All the hate bandits get

Clayman

I don't understand why people get so angry, when you kill them on a PVP server. I see this all the time, these so-called friendly people trashtalk me and other bandits, playerkillers, looters in chat. There is a hostility towards this way of playing, which i could understand if it was a roleplay server, or killing on sight wasn't allowed on the specific sever, but when playing on a PVP server that might not have the PVP safety button, it is totally fine to be a bandit imo.

People assume im an asshole or cheater, and i would like to make this post to point out the fact that you find assholes on both the friendly, and on the bandit side. I see friendly people openly talking about having multiple characters, so they can run loot safely, with their lvl 10 carpenter safely offline. A lot also combat log. These things are commonly accepted, no one lifts an eyelid. But if you kill someone (on a PVP server!), people get visibly angry. This i cannot understand.

I recognize it's annoying to get killed if you are leveled up, but the danger of getting killed, is why i, and others presumambly, play on PVP servers. Without bandits, it would get very very boring imo.

Btw i sometimes play non-bandit, and even though getting killed sucks, i really appreciate the danger that bandits provide.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree on this. If you play PVP, expect PVP! Simple enough. :P

I've never really been a bandit, (except that ONE time) but without them, you don't really fear the environment as much as you would with them. And the game would get boring if you wanted to play a PVP server, and no one did any PVP. I personally love getting attacked/chased/killed by bandits. I get a sort of adrenaline fueled clumsiness I normally wouldn't get. The sense of loss, and losing, is what makes these games great.

All in all, if you don't want to get scared, don't play a horror game. If you don't want to get killed by a player, don't play PVP.

• 4 weeks later...

I'd go as far as to say that it's because death is NOT permanent. 

If you kill someone they will come back and hunt you down, if you kill a bandit they will respawn and come back.

PvP is PvP though.

I think a lot will be remedied when the world gets a lot bigger so everyone isn't cramped in the same places and you can hold up somewhere, unnoticed.

Where you would want to go unnoticed and hide from bandits.

Also they REALLY need to make world chat only if you have a radio, and not show names above peoples heads at all. 

Remedied? It is good that you actually meet people on mulitplayer servers, so i don't think its a good thing the map gets bigger, if that doesnt mean an increase in players. 

About your world chat and showing names concerns: These thing are server dependant. The admins of the servers can remove those features if they wish to do so.

Also you can easily make bases in places where they are pretty much completely secure.

For me, most of the frustration comes from high level PKs that zip (literally blur with level 10 sprint) across the server slaughtering everything. It puts coop players at a huuuuuuge disadvantage because they will not only let you level your char up, but stand no chance of taking you down partly because they aren't on the KILL EVERYTHING mindset and don't KOS, giving you the first attack.

It's like on WoW when a high level char camps a low level char. How is that shit even fun?

I will say that I don't get as frustrated in PZ as DayZ. In PZ it is actually fairly simple to level your toon back up and find some decent loot.

All this said, I will continue to get slaughtered on PVP servers by cockbag bandits and rejoice every time I kill one.

For me, most of the frustration comes from high level PKs that zip (literally blur with level 10 sprint) across the server slaughtering everything. It puts coop players at a huuuuuuge disadvantage because they will not only let you level your char up, but stand no chance of taking you down partly because they aren't on the KILL EVERYTHING mindset and don't KOS, giving you the first attack.

It's like on WoW when a high level char camps a low level char. How is that shit even fun?

I will say that I don't get as frustrated in PZ as DayZ. In PZ it is actually fairly simple to level your toon back up and find some decent loot.

All this said, I will continue to get slaughtered on PVP servers by cockbag bandits and rejoice every time I kill one.

Most of those players with level 10 skills on public servers probably didnt achieve that legit.  To easy to alter your character these days, its especially prevalent on Public Servers.

Those who are high lvl worked to become high lvl. When they die, the work hard to become high lvl again. You can do the same, and if u want to be safe u will learn in time where not to go, and to be more aware of your surroundings. You can start as policeman and have 3 accuracy, and that can kill anyone.

People go on PVP servers and doesnt prioritze lvling up accuracy, which i don't understand.

Also u cant tell in zomboid when another play is newly spawned or has got lvl 10 accuracy, and if u play on a PVP server without PVP safety, shooting first is the safest.

If you keep dying and can never lvl up, its because you are not playing well enough. Maybe you keep going to central WP, og maybe you dont go for guns, ammo and try to lvl up. Or maybe u play zoomed in and just sprint into town.

Most of those players with level 10 skills on public servers probably didnt achieve that legit.  To easy to alter your character these days, its especially prevalent on Public Servers.

Why do you think this? Do you have any proof? On the sever i play on, EU PVP The good old dayz, there is 10x exp, and you can lvl up to lvl 10 acc in under an hour with the right picked traits and profession, if you have been smart enough to store a load of shotguns + ammo.

Those who are high lvl worked to become high lvl. When they die, the work hard to become high lvl again. You can do the same, and if u want to be safe u will learn in time where not to go, and to be more aware of your surroundings. You can start as policeman and have 3 accuracy, and that can kill anyone.

People go on PVP servers and doesnt prioritze lvling up accuracy, which i don't understand.

Also u cant tell in zomboid when another play is newly spawned or has got lvl 10 accuracy, and if u play on a PVP server without PVP safety, shooting first is the safest.

If you keep dying and can never lvl up, its because you are not playing well enough. Maybe you keep going to central WP, og maybe you dont go for guns, ammo and try to lvl up. Or maybe u play zoomed in and just sprint into town.

The servers aren't KOS servers, they are PVP servers which means it is allowed. So if someone wants to be a cockbag PK, they can easily do it by solely leveling up for the purpose of killing players, without generally having to worry about being killed on sight until they've made a reputation.

Thanks for the advice on my play style, you have any tips on what kind of music I should listen to as well?

Why do you think this? Do you have any proof? On the sever i play on, EU PVP The good old dayz, there is 10x exp, and you can lvl up to lvl 10 acc in under an hour with the right picked traits and profession, if you have been smart enough to store a load of shotguns + ammo.

Yes my proof is from running several servers and catching people who died, coming back alive with all their skills and items as if they never died.  The banlist is real.

I think the hostility is warranted. It's all part of playing a realistic game.

Take the time to think about this:

You're at home, with your stuff that you've earned with your paychecks, eating a steak dinner that you cooked, and all of a sudden someone bursts through your window, stabs you, and steals all your s**t. I would be mad as hell.

Luckily for us, this is just a game and people can be reborn and things can be regathered.

Yes my proof is from running several servers and catching people who died, coming back alive with all their skills and items as if they never died.  The banlist is real.

Ah I see. So u can actually see from logs or something that they still have their skills? Well at least they must be easy to spot.

I think the hostility is warranted. It's all part of playing a realistic game.

Take the time to think about this:

You're at home, with your stuff that you've earned with your paychecks, eating a steak dinner that you cooked, and all of a sudden someone bursts through your window, stabs you, and steals all your s**t. I would be mad as hell.

Luckily for us, this is just a game and people can be reborn and things can be regathered.

I did take time to think about it, but i hardly think you collect paychecks during the zombie apocalypse :) I think its perfectly viable to think someone would kill you for your stuff, or just to be safe when spotting you around the corner in a zombie world.

Also like i said, that kind of thinking is fine on a RP server, but that is not the kind of servers i am talking about.

And lastly i'd say nothing you legitimately can do in the game, deserves the kind of trashtalking hostility i have witnessed. You can even see examples of the words used in this thread.

I think its apart of the challenge, fun, and charm of the game. Its sort of like you see the bridge is now a fort manned by Russian players who speak only a bit of English. They say 'I not shoot you okay?' then they shoot! 'Sorry English not so good. Thought you might be turning zombie. You are welcome.'

'Хорошо наши планы двигаться вперед!'

'Путин будет рад!'

'Так грустно, они не понимают нас.'

'What are you guys saying?'

'Nothing. Honest mistake.'

Who couldn't be charmed by that? :D

And lastly i'd say nothing you legitimately can do in the game, deserves the kind of trashtalking hostility i have witnessed. You can even see examples of the words used in this thread.

I disagree, I believe it is warranted and should be expected by now.

Some people play the game only to ruin the game for other players. This is generally known as griefing.

TL;DR - 1. PKers are cocks. 2. They ruin the gaming experience for some. 3. It is one of the best gaming experiences to kill a PKer. 4. Because of #3, I accept you (but still hate you).

I tried to think of a way to put it so a griefer who is trying to defend it and doesn't see why it would piss people off would understand and here is the best way I could think of:

Imagine we are in a group that is building puzzles. It takes time and effort and not everyone is equal on the playing field of doing puzzles.

You can do it on your own or you can have someone help you.

You can also tip anyone else's table over that is in the room and they have to start over from the first puzzle.

For every puzzle that anyone finishes they become faster at it, get better puzzles, and their table becomes harder to tip over.

Game players or coop players will let everyone do their puzzles and not think twice about it, even if they see someone doing their puzzle nearby. They will even stop theirs to help others who need it.

A griefer would do as many puzzles as he can increasing his speed, getting better puzzles, and strengthening his table then knock over as many tables as he safely can.

Imagine someone who is trying to enjoy the experience of puzzle building with others and wants to see the cooler puzzles at the end of the game, but keeps having to start over from the very beginning because some asshat keeps knocking his table over. I don't imagine that person would stay in the same room building puzzles.

PZ example:

I had a fresh spawn last night, walked about 20 feet and got smoked. The guy didn't even loot my body.

Spawned back in, ran straight for a shotgun and ax (with revenge solely on my mind, usually I run around and level shit up) and went back to where I knew that clown would be.

Surprise, surprise, I hear gun shots and see him chasing a guy with no weapons.

It was like divine intervention.

Because his only purpose in life was to ruin others' experiences I was able to walk right up behind him and drop 6 shells in his back.

This somehow didn't kill him, so I switched to my ax and laid waste.

That was the best feeling I've had in PZ. Instant justice and karma.

That guy spawned back in and about 10 minutes later I see him killing again.

He plays only to kill other players.

The thing is, he isn't phased at all by being killed. He just sees it as his next life in Call of Duty. The players he kills are trying to play together and survive.

Anytime I see PKing I try to figure out where it's at and kill the PKer.

Sometimes it's impossible due to the amount of puzzles they've been allowed to put together.

All that said, I will forever talk shit and bash (which is easy, because their only defense is "it's allowed!" simple counter: "yeah, but you're a piece of shit") KOS players, but I accept and expect their existence.

I also imagine that a player whose only purpose is to grief others is fueled by the bashing and shit talking. So you're welcome.

I do expect to see bad behavior in chat, but that doens't mean that i like it. Because i don't.

I think we basically just differ in our views of what the game IS. To you, bandits ruin the game, to me, they are essential for the game. If there were no bandits, i would not have played the game nearly as much as i have.

No i don't get why people get pissed, because i don't get pissed when i get killed. I might get annoyed, but never at the player who killed me. I get annoyed at my self, because dying means i probably made some kind of mistake. I would never ever trashtalk in chat, and i don't see the point in doing so.

Can i ask why you play on PVP servers to begin with?

You even say the "best feeling" you have had in PZ was to kill a bandit. So are you really sure they ruin the game for you?

And in regard to your last remark: I am personally neither fueld at all by trashtalking, nor is my only purpose to grief. I think trashtalking is bad for the game, bad for the server, just bad behavior. Being a gentleman is the way to go.

My defense for being a bandit is not just that it is allowed, i think it is ethically just fine, and to me it is a core concept of the game.

It is not that i just kill everyone, without thinking about it. You might be surprised to learn that i never kill someone i KNOW for sure is a new spawn, unless they come at me of course. I also never lure players in chat to meet, and then kill them. That would be ethically not ok in my opinion.

I didn't say that bandits ruin the game for me I said they ruin it for some players.

In an open world game with no real objectives, Bandits give me (and others) a purpose. It doesn't mean it's not infuriating when I spawn in and get killed by some dickhole that is killing just to kill. Especially when he's maxed out and there is very little chance of revenge. But I agree that they are more or less essential.

No i don't get why people get pissed, because i don't get pissed when i get killed.

You don't get pissed when you're killed because you're playin it like deathmatch. Players get pissed because they're playin for survival. I don't see how you don't "get" it, unless you're being willfully ignorant. When a player is killed by a bandit, the bandit has just taken away hours (if not days) that they've put in that toon. Opposite of that you get an "Alright! One more down!"

My defense for being a bandit is not just that it is allowed, i think it is ethically just fine, and to me it is a core concept of the game.

It is not that i just kill everyone, without thinking about it. You might be surprised to learn that i never kill someone i KNOW for sure is a new spawn, unless they come at me of course. I also never lure players in chat to meet, and then kill them. That would be ethically not ok in my opinion.

The purpose of a rogue player or coop player is to scavenge/survive/build shit or whatever they choose to do.

The purpose of a PKK is to kill player-killers or bandits.

The purpose of a Bandit (aside from giving PKKs a purpose) is what? Whatever answer you could come up with is why Bandits are dickholes IMO.

I'm using the word Bandit as a synonym for PK or someone that KOS. A bandit would be nothing else unless on an RP server.

Don't be confused, I'm not tryin to tell you how to play the game or anything like that. You started this thread, I'm telling you why people hate you for your play style.

Way I see it, killing is fine on a post-apocalyptic set game. Even if you don't have a reason. If you're tired of being shot on sight then create your own little server which doesn't allow Pvp, if you're better spirited than that then you can create a character entirely set on policing the new apocalyptic world.

With the docile zombies that leave you alone as soon as you leave their line of sight that we have at the moment, humans are the only real threat. Take that away and you get a building and farming simulator.

Im always amazed by how many people say it would be like this a real life apocalypse. I know for sure I lack the balls to shoot another helpless person on the head and Im rather sure most of humanity would work together to get by. I for one wont be jumping on my neighbours with my trusty kitchen knife to kill them. I would rather bond together. Strength in numbers. It makes absolutely no sense to go on a killing rampage solo.

That being said, if you play on a PvP server its unavoidable getting killed. You choose the server, so its you to blame. I get it, I played a ton of survival games and the chance of PvP makes it more thrilling, but you will get killed and if you dont like that, you need to find a different server.

But, and this is a big but, in general all these type of games just end up in being a PvP fest with a couple of people scraping by playing the game the way Devs in general set it out to be. I cant believe Devs make the game with the idea it should become one giant ass deathmatch, thats just what us gamers turn the sandbox into.

Best solution would probably be a RP server with sides and roles and such, so your PvP is more structured if you dont like the KoS mentality.

I don't understand why people get pissy about looting either-- Apparently I got booted for "looting" on some server-- I didn't even realized I looted. The house was like all torn down, all the windows were smashed and there were corpses everywhere. I assumed the person's safehouse was no longer safe or they died so I took a few things. Scavenging. Minutes later, the connection times out and I can't log back into it.

Meh.

If servers are gonna be up for a long time, punishing players for using game mechanics is going to keep new players from joining those servers-- that kind of situation is bound to happen.

I didn't say that bandits ruin the game for me I said they ruin it for some players.

In an open world game with no real objectives, Bandits give me (and others) a purpose. It doesn't mean it's not infuriating when I spawn in and get killed by some dickhole that is killing just to kill. Especially when he's maxed out and there is very little chance of revenge. But I agree that they are more or less essential.

No i don't get why people get pissed, because i don't get pissed when i get killed.

You don't get pissed when you're killed because you're playin it like deathmatch. Players get pissed because they're playin for survival. I don't see how you don't "get" it, unless you're being willfully ignorant. When a player is killed by a bandit, the bandit has just taken away hours (if not days) that they've put in that toon. Opposite of that you get an "Alright! One more down!"

The purpose of a rogue player or coop player is to scavenge/survive/build shit or whatever they choose to do.

The purpose of a PKK is to kill player-killers or bandits.

The purpose of a Bandit (aside from giving PKKs a purpose) is what? Whatever answer you could come up with is why Bandits are dickholes IMO.

I'm using the word Bandit as a synonym for PK or someone that KOS. A bandit would be nothing else unless on an RP server.

Don't be confused, I'm not tryin to tell you how to play the game or anything like that. You started this thread, I'm telling you why people hate you for your play style.

I don't play the game like a deathmatch, i play the game focused on survival/PVP. But i do agree, like i mentioned earlier, that we bascially view the point of the game in a different way.

I appreciate the insight into a bandit trashtalking persons way of thinking. I think we have made our points.