Weapon Nerf Mod

Svarog

A rather simple mod that Nerfs all melee weapons, disabling the ability to hit more than 1 zombie at a time. It also disables the ability to push away 3 zombies at a time.

Created for the sole purpose of making the game harder and making running away a default reaction to seeing a horde bigger than 3 zombies. With this mod, having an Axe won't make you a zombie killing machine and you shouldn't even dare to try taking on more than 3 zombies as they WILL get you and kill you.

Download: http://pz-mods.net/gameplay/WeaponNerf/

Required Version: Project Zomboid Early Access Build 31.13

EDIT: All of my smaller mods can be found in this thread, leave feedback there.

I made a small update to add some more balancing. Crowbars should be more effective in both breaking doors and killing zombies. While they may be one handed weapons, they are heavy, causing exhaustion faster, and made of metal so they really should have been more effective in damaging things than Wooden Baseball bats + they are rarer than other blunt weapons.

If anyone using the mod has some suggestions when it comes to balancing things, please let me know. So far I've been using the mod myself but I find myself pretty good at surviving without OP weapons so any feedback is very welcome.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A question to anyone using the mod. How do you feel about the difficulty it adds?

Personally I still find it easy to survive encounters with 8-12 zombies, at first, after making this mod I played with Normal zombie count but soon went back to Insane. I typically play with combat oriented character builds though (Stout Construction Worker is very effective with most common weapon - Baseball Bat) because I enjoy a nomadic playstyle, the difficulty is definitely better for me because there is no way in hell I can take out 50+ zeds without any effort unless I have a shotgun or a pistol and a ton of loaded 9mm magazines (Which, if you ask me, should be the only options to deal with big hordes in PZ) but I only got scratched ONCE over 3 months of survival and took out 2000 zeds with ease.

I'm thinking about further nerfing melee weapons in this mod but I really need feedback on this. I consider myself very, very good at surviving in PZ and I will nerf weapons for myself but I'm looking for feedback on whether I should share it with others.

I like that fact that if you see a horde it makes you hesitate if you have a Mele weapon. Being able to knock down 2 walkers at the same time is a very rare occurrance if you're lucky at best but with your Mod it makes you want to avoid fighting more than 3 walkers which for me it feels more realistic and keeps you on the edge.

I really like how your mod levels up difficulty.

I find myself good at surviving as well (3300+ kills on insane zombies some time ago). Your mod changed the way I approach zombies. Now I prefer to get their attention with shouting and running then herd them into a giant meat-ball and lure them away somewhere distant. I do that with bigger hordes (think WP downtown). I pick off smaller groups by 1-2-3 zombies at a time. Knock one down and stomp it while pushing the others away > rinse & repeat.

Before your mod I easily could engage groups of 10-14 zombies with a baseball bat or axe because of hitting and 99% of the time knocking down 2 zombies at a time. Now I'd not risk it. I always play with insane amount of zombies.

In what way do you intend to nerf weapons further?

In what way do you intend to nerf weapons further?

Play around with critical chance and knockback mostly. I want to lower the amount of zeds I can take out without any problems, right now it's much lower than it used to be but not quite where I'd like it to be. We'll see, I'll start a new game soon and start tooling around.