Hordes Attacking Safe Houses: How I Suggest Fixing It

CaptKaspar

I got to thinking about Zomboid today (which I do often because this game rocks!) and I started thinking about one of the most vocal complaints that I often see about the current game; that hordes never seem to attack our safe houses, so whats the point of building them?

Then I thought: 'Well, why would a zombie attack my safehouse?'

They are attracted to both sight and sound. Possibly smell as well since its a setting, but I don't believe its currently in game. Is it? If so, how is it? What smells and what doesn't?

We the players do not give the zombies many reasons to be interested in our Safe Houses. Think about it.

1. Our Safe Houses give them no sight of us. So there goes 50% of their stimulation source.
  2. There are very few noises that ever come from our Safe Houses. Occasional carpentry (and to be honest I don't think the noise generated from carpentry does a lot to attract zombies). How much noise does cooking, farming, reading books, sleeping, resting, etc make? You get the idea. There aren't even any conversations except an occasional 'Q' call. So what noise would attract them?

Based on how zombies are currently simulated. We the players do a good job of staying off the zombies radar when we're in our safe houses. They don't see us and they don't hear us. And ultimately, I guess, thats the point of the 'Safe' House.

But, I think there are some very realistic changes that could draw hordes based on a character's actions and not just random occurrence luck. I absolutely want the player who is mousey and secretive, that wants to stay hidden from zombies, to still be able to do that. If a player is meticulous in not attracting zombies, then I don't feel it would be good for game play to still throw hordes at them. Maybe a once in a great while random occurrence where a horde comes knocking just to please the probability of them just wondering around, but not often.

So here are my fixes:

1. Have carpentry make more noise. Hammering is loud. (Screws would be quieter ;) )
  2. Have cooking give off a smell. Its a setting already, so lets use it!
  3. Have campfires/lightposts shine light through the visible holes in walls unless they are high level carpentry walls. To have their light reflect off the 2nd story of a house above the player made walls that a zombie could see. Or perhaps be seen at the tops of tall trees that are nearby. Zombies would be attracted to this light.
  4. Have a snoring trait :P Or perhaps if you stay awake until completely exhausted you will snore?
  5. Every time you use chat (including global) it makes a noise. Being able to communicate without punishment is a boon to the player! Perhaps there could be a whisper function for players in your immediate vicinity? If you want to communicate silently with writing and not make a noise, then write it down and give it to them on a notebook or piece of paper.
  6. Make sure that TV/Radio broadcasts make noise that attracts zombies!
  7. Allow us to use CDs with the radio if we have batteries or when the power is on. This would reduce boredom, but would obviously make noise. You guys have great music for the game! I encourage you to make more!
  8. Blood left in a safe house would attract zombies by smell.

These are all player made choices (other than snoring :P ). A player does not have to do any of those things, but should have to deal with the consequences if they do. There is reward is doing all of those, but also a risk. Player driven game-play by their choices and not just random occurrence.

I don't think the behavior of hordes has to change much, but the sources that stimulate them do!

Personally, I think that smell should be the primary driver for this longer range draw mechanism for both small and rare large groups of zombies. Though a case could be made for sound as well, when the air is right in a quiet town, like Muld. or WP these days, sounds could travel quite far. Although the many surrounding trees would reduce sound travel distance pretty fast. I'm thinking more along the lines of hot cooking (Grillin') as a player directed activity that could plausibly cause this effect. I agree completely that any draw mechanism should have a player caused component, so that taking risks could lead to an exciting day or two, while other players might want to mitigate those risks, and should be properly less likely to have a hoard at the door. Good ideas!

Could also be an extra use for bleach, which is everywhere, and yet except for committing hari-kari is pretty pointless, but could be used to disguise the smell of your safe-house, if you wished.

bleach can be used for cleaning blood now, so its not as pointless as it was pre-Build31

Could also be an extra use for bleach, which is everywhere, and yet except for committing hari-kari is pretty pointless, but could be used to disguise the smell of your safe-house, if you wished.

bleach can be used for cleaning blood now, so its not as pointless as it was pre-Build31

I did not know this :)

Noise - Radio's, Music, Building, Talking, Gun Fire.

Sight - Light at night, movement.

Smell - Zombies can smell a trail for a short distance, Smell protein/meat cooking or fresh.

Maybe once a month, zombies on the full moon with have super senses of sight, hearing, and smell so then they can horde your base if you really want that...I pick my bases to be as secluded as possible, the fact its prepared to take on 500 zombies at a time isn't the point.

1. Have carpentry make more noise. Hammering is loud. (Screws would be quieter ;) )
  2. Have cooking give off a smell. Its a setting already, so lets use it!
  3. Have campfires/lightposts shine light through the visible holes in walls unless they are high level carpentry walls. To have their light reflect off the 2nd story of a house above the player made walls that a zombie could see. Or perhaps be seen at the tops of tall trees that are nearby. Zombies would be attracted to this light.
  4. Have a snoring trait :P Or perhaps if you stay awake until completely exhausted you will snore?
  5. Every time you use chat (including global) it makes a noise. Being able to communicate without punishment is a boon to the player! Perhaps there could be a whisper function for players in your immediate vicinity? If you want to communicate silently with writing and not make a noise, then write it down and give it to them on a notebook or piece of paper.
  6. Make sure that TV/Radio broadcasts make noise that attracts zombies!
  7. Allow us to use CDs with the radio if we have batteries or when the power is on. This would reduce boredom, but would obviously make noise. You guys have great music for the game! I encourage you to make more!
  8. Blood left in a safe house would attract zombies by smell.

1. Very good idea
  2. Good idea too
  3. Cant imagine how this should be imported to the current  source
  4. In my opinion - no need to :P
  5. As whisperfunction you could write with 'T' - but nice idea when somebody is writing via chat.. Writing in papers would be nice too but for communicating a bit to much (wouldnt be good for gameplay)
  6. I had this idea too ;)
  7. A radio or tv that makes some sounds would be really nice
  8. Not only blood - corps too! :)