Importance of sleep and factors that affect sleep.

TIC321

Hey guys, TIC here and I have been thinking of another awesome suggestion that will involve.. Sleep!

What is sleep and how can we improve it with Project Zomboid?

Sleep is an essential need that will replenish your overall energy and you know what they say, sleep heals all wounds.. or does it? Keep in mind zombification wouldn't be cured from sleep ;)

Treating your character's well being should be associated with how well you will sleep and it should be a gift more than something so easy to do when you're in an apocalyptic environment.. Over time, sleep should be easier as your character begins to adjust unless you develop insomnia.

What should happen while you are asleep?

Well, that depends on many factors. The factors that are present in game should be a benefit or a doubt to your replenishment of your energy. This may include levels of hunger, thirst, panic, depression, pain, sickness, etc. All this doesn't seem to put any adverse affects on sleep currently and I believe this should be a good way to improve the importance of sleep.

Here on out, I'll be adding/editting this list of how sleep should function.

• In a higher state of fear/panic, sleeping should be incredibly difficult. If one manages to sleep with the aid of sleeping tablets/booze, then the player shall see effects of nightmares that may include explicit images of gore and disfigured zombies which may wake the player up in an increased state of paranoia.
  • With cigarettes implemented already, you may want to open this spoiler for more detailed information(large paragraph inbound)

this should play a role involving your sleep by  using other tobacco products like cigars can affect your sleep in several important ways. It all has to do with the active ingredient, nicotine.First, depending on your level of use and dependence, your desire for additional nicotine during your sleep may cause you to awaken and this may lead to insomnia. Nicotine itself is a stimulant and the use of it too close to bedtime may also make it difficult for you to fall asleep.

(Source here)

• Sleeping should also be functioned by the temperature. Waking up cold/hot during the day or night should be a possibility. Opening/closing windows or doors should aid in this or changing clothing.
  • In stages of zombification, sleep deprivation should be a common symptom where sleep will become more difficult to achieve.
  • Becoming sick should be a bit easier to gain rest as sick makes you lethargic. If fever settles in, then it may be reduced by sleeping more unless zombified.

pz7.jpg

What's going on around me while I'm sleeping as time passes?

Great question! Currently as I know, nothing really happens to you while you are sleeping other than gaining back your energy.

Depending on your situation and your location of your area where you are sleeping, you may encounter things that may interrupt your sleep immediately such as glass shattering nearby or hearing gunshots at any stage of sleep. In the earlier stages of sleep, you may be kept up at night by the sounds of zombies groaning/growling in your vicinity. Wearing earbuds that are present in the game may reduce the sound around you slightly which would aide in your sleep but decreasing awareness of your defenseless character as he sleeps.. So yeah, if you want to achieve a better sleep, it'd put you at a possibility of a greater risk of being attacked unless you ensure your safety by barricading/locking your location.

Some kind of future overhaul I hope.

Completely agreed. Sleep definitely needs a rework by adding things to make sleep more of an importance to earn.. You thought finding food/water was hard? Sleep can be the same for that extra challenge.

Comfort should be based on the material of what you're using to sleep. Like sleeping on a chair would cause you to wake up a lot more than a bed would since sleeping in a sitting position isn't quite comfortable really..