Are item properties hardcoded or duplicated outside of items.txt?

drNovikov

I am trying to test different aspects of the game and modding, so I opened the "items.txt" file and changed some values for Butter Knife. But they does not apply when I start the game and create a new sandbox.

For example, I changed it's DisplayName to "Butter Knife Test", but in the game it is still "Butter Knife". I changed it's Weight to "3" and WeaponWeight to "2", but in the game it's still "0.3".

Here are my questions:

1. Why changes to "items.txt" don't apply? Are item properties hardcoded? Is there another file to edit?

2. Which is the best way to modify existing items? For example, if I want to alter their names, weight, durability, damage, etc?

I am playing the current Desura version, which seems to be (according to Desura changelog) 2.9.9.10.

Looks like I've solved this issue. I had an items.txt.bak file in the same directory. I moved it to another directory -- and new items.txt was applied!

I will do some additional tests, but at this moment it seems like the game reads every text file in the directory and applies them in some order, possibly redefining some values or giving one file a priority over another.

Update:

I put the .bak file back in the scripts directory -- all the old properties and values appeared in the game!

That means, modders can alter default items and keep items.txt without making users to edit, delete or rewrite it, thus making possible easy uninstalling by just deleting mod files.

Further test showed that the game applies the file which names is "lower" in alphabetical order.

I put the .bak file back in the scripts directory -- all the old properties and values appeared in the game!

That means, modders can alter default items and keep items.txt without making users to edit, delete or rewrite it, thus making possible easy uninstalling by just deleting mod files.

Further test showed that the game applies the file which names is "lower" in alphabetical order.

With version 2.9.9.17 there is basically no need to touch the vanilla files anymore because all mods are installed into the mods folder ;)