Overweight, Obese, and stamina

SomeRandomGuy

So I got to thinking after switching from my overweight character to my athletic character and noticing that the only difference is the overweight guy gets tired faster.....this is actually not very realistic. One of my best friends is overweight (beer gut and everything) but he plays sports and is active so he has more stamina than I do. I'm more agile and can run faster than him because I'm lighter, but I'm not that active so I don't have a lot of stamina. He's fit but overweight, I'm normal weight but unfit.

What would be more realistic is if overweight gave a penalty to run speed, but stamina was dependant soley on fitness.

Obese, yes, you only get that way by being overweight and unfit so it should have it's current massive stamina penalty as well as slower run speed.

I'd suggest a new trait, "unfit", to do what overweight currently does with having a fitness penalty, and give overweight a run speed penalty but otherwise have normal fitness. Obese would essentially be the combination of the two with an even bigger penalty to both.

So I got to thinking after switching from my overweight character to my athletic character and noticing that the only difference is the overweight guy gets tired faster.....this is actually not very realistic. One of my best friends is overweight (beer gut and everything) but he plays sports and is active so he has more stamina than I do. I'm more agile and can run faster than him because I'm lighter, but I'm not that active so I don't have a lot of stamina. He's fit but overweight, I'm normal weight but unfit.

What would be more realistic is if overweight gave a penalty to run speed, but stamina was dependant soley on fitness.

Obese, yes, you only get that way by being overweight and unfit so it should have it's current massive stamina penalty as well as slower run speed.

I'd suggest a new trait, "unfit", to do what overweight currently does with having a fitness penalty, and give overweight a run speed penalty but otherwise have normal fitness. Obese would essentially be the combination of the two with an even bigger penalty to both.

That makes sense, although I think the amount of positive points for traits obesity gives you will have to be reduced.

Well i think it's some kind of mental leap by devs where obese mean overweight and unfit because in most cases it's true in RL.

Those cases when someone is obese and fit are very rare i would say.

I feel that's untrue. I know people who can hardly see there feet but they can run like hell. I don't really know how.

Actually having more weight may contribute to the amount he can run since when you are running and burning all the carbohydrates you use for as energy your body turns to using fat as energy and then muscle if it comes down to it.

Well.. it doesn't work in that way. Obese person burn a lot more energy while running due to have more weight and get exhausted sooner than person with normal weight.

I feel that's untrue. I know people who can hardly see there feet but they can run like hell. I don't really know how.

There's a difference between being overweight and actually being obese, overweight just means you weigh more than your ideal weight (usually around the middle, the so-called beer gut) but you can still be physically fit otherwise. Obese means you are so overweight the flab spills out everywhere, think Sherman Klump from the Nutty Professor.

It certainly is untrue for some people, but what you have to consider is that these are "rare" cases and PZ is a game which uses stats to simulate a certain type of person.

It certainly is untrue for some people, but what you have to consider is that these are "rare" cases and PZ is a game which uses stats to simulate a certain type of person.

Its still possible so why not make it a separate trait in general in case you want to have one of these exceptions.