Best weapon

Is the hammer the best weapon in the game? I have like 30 of them on my first safehouse and 15 on the second one... I find them everywhere, they kill fast and I can keep killing all day without getting tired.

I tried the crowbar but I get tired after 3-4 kills... The nailed baseball bat seems good, but I'm still experimenting with it.

Is it bad that it has a short range? I believe it pays out when you one hit them, or at least makes them fall. I have killed over 500 zombies with hammers and I haven't found any issue with it.
Pistols are awful for me though, but I believe it's because I have 0 aim skill

I've been looking at Weapon scripts recently when making a mod that nerfs all melee weapons. Which weapon is the best depends mostly on your starting profession and traits. Melee weapons are divided into two categories as are melee skills. Blade and Blunt.

If you are a Construction Worker for example, Hammer is definitely going to be more effective than the Axe even if it's base damage is relatively low compared to other weapons but you would probably find that a Baseball Bat is much, much more effective. I never tried the sledgehammer as it's too slow and makes the character exhausted too easily for relatively little profit.

As far as blade weapons go, knives are generally only good for one hit killing zombies that are very close to you, it makes using them risky as you're exposed to scratches and bites. Axe is overkill weapon if you have good Blade skill.

Also, the chance of knocking a zombie down is related less to weapon skills and more to hidden "Strength" skill. The higher it is the higher the chance to knock a zombie down, you also deal more damage with melee weapons the higher you strength is. At least, my experimentation leads me to believe that's how it works because a Hammer, if you look at the scripts, isn't exactly a weapon that you'd think would knock zombies down.

Edit: Oh, and weapon's weight is a factor when it comes to exhaustion. Crowbars are heavier than Baseball Bats that are heavier than Hammers. It's hard to get tired while using a Hammer and it's easier to break down doors without exhaustion with Baseball Bat than it is with a Crowbar.

On 4/10/2015 at 11:22 PM, Guest said:

No way I can see this hidden strength skill? 

It has 10 levels, you start with it at level 5 unless you take a Profession\Trait that alters it, if you do you can see your strength at character creation screen like other skills. I don't think it's possible in game.

Strong Trait = Strength Level 10 as far as I know.

You can gain it in-game by carrying stuff over your capacity limit and I think you can lose it if you never carry much stuff with you.

Edit: You can more\less check it by looking at your max inventory capacity (Non bag) as it affects it. Examples.

8 = Str 5

16 = Str 10

The most powerful weapon in the game is without a doubt the spade. It does almost as much damage as the axe (so it's much stronger than the bat) but hits about as fast as the poolcue and shares the bat's greater pushback. At 1.5 weight, it's also much more practical to carry around than an axe.

The only downsides are its rarity and low durability, but when you know you're in trouble and need to clear a bunch of zeds fast or you're dead, the spade is your best bet. Also, the animation is pretty cool.

The most powerful weapon in the game is without a doubt the spade. It does almost as much damage as the axe (so it's much stronger than the bat) but hits about as fast as the poolcue and shares the bat's greater pushback. At 1.5 weight, it's also much more practical to carry around than an axe.

The only downsides are its rarity and low durability, but when you know you're in trouble and need to clear a bunch of zeds fast or you're dead, the spade is your best bet. Also, the animation is pretty cool.

Where do I have a higher chance to find this spade? And what is it used for? I got curious about it now.

Speaking of durability, I kinda feel like repair materials should come by more often... 

On 4/12/2015 at 2:03 AM, Guest said:

On 4/11/2015 at 1:43 PM, Rass said:

Where do I have a higher chance to find this spade? And what is it used for? I got curious about it now.

Speaking of durability, I kinda feel like repair materials should come by more often... 

i ussually start my game with a trip to mccoy. u find 2-3 axe 2-3 spade- hammer and all the carpentry stuff u can need

I have to stick with the good old bat. When you first find it its a major score and then you get good using it. After while when you find something else it might be better just to stick with the bat. They are also very common and can be upgraded to the spiked bat for more damage, but i wouldn't recommend it due to the lower durability unless you have a stockpile.

Axe > Bat > Knife.

And in order of how common they are:

Knife > Bat > Axe.

I can't use any of the other weapons. Golf Club is completely useless, frying pan is pretty much the same, pool cue is ok but has hardly any durability, and all the knife reskins are useless. The knife is good for a quick kill, but that's about it.

A bat with spikes in is probably the best, since it's pretty common, swings fast, and is almost as strong as the axe.

The hammer has always been my weapon of choice since starting Zomboid.

I try some other weapons like the baseball bat or a knife but nothing seems to work well enough with me as the hammer.

Short swing time, knocksdown, can one hit kill and has a pretty good damage/durability ratio.

I miss the days of the invincible butter knife though.... killing a zombie instantly by stabbing under the chin..but now it breaks in a few uses.

The hammer has always been my weapon of choice since starting Zomboid.

I try some other weapons like the baseball bat or a knife but nothing seems to work well enough with me as the hammer.

Short swing time, knocksdown, can one hit kill and has a pretty good damage/durability ratio.

I miss the days of the invincible butter knife though.... killing a zombie instantly by stabbing under the chin..but now it breaks in a few uses.

Another hammer user :)

Don't forget about killing as many zombies as you want without getting tired.

I think the hammer actually needs a slight damage increase I've worked with a hammer like this a few times in reality and it could do serious damage if you hit someone in the head with it let alone a zombie.

In reality if you hit someone hard I think one or two hits could potentially cave in their skull at the site where it hits.

There was a reason why hammers were a common used weapon in medieval times due to it not needing a long swing and it smashing through suits of armor which knights would wear and hitting them in the small eye sockets and as such someone could use it with a shield as well.

Steel-Hammer-with-black-rubber-handle-84

I'd love to see a Stiletto in the game at some point as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairbairn%E2%80%93Sykes_fighting_knife

I already kill them with 1-2 hits with the hammer, so the damage seems fine to me.
Wow, I had no clue they could smash through the helmet they used, I figured it were stronger.

I'd love to see a crossbow/bow in game. 

On 4/13/2015 at 5:40 AM, Guest said:

I already kill them with 1-2 hits with the hammer, so the damage seems fine to me.

Wow, I had no clue they could smash through the helmet they used, I figured it were stronger.

I'd love to see a crossbow/bow in game. 

Well, it didn't exactly smash through. it caved in a part of the helmet and that squashed the head inside.

Afaik crossbows and bows are eventually going to be implemented along with hunting.

Best melee weapon right?

Spade is incredibly efficient, decent damage, good weight. Good Range. 

Fire Axe beats it in a straight up damage contest, and can break down doors and trees with ease.

Sledge is horrible for self defense but can break walls.

Best weapon is the shotgun IMO

Sawed off Has good spread and great damage, and if sling-ed not too heavy.

Best melee weapon right?

Spade is incredibly efficient, decent damage, good weight. Good Range. 

Fire Axe beats it in a straight up damage contest, and can break down doors and trees with ease.

Sledge is horrible for self defense but can break walls.

Best weapon is the shotgun IMO

Sawed off Has good spread and great damage, and if sling-ed not too heavy.

Do I actually need a high aiming to hit something? I tried the pistol and it was awful to hit something lol

I have found that the kitchen knife is extremely good. If timed correctly it is a guaranteed kill, unless your guy is heavily panicked, then it is dangerous. Only downside is its low durability. 

Get a hunting knife. It can be mostly found in gun shops or in the shooting range, works exactly the same as the kitchen knife but has 10x more durability.