for the much newer builds, which im super hyped about. I'll switch a few things around and go further into depth on some subjects here in a moment, i just wanted to try to keep this short and sweet so its not a giant word-wall.