Dangerous Animals

Arturius

You are cutting trees deep in the forest and a sudden roar fills the air. Next thing you see is a bear closing on you.

You are foraging in a glade and a hissing sound alerts you to a nearby snake, ready to inject poison into your veins.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What do you fellow players think about dangerous animals idea?

Since animals are already confirmed I think it would make a nice addition to actually have few dangerous species (bears, snakes, wolves, etc.). Those would attack a player only if he is not careful, or if he disturbs their nest.

Dangerous animals could injure the player (light to serious injuries) - and that would add some opportunites to use medical skills without worrying about zombie infection.

What dangerous animals are there in Knox county? Coyotes, bears, alligators? Wild dogs would be around the towns. Would be fun to watch dogs fighting zombies!

The zombies would win or the dogs would run away. How is a dog going to bust open the skull? Another thing I have heard people say that animals will start preying on zombies for food sources (not on this forum but elsewhere). I also disagree with this. Zombies are rotten meat sacks, only a scavenger would eat a zombie and I do not think there are many scavenger animals capable of taking down even a lone zombie, and let us not forget that zombies travel in hordes most of the time. The rest of the animals would probably treat zombies like bees and just stay away from them because they hurt and are not so easy to neutralize. Plus most animals are instinctually afraid of humans and zombies look like humans.

Nope. One of the reasons a zombie outbreak in real life would fail is because zombies are easy prey for wild animals, and the second the animals catch on to that they are going to strike and kill them. Maybe not crush the skull but tearing them to pieces will work fine too.

Animals can eat and digest rotten flesh a lot better then humans can, and a hungry wolf is viscious what the hell is a zombie going to do? I do agree that a horde is going to most likely kill a dog or something, but plenty of zombies are seperated enough to be picked off with little effort.

a horde would never be able to catch the dog to try and kill it. animals have better scent and hearing than humans do and would never get close enough to a group of zombies, or allow a horde close enough to them, to risk becoming prey. even a sleeping dog would know trouble was getting close.

oh, and to the OP...snakes are VENOMOUS, not poisonous.

Thanks syfy :) I will keep that in mind.

@Trojan_Turps: animals appearing more often in the later stages of the game is a great idea!

In early game we have really plenty of food lying around, and in that stage it should be really hard to find wild animal in a city.

Later - why not? Just imagine scavenging a house for some canned food only to find that this house is a wolf lair :D

I think animals in general would avoid zombies (and the player) but could attack back if threatened.

What's more some animals could be a threat to player's farms and crops (just imagine waking up just to see those rabbits eating your fresh planted cabbage) :D

Why would they avoid zombies?

For a wolf a deer would be more of a threat and tougher challenge then a zombie would. Like I said walking food essentially for animals.

Sort of. Its a risk/reward deal with animals and food. Could a single zombie kill a wild dog before it got ripped to little zombie pieces? No, probably not. Could a single zombie cause immense physical damage to a dog? Absolutely, and that's something that nature has pretty much trained itself to avoid. Animals tend to have a pretty good innate grasp on whether or not something is enough of a threat to avoid. My money is that most wild animals would give zombies a pretty wide berth, since they're almost guaranteed to get injured in the process of trying to eat one.

Other than that the only other species I can think of that would really cut into the zombie population right at the start are all in Africa, so in the US or most of the developed world I imagine zombies would remain a threat for an okay chunk of time, though my estimates are that at least most zombies will die withing the first year of the outbreak, if not all. Probably it will really only be a few weeks realistically.

Bears. Unless it's like a dozen+ even a horde isn't going to be much of a threat to a full size Black Bear let alone a Grizzly. Bears of all kinds are very much scavengers and are omnivores in the truest sense of the word, they're often seen picking through garbage dumps eating pretty much any kind of food waste so I could easily see them actively preying on Zombies once they realize they're easy pickings.

The main thing I think that would slow most animals down is the biting, just like with bees stinging. Sure it does not stop bears, but it certainly slows them down a bit. Zombies will continue to bite as they are being eaten which I imagine many animals would not be too found of that.

Bears routinely knock over beehives to get the honey and the stinging doesn't bother them at all. That's why I mentioned Bears specifically, they have thick coats, thick skin, plus the layer of fat underneath it so a handful of Zombies biting them would be little or no concern. There's a reason why packs of Wolves ignore Grizzlies and will actively get out of their way if they come upon one and it decides to stand up and roar at them because they're in it's territory, it's much more of a threat to them than they are to it. Human teeth would be very unlikely to get past the fur of a Bear's coat much less break the skin underneath.

But personally I'd like to see a horde of Zombies vs. a herd of Bison, that should be worth a laugh. It's just too bad that there aren't any Bison herds in Kentucky.

I still wonder though, even with animals feeding on zombies, I do not know that they would actually kill them alot of times, just maim them from all the chewing, which most of the meat is in the stomach/chest area so that is probably where most of the damage would be, which  zombies do not even need that area for the most part.

That much is true, yes, they'd likely leave the head behind. But Pigs will eat things like skulls and there would likely be a lot of them running around. Pigs turn feral in a very short time, a matter of weeks sometimes, so they'd also be a danger to survivors.

.....Actually now that I think about it, Pigs will eat everything but the teeth and they generally don't mind rotten food. Herds of feral Pigs might actually start actively preying on small groups of Zombies. They'd have an easy time of it too, down them by goring the legs then feast away. Pigs are smart enough to avoid being bitten after they realize that the Zombies bite back, they'll learn quickly how to take them down.

Animals would mostly avoid humans and zombies. What most people forget is animals are afraid of humans and zombie is undead version of human so animals would avoid zombies too (except very rare extreme situation).

Also a lot of zombies would be walking in group. Animals are not stupid, if one bear/wolf/wild pig would see a group of zombies they will run away.

Also animals are capable of learning. After some events with zombies they would learn what zombie is and what's the differences beetwen normal humans and zombies ( best example would be dogs in cities).

Also most animals would not want to eat a zombie ever.

Also smell of zombies would be a factor for animals to avoid them.

Animals would mostly avoid humans and zombies. What most people forget is animals are afraid of humans and zombie is undead version of human so animals would avoid zombies too (except very rare extreme situation).

Also a lot of zombies would be walking in group. Animals are not stupid, if one bear/wolf/wild pig would see a group of zombies they will run away.

Also animals are capable of learning. After some events with zombies they would learn what zombie is and what's the differences beetwen normal humans and zombies ( best example would be dogs in cities).

Also most animals would not want to eat a zombie ever.

Also smell of zombies would be a factor for animals to avoid them.

No that really isn't how it will work.

No one forgot about animals avoiding people, it just that we know they would eventually start attacking zombies. Eventually animals are going to start appearing in towns and rural areas and will have to confront zombies, the second they catch on how zombies are slow, stupid, and falling apart they become walking meals for them to grab. And other animals will pick up on this over time.

Zombies aren't like us they aren't going to see a zombie and think "Oh its so dead and scary run away" they will be wary at first but eventually the overpopulating of animals in the area is going to force them to find other sources of food which even today can result in them attacking us.

No that really isn't how it will work.

No one forgot about animals avoiding people, it just that we know they would eventually start attacking zombies.

I don't think anyone can categorically say "This is how it WILL work". We're talking about a completely hypothetical situation so at best, we can speculate.

Personally, I think animals, just like people, have a wide variety of personalities and experiences so would react differently. Some may attack zombies, some may be more cautious and try to avoid, some may literally shit themselves.

Either way, saying you KNOW how the situation would pan out is farcical.

I don't think anyone can categorically say "This is how it WILL work". We're talking about a completely hypothetical situation so at best, we can speculate.

Personally, I think animals, just like people, have a wide variety of personalities and experiences so would react differently. Some may attack zombies, some may be more cautious and try to avoid, some may literally shit themselves.

Either way, saying you KNOW how the situation would pan out is farcical.

100% sure? No. But based on animal behavior in general it's safe to say that's how it will most likely work out.

Think of it this way, what do predators go after? The weak, the sick, the old, and the young. What is a zombie? Essentially a weak, sick human.

What do scavengers go after? Dead things. What are zombies? Dead. The fact that they're still moving would most likely put off scavengers at first but eventually they'd get over it.

a lot of assumptions being made here, and NONE of us know how it would actually work out.

as far as we know, an animal eating the flesh of a zombie could could instantly become sick as a result of the blood being tainted by whatever caused the zombification in the first place. not zombified maybe, but sick in some other way.

maybe the muscle has become a rotten mass of former flesh.

maybe it has so much curdled blood in it that it has no benefits to the animal who eats it.

pretty sure wild animals would not be coming in close contact to a horde of zombies, if for no other reason than base instinct and possibly fear of the unknown.

but this whole thing is all guessing, none of us know the truth of the matter as it has never happened, is unlikely to ever happen.....and if it ever did, we would be more concerned with keeping ourselves alive. fuck the wild life, they would still be OUR food sources

Animals wouldn't go to a horde. It is a numbers thing.

And I don't understand, you all are aware animals do go into towns sometimes and attack people for food right, like without the apocalypse? Just now we have no hunters or animal control, the chaos of a town or anything to keep them out. I mean once they DO start running out of food do you really think they aren't going to try attacking a zombie? And once they do find out how much of an easy meal they are, they will keep coming back because nothing will stop them.

Further more I don't know why anyone is trying to defend zombies, humans survived the early years from having thumbs and a higher capacity to think without those we would have died off, we didn't have claws, sharp teeth, or any other mean, and Zombies have literally no survival, except ironically being undead, otherwise they are slow, useless, no real reflexes constant decay. And since we aren't having animal zombies, obviously animals have some form of immunity to them, so what if a zombie bites them, the rest of the pack will keep attacking, or the animal strikes back. Won't take them much effort.

We don't need a degree in animal psychology to understand that if an animal is deprived of food it is going to get aggressive and look to other sources, and as time passes zombies WILL end up being seen as a meal ticket, and I challenge someone to try and tell me another scenario where somehow wild animals don't have a habitat problem, during a time like this, when it happens already.

I dunno about you guys, but I'm partially interested in a bit of the lore these animals will give us.

For example, can the animals be infected? If not, will they die?

Can they eat the zombies and survive?

I'm personnaly more interested in running experiments on the little things ^^

I dunno about you guys, but I'm partially interested in a bit of the lore these animals will give us.

For example, can the animals be infected? If not, will they die?

Can they eat the zombies and survive?

I'm personnaly more interested in running experiments on the little things ^^

They already confirmed no for zombie animals.

[n]    Zombie Beasts or Infected Animals