Suggestions around NPC/Occupations

TIC321

Hey guys, TIC here! This is my first and official post to the forums as I am fairly new to these parts of Project Zomboid. I mainly take part on ideas for DayZ and most of them have been implemented and I feel I shall do the same to increase the fun value of the games I truly enjoy and make it enjoyable for everyone else too! :)

For it being my first post, I made sure it follows up with the criteria.

• Is it somewhat realistic? Highly realistic.
  • Does it fit with the spirit of PZ? Highly recommended to be a core feature.
  • Would it make the game too easy? All depends on how you treat/encounter survivors!
  • Would it require rewriting the entire game (like changing the camera view, for instance) Possibly.
  • Would it add enough to the gameplay that it would be worth taking the time to add? Not only does it stand it's ground as a main feature, it'll also increase replay value. Which is something that is very needed to those who play this game less frequently.
  • Would it be found in Muldraugh, Kentucky common enough to be added? Everywhere!
  • For zombies: Does it fit at least somewhat into Romero/Brooks zombie lore (the basis for 'proper' zombies)? ✓ Yes!

Now enough about me, let's continue onto this great project of a game.

head.png

This idea is mainly based in Single Player/Co-Op, possibility of expanding to multiplayer is highly recommended at the start of the server that involve NPC's.

Spawning in buildings based on occupation(chance based)

Whether your character is either at home at the time a zombie apocalypse has started or was doing their daily grind at their jobs, I believe having a chance of randomly spawning to either your workplace or your home would be great. From what I noticed, when you pick Chef, you spawn in a restaurant. 

• Spawning at your workplace would bring the possibility of adding NPC co-workers in the future, which means either you or someone else would be the group leader and you can choose to stay, slay or leave them behind. A possibility of one of your co-workers eventually becoming insane if things go downhill.
  • Would create some authenticity and a backstory of your character. Spawning at home would also have a chance of your loved one being at your home at the time of the apocalypse occurring as well.
  • Would greatly add into roleplay values, uniforms according to your occupation would be required. (Except unemployed)

Here are some examples of occupations would lead you to spawn to these locations.. Typically the name implies of what locations would be desired.

REMINDER: With more occupations added, they'll be given the same treatment of locations to spawn matching with their occupations too.

Doctor/Nurse: Clinic, hospital, pharmacy.

Police Officer/Security Guard: Police Departments, public locations requiring security, near an intersection aiding fellow officers from zombies.

Park Ranger: Around parks that have cabins/picnic tables.

Chef/Burger Flipper: Restaurants, school cafeteria, fast food diners.

Burglar: Near a window of a building of either residential, business and such.

Carpenter/Con. Worker: Near a warehouse, on the job site.

Veteran: Mainly around home.

Lumberjack: In the woods near a cabin or lumber mill.

Fitness Instructor: At the park, beach, playground.

Repairman: Hardware stores, electronic stores or at a convenience store.

NPC ideas

Along with what I've said above about how some NPC's would eventually become insane when things start to go downhill, each NPC should have their own traits that would reflect upon them like how your own character does. All things listed is heavily based on what traits they have.

Most survivors at the initial apocalypse will often head to combat to fend themselves off from the zombie threat without the knowledge of how powerful zombies can be as a group so zombies roaming around the map in response to gunfire or shrieks of pain will become more an occurrence through the beginning of the apocalypse, slowly decreasing overtime.

Example: 60% decrease around 3 days to 1 week and slowly climbs to a decrease throughout the time as they become more aware of the situation.

• You should be given choices on how you may converse with other survivors, something relevant to most RPG's. Example: (click here)
  • When panicked during combat, they may retreat to go venture on their own if overwhelmed.
  • An organized group of survivors will eventually gain the confidence to control the zombie threat. Survivors would need to require books to read to gain the knowledge to do things that are new to them that don't surround their occupation.
  • Some survivors will prove their helpfulness or a big threat to the group entirely, depending on how they are treated.
  • Depending on the duration of the occurrence of the zombie apocalypse, survivors will have a higher risk of dying from a zombie or new threats as they aren't accustomed to this new lifestyle of survival-ism which will mean they'll take different approaches such as becoming one of these different attitudes on means of survival: Psychopath, coward(initial apocalypse mainly), team player and such.
  • Some survivors will remain in their homes as they believe that is the safest. Some zombies will become attracted to their presence and you could potentially save them and recruit them on your own to increase survival.

Feel free to share your thoughts/ideas and more here! This will be modified.

Actually you already spawn into buildings randomly according to your occupation (although I'm not sure if the new professions have been added spawn points). The places just aren't your workplace as the devs have wanted everyone to have somewhat of an even start. I do agree that spawning in workplaces could prove interesting. However you also have to note that currently the building you spawn in will be empty, so if you'd spawn into a hospital, you'd have the whole building to yourself.

Sanity is also something that has been discussed and might be implemented. I'm not sure that everyone/most should be effected however. There needs to be some big prerequisites for it. I think it should be the same for the player and NPCs. I do like your idea of RPG elements and I think that the coming NPC personalities will direct the game in that direction. But these additions would most likely not be on the first few NPC builds.

Very good ideas, most of them have been talked about, but all in all a very nicely thought out first post! Welcome to the forums, we're glad to have you with us!! (clyde) (clyde) (clyde)

I think spawning in own character's house is best option because as Suomiboi said you could spawn in very very good place.

It could be a sandbox option though but when you spawn in places like hospitals etc there should be zombies all over the place so you would need to get out quickly but it would be very fun and interesting to start in those places.

The thing I'd like to point out about spawning at the places that are related to your occupation is that things would probably be in use by your co-workers to start their survival so perhaps items for you would be there, or would not. It all depends on the situation. Co-workers would start setting up a foundation within the building like covering windows with sheets or even start cooking meals or some of them would retreat back to their homes to find their family or loved ones but end up dying from zombies on the way there. This would be something I'd love to see in the future.

I appreciate all of your feedback! :)

What if the thief instead of spawning near a house they may spawn in a different house or some sort of warehouse where they are storing the goods. That or possibly the bank. That place never had any real use.

Great idea! If vehicles would ever be implemented perhaps you'd be in the middle of loading a vehicle full of various things as a thief but your vehicle is actually quite low on fuel with an accomplice. Now that would be interesting. Your accomplice would have a great chance of leaving you behind when things get hairy.

What if the thief instead of spawning near a house they may spawn in a different house or some sort of warehouse where they are storing the goods. That or possibly the bank. That place never had any real use.

Great idea! If vehicles would ever be implemented perhaps you'd be in the middle of loading a vehicle full of various things as a thief but your vehicle is actually quite low on fuel with an accomplice. Now that would be interesting. Your accomplice would have a great chance of leaving you behind when things get hairy.

That is even better but the question is which comes first. NPCs or vehicles? I still have to say that a museum would be great to add into the new town so if you are a thief you may spawn in there. Then it could be that you are stealing some master work of art or history. That would be great and get rid of the huge museum rant. (idk if it is still relevant now but there was a small group who wanted to add a museum but people saw no purpose.)

That is even better but the question is which comes first. NPCs or vehicles? I still have to say that a museum would be great to add into the new town so if you are a thief you may spawn in there. Then it could be that you are stealing some master work of art or history. That would be great and get rid of the huge museum rant. (idk if it is still relevant now but there was a small group who wanted to add a museum but people saw no purpose.)

I'd say NPC's would probably be best to go first since if you happen to choose a burglar/thief, then there could be a chance that you could spawn in someone else's home and that person may come to that home and see you intruding and have a high chance of them attacking you if you wait long enough.. Or if you cross paths with that person you stole their house from, they'll get the idea that you were the same person stealing if you happened to touch any of their stuff. :D

I'd say NPC's would probably be best to go first since if you happen to choose a burglar/thief, then there could be a chance that you could spawn in someone else's home and that person may come to that home and see you intruding and have a high chance of them attacking you if you wait long enough.. Or if you cross paths with that person you stole their house from, they'll get the idea that you were the same person stealing if you happened to touch any of their stuff. :D

I feel i would walk in, find a person with a gun, and attempt to take them with my pro fork skills.  8-)

I think most of these ideas are going to be in the game except the initial apocalypse combat suggestion. Npc's from I read are to have unique personalities, and try to survive the apocalypse in there own way.

Wonder if NPCs start with anything besides the normal starting clothes and keys.

I think most of these ideas are going to be in the game except the initial apocalypse combat suggestion. Npc's from I read are to have unique personalities, and try to survive the apocalypse in there own way.

Wonder if NPCs start with anything besides the normal starting clothes and keys.

This should be dependent on the duration of the apocalypse. Perhaps when you start off it should vary by people being well stocked on items but after awhile these seasoned veterans will improve their survival but in return they'll be more desperate on the search for the items that are required for their survival, like yourself. Which means that they may become more vicious and aggressive or they'll give you some type of trade offer.

Over time, these NPC survivors would be showing how accustomed they are to their surroundings in comparison to normal society which means after a month or so they'll start building a community that would attract more survivors to join and take their route for good or evil. And yes, communities should be in depth such as if they are low on food altogether, they'll start hunting animals as a group(hunting humans perhaps?)

What I'd suggest for NPC's for starting off should be mainly nothing if they happen to spawn in their homes and if they spawn in an area that surrounds their occupation, they'd have items related to that place. Such as a chef would spawn in a restaurant which could have them wielding a kitchen knife.