I don't like the walls, but I like the idea.

Etsamaru

I like building walls but I think it's pretty unrealistic how it is implemented. The current walls are just too OP and easy to make.

BARRICADING the heck out of something I understand. (Which is basically lost in PZ because of walls.)

Maybe we should make walls harder to make, where you have to dig holes. Then put in posts. Then you can add a wall to the posts. OR just require posts, but needing to dig would be a nice way to increase the challenge.

It would be harder but not too complicated.

Shovel -> Dig Hole -> Add post -> Dig Hole -> Add Post -> Click between posts -> Add Wall.

or just make it so ADD post requires a shovel too.

Real fences are attached to posts which give them the support.

[]=[]=[]=[]  and then the boards are nailed to the other side.

It would make it longer and harder to build, though I think 5-10 zombies would be able to tear a wall down fast.

right now it's too easy to build walls and just live inside them.

I am open to disagreements, and such.

I just feel that even though they made it a higher level to get to that point, it's still the main goal for most people, and really I don't think it even feels right.

Id also like chain link fences to be put in, in the same manner, maybe having to loot a hardware store or a home depot type place.

PS. Zombies need to climb over counters and tear down normal fences. Also pressing against chain link fences would look awesome. Maybe adding in a weight limit to the fence, showing how much weight it can take before falling over, requiring you to go out and clear the fence. Add ability to stab through chain link fence too.

I agree. It's not so realistic now and it's very easy to make your own base from zero.

I even make a thread about log walls http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/13427-log-walls-realism/ that they should require some digging first.

In real zombie apocalypse scenario people would just barricade houses / buildings not build their own wooden castle from 0 so easily.

I agree, right now wooden walls are very unrealistic. One should need at least a spade, to dig deep enough to guarantee some degree of stability. And that would be very, very tiring. So... maybe dig enough for 3-4 walls segment... then you'll just have to rest, or you risk pulling a tendon.

I think that digging holes for log walls is a very good idea.

Not only it adds some difficulty to the game, but also allows to make "wall blueprints" with the holes, in which you can later insert log (or maybe traps if you decide not to build the wall after all).

I agree building log walls is way too easy and having to dig a hole for each post seems like a reasonable idea. Log walls SHOULD be super resilient though, you're essentially putting tree trunks into the ground. No way a few zombies are going to destroy that. Hell, even a couple dozen zombies wouldn't be able to break them.....you'd need people with axes to do it, just like you had to do to cut down the trees originally.

They do just mystically stand there don't they? With no support at all, realistically a few zeds should be able to just push them over, unless more structure is added or they are dug into the ground as mentioned above.

I really like the idea of having to lay foundations first, poles in the ground makes sense. You could still build an unsupported wall if you want, for raising your carpentry skills or a temporary structure. but it should not withstand the horde for very long if it comes under attack.

The idea of a horde of zombies tearing through an unsupported wall sounds awesome too.

They do just mystically stand there don't they? With no support at all, realistically a few zeds should be able to just push them over, unless more structure is added or they are dug into the ground as mentioned above.

*Cough* Some suspension of disbelief may be required. ;-)

But yeah, I like the idea of having multiple unique steps, or more detail, such as foundation -> frame -> sheathing material.

Building walls should require some better foundation IMO, but IRL you can drag dozens of logs just roll them around. Or put em on a truck.

Its rather sad that the lumber stock piles have like 30 logs. 3 minutes and you can cut that many down.

Dragging the logs is tiresome IMO, there should be a cart/wagon to move them around. Or at least something buildable near the end. Maybe a horse or animal can even pull the wagon.

Probably will die very soon, but it'd be nice.

Yup. I'm in support of the basic need for a spade and some post holes for wall structure when building fences. It seems like a good idea: adds realism, makes larger wall lengths more time intensive, and requires an additional neccesary item to scavenge for.

It must be considered however, that the same functional piece is used for walls inside a structure, where post holes would be irrelevant. So an inside/outside differentiation would be needed.

Yup. I'm in support of the basic need for a spade and some post holes for wall structure when building fences. It seems like a good idea: adds realism, makes larger wall lengths more time intensive, and requires an additional neccesary item to scavenge for.

It must be considered however, that the same functional piece is used for walls inside a structure, where post holes would be irrelevant. So an inside/outside differentiation would be needed.

Yeah I'm with you there, with interior walls.

So maybe if you can still build unsupported walls as normal for interior walls, but they are more easily destroyed.