Checksum-Error-Feedback

Koregan

I would suggest changing the feedback-message when you get kicked by a checksum-error on multiplayer.

At the moment, it is very difficult to run mods on multiplayer.

If a user has non matching files, the admins can only tell them to delete all and install new, because there is a little bit less feedback.

So I think it would be very nice, just to get the name of the non matching lua-files as more detailled feedback.

Could for example look like this:

You were kicked because of non matching lua-files:

'media/lua/client/Camping/ISUI/ISCampingMenu.lua'

'media/lua/client/Camping/TimedActions/ISAddTentAction.lua'

----------------------------------------

Another aspect in the checksum-test is in my opinion the serverfiles being compared.

Why do the serverfiles have to be the same on the client-computers?

I think they are not used by the clients, but are loaded and compared.

Also by this cause, it is not possible to use serverside mods on the server without the clients have the same files installed.

Mods can be used by admins, but any own clientcommands can not be used, because the server has no fitting modfiles on it.

So I would also suggest changing the checksum-system of the only serverside used lua-files.

This would be a great advantage for all serveradmins which want to use mods.

this would be nice.

to get around the issues of people not having the same files, i use a Dropbox link, add the mods to the server from my files and place those files in the Dropbox. guarantees we all have the same versions

Yeah, Dropbox is one way to hand out the needed files to users.

But imagine in a new modversion there is a file now not used any more (for example because lua-files were merged),

Then if a user just copies and overwrites the old files, the not used file is causing a checksum error.

The only safe way is to delete all files, and manually install the mod once again.

I wrote my own autoupdater for our servermod (WIP, actually test-period before installing it)

in order to handle all the manual installation of new versions.

But i am really afraid of some users having checksum-errors.

Beacuse as admin I cannot really help them, because there is no feedback which files are wrong.