Time Survived / Unlocked Habilities

emiliano0086

I would like to know what`s your opinion if some future special features (that would be added in a future) would be unlockable if you survive past some certain amount of months. For example, you survive 1 month, then you die. When you start a new game a special feature is unlocked. The longer you survive the better the feature. This idea become from a post "Baldspot an Kate diferent endings" (http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/13477-baldspot-and-kate-differient-endings/) where the autor was complaining about if you `re doomed to die, what`s the point of play the game?. I agree that your destiny is to die, the question is how. But, in the other hand, if some special  unlockable features are added it gives the player some kind of incentive to keep playing and trying to last the most he can. When i talk about special features i don`t mean super powers/weapons/etc. i think that it could be new kind of hair, beards, some different trousers and that kind of stuff. If someone has another suggestion i would like to hear it.  (fedora)

Some kind of achievments even just for the player would be nice but with no bonuses or very small cosmetic bonuses.

Maybe something like "Hall of fame" could in main menu when there is list of your characters and which one survived most (also online version of this maybe?).

I hate unlockables. However I do believe that the game could benefit from something like obtainable traits. I made a suggestion about obtaining traits during gameplay that can only be obtained by playing like Zombie Killer for killing a ton of zombies that increases damage against zombies.

I will say that characters should evolve somewhat through gameplay in ways other than gaining skills, gain traits, grow hair\beard to give the player some satisfaction and visual feedback for surviving for a long time.

I feel that it would be better to keep the traits how they are. The only thing that would be cool if added was if your traits can change over the coarse of survival.If you are obese you wont stay like that for ever and especially not if you keep running around and doing these extreme activities. Some cases such as bad eyesight and hearing may not be fixable over time but items such as hearing aids and glasses may be added to some extent. (Yes i know. What about the prescription? I say let there be a few types of glasses that can help or hinder.) Then traits such as light eater and such may appear over time but so can negative traits. And for a new little idea. what if you started of as a player but your past was entirely unknown. The jobs, and traits are randomized but will not be shown until discovered in game such as you having better fighting skill after you hold your own against a smaller horde. Or you may realize you were once a chef after making a great meal. This would be a neat little randomizer.

After a little thought, I'm pretty much entirely against a system that allows one play through to unlock anything for subsequent playthroughs...I suppose I could stomach cosmetic changes, hair options, clothing, etc.

And i possibly clothes and hair can change over time too. It would be neat to see as time goes by your hair gets scruffy or you grow a beard. As well as seeing your shirt get more tattered as more zombies manage to get scratches in.

Forgive me, the tittle is wrong. Firs i was thinking that`d be cool some habilities/traits to be unlockable but as many of you commented its unfair. Then i thought that cosmetics features could be added, i don`t know maybe a mohawk hairstyle and things like that. i like what svarog said, that some traits could be obtainable. 

Unlockable abilities for future playhroughs? Eh, doesn't really fit with the theme. Achievements? Sure, why not? Leaderboards for stuff like time survived, zombies killed, etc. would be kinda pointless because they're so easily "manipulated" by script kiddies and the like.

Unlockable abilities for future playhroughs? Eh, doesn't really fit with the theme. Achievements? Sure, why not? Leaderboards for stuff like time survived, zombies killed, etc. would be kinda pointless because they're so easily "manipulated" by script kiddies and the like.

Meh but it does give players a reason to play more. I still stand by my statement but it has good points too.